Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Tutorial Request on painting naked blades

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Yojiro
Youngblood
Youngblood
Yojiro

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Shadow Warriors (Unofficial) Shadow Warriors (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

Tutorial Request on painting naked blades  Empty
PostSubject: Tutorial Request on painting naked blades    Tutorial Request on painting naked blades  Icon_minitimeThu 22 Jan 2015 - 18:25

Good afternoon people!

Over the course of my painting life, I have noticed that one of the steps that I originally thought would be the easiest and more prone to improvement has turned out to be the one where I seem not to evolve at all.

I need to learn how to paint a blade - be it sword, dagger, halberd or whatever - to a much higher standard, as I believe my attempts are severely sub-par at best.

So... can anyone help?
Back to top Go down
poniatowski
Youngblood
Youngblood
poniatowski

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial Request on painting naked blades    Tutorial Request on painting naked blades  Icon_minitimeThu 22 Jan 2015 - 19:20

OK, as I am new here, I will defer to others advice, but i have been painting on a semi-pro level for many years. I even work for a painting company.

You can go two ways with weapons.... non-metal metalics... not just for professionals.... you just need ot be ablke to blend and paint straight lines.... and metalics.

The way I layer metalics is pretty simple.
For steel....
1. I start with Iron Wind or Parth "Steel".. is is very dark.
2. I decide which side to highlight (usually the one that best shows off the weapon or armor angle).
3. I paint the leading edge or flat with a mix of Steel and GW Chainmail.
4. I crest just the edge with GW shining silver.
That will give a 3 fold shading effect. You can also hit the back side of the blade or reverse slope of the armor with a ligth drybrush of the silver.

Now, when I say reverse side or opposite edge, I mean the adjoining surfaces. Id the blade is flat, I will paint it steel and then take a black thin paint pen or fine brush and paint a straight line down the center to give it depth.
On armors, I will then usually follow all of the painting with an ink wash...depending upon the look I want to go for.... rusty, shiney, old, etc..... redbrown ink, clear seal or black respectively.

I hope this helps a little bit.

When you get copmfortabel with this, you can then start using a very fine brush... tripple 0 (use SABLE)..... and start painting on reflective lieght in the form of star shapes etc.... to highlight one specific area. The same you would do on a pommel gem.
Back to top Go down
NoisyAssassin
Warlord
Warlord
NoisyAssassin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: Bronze Tom Bronze Tom

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial Request on painting naked blades    Tutorial Request on painting naked blades  Icon_minitimeFri 23 Jan 2015 - 18:07

Another simple method:

- coat of slightly watered down GW Boltgun Metal
- coat of a black or brown wash (black for well kept blades, brown for those in ill-repair)
- highlight of Boltgun Metal
- edge highlight of GW Mithral Silver
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial Request on painting naked blades    Tutorial Request on painting naked blades  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tutorial Request on painting naked blades
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum :: General Discussion :: Tutorials-
Jump to: