Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Wall Textures - Tutorial Request

Go down 
+5
playtable
HornedRat
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Admin Tom
Pirexian
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Pirexian
Elder
Elder
Pirexian

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers
Achievements earned: none

Wall Textures - Tutorial Request Empty
PostSubject: Wall Textures - Tutorial Request   Wall Textures - Tutorial Request Icon_minitimeThu 22 Apr 2010 - 15:39

Well, I haven't yet started painting my scenery. So right now I'm thinking what technique to use for the texture walls.

It would be nice to have some sort of tutorial at the forum showing the different results of using different texturing techniques on a surface.
For example, having pictures showing the different results like:

Wall Filler (flat surface):
1.- drybrushed
2.- Washed/ink

Pink Foam texturing:
1.- Drybrushed
2.- Washed/ink

White glue applied with a rough brush:
1.- Drybrushed
2.- Washed/ink

White glue + fine sand:
1.- Drybrushed
2.- Washed/ink

White glue + toilet paper:
1.- Drybrushed
2.- Washed/ink

Plain flat foam core surface:
1.- Drybrushed
2.- Washed/ink

Premade resin/plastic surface (premade building):
1.- Drybrushed
2.- Washed/ink.

etc.

I don't know, I haven't seen so far a document online like this before. What do you think? It would be nice for noob players like me that have just entered the hobby to have such a reference to better choose the technique for the desired effect.

rawr!
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Trading Reputation : 12

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Wall Textures - Tutorial Request   Wall Textures - Tutorial Request Icon_minitimeThu 22 Apr 2010 - 19:06

Pirexian wrote:

It would be nice to have some sort of tutorial at the forum showing the different results of using different texturing techniques on a surface.
For example, having pictures showing the different results

That is a fantastic idea! Smile So, when will we get this tutorial from you Pirexian? Wink

What I can offer at this point is a link to Cianty's homepage.

http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/

He does a lot of scenery painting and you may find something you like.

Pirexian
Elder
Elder
Pirexian

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers

PostSubject: Re: Wall Textures - Tutorial Request   Wall Textures - Tutorial Request Icon_minitimeThu 22 Apr 2010 - 20:08

I couldn't make each tests :S.. I don't have all the materials for instance (still can't find a local place to buy pink foam...)

But I could go seaching on the web for different pictures of the results... and try making a comparison of pictures and post it on a thread... But then again, the thing is to compare.. you can't really compare the textures and results when a piece is painted with a different tone, the
camera and the lights are set in different way, the surfices are made with different materials and/or paint brands, the paint skills of the author are in different levels, etc..

Thats why I think that it would be best if somebody with the materials (and time) could make just little samples of each technique and take pictures in a controled environmet (?)..

You don't need an entire building for each technique.. Just a flat squre of 10x10cm should be more than enough.. I guess, anyhow this was just an idea xD maybe somebody has already done this and is willing to share ;O;---
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Wall Textures - Tutorial Request   Wall Textures - Tutorial Request Icon_minitimeWed 28 Apr 2010 - 3:45

I second this idea, i find myself asking everyone how they textured their walls.

Another method is textured spray paint which works well if you apply unevenly.
Back to top Go down
HornedRat
Elder
Elder
HornedRat

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Wall Textures - Tutorial Request   Wall Textures - Tutorial Request Icon_minitimeSun 23 May 2010 - 8:55

Humm an interesting idea. I personally dont use all those techniques listed. Maybe it would be easier if everyone just posted 1 or 2 of their favorite techniques, why they like it and how they do it?

I will work on getting a few of my favorites over the next few days.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pbase.com/therat
playtable
Ancient
Ancient
playtable

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Wall Textures - Tutorial Request   Wall Textures - Tutorial Request Icon_minitimeSun 23 May 2010 - 16:23

Here's one
I buy a bag of dry wall finish plaster. If you use it just for models it will last forever. The premixed plaster will crack easier and spoils after a year or so, and is harder to thin out.

For foamcore walls with some texture I mix the dry plaster in a small dixie cup with water until it is pretty thin. About twice as thin as white glue. I paint it on with a paint brush in a thin layer. You don't even need to cover every piece of the wall.
I see a lot of people putting plaster on their walls way to thick, for me. You don't need very much plaster to break up the smooth foamcore surface.
Back to top Go down
HornedRat
Elder
Elder
HornedRat

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Wall Textures - Tutorial Request   Wall Textures - Tutorial Request Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jun 2010 - 6:50

My current texture of choice is premixed concrete patch.

There is no need to do any mixing, and you can thin it with water. It also makes a great filler straight out of the tub and dries rock hard. I use lots of cardboard, never had a problem with warping walls etc. Not a recent picture, but this might give you an example.

Before...

Wall Textures - Tutorial Request Medium

And after...

Wall Textures - Tutorial Request Medium
Back to top Go down
http://www.pbase.com/therat
Ordo Septenarius
Warlord
Warlord
Ordo Septenarius

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Wall Textures - Tutorial Request   Wall Textures - Tutorial Request Icon_minitimeFri 25 Mar 2011 - 0:28

First, apply 1 part tacky glue and 1 part water generously to the wall where you'd like texture.

Use one-ply toilet part (or just pull two-ply apart, since this is more commonly available) and stick pieces to the wall. Great faux-plaster results in about an hour!

Back to top Go down
Lars Wurst
Champion
Champion
Lars Wurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Wall Textures - Tutorial Request   Wall Textures - Tutorial Request Icon_minitimeSat 11 Apr 2015 - 22:38

Thanks a lot! This was exactly what I was looking for.
Back to top Go down
Quase
Elder
Elder
Quase

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Wall Textures - Tutorial Request   Wall Textures - Tutorial Request Icon_minitimeTue 12 May 2015 - 15:09

Only just stumbled across this interesting thread…

Textured walls, Quase-style…

From reinforced cardboard, I cut out 4 walls and I cut out the windows, regularly proof-fitting the plastic windowframes, to be sure n cardboard was visible behind them, and ensuring I didn't cut holes that were too large
Wall Textures - Tutorial Request 283Windows_zps9dea3944
Then I cut out 4 pieces of newspaper in the same size as the walls
Wall Textures - Tutorial Request 284Texture_zpsf0374359
I pressed them together into little balls
Wall Textures - Tutorial Request 285Balls_zpsef31d31f
And I flattened them out again and glued them on the walls with watered down PVA. The newspaper will soak up the PVA, making it nice and hard.
Wall Textures - Tutorial Request 286Textureglued_zps17a1a6e8

The next day (PVA needs it’s drying-time) they had warped a little, but nothing too serious... Will need a way to remedy that, but, first things first, I cut out the windows again, out of the newspapers this time (easy, as the holes were already there in the cardboard)
Wall Textures - Tutorial Request 287Windows_zps7f997687

With the help of a length of my precioussss balsa-wood (which is actually way to expensive to use for this purpose...) I used PVA to reinforce and straighten out the walls.
Added bonus of the balsa : it'll give me a bigger surface for when I'll be glueing the building to it's base.
Add some clothespins to keep them into place, and call it a night, so the PVA can dry out nice and easy.
Wall Textures - Tutorial Request 2810Reinforcements1_zps2cfbb9b7

Lots of steps later, I painted the building, and now the walls look like this (paint and drybrush)
Wall Textures - Tutorial Request 101_2553_zps7428fd1a
Back to top Go down
Dozer
Warrior
Warrior
Dozer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Wall Textures - Tutorial Request   Wall Textures - Tutorial Request Icon_minitimeThu 10 Sep 2015 - 1:42

Wall Textures - Tutorial Request 100_2218

This is one of the first buildings I did . It is very thin pva glue with toilet paper draped over it .

I then painted it black and used a heavy dry brush of white and blue leaving a bit of black at the edges to give it some depth .

You can make the texture as smooth as you want by taking a wet brush over it while it is still damp .

Back to top Go down
Dozer
Warrior
Warrior
Dozer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Wall Textures - Tutorial Request   Wall Textures - Tutorial Request Icon_minitimeThu 10 Sep 2015 - 1:46

Quase I like that effect you got from newspaper a lot . I am building some new buildings and think I will try it .

How did you do the brick work on the corners ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wall Textures - Tutorial Request   Wall Textures - Tutorial Request Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wall Textures - Tutorial Request
Page 1 of 1