Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Short questions, short answers...

Go down 
+24
Pervavita
Captain Bernhardt
mweaver
MrDancyPants
Skavenslayer
Alex
Phantasmal_fiend
Darthvegeta800
Slannman
Saluksic
Theycallmejosh
flipchuck
SonofRuss
Ork
Aipha
catachanfrog
Von Kurst
klinktastic
RationalLemming
davinewrath
Mike
Grimscull
Lord 0
Seikilos
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
davinewrath
Champion
Champion
davinewrath

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

Short questions, short answers... - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Short questions, short answers...   Short questions, short answers... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun 12 Oct 2014 - 13:59

Ah, cool. I'd assumed the guy asking the question had read the book and not found it, so I didn't think to check myself Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Nerevarine
Youngblood
Youngblood
Nerevarine

PostSubject: Re: Short questions, short answers...   Short questions, short answers... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun 12 Oct 2014 - 17:23

I recently picked up five Tilean pikeman models and I'd like to use them in a Tilean-themed warband. Which warband rules would fit best with a warband centred around pikemen?
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Short questions, short answers...   Short questions, short answers... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun 12 Oct 2014 - 17:46

The Tilean warband from the Lustria Cities of Gold Supplement comes to mind....
Back to top Go down
Nerevarine
Youngblood
Youngblood
Nerevarine

PostSubject: Re: Short questions, short answers...   Short questions, short answers... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun 12 Oct 2014 - 17:49

From the official warbands, I mean.
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Short questions, short answers...   Short questions, short answers... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun 12 Oct 2014 - 19:24

I cannot remember an official warband being able to use pikes. Are they even in the rulebook? Not, right? So a warband with spears? Why don't you just use one of the adventurer's warbands and play the pikes as spears or maybe halberds?
Back to top Go down
Mike
Elder
Elder
Mike

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Short questions, short answers...   Short questions, short answers... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon 13 Oct 2014 - 3:24

I agree with Grimscull on which official warbands may work but those pikes are so very long. I can see why they are not an official weapon choice on the streets of Mordheim.
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Short questions, short answers...   Short questions, short answers... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon 13 Oct 2014 - 4:11

From GW-created warbands, I don't think they appeared anywhere outside of the Lustria campaign, the Tileans von Kurst referenced. They really aren't a weapon suited for skirmishing, when you think about it. Those are nice models, though, and I understand why you want to use them.
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Short questions, short answers...   Short questions, short answers... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon 13 Oct 2014 - 6:07

I agree with treating the pikes as spears or halberds in a standard warband if that is what you want to use. I'll just mention another non-official warband here for completeness though. The "Merchant Caravan" warband from Border Town Burning has pikes as a weapon choice. The rules for the pikes were also updated to remove/change the 'Reach'(?) special rule to prevent close combat attacks from the pike without being in close combat (following the choice to change the rules for whips in the Sisters of Sigmar warband).
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Aipha
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Aipha

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Short questions, short answers...   Short questions, short answers... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon 13 Oct 2014 - 17:58

We're running with Pikes in our Lustrian campaign and using a slightly revised Tilean Mercenaries warband. The Pikes are basically a Spear combined with a Halberd: Requires 2 hands, gain +1 Strength and the Strike first rule. They are not the danger of a Tilean warband though, which has a lot of ranged power, that even my Dwarves are a bit annoyed with.

The price for the Pikes are 20gc though, so an investment, but well worth it on certain Heroes.
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Short questions, short answers...   Short questions, short answers... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon 13 Oct 2014 - 21:01

That sounds like a good way to handle them.
Back to top Go down
Nerevarine
Youngblood
Youngblood
Nerevarine

PostSubject: Re: Short questions, short answers...   Short questions, short answers... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon 13 Oct 2014 - 22:44

I really like both ideas, thanks guys Smile I'm pretty sure the people I play with won't make it a problem if I let the pikes count as spears/halbers.

The models look really nice, so I think visually they could form a nice core of the warband.
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Short questions, short answers...   Short questions, short answers... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon 13 Oct 2014 - 23:13

BTB pikes are 10gc which gives Strength as user, two-handed and Strike First with +1 Initiative.
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Short questions, short answers...   Short questions, short answers... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue 14 Oct 2014 - 0:05

"Strike First with +1 Initiative"

So they "Strike Firstiest"!
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Short questions, short answers...   Short questions, short answers... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue 14 Oct 2014 - 0:05

Firstier?
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Short questions, short answers...   Short questions, short answers... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue 14 Oct 2014 - 0:13

mweaver wrote:
Firstier?

...or like Nathan Bedford Forrest: "firstest with the mostest."   clown
Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Short questions, short answers...   Short questions, short answers... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue 14 Oct 2014 - 0:19

Laughing

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Short questions, short answers...   Short questions, short answers... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue 14 Oct 2014 - 14:57

Von Kurst wrote:
Pervavita wrote:
Seikilos wrote:
Does "Singing Wind" (Amazon Rituals) affect only enemy models or my own models as well?
yes but the great thing is that it should have no ill effects on your warband as shooting and magic happens at the same time so you can ether play it as it all happens exact same time (and if an archer takes a model OOA then following shots that had already declared that target are wasted) and your spell cast same time as arrows let fly thus no problem or you chose the order of shots and just chose your Priestess for last.
As you have already moved and charged you should have no issues there as the spell says that models will defend them selves in h2h.

hope that helps out

Well I doubt Seikilos frequents the forum anymore, but I must admit a bit of confusion.  The question is about Singing Wind, which may target 'any model'.  Thus a player may cast it on his own warrior although I can not think of a reason to.  scratch

The answer seems to be about the Maelstrom ritual?

I make this mistake from time to time with the way "any" comes off in the rules. I was (and have played it as by mistake) with "any" meaning all. Anyone that moves is unable to move for example.
Back to top Go down
Caledore
Champion
Champion
Caledore

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Short questions, short answers...   Short questions, short answers... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu 16 Oct 2014 - 13:18

We had a situation in which two models declared a charge on a single model. The first, if taking the most direct route to the target, blocked off the charging path of the second - once the first model was in base contact with the enemy's front, the second no longer had any available path.

However, if the first charger was able to wrap around the target's side, then the second could make the charge, as the enemy's front side was still clear.

There was disagreement as to whether this meant the second could charge or not. The argument that he couldn't is that since models have to take the most direct route to the target, the first model to charge HAS to charge the target's front, and thus cannot charge the target's side, and thus blocks the second. Opinions?
Back to top Go down
Mike
Elder
Elder
Mike

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Short questions, short answers...   Short questions, short answers... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu 16 Oct 2014 - 21:28

We have allowed charges to wrap around the side but I would prefer it was kept to the most direct route wording. Even as it is we do a lot of maneuvering with terrain/obstacles and intercepts where charge declaration and order have become a focus of strategy. I too would be interested in others opinions.
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Short questions, short answers...   Short questions, short answers... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu 16 Oct 2014 - 23:23

We play direct route and charge in order of Initiative. Therefore we do have failed charges sometimes if room is tight.
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Short questions, short answers...   Short questions, short answers... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu 16 Oct 2014 - 23:39

We are pretty loosey-goosey on this particular issue, but then we generally play collaboratively.

I think RationalLemming's solution makes a great deal of sense.
Back to top Go down
Aipha
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Aipha

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Short questions, short answers...   Short questions, short answers... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu 16 Oct 2014 - 23:41

Caledore wrote:
We had a situation in which two models declared a charge on a single model. The first, if taking the most direct route to the target, blocked off the charging path of the second - once the first model was in base contact with the enemy's front, the second no longer had any available path.

However, if the first charger was able to wrap around the target's side, then the second could make the charge, as the enemy's front side was still clear.

There was disagreement as to whether this meant the second could charge or not. The argument that he couldn't is that since models have to take the most direct route to the target, the first model to charge HAS to charge the target's front, and thus cannot charge the target's side, and thus blocks the second. Opinions?

This is indeed a sticky situation. We play that chargers must take the most direct route (since that's what the rules say), but usually allow 'wrapping around', if another model of yours is charging at the same time. Just as a thought, I would find it embarassingly stupid, if my warriors couldn't figure out to make room for one another. We also play that they charge at the same time, meaning that charging models can never be in the way of each other, but non-charging models can indeed prevent a succesful charge, since they move after chargers.
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Short questions, short answers...   Short questions, short answers... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri 17 Oct 2014 - 9:59

I would prefer Aipha's but we have had some real black & white / no ambiguity people in our group. Sad
Back to top Go down
davinewrath
Champion
Champion
davinewrath

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Short questions, short answers...   Short questions, short answers... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri 17 Oct 2014 - 22:52

When calculating warband rating, do large targets contribute 5 for being a member of the warband plus 20 for being a large target, or just 20 for being a large member of the warband?
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Short questions, short answers...   Short questions, short answers... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Oct 2014 - 1:15

Ambiguous. I think strictly RAW large targets add 5 + 20 = 25 but I wonder if RAI was for just 20.

I think that this same question applies to Hired Swords and DPs. Does the warband rating go up by 5 + the stated rating bonus? We've always played it as with the 5 for being a member of the warband in addition to the rating bonus.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Short questions, short answers...   Short questions, short answers... - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Short questions, short answers...
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next