Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

[WHF] - Building a cheap army

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
vampirekhaine
Warlord
Warlord
vampirekhaine

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead
Achievements earned: none

[WHF] - Building a cheap army Empty
PostSubject: [WHF] - Building a cheap army   [WHF] - Building a cheap army Icon_minitimeSat 12 Jan 2013 - 18:29

Much as I like playing warhammer, the cost of the miniatures seem to be going up and up and up the longer you look at them. And since I think the new models are ok, but nothing more than that, I wanted to create a new army trying to use as many "cheap" models as I can possibly find. The goal (aka my challenge) is like so:

Build a 1500 point WHF army for 100 euro or less. This should include shipping and such.

The conditions under which I'm constructing this army are like so:
- The models must be recognized as models that can be used in the WHF game.
- What you see is what you get in terms of equipment, no more "they look like spears but are actually handweapon/shield combo".
- Bitboxing is allowed and encouraged
- Buying an off-the-shelve 2nd hand ebay army is not allowed
- Greenstuff can be your friend!

--------------------

Budget thus far:
100 - 53 =
47 Euro left

--------------------

Thus far I've come up with the idea to collect High Elves. Why? Simply because Mantic had a spring break deal that I simply could not resist. 50% off for all elves during january. As a result I bought the "core" today, at an incredible 53 euro's worth of budget I will soon receive through my mail:

1 Metal Elf Wizard on Horse
50 Plastic Elf Spearmen
40 Plastic Elf Bowmen
20 Plastic Elf Seaguard
20 Plastic Elf Scouts
3 Elf Bolt Thrower

It's worth checking out the website as well. They're onto crazy stuff with other armies as well (undead / dwarfs / etc.)

--------------------
What I did not get:
http://wargamesfactory.com/webstore/individual-sprues-and-bases/horse-sprue-bundle

At first glance a superb deal (36 horses for under 10 euro) but the shipping is going to set me back more than the actual value of the horses! Don't like that. Might change my mind later on though.

--------------------
Although this might be enough to cover the points, I also need some lords and special units.
Does anyone have any recommendations on the other parts of the army?

All suggestions will be fine. I'm looking for all sort of cheap units that might count as. Especially a cheap dragon and/or characters for the army.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: [WHF] - Building a cheap army   [WHF] - Building a cheap army Icon_minitimeSat 12 Jan 2013 - 20:39

Although my days of "Army" sized gaming are long gone, if I were to get into it , I think I'd go with the West Wind Dwarf Wars range. Here's a link to their Good Elf stuff:

http://www.oldglory25s.com/index.php?cat_id=490&catname=Good+Elves

I checked out the Manic things listed at The War Store. They look pretty nice & the prices are quite reasonable. clown
Back to top Go down
vampirekhaine
Warlord
Warlord
vampirekhaine

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: [WHF] - Building a cheap army   [WHF] - Building a cheap army Icon_minitimeSat 12 Jan 2013 - 20:54

Nice one deaf! These guys sure make for a nice set of characters.

Still looking for elves on horses to convert. Thnx a bunch!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: [WHF] - Building a cheap army   [WHF] - Building a cheap army Icon_minitimeSat 12 Jan 2013 - 21:29

Glad to be of some help. thumbsup
Here's a link to a thread on L.A.F. that is devoted to "cheap" 28mm Fantasy minis. If you click the company name, it directs you to their catalogs/on-line stores:

http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=27037.0

What a Face
Back to top Go down
vampirekhaine
Warlord
Warlord
vampirekhaine

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: [WHF] - Building a cheap army   [WHF] - Building a cheap army Icon_minitimeSat 12 Jan 2013 - 22:52

Once again a great suggestion! I will be checking these out Smile
Back to top Go down
vampirekhaine
Warlord
Warlord
vampirekhaine

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: [WHF] - Building a cheap army   [WHF] - Building a cheap army Icon_minitimeSat 2 Mar 2013 - 10:24

So it's been a while, but my army came in a couple of weeks ago. The sculpts look nicely and I think this will turn out just fine.

Still pondering about the horses. They are cheap, but if I decide to take a sprue I will end up paying 3x as much for getting them shipped to my country as the actual cost of the horses. Oh the decisions.

In the meanwhile I traded my old-school Dark Elves that were just laying about the place with my good friend Tom, who then ordered some metal mantic elves online for me. I now have an addition 20 metal elves with double handed axes and swords. Not sure if they will serve as swordmasters or white lions just yet. He also provided me with the box of 4 metal character elves. Looking good!

Pictures will arrive when the first unit is done!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [WHF] - Building a cheap army   [WHF] - Building a cheap army Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[WHF] - Building a cheap army
Page 1 of 1