Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

First Timer Questions

Go down 
+5
Captain Yesterday
Danielks
RationalLemming
Spectre76
Warshades
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Warshades
Captain
Captain
Warshades

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Chaos Dwarfs (BTB) Chaos Dwarfs (BTB)
Achievements earned: none

First Timer Questions Empty
PostSubject: First Timer Questions   First Timer Questions Icon_minitimeWed 30 May 2012 - 7:58

Ok I played my first game and had 2 questions concerning the advancement we had after the games.

1. I got +1A on my Thunderers. So is that only for melee or also for missiles?
2. Heroes start out with some exp, does that mean we get to roll for those advancements already reached?

That's it for now Sir, yes sir!
Back to top Go down
Spectre76
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Spectre76

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: First Timer Questions   First Timer Questions Icon_minitimeWed 30 May 2012 - 8:21

1. Attacks are for use in Melee only. The only way you can get multiple shots is with the "Quick Shot" rule, which only works with Bows/Crossbows, and only if you don't move.

2. No, you start with those stats that are in the warband rules. Heroes/Captains usually have better stats, and have more XP to reflect that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thetonezone.net
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: First Timer Questions   First Timer Questions Icon_minitimeWed 30 May 2012 - 8:24

Welcome to the forum!

1) The [A]ttack characteristic is only for Close Combat. Therefore it is a bit of a useless characteristic increase for your Thunderers but at least you know that they won't be push-overs in Close Combat if they are ever charged. Wink

2) No you do not roll for advancements already reached. Those advancements have already been factored into the characteristics and skills that heroes start with.

(Gah! Beaten by Spectre76!. jocolor )
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Warshades
Captain
Captain
Warshades

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: First Timer Questions   First Timer Questions Icon_minitimeWed 30 May 2012 - 8:34

Not for missiles, ya that's what my friend figured and that's how we played it.

Thank you kindly guys.
Back to top Go down
Danielks
Youngblood
Youngblood
Danielks

PostSubject: Re: First Timer Questions   First Timer Questions Icon_minitimeWed 30 May 2012 - 17:22

Spectre76 wrote:
The only way you can get multiple shots is with the "Quick Shot" rule, which only works with Bows/Crossbows, and only if you don't move.
You mean can't be used in combination with nimble?
Back to top Go down
Captain Yesterday
Champion
Champion
Captain Yesterday

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: First Timer Questions   First Timer Questions Icon_minitimeWed 30 May 2012 - 20:04

Danielks wrote:
Spectre76 wrote:
The only way you can get multiple shots is with the "Quick Shot" rule, which only works with Bows/Crossbows, and only if you don't move.
You mean can't be used in combination with nimble?

No, the two skills cannot be combined. Has been clearly stated in the description of the 'Nimble' skill.
Back to top Go down
Saranor
Warlord
Warlord
Saranor

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Shadow Warriors (Unofficial) Shadow Warriors (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: First Timer Questions   First Timer Questions Icon_minitimeWed 30 May 2012 - 22:47

You can use Quick shot while moving, but just with bows.

LRB wrote:
Quick Shot. The warrior may shoot twice per turn
with a bow or crossbow (but not a crossbow pistol).

Nimble. The warrior may move and fire with
weapons that are normally only used if the firer has
not moved. Note that this skill cannot be combined
with the Quick Shot skill.
Back to top Go down
Warshades
Captain
Captain
Warshades

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: First Timer Questions   First Timer Questions Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jun 2012 - 23:47

Ok, 2 weeks further. We played our 2nd batch of 2 games. Lost one, quite hideously I might add, won the 2nd in a very nice scenario, hunt for the treasure chest. Battle recounts may follow later.

Now my new question:

Can I automatically ooa a knocked down model with a missile weapon if I wound him? Or is it a new injury roll.

Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: First Timer Questions   First Timer Questions Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jun 2012 - 2:00

No you may not. You must roll to hit, to wound and roll for injury as though the model was on its feet. The rules for automatically taking a knocked down model out of action are only in the close combat section for a reason.
Back to top Go down
Warshades
Captain
Captain
Warshades

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: First Timer Questions   First Timer Questions Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jun 2012 - 2:23

Right, not entirely logical to me but it is what it is. Thanks =)
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: First Timer Questions   First Timer Questions Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jun 2012 - 2:32

Although the logic of Mordheim rules is hit or miss, this particular rule isn't too bad. The idea being that there is a hostile warrior right there to render the helpless victim incapable of recovering.
Back to top Go down
Warshades
Captain
Captain
Warshades

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: First Timer Questions   First Timer Questions Icon_minitimeWed 20 Jun 2012 - 12:38

Ok, yet another few games.

The mighty short heroes did great and won the scenario's but I did lose a good slayer as a captive. So what does this exactly mean.

So my opponent player can sell him into slavery, kill him or keep him captive, (sacrifice is no option). Killing him seems straight forward enough. But what happens in slavery, can I somehow retrieve him. And as long as he is in captivity can (recruit) use another hero to fill his hero slot?

We are also looking into a rescue scenario, which most certainly might be correct from a fluff point of view.

Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: First Timer Questions   First Timer Questions Icon_minitimeWed 20 Jun 2012 - 14:29

From your point of view once he is killed or sold into slavery he is gone and you may replace him. You also have the option of dismissing him and then replacing him if your opponent chooses to neither kill nor ransom nor sell him.

In my group we used a rescue scenario similar to the one in Necromunda. If you are going to use such a scenario I would recommend making a rule that you only get to do the rescue scenario once per captive, otherwise it is possible to simply re-run the rescue until successful.

Simply having the scenario in existance can help increase the fun of a campaign as it means if a hero is captured then it serves as a cap as to how much the capturer is prepared to demand as ransom as if they ask too much then the enemy will simply demand a rescue rather than pay the toll. And if they can only do the scenario once then the enemy will be more likely to accept a higher ransom because if they try the rescue and fail then they know the captors can now jack up the price with impunity and their only options will be to either pay or lose the hero.

These two opposing factors create an interesting amount of tension and interraction without causing too much extra bother. A valuable addition, we found.
Back to top Go down
Warshades
Captain
Captain
Warshades

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: First Timer Questions   First Timer Questions Icon_minitimeWed 20 Jun 2012 - 15:04

Ya, we might just go for a rescue scenario, although my opponent is a really nice guy if his ransom is low enough I might just pay up.

Alright, thank you kindly.
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: First Timer Questions   First Timer Questions Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jun 2012 - 3:48

We allow another hero to be purchased if a hero is captured without dismissing the captured hero. If the captured hero is then eventually ransomed then a choice will need to be made to dismiss a hero if there is a surplus of heros after the ransomed hero returns (e.g. more than 6 heros or more than the limit for that particular type of hero).

We chose this option because we were playing with the Black Dwarfs (Aka Fire Dwarfs or Chaos Dwarfs) from Border Town Burning and there were heroes kept in the slave wagon for many battles while the Black Dwarf player decided whether to ransom, sacrifice or sell the captured heroes into slavery.

In this instance we didn't need a rescue scenario because the slave wagon was always in the battle and the heroes could be rescued in any battle. I do agree with Lord 0's views regarding rescue scenarios though (e.g. giving a warband a single opportunity to play a rescue scenario if they want to try to get their hero back).
Back to top Go down
Warshades
Captain
Captain
Warshades

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: First Timer Questions   First Timer Questions Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jun 2012 - 6:09

On another note...

One of my slayers suffered a nasty injury, -1T, which is horrible since it is the only thing keeping them standing in melee. I was interested in possibly hiring a Cleric for my band, what could seal the choice is if he could regenerate old injuries with regeneration from the Shallaya Prayers.

Reading the spell it might be possible but it might not be what the developers had in mind. Ofcourse I still need to roll for the spells and hope to get it first.
Back to top Go down
Spectre76
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Spectre76

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: First Timer Questions   First Timer Questions Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jun 2012 - 8:24

There's also the optional "Sawbones" rules from Town Cryer. Assuming everyone else in the campaign agrees, you can attempt to take your wounded warriors to a "doctor" to get healed. It's risky though, as there is as much chance of the model dying as there is of it being healed!
Back to top Go down
Warshades
Captain
Captain
Warshades

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: First Timer Questions   First Timer Questions Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jun 2012 - 14:52

If I found a correct set of Sawbones rules I am afraid it does not work for the -1T which is from the "Chestwound" injury result....
Back to top Go down
catachanfrog
Elder
Elder
catachanfrog

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: First Timer Questions   First Timer Questions Icon_minitimeFri 22 Jun 2012 - 1:14

Cleric = player made thing?
Back to top Go down
Warshades
Captain
Captain
Warshades

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: First Timer Questions   First Timer Questions Icon_minitimeFri 22 Jun 2012 - 2:21

Can be found in this updated rulebook PDF which we use. Cleric on page 237 in the hired swords list.

http://home.deds.nl/~mordheim/MordheimRulebook.pdf

But aside from the character the prayer I am talking about is Regeneration from the Shallaya prayers list.
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: First Timer Questions   First Timer Questions Icon_minitimeFri 22 Jun 2012 - 5:03

Ugh. Not that file again. Exclamation That PDF is a collection of official rules, unofficial rules and house rules. There is a lot of things which are unbalanced. The "Regeneration" prayer is a house rule and is one of the rules which is rubbish. The rules for the cleric are also house rules. The ability to heal any serious injury for only 15 gold crowns (upkeep for cleric) with no side effects is totally unfair. At the very least force the hero and the cleric to both miss the next battle (or D3 battles) for recovery / care or do *something* to balance that prayer (this random idea of missing battles is still insufficient to balance that prayer).

I also recommend the Sawbones article or the newer Corrupted Characters article although you are right that they do no heal chest wounds.

As a comparison of balance. The "Regeneration" prayer costs 15 gold crowns (upkeep of a cleric) with no side effects to heal *any* serious injury. On the other hand, a trip to the apothecary (doctor) costs 20 gold crowns (in Corrupted Characters article at least) to heal a limited selection of serious injuries and has a good chance for a negative side effect (even death).

Please don't use the cleric or the Prayers of Shallaya. Please don't use the rules in that PDF! (Well you can if you enjoy them but I hope that those rules do not ruin your Mordheim experience because it is not a true, better balanced experience.)
Back to top Go down
Warshades
Captain
Captain
Warshades

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: First Timer Questions   First Timer Questions Icon_minitimeFri 22 Jun 2012 - 5:58

Well the thing is, there is so much info out there I just took that PDF as the latest correct collection of all Mordheim rules and options.

At the moment everything is still cool and shiney, things I want, need!, to have. Balance and such don't enter our beginner minds. The one thing we did agree on was that we would limit our choice of bands, since many others might simply be to unbalanced. So we play Dwarfs and Witch Hunters. The matchup is a tough one on my small heroes, the hunting dogs are ridiculous good for very little gold, but they are definately catching up and winning more now I am focusing of bringing more bodies into the field. Even 25gold beardlings with T4 and 2handed weapons for 15 cannot be ignored.

But going back to the injury rolls. They are real character killers, aside from the outright death rolls most of the injuries can really throw a big wrench in your "cool" developing character. My Slayer with -1T injury makes him very very vulnerable on the board.
Back to top Go down
Warshades
Captain
Captain
Warshades

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: First Timer Questions   First Timer Questions Icon_minitimeFri 22 Jun 2012 - 6:01

Oh btw I recently was able to get myself an original Mordheim rulebook from ebay (still on route)...so it will be easier to stick to the basics once I got it.
Back to top Go down
Spectre76
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Spectre76

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: First Timer Questions   First Timer Questions Icon_minitimeFri 22 Jun 2012 - 6:22

Just be sure it's an updated one with errata already built in. A friend of mine got one ordered, but it turned out to be the original rulebook before the errata, and it caused a lot of confusion for the two of us. It's funny, the GW website has the rulebook for free in pdf format, which has updated rules and better clarification. BUT, if you wanna order the rulebook from GW, they charge you upwards of 30 dollars, and it's not updated!
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: First Timer Questions   First Timer Questions Icon_minitimeFri 22 Jun 2012 - 8:43

Yeah that PDF which you are using has caught quite a few people unfortunately. Sad However, how are you to know if you haven't had any previous experience with Mordheim?

As Spectre76 has mentioned, you can find the PDFs of the official rulebook (with errata included) on the Games Workshop website for free. Hopefully the rulebook that you have purchased off ebay will serve you well also. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Timer Questions   First Timer Questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First Timer Questions
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next