Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Starting a thematic campaign, comments & suggestions welcome

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Lucas Blackwolf
Warrior
Warrior
Lucas Blackwolf

Trading Reputation : 0

starting - Starting a thematic campaign, comments & suggestions welcome Empty
PostSubject: Starting a thematic campaign, comments & suggestions welcome   starting - Starting a thematic campaign, comments & suggestions welcome Icon_minitimeWed 7 Dec 2011 - 17:07

Alright, I was encouraged to re-post this from the Introductions board and I guess it does make more sense. Smile

I'm looking for some input from more experienced players. We're planning a campaign and bellow you'll find more details about the whole thing.

First, just a quick mock-up of the flyer. The whole thing is not yet final, neither is the text, but I found this cool font and really wanted to see how it all works together.
The picture is a little bit re-mastered , but it's still a photo, so a scan should give less grey background and coupled with some contrast tweaks, it should look better. I have not done it yet though, because if I'll have enough time I might re-draw the whole wreath with more detail - this is just some black pen over the pencil sketch (and it shows). A parchment-like background would also be mandatory, I think.
starting - Starting a thematic campaign, comments & suggestions welcome Hexjpg10

With a little luck we'll be able to put two or three games in before the new year, but holidays always turning out how they do, it might be a little optimistic. In this case, I'll just re-word "Christmas" into "winter" and be done with it (though I still think it would be cool to get the intro scenarios in before the new year, the time when comet fell on Mordheim Smile ).

I've been searching the wealth of scenarios online and decided to start the campaign off with less lethal games, that also include no wyrdstone. The idea is that two or three starting scenarios take place in Mordheim before the comet. Warbands come to the city to celebrate, strike deals, steal from the delirious crowds or witness the second coming of Sigmar. The first scenario would thus be a semi-lethal Barroom Brawl, followed by some thematic skirmish with a demon figure on the board, randomly bestowing gangs with "gifts" and curses ... a fluffy re-theme of our favourite red-clad sleigh-rider. Smile Perhaps a game or two where things get weird (it was said that deamons walked amongst men in the final hours of Mordheim and all that) and that would be it for the intro mini campaign.
If we'd llike it all, we can then have the comet flatten the city and start in earnest with our warbands, already warmed-up for the action. There is a story I have in mind and the above would be the intro to it, setting the stage.
It's all mighty vague at the moment, so all comments, ideas and suggestions wholeheartedly appreciated.

I hope we'll be able to see the whole thing through timewise, I already have a box of Empire Militia (material for my first gang Smile ) waiting for me at the FLGS and as soon as I get some cash, I'll start working on them. In the worst case scenario we'll make it all a little less Christmas-y and just carry on with it. I'm all about the spirit of the time though and for some obscure reason I think it works obscenely well with Mordheim ... perhaps a bit like the "sweet chills" that Christmas Carol gives the kids ... Smile

But I digress, again, all comments and suggestions welcome! At this point I think I'd like to know what is in your experience a good number of scenarios for a campaign as a whole; before things get protracted and all?
Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Starting a thematic campaign, comments & suggestions welcome   starting - Starting a thematic campaign, comments & suggestions welcome Icon_minitimeWed 7 Dec 2011 - 18:21

Sounds neat!

If you're going to go with a wintery theme, I recommend you go one of two different ways: serious, or silly. A winter theme is fantastic, and can result in a grim and desperate struggle through frozen weather and against frostbitten zombies. Throwing in Santa, however, will give the affair a lot sillier twist- which is fine for a one-shot event, but will stand out in a "serious" campaign.

For the icey rules, look at Border Town Burning- they have rules for playing in the cold Cathay tundra. I think it was the 1st or 2nd PDF that had those rules.

For the Santa/Demon, may I suggest you look at the Trick or Treat scenario from Mordheimer's site:
http://mordheimer.com/scenarios/081-100/100-trick_or_treat!.htm

Also, if you want some fun "non-wyrdstone" scenarios, try Secret Agenda scenario. It adds a great gang vs. gang feel and keeps things hopping!

EDIT:

I forgot... the Santa idea has cropped up a few times on this board:
https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/search?mode=searchbox&search_keywords=santa&show_results=topics
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
Dribble Joy
Veteran
Veteran
Dribble Joy

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Starting a thematic campaign, comments & suggestions welcome   starting - Starting a thematic campaign, comments & suggestions welcome Icon_minitimeThu 8 Dec 2011 - 12:40

I'm also writing a campaign and setting it in winter. I am using the autumn/winter weather rules from the 'Raining Fishe' article.
Back to top Go down
Lucas Blackwolf
Warrior
Warrior
Lucas Blackwolf

PostSubject: Re: Starting a thematic campaign, comments & suggestions welcome   starting - Starting a thematic campaign, comments & suggestions welcome Icon_minitimeFri 9 Dec 2011 - 9:56

Thanks for the replies. I'll look into those scenarios and rules you guys have suggested.
All in all, I'm going for a bizarre. somewhat twisted feel here, with a hint of black humor. That's how I see Mordheim anyway; if you look at the graphics and illustrations in the book, they're weird, nightmarish and insane, but there are details you can't help but laugh at, even if you hope no one will hear you. Smile It's also what I was aiming for with the "Hexennachtslied Wreath" design above.
Back to top Go down
Lucas Blackwolf
Warrior
Warrior
Lucas Blackwolf

PostSubject: Re: Starting a thematic campaign, comments & suggestions welcome   starting - Starting a thematic campaign, comments & suggestions welcome Icon_minitimeSun 11 Dec 2011 - 11:07

What would be considered a good number of scenarios for a campaign?

EDIT: And another question; has there been any discussion on Coreheim rules? How good are they at addressing what are generally perceived as shortcomings of the original (i.e. shields, some blackpowder weapons, two-hand weaponry, ...)?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Starting a thematic campaign, comments & suggestions welcome   starting - Starting a thematic campaign, comments & suggestions welcome Icon_minitimeTue 13 Dec 2011 - 16:25

Good length. Not sure. Depends on how long your guys like to play. I recommend between 10-15 games, or until they all pass 250 rating, whichever comes first.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starting a thematic campaign, comments & suggestions welcome   starting - Starting a thematic campaign, comments & suggestions welcome Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Starting a thematic campaign, comments & suggestions welcome
Page 1 of 1