Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Painting Gromril

Go down 
+2
Kaptain Dedgob
5pointer
6 posters
AuthorMessage
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: none

Painting Gromril Empty
PostSubject: Painting Gromril   Painting Gromril Icon_minitimeMon 12 Sep 2011 - 13:13

I posted this before in the random little questionssticky,but I don't think it's getting the views and it's definitely not getting any answers... so here it is inthe hopes that some kind soul will offer some advice!

I'm currently painting an Imperial Dwarf for The Hireling Agency and he is armed with Gromril Armour and Axe. Is there a particular colour that Gromril should be? I've painted his armour in my usual style with my usual technique, but is it supposed to be duller than steel? Or have a X-coloured sheen? Or something else entirely?

Any views gratefully appreciated! The quicker I get a response, the quicker I get him finished and the quicker you have a picture or two inflicted on you in the gallery! (as if that's an incentive... Suspect )
Back to top Go down
Kaptain Dedgob
Veteran
Veteran
Kaptain Dedgob

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

Painting Gromril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting Gromril   Painting Gromril Icon_minitimeMon 12 Sep 2011 - 20:03

I don't think there's a single right way to paint Gromril, but somehow I've always seen it as a tin bitz colored metal in my mind. That's just me of course.
Back to top Go down
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Personal Info

Painting Gromril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting Gromril   Painting Gromril Icon_minitimeMon 12 Sep 2011 - 20:25

Thanks for the thoughts Kap'n, the only fluff I've been able to find is that it is 'silvery' and that it is 'always found near Warpstone'.

Maybe a very very faint green wash might be fun... or at least different? Suspect

I found this pic of meteoric iron:

Painting Gromril Etching-and-Working-with-Meteoric-Iron

Which actually in many ways shares more similarities than not with how I paint my usual armour/weapons... hmmm... confused
Back to top Go down
MyLittlePwny
Elder
Elder
MyLittlePwny

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

Painting Gromril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting Gromril   Painting Gromril Icon_minitimeMon 12 Sep 2011 - 20:27

I've always painted it darker using boltgun metal - dunno why, but since it's heavier it should also be darker Razz
Back to top Go down
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Personal Info

Painting Gromril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting Gromril   Painting Gromril Icon_minitimeMon 12 Sep 2011 - 20:32

My technique is pretty basic (tabletop quality is the aim):-

boltgun base, badab wash, chainmail hard edge highlights.

I'll alter the weight of the wash, or add in other washes, to suit particular models (Sepia wash on my Ogre's metal stuff for example.

So, my metal is fairly dark anyway, leaving me little wiggle room on making Gromril special.

I might just jazz it up with the odd golden hued plate/detail on his armour to give the impression of expense and rarity.

Thanks for giving me food for thought guys!
Back to top Go down
Montegue
Champion
Champion
Montegue

Painting Gromril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting Gromril   Painting Gromril Icon_minitimeTue 13 Sep 2011 - 5:58

I keep wanting to make it some sort of mix of mithril and dwarf bronze.
Back to top Go down
Ordo Septenarius
Warlord
Warlord
Ordo Septenarius

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

Painting Gromril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting Gromril   Painting Gromril Icon_minitimeTue 13 Sep 2011 - 20:18

MyLittlePwny wrote:
I've always painted it darker using boltgun metal - dunno why, but since it's heavier it should also be darker Razz

Isn't it actually lighter? I mean, essentially, it's mithril, and functions better than regular armor in the protection department, whilst being lighter and less cumbersome.

I always figured it would be a burnished mithirl silver — really, really bright.
Back to top Go down
MyLittlePwny
Elder
Elder
MyLittlePwny

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

Painting Gromril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting Gromril   Painting Gromril Icon_minitimeWed 14 Sep 2011 - 7:30

Ordo Septenarius wrote:
MyLittlePwny wrote:

Isn't it actually lighter? I mean, essentially, it's mithril, and functions better than regular armor in the protection department, whilst being lighter and less cumbersome.

I always figured it would be a burnished mithirl silver — really, really bright.

I thought the Ithilmar was the Mithril - heavy armor that allows you to use shield while not suffering the movement penalty.. Smile
Back to top Go down
Moffe
Captain
Captain
Moffe

Painting Gromril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting Gromril   Painting Gromril Icon_minitimeWed 14 Sep 2011 - 9:00

a simple way to paint "special" metal to make it stand out next to "normal" metal is to add a little bit of blue ink to either chainmail or mithril silver, and keep it very bright and stainless.
Back to top Go down
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Personal Info

Painting Gromril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting Gromril   Painting Gromril Icon_minitimeWed 14 Sep 2011 - 13:09

Moffe - yep, but I always think Blue washes look best for Ithilmar (maybe because I have a High Elf blue-themed army). I've also used purple washes for a magic weapon before to an acceptable outcome.

And yep Ordo Septenarius/MyLittlePwny, it is Gromril I'm talking about, not Ithilmar. Ithilmar I would definitely paint clean and bright with blue washes.

It's Gromril that is causing the problems Wink Well if nothing else is clear from this thread it's that there is no single accepted standard colour for Gromril Laughing
Back to top Go down
Moffe
Captain
Captain
Moffe

Painting Gromril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting Gromril   Painting Gromril Icon_minitimeThu 15 Sep 2011 - 16:18

ideed. you can try mixing in brownish inks like gryphonne sepia for a nice look i have seen on some warrior priests armour.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Painting Gromril Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting Gromril   Painting Gromril Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Painting Gromril
Page 1 of 1