Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Chemical Agent's Terrain

Go down 
+15
Theorox
mrtn
Etrigan001
pascal the rascal
magokiron
Solinan
Stormgerkin
Benji
SerialMoM
Jacko' lantern
shanks
DRD1812
Von Kurst
DeafNala
ChemicalAgent
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ChemicalAgent
Youngblood
Youngblood
ChemicalAgent

Trading Reputation : 0

Chemical Agent's Terrain Empty
PostSubject: Chemical Agent's Terrain   Chemical Agent's Terrain Icon_minitimeFri 22 Oct 2010 - 23:25

I figured I would combine my introduction with a bit of my work. I am ChemicalAgent (You may know me if you have visited the Podhammer forums) a freelance sculptor from Cincinnati and war gamer for some 8 years or so. My friends and I have decided to brave the streets of Mordheim and I being the terrain builder/hobby-nut in my group the construction of the damned city is my pleasure.

My starting point will be some stone foundations to make up the playing surface, but lacking large enough sheets of foam I began with some scraps and made this:

Chemical Agent's Terrain StairWIP3

Chemical Agent's Terrain StairWIP

Chemical Agent's Terrain StairWIP2

The first of many stairs so models can move from foundation to foundation, all carved out of solid pieces of foam. Hope to paint it soon!

For more of my work please feel free to visit my space on the Podhammer forum HERE. And you can find my new series of tutorials HERE.

Thanks for looking and I hope to contribute more work and some tutorials to the hobby section of this BORING Wink forum in the near future!

-CA
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Agent's Terrain   Chemical Agent's Terrain Icon_minitimeFri 22 Oct 2010 - 23:57

WELCOME ABOARD, ChemicalAgent! cheers
That's a FINE way to introduce yourself. The Monk is a VERY COOL piece. I LOVE the stairs...some of the most evocative bits of terrain seem to come out of the scraps left from large projects. I for one look forward to seeing more of your EXCELLENT WORK! Enjoy your stay! thumbsup

Last edited by DeafNala on Sat 15 Jan 2011 - 1:08; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Agent's Terrain   Chemical Agent's Terrain Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010 - 16:48

Welcome to the forum neighbor! Sweet work.
Back to top Go down
DRD1812
Warlord
Warlord
DRD1812

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Agent's Terrain   Chemical Agent's Terrain Icon_minitimeSat 15 Jan 2011 - 0:40

I was just considering starting work on foam steps. My board has quite a few 2" and 4" heights that need more accessibility. This is great inspiration. Thanks for posting!

As I look at it though...how did you get the varied look on the cobblestones? At first I assumed you stuck together individual bricks like an actual mason, but I can see now that you've only carved. Why do some cobblestones jut out higher than their neighbors?

Last edited by DRD1812 on Mon 17 Jan 2011 - 19:25; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
shanks
General
General
shanks

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Agent's Terrain   Chemical Agent's Terrain Icon_minitimeSat 15 Jan 2011 - 15:13

welcome,good start look forward to this progressing
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Agent's Terrain   Chemical Agent's Terrain Icon_minitimeSat 15 Jan 2011 - 15:53

I worked my way merrily through your Podhammer thread...some VERY IMPRESSIVE STUFF! If your Mordheim project follows suit, this will be a GREAT thread to follow. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
ChemicalAgent
Youngblood
Youngblood
ChemicalAgent

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Agent's Terrain   Chemical Agent's Terrain Icon_minitimeSat 15 Jan 2011 - 18:09

Thanks everyone!

Sorry this thread kind of died after the first post, but I was hit by the sledgehammer of !!REAL LIFE!! and have not had the time to work on anything wargaming. I hope to have some time in the near future to finish up some projects.

My dear DRD1812 just for you I will make a shot how-to on the making of shoddy fantasy masonry. I did indeed only carve the cobbles. I have tried using the individual 'brick' technique in the past, but it drove me bat-shit crazy. It was awful! I became delusional and formed the idea that the pigeons outside my apartment window were government spies. I began donning many disguises in my own home, each with their own back story and papers. It was a dark time... I'm ok now...

Really what I am trying to say is carving the cobbles is faster and easier.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Agent's Terrain   Chemical Agent's Terrain Icon_minitimeSat 15 Jan 2011 - 18:16

...you have to watch out for those damned Pigeons; they're conspiring with the Squirrels. Suspect
Back to top Go down
Jacko' lantern
General
General
Jacko' lantern

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Agent's Terrain   Chemical Agent's Terrain Icon_minitimeSat 15 Jan 2011 - 20:49

DeafNala wrote:
...you have to watch out for those damned Pigeons; they're conspiring with the Squirrels. Suspect

NOT THE SQUIRRELS!!!!!! affraid

love that staircase, i've tried making stuff out of separate blocks... all I can say is I hate chimneys(and bay windows, and roofs Suspect )
Back to top Go down
ChemicalAgent
Youngblood
Youngblood
ChemicalAgent

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Agent's Terrain   Chemical Agent's Terrain Icon_minitimeSat 15 Jan 2011 - 21:02

BAM! Tutorial!

So This is the method I use for modeling masonry, sorry for some of the crappy photos.

Chemical Agent's Terrain Cobble1

So you will need just four items... well five... maybe.

1. A X-acto knife with a new *SHARP* blade. And if you are doing large areas you will need extra blades. Change the blade when you start feeling resistance when you cut.

2. A ballpoint pen.

3. Foam.

4. A straight edge.

5. Patience.

Chemical Agent's Terrain Cobble2

Ok, start by drawing some guide lines with the straight edge and pen. You don't need to lay out every course of bricks, just a reference point to keep everything mostly straight. Put down as many or as few guides as you feel comfortable with. Really how you lay out your guides will depend on the pattern you wish to model.

Chemical Agent's Terrain Cobble3

Now take your X-acto and score each brick into the surface of the foam.

Chemical Agent's Terrain Cobble4

Next take the ballpoint pen and run it through each score to widen and define each stone.

*Photo Missing*

Oops... forgot to save that one... Ok, well now it's time to add some character to your masonry. To make the stones look like they might have shifted, or were not set properly in the first place, you will begin carving into the surface of the foam.

The most simple, let's call it "surface modification", you can make is having the stone shift or drop on one side. To do this simply cut into the surface of your stone at the desired angle with your knife.

Chemical Agent's Terrain Cobble6

Once the material is removed you will have something like this.

Chemical Agent's Terrain Cobble7

Next take your knife and re-cut around the stone...

Chemical Agent's Terrain Cobble8

...and re-score with the ballpoint pen.

Chemical Agent's Terrain Cobble85

You should have something like the above photo.

Now to make a stone look like it has dropped down evenly, or was not set correctly you just need to add a few steps.

Chemical Agent's Terrain Cobble9

Start like you did for the "one-side-drop stone" above...

Chemical Agent's Terrain Cobble10

...then cut off the other high side of the stone, forming a high point in the center.

Chemical Agent's Terrain Cobble11

Push down the high point with the other end of your knife.

Chemical Agent's Terrain Cobble12

You will have something like this.

Ok, that is about it really... well kind of...

Chemical Agent's Terrain Cobble13

Go around the your surface and pick out stones you want to be low points. Setting your lowest-lows now will help guide the height of the rest of your stones, insuring you don't get carried away and carve everything into a level surface.

Chemical Agent's Terrain Cobble14

Work outward from the lows, picking out stones to be your high and mid points... until you're finished...
That's all there is to it... Just get some scrap pieces of foam to practice on before you go attacking your project.

Here are some additional shots to give you some idea of how uneven you can make your masonry.

Chemical Agent's Terrain Cobble15

Chemical Agent's Terrain Cobble16

Hope that made sense... Sorry the whole thing was slapdash, but I hope it helps.

Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Agent's Terrain   Chemical Agent's Terrain Icon_minitimeSun 16 Jan 2011 - 3:29

Nice job on the tutorial. Hope you have some time for Mordheim scenery soon.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Agent's Terrain   Chemical Agent's Terrain Icon_minitimeSun 16 Jan 2011 - 4:05

It is most kind of you to share your oh-so-cool technique with us...EXCELLENT tutorial & a FINE bit of fabrication. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
SerialMoM
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
SerialMoM

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Agent's Terrain   Chemical Agent's Terrain Icon_minitimeSun 16 Jan 2011 - 9:36

Very nice tutorial.

i just thought about how many hours you need to make a whole playing table with this technique for ways and masonry.

Do have some pictures of a finished table of yours?

SerialMoM
Back to top Go down
ChemicalAgent
Youngblood
Youngblood
ChemicalAgent

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Agent's Terrain   Chemical Agent's Terrain Icon_minitimeSun 16 Jan 2011 - 16:17

@SeriaMoM: I would show you pictures of a finished Mordheim table if I had one. I just began Mordheim so I have been making a few 'sketches' at the moment. You can see some of my finished work for WFB in the Podhammer link at the end of my first post.

The area that I did for the tutorial was a little over by 2x3.5" and took me around 15 min. The process starts slow, but you get into the swing of it and it goes faster. It would take a few hours to finish a full table, and I'm not saying that this technique is for everyone, but I think the result is worth the time. If you want to cut down the time it would take you could always increase the size of the cobbles/flagstone, or you could leave more stones unaltered... or both.
Back to top Go down
Benji
Veteran
Veteran
Benji

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Restless Dead (BTB) Restless Dead (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Agent's Terrain   Chemical Agent's Terrain Icon_minitimeMon 17 Jan 2011 - 9:03

SerialMoM wrote:

i just thought about how many hours you need to make a whole playing table with this technique for ways and masonry.

Funny... I thought about the same... But then... the time... No Maybe some day.
Back to top Go down
DRD1812
Warlord
Warlord
DRD1812

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Agent's Terrain   Chemical Agent's Terrain Icon_minitimeMon 17 Jan 2011 - 19:20

That's brilliant, ChemicalAgent. I've got a project or two in the way before I start on my stairways, but I'll be making use of this technique. Thanks for teaching. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Stormgerkin
Captain
Captain
Stormgerkin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Agent's Terrain   Chemical Agent's Terrain Icon_minitimeMon 17 Jan 2011 - 23:12

Amazing work... I will be using this technique in the future.
Back to top Go down
Solinan
Hero
Hero

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Agent's Terrain   Chemical Agent's Terrain Icon_minitimeThu 20 Jan 2011 - 8:27

Welcome to the board.
Thats a really great technique, if you haven't already, maybe a stick could be made in the tutorial board?

Looks awesome Smile
Back to top Go down
magokiron
Ancient
Ancient
magokiron

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Agent's Terrain   Chemical Agent's Terrain Icon_minitimeFri 28 Jan 2011 - 9:39

Man, I've played with foam for some time now, but your ideas are

FANTASTIC!

I second the idea this thread SHOULD be in TUTORIALS.

This is one of the best explanations to making a dilapidated stone wall I have ever seen, and I'll try this in the near future.

Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
pascal the rascal
Ancient
Ancient
pascal the rascal

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Agent's Terrain   Chemical Agent's Terrain Icon_minitimeFri 6 May 2011 - 21:36

same here ; thanks a lot for the tutorial ; clearly explained and even clearer pictures
almost can't believe you did this in 15'
tried to view your tutorials, but am apparently too stupid to answer the random question
"Are you a robot if no...then answer me this: What is this show about"
:-(

i'd love to read your other tut's though

keep the pics coming !
i just bought my first sheet of foam, so i'm desperatly in need of inspiration
Back to top Go down
ChemicalAgent
Youngblood
Youngblood
ChemicalAgent

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Agent's Terrain   Chemical Agent's Terrain Icon_minitimeMon 9 May 2011 - 19:43

Thanks for the kind words! Sorry I have been away, but I have been tied up with real life, bullocks to that...

...And well my friends lost interest in Mordheim... Sad news indeed.

But I am still building terrain for Warhammer, and I'm sure that you could uses the terrain for Border Town Burning.

So here is what I've been up to:

Rock formations!
Chemical Agent's Terrain ImpassGroup1

Chemical Agent's Terrain ImpassGroup2

Chemical Agent's Terrain ImpassScale

And here are how they look next to the monolith I built awhile ago:

Chemical Agent's Terrain ImpassMono

And here is what I will be working on next:
Chemical Agent's Terrain IdolSketch

Sorry for the crap photos. I will post better shots tomorrow, including details.

@pascal the rascal: If you don't know what Podhammer is about, you better start listening!
Back to top Go down
Etrigan001
Veteran
Veteran
Etrigan001

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Agent's Terrain   Chemical Agent's Terrain Icon_minitimeMon 9 May 2011 - 19:46

Love the rocks and the monolith is awesome!

Look really cool together!
Back to top Go down
mrtn
General
General
mrtn

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Agent's Terrain   Chemical Agent's Terrain Icon_minitimeMon 9 May 2011 - 21:34

Those stones are looking great, how did you do them?

Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Agent's Terrain   Chemical Agent's Terrain Icon_minitimeMon 9 May 2011 - 21:51

The rock outcroppings are VERY NICELY DONE; they'd enhance any table they're placed on. The Gork or possible Mork Idol looks promising. thumbsup
Too bad about your group lacking taste...erm, losing interest. You have my condolences. Sad
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Agent's Terrain   Chemical Agent's Terrain Icon_minitimeMon 9 May 2011 - 22:20

Those are pretty nice 'crapy' photos, but feel free to do better.

Beautiful terrain, if you ever want to drive up to South-side Indianapolis for a game feel free to bring some along. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chemical Agent's Terrain   Chemical Agent's Terrain Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chemical Agent's Terrain
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next