Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Dire Wolves

Go down 
+2
Claus
Darkfury
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Darkfury
Captain
Captain
Darkfury

Trading Reputation : 0

Dire Wolves Empty
PostSubject: Dire Wolves   Dire Wolves Icon_minitimeThu 12 Aug 2010 - 13:32

Sorry this is going to be really obvious to anyone who has played much, but I just want to check.

Undead Dire Wolves don't need to roll stupidity?

I was previously playing a Dark Elf warband and it took me a while to spot that Cold One Beasthounds had to roll for stupidity. This was because the Mordheimer site lists "Stupidity: Cold One Beasthounds may use the basic Leadership of the Beastmaster if within 6" of him" blah blah, and I (being a newb) thought that was the whole of the Stupidity rule as it applied to the hounds, instead of it just clarifying the "Stupidity" rule from the handbook as it applied to the hounds, if you see what I mean.

I just want to make sure I am not being dense as they seem quite powerful, though obviously they have limitations, i.e. no run, cost, no climbing etc.

Also, if they don't require a Stupidity check, am I right they can pretty much wander off on their own (or end up on their own) as they don't need to make leadership checks for anything? Do they even make "all alone" checks being immune to psychology?

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
Claus
Champion
Champion
Claus

Dire Wolves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dire Wolves   Dire Wolves Icon_minitimeThu 12 Aug 2010 - 13:56

They are immune to psychology and never leave combat.
In their rules nothing is saying they have to test for stupidity.

So....

No stupidity test needed.
No "all alone" test needed.

Yes, they are powerful but they also cost you 50 Gold pieces
Back to top Go down
Plague Docter
General
General
Plague Docter

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

Dire Wolves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dire Wolves   Dire Wolves Icon_minitimeThu 12 Aug 2010 - 14:02

Claus wrote:
They are immune to psychology and never leave combat.
In their rules nothing is saying they have to test for stupidity.

So....

No stupidity test needed.
No "all alone" test needed.

Yes, they are powerful but they also cost you 50 Gold pieces
He is right however most people dont get them because of there cost and the fact they dont level up.

Doc
Back to top Go down
Darkfury
Captain
Captain
Darkfury

Dire Wolves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dire Wolves   Dire Wolves Icon_minitimeThu 12 Aug 2010 - 14:41

Thank you, just checking there wasn't some rule everyone knows that animals are stupid or some such. Thanks peeps!
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

Dire Wolves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dire Wolves   Dire Wolves Icon_minitimeThu 12 Aug 2010 - 15:08

I am one of those who pretty much never puts one in my warbands. I'd much rather have the extra (experience-earning) ghoul.

I frequently forget to roll the stupidity tests for my cold one hounds.
Back to top Go down
Shadowphx
Warlord
Warlord
Shadowphx

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

Dire Wolves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dire Wolves   Dire Wolves Icon_minitimeThu 12 Aug 2010 - 22:25

I’ve noticed when it comes to Dire Wolves, they are the most improperly used Henchmen. Meaning I’ve seen players commonly, from the game start, run them as fast as they can each turn to get into combat. The Wolves are moved at 9M for the first few rounds, and then charge at 18 inches to the attack. Then the opponent charges the most of his/her warband around the Wolf with a flurry or attacks. Meanwhile, the Undead band is moving slowly across the table, and to late to provide backup for the fast attack of the Wolves. To many times the 2-3 Wolves are killed and all that Gold gone. Instead, I move my Undead up into battle and then charge with my Wolves that were holding back. Many seem to forget those Wolves I moved far off to the side. Many have learned not to leave a Hero alone an unattended. And not to leave Heroes just hiding in the back. Nothing, like an attack on 2 fronts. The Main thing with Dire Wolves is to attack in groups to single opponents. With 2 Wolves, this gives you 4 attacks in the Charge round. It’s hard to beat. Use a wolves as a fast attack backup and they seem to be worth more for their 50 gold.
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

Dire Wolves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dire Wolves   Dire Wolves Icon_minitimeThu 12 Aug 2010 - 23:39

The two-front tactic is an interesting one.

I don't normally take them, but when I have it has been so that the vampire can range ahead (useful in snatch-and-grab scenarios) with some support.
Back to top Go down
Plague Docter
General
General
Plague Docter

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

Dire Wolves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dire Wolves   Dire Wolves Icon_minitimeFri 13 Aug 2010 - 0:34

Shadowphx wrote:
I’ve noticed when it comes to Dire Wolves, they are the most improperly used Henchmen. Meaning I’ve seen players commonly, from the game start, run them as fast as they can each turn to get into combat. The Wolves are moved at 9M for the first few rounds, and then charge at 18 inches to the attack. Then the opponent charges the most of his/her warband around the Wolf with a flurry or attacks. Meanwhile, the Undead band is moving slowly across the table, and to late to provide backup for the fast attack of the Wolves. To many times the 2-3 Wolves are killed and all that Gold gone. Instead, I move my Undead up into battle and then charge with my Wolves that were holding back. Many seem to forget those Wolves I moved far off to the side. Many have learned not to leave a Hero alone an unattended. And not to leave Heroes just hiding in the back. Nothing, like an attack on 2 fronts. The Main thing with Dire Wolves is to attack in groups to single opponents. With 2 Wolves, this gives you 4 attacks in the Charge round. It’s hard to beat. Use a wolves as a fast attack backup and they seem to be worth more for their 50 gold.
I usaly move my wolf out of sight then push with my main force wich then usaly makes the enermy consentrate that fight while i move the wolfs in for the kill wich is usaly the wizard or sometimes even the leader if they make a biger mistake, i also use them kind of the same way to ambush the enermy by hiding them then not movin them for 3-4 turns so the enermy player usaly forgets about them then leaving my necromancer unprotected lureing in the enermy thinking they can get a easy kill then BAM out come the wolfs and the vamp soon to folow. However i didnt tell him these due to it being his first warband and most likly first game and these stratergys can be risky if they go wrong and didnt want him to lose his necro or wolfs.

Doc
Back to top Go down
Rudeboy
Elder
Elder
Rudeboy

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Restless Dead (BTB) Restless Dead (BTB)

Dire Wolves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dire Wolves   Dire Wolves Icon_minitimeFri 13 Aug 2010 - 13:30

I usually see them teamed-up with the Vampire, watching his flanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dire Wolves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dire Wolves   Dire Wolves Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dire Wolves
Page 1 of 1