Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

A few questions...

Go down 
+7
Myntokk
Rudeboy
Heart
Aldhick
mweaver
Eliazar
SHazle
11 posters
AuthorMessage
SHazle
Youngblood
Youngblood
SHazle

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders
Achievements earned: none

A few questions... Empty
PostSubject: A few questions...   A few questions... Icon_minitimeTue 23 Feb 2010 - 22:18

First, I was wondering if there were any flying rules for Morhiem.

Second, I've noticed in the Starting Warbands section that people tend to go with quantity over quaility when starting out. And I was wondering if it would be more cost effective to buy the more rare items initially and then fill out the warband after the first match or two, than try to find rare 10 and 11 items after creation? I'm specfically thinking skaven warplock pistols, 2 pistols + 5 gc = 3 verminkin w/club and sling, but I can easily get henchmen in game two and pistols are rare 11 to find. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
-Scott
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

A few questions... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions...   A few questions... Icon_minitimeTue 23 Feb 2010 - 23:09

Well, large numbers are an advantage as you don't rout that qickly, can send in henchmen as cannonfodder and have some buffer if some of them die. All of which is basically helping you to get more income, which in turn helps to develop your warband faster.

With a small elite warband, you need to take MUCH more care of your individual fighters... imagine you black skaven with two warplock pistols dying in game 2 or 3... if it's only a cheap henchman, no problem, but a hero who cost around 100 gc is quite bad.
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

A few questions... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions...   A few questions... Icon_minitimeWed 24 Feb 2010 - 0:11

I sort of split the difference. I will sometimes buy some of the rare kit - esp. if there is a substantial discount - but I also keep an eye on numbers. For a time I ran shadow elves, for example, and they usually had three to four elf bows, but no cloaks or other goodies.
Back to top Go down
Aldhick
Veteran
Veteran
Aldhick

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar

A few questions... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions...   A few questions... Icon_minitimeWed 24 Feb 2010 - 12:28

Large disbalance between quantity and quality is one of the symptoms of core rules in general. Since for the price of heavy armor, which garants you little protection, you can get two average warriors, there's no real reason (other then fluff) to buy one. The same is the case of lots of other equipment (drugs for example). Many people solve this by using their own house rules. If you want to follow core rules, you have to get along with this unbalance.
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

A few questions... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions...   A few questions... Icon_minitimeWed 24 Feb 2010 - 13:22

Who can buy drugs starting out?
Back to top Go down
Heart
Warrior
Warrior
Heart

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

A few questions... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions...   A few questions... Icon_minitimeWed 24 Feb 2010 - 14:21

Orks and Goblins^^
Back to top Go down
Rudeboy
Elder
Elder
Rudeboy

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Restless Dead (BTB) Restless Dead (BTB)

A few questions... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions...   A few questions... Icon_minitimeWed 24 Feb 2010 - 15:33

If you look at it most warbands try to buy all of their purchasable heroes, give them 2 weapons, and the gets as many henchmen as possible and give them 2 weapons.

You want max-out your heroes, because they are the ones that find Warpstone.

You also don't want to put all of your eggs in one basket.

I played a guy who had a Chaos Dwarf warband the one from Border Towns Burning. He only had 4 guys and he armored-up and got them all blunderbusts and a cart. I was playing Lizardmen, and I had at least 12 guys, 4 heros, 4 saurus and 4 skinks. I overwelmed him with numbers. He hit me pretty hard with his blunderbusts, but it wasn't enough to kill all of my guys.

All I had to do was knock-out 1 guy and he had to start making rough tests he had to knock-out 3 of my guys before I had to start making rout tests. So I swarmed him, he used his blunderbusts pretty effectively, he got some bad rolls, and I made some good armor rolls, and I took him down pretty fast.

Think of each guy as an investment. Early on your want to diversafie your investments so if you lose 1 guy it won't be as big of a loss, then as the games go on you want to protect your investments. Then things like Armor become more worthy the investment partly because they protect your current investments and partly because there is nothing else to buy.

Depending on the Warband it might change but for the most part you want to get your Heroes maxed-out ASAP and give them 2 melee weapons if you can aford it a Sword, and a club, if not two clubs, and I would suggest picking-up some ranged weapons especially if your Leader has a good to fair BS I would suggest getting them a Ranged Weapon. If you are playing a warband with good BS then get all your heroes ranged weapons.

The get as many Henchmen as possible giving them 2 clubs if you can afford it, otherwise get them 1 club and the dagger they come with. If you are playing a warband with good BS you might want to set-up some henchmen with Ranged Weapons as well.

Then once you have your heroes and Henchmen maxed-out I would suggest getting everyone that can take them ranged weapons as long as they are cheap I.E. Short Bows or Slings, if they are expensive then still give them out just do it sparingly.

Then I would look into Armor. If you have a Hero that gets into a lot of Melee Combat then give them some armor.
Back to top Go down
Myntokk
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Myntokk

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

A few questions... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions...   A few questions... Icon_minitimeThu 25 Feb 2010 - 3:32

Certain items, like the warplock pistols, are definitely worth getting up hiring if you know you'll want to have them, but as others have pointed out it means that you'll have fewer numbers at least for the first few games, so you'll want to play conservatively at first to make up for it.
Back to top Go down
SHazle
Youngblood
Youngblood
SHazle

Personal Info

A few questions... Empty
PostSubject: The first part.   A few questions... Icon_minitimeThu 25 Feb 2010 - 4:21

Great answers. Thanks.

What about my first question.

Are there FLYING rules?
Back to top Go down
Mortimer
Warlord
Warlord
Mortimer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

A few questions... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions...   A few questions... Icon_minitimeThu 25 Feb 2010 - 5:23

Best I've ever come across are the spells Wings of Darkness and Flight of Zimmeran .... both granting a 12" move anywhere.

Afraid thats the best I can come up with.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

A few questions... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions...   A few questions... Icon_minitimeThu 25 Feb 2010 - 6:10

Flying rules-- the short answer is no.

Some unofficial campaign settings include flying encounters like the equivalent of Tomb Kings Carrion in Relics of the Crusades. Or items like the Flying Carpets in Relics and Khemri.

Edit: Welcome aboard!
Back to top Go down
Dmig
Knight
Knight
Dmig

Personal Info

A few questions... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions...   A few questions... Icon_minitimeThu 25 Feb 2010 - 6:39

There was also a new set of vampire skills in one of the town cryers. One of theminvoled turning into a bat
Back to top Go down
Grumm999
Youngblood
Youngblood
Grumm999

Location : Elizabethtown Kentucky (yes, the one they made a movie about...)

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

A few questions... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions...   A few questions... Icon_minitimeThu 25 Feb 2010 - 8:09

For flying rules, if nothing else you might have to steal the rules from Warhammer Fantasy.

As for warbands, i like story-driven stuff and so outfit my models with what's suitable for the fluff I imagine for them rather than min-max munchkinize them for winning. Never had much of a problem doing that either, though I've never had a big group either.
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

A few questions... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions...   A few questions... Icon_minitimeThu 25 Feb 2010 - 13:30

Some friends of a guy I used to play Mordheim with were had one guy in the group who made some kind of flying warband. I never played with that group, but my friend told me they could never figure out how to balance them - flying is just too powerful in Mordheim. Even one spell caster with one of the flight/teleport spells gives a huge edge to a warband in many scenarios (the snatch-and-run ones).
Back to top Go down
Myntokk
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Myntokk

Personal Info

A few questions... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions...   A few questions... Icon_minitimeThu 25 Feb 2010 - 22:35

Are there any official rules on flight in the "monster hunt" scenario? I can't remember for sure, but it occurred to me that there might be since there are definitely some winged monsters in there.
Back to top Go down
Mortimer
Warlord
Warlord
Mortimer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

A few questions... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions...   A few questions... Icon_minitimeThu 25 Feb 2010 - 23:44

Myntokk wrote:
Are there any official rules on flight in the "monster hunt" scenario? I can't remember for sure, but it occurred to me that there might be since there are definitely some winged monsters in there.

If I remember right, since they where all 'young' monsters the excuse was they had underdeveloped wings at that point ... could be wrong though.
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

A few questions... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions...   A few questions... Icon_minitimeFri 26 Feb 2010 - 0:32

Nope, your memory is solid:

"The monster’s lair is located in the central building and this is where the beast will be. The monster is young for one of its kind and its profile reflects this. In addition, a lifetime of living in caverns beneath the city has kept the creature from learning to use its wings. Therefore, unlike most monsters, this beast cannot fly." (Chaos in the Streets, p. 33).
Back to top Go down
SHazle
Youngblood
Youngblood
SHazle

Personal Info

A few questions... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions...   A few questions... Icon_minitimeFri 26 Feb 2010 - 17:58

Thanks all for the help.
For flying I'm going to use something close to the vampire bat and the flying carpet rules.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A few questions... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions...   A few questions... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A few questions...
Page 1 of 1