Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Foam core primer

Go down 
+3
DeafNala
messiahs-abomination
qboid
7 posters
AuthorMessage
qboid
Elder
Elder
qboid

Trading Reputation : 0

Foam core primer Empty
PostSubject: Foam core primer   Foam core primer Icon_minitimeThu 18 Feb 2010 - 10:40

Hi guys,

Can anyone point me at a spray primer that's safe to use on foam core?
I know you can seal the foam edges with pva then use anything, but is there something that won't melt the core straight out of the can?

Im in the UK so if anyone knows of anything a brand name would be good ta.
Back to top Go down
messiahs-abomination
Youngblood
Youngblood
messiahs-abomination

Foam core primer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foam core primer   Foam core primer Icon_minitimeThu 18 Feb 2010 - 11:19

I don't know of anything, not sure if there is a spray product out there that won't melt it.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

Foam core primer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foam core primer   Foam core primer Icon_minitimeThu 18 Feb 2010 - 14:06

There are a couple of spray paints that are used for floral work that are safe to use on foam...it's the propellant that's the problem with the sprays. Foam core primer Fresse
Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: None

Foam core primer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foam core primer   Foam core primer Icon_minitimeThu 18 Feb 2010 - 14:22

Not a cheap option but you could use regular acrylic paint in an air-brush (powered by a compressor - don't use canned propellant though as it will have the same problem).

I think it makes more sense to seal with PVA then spray with normal paint to be honest! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
Pretaboire
Champion
Champion
Pretaboire

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

Foam core primer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foam core primer   Foam core primer Icon_minitimeThu 18 Feb 2010 - 14:39

Once I get to the painting stage of the theater I was going to try out an old method from back in the day . I will do a thin mix of pva water and black paint and put it in a plant mister (or even a washed out multi-surface cleaner bottle) and use this to "spray" undercoat the whole thing.
Back to top Go down
messiahs-abomination
Youngblood
Youngblood
messiahs-abomination

Foam core primer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foam core primer   Foam core primer Icon_minitimeThu 18 Feb 2010 - 18:06

Pretaboire wrote:
Once I get to the painting stage of the theater I was going to try out an old method from back in the day . I will do a thin mix of pva water and black paint and put it in a plant mister (or even a washed out multi-surface cleaner bottle) and use this to "spray" undercoat the whole thing.

I used to do something like that to stop sand and gravel basing from flicking off when I painted it, should do that again really, had completely forgotten about it Smile Thanks!!!
Back to top Go down
HornedRat
Elder
Elder
HornedRat

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

Foam core primer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foam core primer   Foam core primer Icon_minitimeThu 18 Feb 2010 - 19:39

There are a few paints that are safe for foam. I would check with your local art store / craft store vs your DYI shops. You might also take a look at RC model shops. I found this link on google..

http://www.indoorflyer.co.uk/foam-safe-paint-77-c.asp This would be the stuff you are looking for

Also the Krylon H2O brand is marked safe for foam, but I have never personally used it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pbase.com/therat
qboid
Elder
Elder
qboid

Foam core primer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foam core primer   Foam core primer Icon_minitimeThu 18 Feb 2010 - 20:54

Thanks for the help guys, especially that link ^^ , i will be ordering some of that.
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: None

Foam core primer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foam core primer   Foam core primer Icon_minitimeThu 18 Feb 2010 - 22:04

Krylon H2O Latex

It won't melt foam, but i can only find it in glossy black, where matte black would be ideal.

Yes the website says it takes 15 minutes to dry, that is a lie! It is very watery, and to get good coverage you will need to spray it several times from different angles. It took about 6 hours to dry enough to be handled, high humidity didn't help...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Foam core primer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foam core primer   Foam core primer Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Foam core primer
Page 1 of 1