Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy]

Go down 
+9
Erkwin
lord siwoc
Admin Tom
cianty
Ashton
Tagnator
Boehm
Lanyssa Ryssyll
thatirwinfella
13 posters
AuthorMessage
thatirwinfella
Captain
Captain
thatirwinfella

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: None

Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] Empty
PostSubject: Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy]   Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] Icon_minitimeSat 29 Mar 2008 - 0:19

the first one is a ruined multistorey building. it's made from foam core and balsa, wasn't too difficult, but a lot of fun to make. It's may favourite piece so far.

the rear
Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] 000_0460

the front
Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] 000_0459

the front since has walkways along there, and the side. It's very handy for game play as it allows the upper storeys to be accesible from multiple directions, not just below.
it's all painted and finished, and i'll try get a photo up in the gallery.

the next is what we've dubbed the sin bin. All my out of action models get placed in here so that I can keep track of them. The inside is going to be modelled as a bar, complete with bar tender and serving wench.

Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] 000_0485
Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] 000_0484
Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] 000_0486

the inside tiles are foam core cut into little pieces, with the gapes between the tiles filled with pva and sand. it sounds good in theory, but when the pva dries it leaves all these annoying little gaps due to shrinkage. the walkways on the side are to allow it to be playable when placed on the table.

the next is the first building I made for mordheim. it's made from pasteboard, which is solid and cheap, but difficult to cut. I had a lot of trouble cutting windows and doors for this, until i started using wood chisels to punch out the shapes i needed. that speeded things up a lot, but severely damaged the bench in the garage. this is also finished, but doesn't look too great. mostly like a building with the back wall missing.

Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] 000_0400
Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] 000_0402
Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] 000_0406

the roof tiles for this are from a cut up cereal box. rather than cut hundreds of individual tiles, i cut strips of tiles. it saves a lot of time. I've also found paper clips are extremely useful for holding anything while the glue dries.
Back to top Go down
thatirwinfella
Captain
Captain
thatirwinfella

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy]   Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] Icon_minitimeSat 29 Mar 2008 - 1:24

here's a warehouse that i'm also working on. it's made mostly in the same way as the sin bin. i've tried to make a trap door in the floor, and a staircase up the inside wall. the staircase is actually pretty dodgy, and i need a bit of practice making better ones.

Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] 000_0490
Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] 000_0489

like the sin bin and the multistorey house, this will get a base coat of textured paint, particularly on the exposed foam, then will be painted just using housepaint.

<edit for wrong images linked... oops>
Back to top Go down
Lanyssa Ryssyll
Ancient
Ancient
Lanyssa Ryssyll

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy]   Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] Icon_minitimeSat 29 Mar 2008 - 5:19

It's very impressive ! WOOOOOOOW Shocked

A dwarf thunderer placed "three floor high" could make great damage, believe me ! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Boehm
General
General
Boehm

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy]   Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] Icon_minitimeSat 29 Mar 2008 - 12:08

Lanyssa Ryssyll wrote:
It's very impressive ! WOOOOOOOW Shocked

A dwarf thunderer placed "three floor high" could make great damage, believe me ! Twisted Evil

...especially when he plummets to the ground with a bit loud squAzh ... Shocked
Back to top Go down
Tagnator
Etheral
Etheral
Tagnator

Trading Reputation : 6

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders

PostSubject: Re: Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy]   Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] Icon_minitimeSat 29 Mar 2008 - 12:11

cool work mate! A big ruin, but it looks good! Smile
Back to top Go down
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy]   Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] Icon_minitimeSat 29 Mar 2008 - 18:45

I don't know how I missed this thread.

This is really nice work. Good job.

I really like your tactic of making "planks" by drawing hard, straight lines into that material. (What material is that anyway?)

My only cretique is that the wood planks are never 40 ft long each. They would normally be lengths of 8 ft long, and staggered

ie:
Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] Church-floor2
Click to Enlarge

more details/pics here: http://mordheim.ashtonsanders.com/2007/12/01/building-mordheim-church/

Good Work,
Back to top Go down
http://mordheim.ashtonsanders.com
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy]   Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] Icon_minitimeSat 29 Mar 2008 - 19:21

Sweet! Buildings of this size add a lot to the games. I recently played at a friend's who bought some fucking huge buildings via ebay. Seriously, my eye balls were about to fall out when I saw the buildings. I was like affraid

During the games we had I found it really really interesting with all the options and tactical positions I had to choose from. Those were some really exciting games and, once again, I became aware of how lame the cardboard buildings from the Mordheim box are*. We're not playing with them for quite a while now and we're not looking back.

*This isn't meant as critique towards GW. I think they did a great job with the buildings. In a starter box you just can't include huge beautiful buildings made of cardboard. And the Mordheim plastic sprues for the buildings are pretty good too.
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy]   Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] Icon_minitimeSat 29 Mar 2008 - 19:23

cianty wrote:
I was like affraid
HAHAHA
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Trading Reputation : 12

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy]   Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] Icon_minitimeSat 29 Mar 2008 - 19:26

Excellent buildings!

thatirwinfella
Captain
Captain
thatirwinfella

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy]   Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] Icon_minitimeSun 30 Mar 2008 - 0:42

thanks for the comments and critique.

i was trying to replicate the sort of building you mihgt find in early victorian [and whatever came before that- georgian?] london; once grand, but now a derelict slum that just keeps being added to. I'd just read Bryce Courtney's "the potato factory" which had some fantastic descriptions of the slums.

Organboy has a few largeish buildings as well, that are great fun to combine. We have a lot of very long bridges that we criss cross the board with. Excellent for snipers and diving charges, not good when a combat is situated under the meeting point of three bridges Very Happy

We've had quite a few snipers end up falling off, and getting plenty of hits. All in the name of a cool game.

I can understand entirely about the boards, and agree. I just didn't think about it at the time. It's more foamcore, with the pen scraped through. For those that don't know what foamcore is, it's a thin layer of foam sandwiched between two sheets of paper. It comes in a huge board, and is a little costly. You do get a lot for your money though, so once you've made a few buildings from the sheet it's totally worth it. The baseboards were all made from MDF. The only problem is having to seal it before spraying it, but i worked out fine fortunately. Next time I'll have to put more definition for the board ends.
Back to top Go down
thatirwinfella
Captain
Captain
thatirwinfella

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy]   Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] Icon_minitimeThu 17 Apr 2008 - 10:11

here's a new building that i've made. as per usual it's foamcore, balsawood and mdf. i'm undecided about what to do with the roof for it, but i'll be making that seperately. it's too annoying having to paint the inside of a building that i can't fit my hand into.

anyway, comments are most welcome and i hope you get some inspiration of what [or what not] to make.

Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] 100_0614Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] 100_0619
Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] 100_0615Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] 100_0618Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] 100_0617
Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] 100_0616Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] 100_0620

i'm intending to paint the center and most ruined buildings as if they were stone, and the remaining building as if it was a later add-on. when it's done, pics will go up in the gallery with my other things.

Adam
Back to top Go down
Lanyssa Ryssyll
Ancient
Ancient
Lanyssa Ryssyll

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy]   Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] Icon_minitimeThu 17 Apr 2008 - 11:15

I wish I can do the same soon !!! Shocked
I don't know if it's easy to make, but it's terrible ! Freaky awesome ! Razz
Back to top Go down
thatirwinfella
Captain
Captain
thatirwinfella

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy]   Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] Icon_minitimeThu 17 Apr 2008 - 12:41

it's pretty easy to make a basic ruin or building, and it doesn't take much to expand it. there are plenty of tutorials, including some on the GW site. all you need is a cutting surface, a ruler, pencil and a stanley knife. for the detail, i used a few different types of balsa, and cut it with electricians pliers. it makes it surprisingly easier.
Back to top Go down
lord siwoc
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
lord siwoc

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy]   Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] Icon_minitimeThu 17 Apr 2008 - 13:45

I love the balcony and the hole in the wall!!! Gives more options.

Great stuff!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.lordsiwoc.dk
Tagnator
Etheral
Etheral
Tagnator

Trading Reputation : 6

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders

PostSubject: Re: Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy]   Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] Icon_minitimeThu 17 Apr 2008 - 15:34

nice! Very Happy very nice work Smile
Back to top Go down
Erkwin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Erkwin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy]   Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] Icon_minitimeThu 17 Apr 2008 - 15:37

Wonderful buildings, and great inspiration!
Thanks a lot! cheers
Back to top Go down
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy]   Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] Icon_minitimeThu 17 Apr 2008 - 17:29

Again, Great work! Can't wait to see it painted!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info

PostSubject: Cool Buildings in Progress   Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] Icon_minitimeThu 17 Apr 2008 - 18:20

Very nice work; Nice sized buildings. I really like the balconey on the last piece.

Painting the insides is a great test as to the gaming potential of the building;i.e., if you can't get your hand inside, you probably can't move the minis around without damaging the piece. Plus, most gamers are ham fisted oafs, so a little larger is a damage control measure.

On cutting the doors & windows, I found [with the pink foam I use] that after framing them out, if I heat my knife [a candle works well for this] I get a nice clean cut. When you encounter some drag on the blade, reheat it.
Back to top Go down
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy]   Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] Icon_minitimeThu 24 Apr 2008 - 2:42

Great work!

Let me know if you ever want to sell some stuff.
Back to top Go down
organboy
Champion
Champion
organboy

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy]   Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] Icon_minitimeThu 24 Apr 2008 - 7:31

I've so gotta start putting rubble in and around my buildings..

Can't wait to see them in person.
Back to top Go down
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy]   Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] Icon_minitimeThu 24 Apr 2008 - 8:18

organboy wrote:
Can't wait to see them in person.

[whine]I hate you people living so close... Why do American's hate Mordheim? Evil or Very Mad Why am I 1200 miles from the closest Mordheimer... Question [/whine]
Back to top Go down
organboy
Champion
Champion
organboy

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy]   Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] Icon_minitimeThu 24 Apr 2008 - 9:09

@Ashton: There are four of us in a city of 200,000 people. I'm sure there are more in Melbourne but that's an hour (or 90km) away. But we were all friends into other GW games and we all decided to start playing Mordheim so it wasn't as though we 'found' each other so to speak.
Back to top Go down
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy]   Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] Icon_minitimeThu 24 Apr 2008 - 17:27

Yea... I guess that's what i get for living in a tiny town of 7k.... But still, I've checked Every Mordheim site on the ineternet, and I'm the only one in Montana (which still is probably under 200k =]), and the closest Mordheimers are a good 4-5 hours away.

Okay, done ranting, back to work Wink
Back to top Go down
Greenmonkeydishwater
Youngblood
Youngblood
Greenmonkeydishwater

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy]   Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] Icon_minitimeFri 25 Apr 2008 - 4:27

Its just a matter of converting the 40k and Fantasy players to get more people into mordheim!!!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info

PostSubject: Thatirwinfellas WIP   Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] Icon_minitimeSat 26 Apr 2008 - 12:35

@Ashton:: I feel your pain Bro. I have a couple ideas for you. When I get them together, I'll PM/email you. Stff upper lip, old man, it's obvious you were meant to carry The Word into the dark wastes of Montana. Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] 40268
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy]   Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy] Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thatirwinfellas Works in Progress [pic heavy]
Page 1 of 1