Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

What glue to use?

Go down 
+3
perfesser
cianty
Gobbo Freak
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Gobbo Freak
Elder
Elder
Gobbo Freak

Trading Reputation : 7

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

What glue to use? Empty
PostSubject: What glue to use?   What glue to use? Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009 - 15:51

Quick Question here.

What glue is best to use for putting plastics and metals together?

Or do I put something in between first?
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

What glue to use? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What glue to use?   What glue to use? Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009 - 16:31

Superglue? Plain and simple. Has worked for me for years.

For metal parts it is often a good idea to pin the parts in addition.
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
Gobbo Freak
Elder
Elder
Gobbo Freak

Personal Info

What glue to use? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What glue to use?   What glue to use? Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009 - 17:19

doesn't the superglue "eat" the plastic part?
Back to top Go down
perfesser
Champion
Champion
perfesser

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

What glue to use? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What glue to use?   What glue to use? Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009 - 18:01

Gobbo Freak wrote:
doesn't the superglue "eat" the plastic part?
Nope.

"Plastic Glue" slightly melts plastic, so plastic to plastic joins with plastic glues are welds, but super glue doesn't melt or eat anything.

I use super glue for all bonds, since it can actually be cracked apart later if I screw up the model's pose. The only situation where I think plastic glue is superior is if you are a bit rough with models or tend to drop them as super glue will crack apart and cause loss of model bits.
Back to top Go down
Kaptain Dedgob
Veteran
Veteran
Kaptain Dedgob

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info

What glue to use? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What glue to use?   What glue to use? Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009 - 21:36

Using normal superglue on plastic just doesn't hold that well and sometimes, once they're dry, they snap off easy and of course it doesn't hold metal miniatures at all. I use citadel plastic glue for plastic models and some industrial superglue brand for metal ones. The citadel plastic glue has pretty much of the stuff in the bottle, so it's pretty well worth the price. Not like their superglue though, very small bottle, not worth what they are asking for it. Hopefully this helps. Just my two cents into this matter.
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

What glue to use? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What glue to use?   What glue to use? Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009 - 22:05

Kaptain Dedgob wrote:
Using normal superglue on plastic just doesn't hold that well and sometimes, once they're dry, they snap off easy and of course it doesn't hold metal miniatures at all.

What? I've been using super cheap superglue for more than 10 years and never head problems. I'm now using 1 EUR superglue (3 packs for 1 EUR) from those cheap stores. Works perfectly fine.
Back to top Go down
Gobbo Freak
Elder
Elder
Gobbo Freak

Personal Info

What glue to use? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What glue to use?   What glue to use? Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009 - 22:29

I usually use Pattex superglue on my metal mini's and the basic Plastic glue from GW for my plastics.

Since I don't glue plastics to metals that frequently is why I asked What glue to use? Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

What glue to use? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What glue to use?   What glue to use? Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009 - 22:41

I have been mixing metal and plastic parts a lot and never had problems. Don't know... Maybe it depends on the make you can have some real bad luck with the glue? scratch
Back to top Go down
Kaptain Dedgob
Veteran
Veteran
Kaptain Dedgob

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info

What glue to use? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What glue to use?   What glue to use? Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009 - 23:25

cianty wrote:
I have been mixing metal and plastic parts a lot and never had problems. Don't know... Maybe it depends on the make you can have some real bad luck with the glue? scratch

Superglue works with both of course, but I'm just saying that plastic glue keeps the plastic parts together really well. It all depends on what kind of superglue you use, if you use that kind of more "solid" stuff, it holds better even with the plastics, but it sometimes leaves bigger spills, but if we're talking about the running kind superglue that citadel does, it doesn't hold the plastic parts together that well.
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

What glue to use? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What glue to use?   What glue to use? Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009 - 23:34

Kaptain Dedgob wrote:
if we're talking about the running kind superglue that citadel does, it doesn't hold the plastic parts together that well.

Never bothered with anything hobby-related from GW other than the miniatures and books themselves. My usual glue is rather fluid though. Oh well...
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info

What glue to use? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What glue to use?   What glue to use? Icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009 - 9:20

For plastic minis/models I use Plastic Surgery, a type of "super" glue formulated specifically for hard plastics...works well on wood also. For most metal minis I use Crazy(Super) Glue &, with REALLY big metal minis, two part epoxy cement.

cianty wrote:
Never bothered with anything hobby-related from GW other than the miniatures and books themselves. My usual glue is rather fluid though. Oh well...

Likewise I avoid GW products other than their usually lovely minis...their stuff is VERY overpriced. What glue to use? Suspect
Back to top Go down
Turquoise Dwarf
Champion
Champion
Turquoise Dwarf

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info

What glue to use? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What glue to use?   What glue to use? Icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009 - 13:14

I use super glue and then when that has dried a very thin layer of pva which stops it from snapping off. If the pva is to thick it obscures the details you just need a slight skin to hold it together.
Back to top Go down
Gobbo Freak
Elder
Elder
Gobbo Freak

Personal Info

What glue to use? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What glue to use?   What glue to use? Icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009 - 14:11

After using GW PVA glue, I notived I might as well use Woodglue... It's the same stuff What glue to use? Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Ezekiel
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Ezekiel

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Merchants (BTB) Merchants (BTB)
Achievements earned: None

What glue to use? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What glue to use?   What glue to use? Icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009 - 17:00

I just returned from a railroad modelling fair here, and bought THE superglue... it's called "Olba Industrielijm" and it glues pretty much anything. 10 euros a bottle though, but in the demo we glued some metals, rubbers, plastics and whatnot, after which we IMMEDIATELY held a little game of tug of war, putting our entire weight into it... and the stuf held! crazily effective, and no need to use much of it... so I'm ditching my already great zap-a-gap for this stuff! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysthconcepts.nl
Gobbo Freak
Elder
Elder
Gobbo Freak

Personal Info

What glue to use? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What glue to use?   What glue to use? Icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009 - 17:12

those railroad modelling people always have the good stuff What glue to use? Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What glue to use? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What glue to use?   What glue to use? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What glue to use?
Page 1 of 1