Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

The Watcher BtB Campaign end our thoughts and thanks.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TheWatcher
Champion
Champion
TheWatcher

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ogres (BTB) Ogres (BTB)
Achievements earned: none

The Watcher BtB Campaign end our thoughts and thanks. Empty
PostSubject: The Watcher BtB Campaign end our thoughts and thanks.   The Watcher BtB Campaign end our thoughts and thanks. Icon_minitimeThu 3 Sep 2009 - 22:22

Hi all my gaming group has just finished its BTB campaign and we would like to share our thoughts on the campaign.

Ok firstly the whole story and background for this game setting is massive and rich in depth with well thought out bonus extras, once you have printed out all the rules its more like something you would pay good money for and if this had cost us money all three of us would have to agree it would have been money well spent, you can tell instantly while reading or even at a quick glance none of the book has been rushed or thrown together but well thought out and planned.

The scenarios are great and we had a lot of fun playing them we all agreed that Avalanche wasn’t one of our favourites how ever and even tho we didn’t enjoy this one as much as the rest its still a very good idea and fits in with the story, ok so while on scenarios I will list our preferences.

Martin (me) my favourite was Man Hunt and after a bad start in not reading it through and being nudged back in the right direction by Cianty ( cheers dude ) I found this to be great fun 1v1v1 and then 3 monsters chasing you round the board awesome.

Kev ( Cian SheildBiter ) he said his favourite was Horrors of the Underground and im sure after all his years running around the space hulk this must have brought back some very fond memories for him.

Chris ( kevs son ) His favourite was Heist ( I asked the question and he didn’t even pause to think so I can only assume that he had a hell of a lot of fun playing it).

Ok so Alignments this is a group three cheers point we loved it lots of ideas and lots of depth to add to your warband we enjoyed it that much that when we play are next homebrew campaign we are even thinking on adding something similar to it.

Chaos artefacts where another strong point for Kev his favourite being the Broadsword of Damnation.

So now a few sad notes Sad being only three of us we only managed to play two of the BTB warbands norse and maneaters we looked at the others but due to models and things we didn’t get to fully experience everything Crying or Very sad tho I guess theres always next time cheers .

Man eaters I really liked the warband but I found them very hard to play sometimes even a little tiring with the EXP penalty at times the group thought the warband over powered taking the first five games I think it was wasn’t a problem and that’s not being big headed its just the fact that five ogres take a lot of hammering on, then in the middle of the campaign I lost steam and they performed badly no matter what I tried then I decided on an old blood bowl tactic saving and buying the max all in one go tho very risky it soon showed to have payed off when once again I was a force hard to stop.

I have an ogre army in war hammer and tho I don’t play them I know how hard an ogre can be and bringing that to mordheim is no easy task tho I think the BTB team have made the ogres in the fairest sense and a worthy addition to the available warbands to date.

Sitting down and thinking back not only to the book but our games and experiences I cant honestly say I found anything not to have been any fun its all been great after gaming with our group for around 13 years I have to say this has been one of great moments and we have played a lot of games and tried lots of things.

I guess for now I should wrap things up until more things we enjoyed and theres lots spring to mind and post them on here so from all three of us we would like to say
Thanks BTB team for a most enjoyable Setting a lot of fun and all your hard work its been an incredible amount of fun.

….. Oh and for you guys and gals that have endured my writing skills thank you for reading this and for being the kind of community that accepts strays like myself and Sheildbiter and brings us many laughs and help along the way.

Thanks all
Martin
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: The Watcher BtB Campaign end our thoughts and thanks.   The Watcher BtB Campaign end our thoughts and thanks. Icon_minitimeThu 3 Sep 2009 - 23:39

Thanks a lot for your kind words, Martin! I am glad to read that you and your group enjoyed the campaign so much.

A few comments:

Man Hunt scenario - This is a sort of unusual scenario. It was intended as the opposite of Monster Hunt (hence the name) with warbands hiding from the monsters instead of hunting them down. If you aren't careful, you can easily lose here and it will probably take many players one or two games to find out how to act best here. Also, using the "hide" mechanic is important here and so is carefully placing terrain in turns. It's probably more strategic than most scenarios.

Avalanche - This scenario is meant to be a drag and a "tool" for the Chaos warbands. Marauders and Beastmen can try to force this scenario on their opponents, who, if they are unprepared and haven't bought winter cloths, will heavily struggle here because of the Movement penalties (the scenario is set in the snow-clad Northern Wastes - see territory rules). Since the Marauders and Beastmen do not need the winter clothes, they can make other warbands, e.g. Merchants, Monks, etc play here and then defeat them in their home lands.

The Tainted Copse - I missed this in your list. Did you play it? Did you miss the necessary forest sections? I strongly recommend not adjusting this scenario to a 3-way, because the forest shuffling then really becomes tiring. As a two-player game, as it is intended, it is great fun and a definate favourite in my group.

Alright, again, thank you! Maybe you get to play another campaign some day and then get to try some of the other objectives or even warbands.

Best
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Norse (Unofficial) Norse (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: The Watcher BtB Campaign end our thoughts and thanks.   The Watcher BtB Campaign end our thoughts and thanks. Icon_minitimeSat 5 Sep 2009 - 14:01

Hi Martin.

Thanks for the detailed feedback. It's great that you've gone to the trouble of expressing your discoveries and feelings here, not least of all because you are part of an seasoned gaming group.

After completing the unenviable task of herding ogres into the fray it is pleasing to see yourself, as a dedicated Warhammer general of the big ugly brutes, getting such a positive experience out of the Maneaters. Wink

Quote :
Ok so Alignments this is a group three cheers
point we loved it lots of ideas and lots of depth to add to your
warband we enjoyed it that much that when we play are next homebrew
campaign we are even thinking on adding something similar to it.

Christian & I weren't sure what this referred to at first, but then we surmised that you were praising the new rules for using non-player characters and for having these Allies tag along with your warbands!

The use of Allies provided wonderful highlights in the campaigns which we ran also!

Now for a strange co-incidence Martin. This month I have been toying with the prospect of picking up on some of the favourite mechanics for Allies and applying them to all Hired Swords during epic campaign play. Whatever I find to work the best will be included in a future article/resource which we will make available to Mordheimers through the Border Town Burning web site.

The reasoning behind this is that there is nothing in the optional Mordheim rules that reflects on the behaviour of those sell-swords that find themselves drawn in to arduous campaigns and how that experience might impact on their 'contractual obligations'.

Regards,

Werekin.

B-)
Back to top Go down
https://libermalefic.blogspot.com/
Cian Shieldbiter
Knight
Knight
Cian Shieldbiter

PostSubject: Re: The Watcher BtB Campaign end our thoughts and thanks.   The Watcher BtB Campaign end our thoughts and thanks. Icon_minitimeMon 7 Sep 2009 - 15:33

Hi Folk, i can only second what martin has said.
Werekin, by alignments Martin means "scion of chaos" etc.
The last installment of Eric the short will be posted soon.

Cian Shieldbiter
Back to top Go down
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Watcher BtB Campaign end our thoughts and thanks.   The Watcher BtB Campaign end our thoughts and thanks. Icon_minitimeTue 8 Sep 2009 - 1:31

Ah, he meant the Objectives then.

Yes it is quite the triumph as far as I am concerned. It would feel like the glass is half-empty if I were to go adventuring without Cianty's insidious Achievements & Objectives brain-child! These and the inclusion of the Merchants Caravan with its 'Open for Business' trading options, were my personal highlights of the whole experience.

Expect an urban-based Objectives selection to surface in the too distant future. Sir, yes sir!

Regards,

Stuart.

B-)
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: The Watcher BtB Campaign end our thoughts and thanks.   The Watcher BtB Campaign end our thoughts and thanks. Icon_minitimeTue 8 Sep 2009 - 8:46

Uh, alright. Glad you guys liked the Objectives. bounce If you come up with some extension/twist of the objectives, please let us know! We'd be very interested in that. Also, Stu is probably right with what he says... uh-oh...
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Watcher BtB Campaign end our thoughts and thanks.   The Watcher BtB Campaign end our thoughts and thanks. Icon_minitimeTue 8 Sep 2009 - 20:52

Hail the Vessel, Hail the Vessel...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Watcher BtB Campaign end our thoughts and thanks.   The Watcher BtB Campaign end our thoughts and thanks. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Watcher BtB Campaign end our thoughts and thanks.
Page 1 of 1