Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

First 2 story house on 6x6 block

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tewfik
Warlord
Warlord
Tewfik

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven
Achievements earned: none

First 2 story house on 6x6 block Empty
PostSubject: First 2 story house on 6x6 block   First 2 story house on 6x6 block Icon_minitimeWed 8 Jul 2009 - 20:21

Here is my first attempt at building a house...

http://www.tabletopgeeks.com/first-house-attempt-round-1/ (not the greatest post as I did it quickly while at work)

There is still much to be done but so far I am pleased with my first attempt.

Any input is Welcome!! Razz

Last edited by Tewfik on Wed 8 Jul 2009 - 20:48; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.tabletopgeeks.com
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: First 2 story house on 6x6 block   First 2 story house on 6x6 block Icon_minitimeWed 8 Jul 2009 - 20:46

VERY NICE START! The Building looks about the same size as the ones from the boxed set. Where you go from here will determine just how cool it can be. Judging from the Cobblestone Saga that should be PRETTY DARNED COOL! thumbsup
BTW I ALWAYS frame out & [then] cut my windows & doors AFTER the building is assembled; ergo, from my perspective, you did things in the right order. Suspect
Back to top Go down
lord siwoc
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
lord siwoc

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: First 2 story house on 6x6 block   First 2 story house on 6x6 block Icon_minitimeWed 8 Jul 2009 - 20:52

Good start.

Maybe add a ladder at a later point.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lordsiwoc.dk
Svenn
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Svenn

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: First 2 story house on 6x6 block   First 2 story house on 6x6 block Icon_minitimeWed 8 Jul 2009 - 20:53

DeafNala wrote:
VERY NICE START! The Building looks about the same size as the ones from the boxed set. Where you go from here will determine just how cool it can be. Judging from the Cobblestone Saga that should be PRETTY DARNED COOL! thumbsup
BTW I ALWAYS frame out & [then] cut my windows & doors AFTER the building is assembled; ergo, from my perspective, you did things in the right order. Suspect

Any reasoning behind cutting the doors/windows out last? It's a lot easier to draw it up, then lay it flat and cut them out real quick I think.

And yeah, it's pretty close to the same size as some of the boxed set buildings. We wanted to go with something small first for practice and refining our techniques, so we put something on that fills up a single small 6" block. Our goal for each piece of terrain is to have the buildings go out to within 1-2" of the edge of the block. This way when we line everything up we'll have a lot of small alleys and 2-4" gaps between buildings. This will leave lots of room for jumping gaps from building to building while also leaving the possibility that the gap you're eyeing is actually a little more than 3". Smile
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: First 2 story house on 6x6 block   First 2 story house on 6x6 block Icon_minitimeWed 8 Jul 2009 - 21:10

Partially cutting out the windows after the fact is my spontaneous creation method; i.e., I'll dream up something, then make it happen. Once it's together I add the openings where they look "right". I use the fan style pink foam for my walls & floors. Once the framing is glued in place, I heat my knife [candle] & following the frames make my cuts. This, my efficency minded friend, IS a VERY quick way of cutting out all the doors & windows in one fell swoop,. geek

Getting some practice on a smaller structure is an EXCELLENT idea. If you leave off the roof for now you can always go back & add additional floors or not. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Tewfik
Warlord
Warlord
Tewfik

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: First 2 story house on 6x6 block   First 2 story house on 6x6 block Icon_minitimeWed 8 Jul 2009 - 22:01

Yeah, Im still trying to decide if we want a roof or not... but that can be decided at a later time...

@ Lord: I dont think we are going to be installing perminant ladders to any structure (or this is my thought) but plan to have MANY setup around the city, some up to other floors some from building to building, but the idea is to keep it somewhat random, even tho the blocks will be permanent you wont always be climbing the same ones.

@ Deaf: I like the heated knife idea... but seeing how the foam we use is covered on both sides by paper this could pose a small problem... but I will test this idea out when I get home.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: First 2 story house on 6x6 block   First 2 story house on 6x6 block Icon_minitimeWed 8 Jul 2009 - 22:23

Tewfik wrote:
@ Deaf: I like the heated knife idea... but seeing how the foam we use is covered on both sides by paper this could pose a small problem... but I will test this idea out when I get home.

SOLUTION: cut into the paper along the lines of the window to expose the foam. You only have to do this on the one side; the knife should be able to cut through the paper on the other side.
CAVEAT: in addition to making a nice clean cut, the heated blade will also melt the foam. Framing the window before hand will stop the melting from going beyond the area meant to be cut. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Tewfik
Warlord
Warlord
Tewfik

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: First 2 story house on 6x6 block   First 2 story house on 6x6 block Icon_minitimeWed 8 Jul 2009 - 22:34

Cool I will definatly give it a go next time I make windows/doors...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First 2 story house on 6x6 block   First 2 story house on 6x6 block Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First 2 story house on 6x6 block
Page 1 of 1