Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Warband Roster Sub Forum?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Exarch Thomo
Knight
Knight
Exarch Thomo

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: None

Warband Roster Sub Forum? Empty
PostSubject: Warband Roster Sub Forum?   Warband Roster Sub Forum? Icon_minitimeThu 26 Feb 2009 - 5:47

Hi all,
I had a somewhat length hiatus from this site and when I came back I saw Matt's post putting all the starter warbands in the one thread. While I imagine that this was done to clean up the forum etc, I am curious as to why? While they are all in the one place, it can be rather confusing, and posts and lists get lost in all the replies. For simple folk like myself, it can be somewhat confusing try to keep a track of what is where and who's.
So, is there any chance of a sub forum getting set up for rosters? Or has all this been discussed already and, as usual, I've missed the boat and am only now catching up?
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: Warband Roster Sub Forum?   Warband Roster Sub Forum? Icon_minitimeThu 26 Feb 2009 - 10:30

Yes, this was done to clean things up. I know no one will bother to search that thread for starting warbands but before that no one bothered to look beyong the first 5 threads either (if at all) before posting their own starting warband. There is no way to prevent people from posting before researching.

I actually did consider compiling standard starting lists for some of the most popular warbands and discussed it with Tom. I never got around to it though and I don't think I ever will. Most of what you could do has been said on Mordheimer.com anyways, but do people care to check that out? I did include the link in the first post of the starting warbands thread.

So I think no matter what you do people will always ignore any existing discussion and just post their own. This is not bad it's just how it is.

If there were less warbands then I think it would be best to have sticky threads for each warband and in that thread starting warbands can be discussed. But if you have a brief look at the Watchtower you get an idea of how many stickied threads that would make. Even the rulebook plus EiF is a lot (around 10?).

Hmmm.. Maybe it is not a bad idea to have a Starting warbands sub-forum with one thread per warband. I guess that's what you had in mind?

What do others think?
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Trading Reputation : 12

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Warband Roster Sub Forum?   Warband Roster Sub Forum? Icon_minitimeThu 26 Feb 2009 - 11:08

Hi Exarch!

Thank you for voicing your ideas!

As Cianty said, we have thought about how to solve this problem of warband threads growing really fast.

Finally we ended up merging all to one thread. We are aware of the fact that is not a great solution, but it was the optimal one, given the context.

We did this because:

1) Warband-list discussions did start to take up a considerable amount of "space" (in terms of "number of threads") in the Section.

2) Warband list discussions are short lived. You post your list, people react to it, give you some inspiration (or not) and you make a new list. Do this a couple of times and you should have your personalised list rather quickly. Once this happens, everyone is happy and the thread becomes obsolete.

3) Because of 1) and 2) it is hard to keep these discussions organised (and why organise them, really?). So I figured that they can well be merged into one thread, that would then act a little like a "chat history". It is kind of a hop-on/hop-off idea: if you happen to browse past this thread and you feel like giving a comment that might be helpful, please do so! The person concerned will follow the thread as long as it is interesting for him/her anyway.

We did consider making an extra cathegory, but I have to admit, I was among those who somewhat vetoed that, because I think less is more, i.e. I want to have as few cathegories as possible.

Exarch Thomo
Knight
Knight
Exarch Thomo

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Warband Roster Sub Forum?   Warband Roster Sub Forum? Icon_minitimeThu 26 Feb 2009 - 23:59

Hi Cianty and Tom - thanks for taking the time to reply, and taking the time to explain it to me. I figured that a clean up was the reason, and fully support that. I completely understand how messy it can be, especially with the war band roster threads crowding the rules questions etc.
I just thought that creating a sub-forum would provide a platform for people to post their war bands in would help keep it clean and avoid clutter in the rules forum, I don't know whether it is worth it posting up suggested starting war bands for 2 reasons.
1) To me, using a list written completely by someone else is the height of laziness, and it lacks that personal touch that is put into creating your war band
2) As you said, Mordheimer covers this pretty well, and a little bit of research will quickly show you what successful builds are, etc.
The sub-forum system works well in pretty much every other forum I post on.
It's just my thoughts, as a mere poster I really have no idea of what goes into maintaining this site. And anyway, you've done a sterling job with this site, please don't think I am complaining because that is simply not the case (just wanted to make that clear).
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: Warband Roster Sub Forum?   Warband Roster Sub Forum? Icon_minitimeFri 27 Feb 2009 - 0:26

Exarch Thomo wrote:
please don't think I am complaining because that is simply not the case (just wanted to make that clear).

Rest assured that we didn't think that all! You are very welcome to express your thoughts!
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Warband Roster Sub Forum?   Warband Roster Sub Forum? Icon_minitimeTue 13 Sep 2011 - 21:19

Undead
Little threadomancy. Mainly because I think this is on topic.
I was thinking that maybe give the warband stuff it's own forum for talking.
There are those who want others opinions on there warbands (though I am new here and can not say how much feedback was given in the past) and to me for the unoffical warbands more then anything else a need for a place dedicated to said warbands developemnt to balance (IE talks of how to nerf Shadow Elves).
If I have missed the place to talk about this i'm sorry. I'm still new and still searching for it.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Warband Roster Sub Forum?   Warband Roster Sub Forum? Icon_minitimeTue 13 Sep 2011 - 21:37

Normally discussions on War Bands & the rules governing them are done in the the Rules & Gameplay Section...sometimes the discussion are quite lively Suspect . What a Face
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Warband Roster Sub Forum?   Warband Roster Sub Forum? Icon_minitimeWed 14 Sep 2011 - 21:52

ya i see, i'm getting in there now. I just think that each warband (at least the un offical) should get a section or all un offical as development on them can be a lot of work and a lot of information gets lost (or takes some time to find) in the back log
maybe just a rules sub forum dedicated to just unoffical and another for experamental warband development?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Warband Roster Sub Forum?   Warband Roster Sub Forum? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Warband Roster Sub Forum?
Page 1 of 1