Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Random's WIP (Scenery & board)

Go down 
+5
HornedRat
DeafNala
robertrunner
CygnusMaximus
Randomtask
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Randomtask
Youngblood
Youngblood
Randomtask

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: none

Random's WIP (Scenery & board) Empty
PostSubject: Random's WIP (Scenery & board)   Random's WIP (Scenery & board) Icon_minitimeWed 25 Feb 2009 - 20:03

Hi all.
I'm currently putting together a board/scenery for an upcoming Mordheim campaign (8 players)

The buildings are a mix of filler, plasticard, cardboard, gubbins and fluff. In that order. The first building now has more storeys, but I haven't got any more pictures yet. I'm also working on an open sewer (as in above ground channel), 'cause canals are for wimps. Razz

Random's WIP (Scenery & board) Th_IMGP0847 

This building has also gained a roof truss and some ribbing, although, for some reason I also haven't taken any more pictures!

Random's WIP (Scenery & board) Th_IMGP0850
Random's WIP (Scenery & board) Th_IMGP0851

The board is insulation foam with the paving slabs pressed into the board THROUGH THE SHEER AWESOMENESS OF LEGO!... Thats right, I cut the inner guts out of a bunch of different shaped lego pieces and then pushed them into the board over the course of about three hours. It is simply painted black and then lightly brushed grey (although I will probably do another slightly lighter shade, but I've only just cleaned the kitchen and I don't fancy doing it again anytime soon.) It gives a nice regular effect which I love! (Please excuse any bare foam, I have since covered up any holes!)
Random's WIP (Scenery & board) Th_IMGP0892

Last edited by Randomtask on Wed 25 Feb 2009 - 20:07; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Nothing wrong with this post. Nope.... Nothing wrong at all...)
Back to top Go down
CygnusMaximus
Warlord
Warlord
CygnusMaximus

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Random's WIP (Scenery & board)   Random's WIP (Scenery & board) Icon_minitimeThu 26 Feb 2009 - 3:12

Okay, I have to know how you made the paving stones with Lego - they look amazing!

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
Back to top Go down
robertrunner
Captain
Captain
robertrunner

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Random's WIP (Scenery & board)   Random's WIP (Scenery & board) Icon_minitimeThu 26 Feb 2009 - 6:23

I really like that board pattern. I'm guessing the three sections are for ease of storage how are they put together? Do they link or do you just place them side by side? I've been gathering various ideas for boards in hopes to eventually make one myself. Can't wait to see the buildings when they have some paint on em.
Back to top Go down
Randomtask
Youngblood
Youngblood
Randomtask

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Random's WIP (Scenery & board)   Random's WIP (Scenery & board) Icon_minitimeThu 26 Feb 2009 - 9:32

Quote :
Okay, I have to know how you made the paving stones with Lego - they look amazing!

The paving slabs were made pretty much as described, although it is probably more accurate to say 'imprinted' rather than pushed into. I'll post up a picture of my 'modified' pieces tonight, the only thing bad was that my thumb felt bruised for about three days afterwards. Lego is a harsh mistress. Sad

Quote :
I really like that board pattern. I'm guessing the three sections are for ease of storage how are they put together? Do they link or do you just place them side by side? I've been gathering various ideas for boards in hopes to eventually make one myself. Can't wait to see the buildings when they have some paint on em.

Yeah, the board is in three pieces for easy storage, its a standard 4x4' when all together. Connector wise I stole the dowling rod idea from this thread.

The buildings currently have a roughcoat on, and I'll post more pictures when I can figure iout what I've done with the camera.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Random's WIP (Scenery & board)   Random's WIP (Scenery & board) Icon_minitimeThu 26 Feb 2009 - 9:58

Randomtask wrote:
the only thing bad was that my thumb felt bruised for about three days afterwards. Lego is a harsh mistress. Sad

lol! Well put. It works the same when scribing with a pencil or somesuch thingy; a 4'X4' board leaves me with hand cramps where my fingers feel like they are trying to bend backward. It proves we must suffer for our art. Suspect

Ah, but your gaming surface looks like it was worth the pain. NICE PIECE OF WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
HornedRat
Elder
Elder
HornedRat

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Random's WIP (Scenery & board)   Random's WIP (Scenery & board) Icon_minitimeThu 26 Feb 2009 - 23:21

Yeah I too have the same problem when pushing foam. I keep thinking to myself I need to design a roller or something and give that a shot.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pbase.com/therat
CygnusMaximus
Warlord
Warlord
CygnusMaximus

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Random's WIP (Scenery & board)   Random's WIP (Scenery & board) Icon_minitimeFri 27 Feb 2009 - 2:15

I'd pay a pretty hefty sum for a roller that would imprint cobblestones on foam - though I think that's a fairly small niche market...
Back to top Go down
Randomtask
Youngblood
Youngblood
Randomtask

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Random's WIP (Scenery & board)   Random's WIP (Scenery & board) Icon_minitimeSat 28 Feb 2009 - 12:52

Hi guys.

I had a quick mock up to see roughly how many more buildings I needed ( a friend has the full Original Mordheim set which he has reinforced with plasticard and the like) and I took the chance to take some more pictures.

Random's WIP (Scenery & board) Th_IMGP0895

The Board in its entierty (currently anyway!)

Random's WIP (Scenery & board) Th_IMGP0896

The ruined tower now has some more floors.

Random's WIP (Scenery & board) Th_IMGP0897

And the broken roof truss of the smaller building has been added, I may add a bunch more 'tiles' to the floorboards.

Random's WIP (Scenery & board) Th_IMGP0902

A church, pretty recent this one, inspired by another church on this board, (I'm afraid I can't find the original thread.)

Random's WIP (Scenery & board) Th_IMGP0904

Areial view of the centre of the board, showing some old brought pieces and the open sewer. (Soon to get water best not to ask.) I will be building bridges to span the canal in places where it crosses the roads.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Random's WIP (Scenery & board)   Random's WIP (Scenery & board) Icon_minitimeSun 1 Mar 2009 - 13:24

LOOKIN' GOOD! The Gaming Table is coming along quite nicely. Keep up the GOOD WORK! thumbsup

Last edited by DeafNala on Wed 4 Mar 2009 - 17:41; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Identity
Elder
Elder
Identity

Trading Reputation : -2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Random's WIP (Scenery & board)   Random's WIP (Scenery & board) Icon_minitimeWed 4 Mar 2009 - 2:26

Any chance we can get those pics of your modded lego bricks? I'd be interested to see them. From your description it sounds like you just carved the bottoms of them to be more pointy, but I wasn't quite sure from your description if that's accurate.
Back to top Go down
Randomtask
Youngblood
Youngblood
Randomtask

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Random's WIP (Scenery & board)   Random's WIP (Scenery & board) Icon_minitimeWed 4 Mar 2009 - 17:37

Will do. I thought I'd lost them but they had simply been cleaned away by the other half.

I'd actually say I'd cut them to be less spikey. The internal gubbins were snipped out, and the knobbly bits on top were lopped off leaving a simple rectangluar (In most cases) stamp. Then I pushed them into the the foam board over and over again.

As a note for anyone who does try this, try not to push the lego in too far, as it is a pain in the bun to paint the bajillion tiny gaps you'll create!
Back to top Go down
Randomtask
Youngblood
Youngblood
Randomtask

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Random's WIP (Scenery & board)   Random's WIP (Scenery & board) Icon_minitimeThu 5 Mar 2009 - 9:53

Hi Guys. Sorry it took so long but below is a picture of some of the lego bricks I used to make the board.

Random's WIP (Scenery & board) Th_IMGP0922

My process was this, I cut out all the internal gubbins, which as Identity mentioned, makes the insides quite jagged, but what it did allow me to do was imprint the outer edge of the lego onto the board, without the internal round 'crop circle' pattern as well. (Although I did accidently do this once or twice, but it actually looks quite nice when taken into consideration over the whole board!)

I can do closeups of the board if anyone would like, although not until Monday, as I shall be Larping all this weekend.

Note: My Possessed magister is just included for scale.
Back to top Go down
Identity
Elder
Elder
Identity

Trading Reputation : -2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Random's WIP (Scenery & board)   Random's WIP (Scenery & board) Icon_minitimeThu 5 Mar 2009 - 10:30

It really looks fabulous across a whole board like that. Thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Random's WIP (Scenery & board)   Random's WIP (Scenery & board) Icon_minitimeThu 5 Mar 2009 - 10:42

EXCELLENT IDEA! I was thinking [I try to limit my thinking for the safety & wellbeing of those around moi Suspect ] of using an old Citadel Hex Base to make a Pit Fighter Arena. Tracing around the base proved to be less than satisfactory, but imprinting is working out fine.
I attached a wood dowel to the base & give it a solid tap with a mallet [whacking the dowel is rather a good release of pent up tension Suspect ]. Thanks, Amigo! thumbsup

Have FUN smacking folks with your rubber sword.
Back to top Go down
DarkWingDuck
Youngblood
Youngblood
DarkWingDuck

PostSubject: Re: Random's WIP (Scenery & board)   Random's WIP (Scenery & board) Icon_minitimeThu 5 Mar 2009 - 19:43

I really like the lego idea! It's great for square cobblestones.

I've been trying to do something similar (with mixed results). In particular, I've been trying to make a cobblestone stamp I could use to press into blue/pink board. Tracing out a whole game board by hand sounds too labor intensive for me.

Last edited by DarkWingDuck on Thu 19 Mar 2009 - 18:35; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Random's WIP (Scenery & board)   Random's WIP (Scenery & board) Icon_minitimeTue 17 Mar 2009 - 5:28

Random, thanks for posting the lego bricks, i thought you turned flat plates on the side at first. Try making a padded handle!

(ps i also found the fun of whacking people with foam swords, although we skip the whole roleplaying part and just whaile on each other till we're blue in the face!)

Darkwing (nice name) I have considered something similar you your method and yes i agree the sculpted master would seem to work mochbetter than foam. The main thing that holds me back is how o make it not look loike a repeating patern and how to match the edges up seamlessly. Any ideas? Looking at the Hirst arts cobblestone tiles looke pretty convincing, maybe you should steal there design.

(pps, not trying to hijack the thread!)
Back to top Go down
DarkWingDuck
Youngblood
Youngblood
DarkWingDuck

PostSubject: Re: Random's WIP (Scenery & board)   Random's WIP (Scenery & board) Icon_minitimeTue 17 Mar 2009 - 18:43

DeafNala's right. Random, I apologize about the thread hijacking. I should know better. I saw similarities between what you did and what I was trying to do and started rambling.

I moved this over to it's own thread.
https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/tutorials-f18/tutorial-making-a-cobblestone-stamp-t1684.htm#24440

Last edited by DarkWingDuck on Thu 19 Mar 2009 - 18:33; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
robertrunner
Captain
Captain
robertrunner

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Random's WIP (Scenery & board)   Random's WIP (Scenery & board) Icon_minitimeTue 17 Mar 2009 - 18:57

Darkwing: Any chance we can get some pictures of these sculpted stamps and results at some point?
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Random's WIP (Scenery & board)   Random's WIP (Scenery & board) Icon_minitimeTue 17 Mar 2009 - 19:46

@DarkWingDuck: Unless you PM'd Randomtask prior to entering two useful but very lengthy posts to ask his approval, you are, in effect, HIGH JACKING the Thread. The Thread was opened by Randomtask to share HIS experience in creating a Mordheim Gaming Board. A Tutorial on how YOU came up with a new technique might have been better entered as a new topic with perhaps a link to it here.

I don't believe you did this as an intentional thing. I'm merely pointing this out to you as an inadvertant breach of Forum etiquette. Deaf Nala Smiley

ADDENDUM: THANK YOU for your cooperation & understanding DarkWingDuck. You ARE a FINE FELLOW & a VALUED FORUMITE.
I HIGHLY recommend DDW's HIGHLY useful Tutorial. thumbsup

Last edited by DeafNala on Thu 19 Mar 2009 - 18:46; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Duce
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
Duce

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Random's WIP (Scenery & board)   Random's WIP (Scenery & board) Icon_minitimeWed 18 Mar 2009 - 9:57

when the Nala speaks heed his call for if you do not he'll trip you and you'll fall.

Rhyming advice. god i'm a poet.

PostSubject: Re: Random's WIP (Scenery & board)   Random's WIP (Scenery & board) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Random's WIP (Scenery & board)
Page 1 of 1