Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere

Go down 
+4
DeafNala
Tagnator
robh
Wishing
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Wishing
Captain
Captain
Wishing

Trading Reputation : 0

Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere Empty
PostSubject: Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere   Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere Icon_minitimeTue 16 Jun 2020 - 13:07

Forgive the terribleness of the thread title! But I already made threads for my Mordheim stuff and Lustria stuff, what I need is a log for the stuff I make for other settings. I think that these will be way more sparse, so I don't want a separate thread for each setting, but would rather group them together.

To me, Mordheim and Lustria are the two big, iconic "treasure hunting" settings for lack of a better terms, but there are a few others I am interested in too. Currently the ones that appeal to me are:

- Khemri, Land of the Dead
- Empire in Flames
- Mysterious Cathay, from the Border Town Burning campaign

There are other fan-made settings of course, like Karak Azgal and Athel Loren, but currently I got no plans to expand into there. I do have one warband planned that isn't part of any of these... the Fimir, which belong to Marienburg. But I think I might be a little flexible there and consider them part of Empire in Flames. Marienburg is in the Empire after all. Smile

Call me overly fixated on order, but my issue is that a warband such as the Black Dwarfs - which were the first ones I made - isn't a Mordheim warband in my eyes. I don't see them running around the fish-strewn city streets. Having now read the Border Town Burning supplement, they are clearly a Cathayan warband. Not in the sense that they are Chinese (I mean Cathayan) culturally, but that the steppes of the border towns is where they would do their slave hunting, that is their home so to speak.

So some warbands I am working on just now that belong here are Black Dwarfs, Carnival of Chaos, Nekhara Tomb Guardians, and Ogre Maneaters. And also Orcs. Yes, technically orcs were totally written for use in Mordheim. But I don't like that, to me they don't fit in the Mordheim gothic atmosphere at all. Orcs are much more of an Empire in Flames or Cathay type of warband to me, like Beastmen.

So to begin, some shots of my Black Dwarf Slavers, out to take prisoners in the borderlands and stuff them into their tiny prison wagon, like clowns in a clown car.

Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere Q0VSvIP
Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere 7gwx4WT
Back to top Go down
robh
Knight
Knight
robh

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere   Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere Icon_minitimeTue 16 Jun 2020 - 13:15

I really like that little cart, works very well.
Back to top Go down
Tagnator
Etheral
Etheral
Tagnator

Trading Reputation : 6

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere   Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere Icon_minitimeTue 16 Jun 2020 - 13:17

Some great looking Chaos Dwarves! Shocked I really like them Smile !
Back to top Go down
Wishing
Captain
Captain
Wishing

PostSubject: Re: Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere   Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere Icon_minitimeTue 16 Jun 2020 - 13:25

Thanks! I am really happy with the sorcerer myself and his necromunda helmet.
Back to top Go down
Tagnator
Etheral
Etheral
Tagnator

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere   Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere Icon_minitimeTue 16 Jun 2020 - 13:34

Ah yes! I do recognize it now, it's an excellent use of it Smile Awesome man!
Back to top Go down
Wishing
Captain
Captain
Wishing

PostSubject: Re: Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere   Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere Icon_minitimeTue 16 Jun 2020 - 16:15

Thank you! The project I am most excited about at this exact point in time though is the ogres. I love that they have small ogre youngbloods, to make them playable at all. Because how to make a smaller ogre?

My creativity is especially fuelled by having an aversion to buying miniatures unless I really want them. I have a random box of miniature parts in my living room at the moment that has been collected over the last 30 years or so, and a lot of the time, I can find all the stuff I need in there or in modern sprue remnants. So I only go out hunting for new models if it is something very special - I would really love to get some dragon warriors from Titan Forge as Cathayans, for example.

But the ogres - I have loads of spare ogre heads, and a couple of old plastic goliath gangers lying around, so this is my first draft of an ogre youngblood, in the middle. Size comparison with a full grown ogre pit fighter to our left, and a common human to our right.

Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere D0SVjan
Back to top Go down
Tagnator
Etheral
Etheral
Tagnator

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere   Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere Icon_minitimeWed 17 Jun 2020 - 9:33

That is a very clever conversion Wishing! The youngling ogre is going to look really cool this way Smile I think it are conversions like these that make Mordheim such a great game, as they add alot of character to the warband and overall setting! I mean it would have been easier to just use a normal Ogre and say he's the youngling, but this is way more immersive Smile
Back to top Go down
Wishing
Captain
Captain
Wishing

PostSubject: Re: Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere   Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere Icon_minitimeWed 17 Jun 2020 - 9:45

Thank you! It's all about models and conversions for me, that's where my interest and motivation comes from. If there isn't a feeling of either "these models will look amazing" or "this conversion will be so cool" in it, then it's not something I'm likely to be interested in.

And I also care deeply about appropriate representation. A normal ogre has the "large target" rule. An ogre youngblood doesn't have this rule. Therefore, the youngblood is clearly smaller. Cannot be argued. Just using a normal sized ogre as a youngblood would be the same as using a greater daemon to represent a lesser daemon. Wrong base size, wrong overall size. Obviously it's fine to do if what matters to you is just having a model... but for me, I want to "get it right" for it to be of interest. Wink
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere   Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere Icon_minitimeWed 17 Jun 2020 - 14:06

Conversions are a fine way to get some unique pieces. You do have a real flair for it.
I am looking forward to seeing your imaginative creations. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Wishing
Captain
Captain
Wishing

PostSubject: Re: Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere   Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere Icon_minitimeWed 17 Jun 2020 - 14:12

So far everything in this thread is conversions for sure, and will probably remain the case for a while!

Newest conversion under this headline is an informant for the black dwarfs. Is he a hobgoblin? Maybe, he is definitely shady. Mantic head on a frostgrave soldier body.

Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere C8qO2sx
Back to top Go down
Wishing
Captain
Captain
Wishing

PostSubject: Re: Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere   Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere Icon_minitimeWed 17 Jun 2020 - 16:38

Also working on the ogre chief.

Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere JfZ3hFO
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere   Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere Icon_minitimeWed 17 Jun 2020 - 18:53

You have some SPLENDIDconversions going. Looking at them has me thinking that I really need to do some more Pumpkin Heads.
Back to top Go down
Tagnator
Etheral
Etheral
Tagnator

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere   Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2020 - 11:23

Both the chaos dwarves and ogre look very cool Wishing Smile Unique take on them which fits them very well! Smile
Back to top Go down
Rhydderch
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Rhydderch

PostSubject: Re: Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere   Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2020 - 16:54

Uggh, another beautiful batch of conversions! The Ogre Youngblood is shaping up to be an especially impressive creation, with something halfway scratch built bridging the scale gap...
Back to top Go down
Wishing
Captain
Captain
Wishing

PostSubject: Re: Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere   Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere Icon_minitimeMon 22 Jun 2020 - 14:51

Thank you! I am quite happy with the ogre youngblood too, the odd misshapen nature of his big head and stunted body feels somehow appropriate for a savage and dark race. I look forward to finishing him and more of his companions.

Mapping out the warband, it seems like you can start with five ogres exactly, which is all the heroes and no henchmen... so one chief, one hunter, and three youngbloods. Would love to make a rhinox beast for them too though...

To round off the Cathayan warbands, I am currently planning on getting some of the dragon empire models I mentioned earlier. They are a kind of mix of japanese and chinese style of soldiers, and I hope they will look very cool.
Back to top Go down
Wishing
Captain
Captain
Wishing

PostSubject: Re: Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere   Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere Icon_minitimeTue 23 Jun 2020 - 23:33

Two first ogres all done!

Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere 7d6IRtj
Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere WJmBpOy

And before painting they looked like this.

Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere WAmZ9o9

DeafNala likes this post

Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere   Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere Icon_minitimeTue 23 Jun 2020 - 23:51

OUTSTANDING! The Ogres are impressively brutish looking Fellows. VERY WELL DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Tagnator
Etheral
Etheral
Tagnator

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere   Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere Icon_minitimeWed 24 Jun 2020 - 16:16

oh yes! These look amazing Smile Great to see them finished!
Back to top Go down
Leavhon
Hero
Hero
Leavhon

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere   Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere Icon_minitimeSun 28 Jun 2020 - 21:43

As I said before, I really love your 'natural colors' scheme. The daemon engine is great and the new ogres are simply amazing.
Back to top Go down
Wishing
Captain
Captain
Wishing

PostSubject: Re: Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere   Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere Icon_minitimeMon 29 Jun 2020 - 9:15

Thank you! More ogres are on the way, working on another youth and a hunter just now. Also trying to figure out my first border town terrain.
Back to top Go down
Wishing
Captain
Captain
Wishing

PostSubject: Re: Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere   Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere Icon_minitimeMon 29 Jun 2020 - 22:59

The youth and hunter I mentioned above are at a suitable WIP photo stage just now. Also I ordered a piece of Japanese scenery from Sarissa Precision, which I hope will work for a border town table.

Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere DQlQjQr
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere   Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere Icon_minitimeTue 30 Jun 2020 - 0:45

The kit bashes are SPLENDID. GREAT WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Tagnator
Etheral
Etheral
Tagnator

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere   Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere Icon_minitimeTue 30 Jun 2020 - 19:59

again some great looking conversions Smile
Back to top Go down
Rhydderch
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Rhydderch

PostSubject: Re: Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere   Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere Icon_minitimeThu 2 Jul 2020 - 15:29

The finished articles look damned good -- & I think those WIPs aren't going to let us down. Great stuff!
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth
Ancient
Ancient
Gatlag Stonetooth

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere   Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere Icon_minitimeMon 6 Jul 2020 - 12:50

Great thread! I love conversions!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere   Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wishing's Adventures Elsewhere
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next