Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Which list to use for a all-goblin warband?

Go down 
+2
Leavhon
brocel
6 posters
AuthorMessage
brocel

brocel

Trading Reputation : 0

Warband - Which list to use for a all-goblin warband? Empty
PostSubject: Which list to use for a all-goblin warband?   Warband - Which list to use for a all-goblin warband? Icon_minitimeMon 25 Nov 2019 - 13:08

Hey everyone,

I'm gathering goblins to run a goblin warband, and I'm not sure which list to use. There are quite a few on broheim... I heard pathfinder's night goblin list was pretty decent, if a bit underwhelming. Anyone has any recommandations or things I should avoid for one of these lists? http://broheim.net/warbands.html

I'm just starting the game with my brother and hopefully a few friends, and I'd like my models to be as WYSIWYG as possible so I'm afraid I'm gonna need some help to find my way through those lists...

Thank you

Edit: I realize my supply was pretty scarce. Why I'm calling for your help is to choose wisely a goblin list, meaning a balanced list : which lists are the most balanced and which I should avoid. Also, for those of you who played them, your experiences with them, how fun was(is) it,...

Thank you again huhu
Back to top Go down
Leavhon
Hero
Hero
Leavhon

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Which list to use for a all-goblin warband?   Warband - Which list to use for a all-goblin warband? Icon_minitimeTue 26 Nov 2019 - 18:17

Mmmh ... hard question, my friend.

IMHO, the greatest strenght of all goblin warbands (and most skaven's too) is the sheer number of models they can field, but this is not enough: heroes are essential to win, due to their higher profile and sometimes exclusive equipments, uncommon troops (yes, squigs!) can be a shock to some enemies, and trolls are one of the most resilient, althought non always reliable, models in the game.

Generally speaking, I politely suggest you to pick one of the Night Goblins warbands and take at least 13 models, filling all hero slots, at least 3 squigs and 5-10 ranged weapon, divided among heroes and troops. This will give you a nice rout step of 4 models, a decent shooting phase and a good number of bodies to throw in the fight.
Back to top Go down
Rhydderch
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Rhydderch

PostSubject: Re: Which list to use for a all-goblin warband?   Warband - Which list to use for a all-goblin warband? Icon_minitimeThu 5 Dec 2019 - 12:00

I've really enjoyed playing the Night Goblin warband from the Karak Azgal -- included on Broheim as 'Night Goblins (old)' KAZ. They should also work for regular goblins. They were a lot of fun to play, fairly rubbish fighters on their own, but able to win games by swarming. As I remember, I had about a 50% win rate with them, so it should be quite a balanced list.

The only change I would suggest is to the Ball and Chain weapon rules, if you use them. According to those, if the user runs into any scenery they're automatically OOA, which makes it pretty much useless in Mordheim settings. We changed that so if they run straight into scenery they're OOA, but if they hit at an angle they bounce off like a pinball. It makes them more fun to deploy, without rendering them, y'know... useful.
Back to top Go down
brocel

brocel

PostSubject: Re: Which list to use for a all-goblin warband?   Warband - Which list to use for a all-goblin warband? Icon_minitimeThu 19 Dec 2019 - 18:26

Thank you for your input and advices!
Sounds like a fun band, I can't wait to swarm my brother's vampire with those poor nobz.
I'm going to try both the night goblin band and the forest goblin (tailored as sewer goblins) and see how it goes.
However, I'm not that attracted to fanatics and squig when I think about it, do you think it's worth playing the night goblin without playing those?
Back to top Go down
Rhydderch
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Rhydderch

PostSubject: Re: Which list to use for a all-goblin warband?   Warband - Which list to use for a all-goblin warband? Icon_minitimeFri 20 Dec 2019 - 17:25

Without the squigs & Fanatics, the Night Goblins are still a solid all-Gobbo list, with the option for Snotlings & a Troll, so I'd say they're still worth playing. But if you think up a cooler or more interesting way to use the Forest Goblin list (Sewer Goblins sound pretty cool & very Mordheim, so I genuinely quite want to see that...) go for it!
& as I understand, the Forest Goblin list is tried & tested, so I have confidence in it being a good list without having played it myself.
Back to top Go down
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Norse (Unofficial) Norse (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Which list to use for a all-goblin warband?   Warband - Which list to use for a all-goblin warband? Icon_minitimeSat 21 Dec 2019 - 1:23

Forest Goblins warband, all the way. Everything else can be extrapolated from other articles.

Squigs count as animals, so any goblin heroes can go shopping from them in the post-battle phase. Taming and riding them is covered under the animal handling rules. Same goes for spiders and any other beasts that may enter your warband's menagerie in a campaign if the bestiary alignment permits it.

I have some unpublished/incomplete campaign material that concerns winning favour with trolls. This
extra material formed a system I came up with that we were playtesting in Marienburg, making more interesting post-battle sequence activity available, to greenskins, fimir, beastmen and skaven...

...There seems to be some reinterpreted version of this material in circulation now, as a consequence of a Marienburg "repack" project carried out by other forum users in my absence. It's not exactly what I had in mind. Although it's flattering that time was spent editing the content together, my main concern is that not all of that expanded material has been adequately playtested.
Back to top Go down
https://libermalefic.blogspot.com/
brocel

brocel

PostSubject: Re: Which list to use for a all-goblin warband?   Warband - Which list to use for a all-goblin warband? Icon_minitimeSun 22 Dec 2019 - 20:04

I'm gonna try to find some cool tweaks with sewer oriented rules, don't hesitate to share if you have ideas.
As a starter, I think about adding them the "infiltrate" special skill that skavens can get. Sometimes I even think about adapting the skaven list...

By the way werekin, why do you suggest so vehemently forest goblins? And what do you mean by
Quote :
Everything else can be extrapolated from other articles.

Interesting idea for post battle-phase, I'll try to find that alternate version, could give some ideas.
Back to top Go down
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Which list to use for a all-goblin warband?   Warband - Which list to use for a all-goblin warband? Icon_minitimeTue 24 Dec 2019 - 15:08

Sewer gaming is covered off nicely in Horrors of the Underground scenario from BTB and Burrow Town Collapsing scenario from MiM. As I recall goblins are more efficient than most in a shoot out since they're one of the races that cope well under darkness.

brocel wrote:
By the way werekin, why do you suggest so vehemently forest goblins?
It's a dedicated goblin led warband list. It features a bunch of handy starting heroes. It was playtested internationally by the Nemesis Crown development team for Mordheim's final official campaign release.

We used it in our campaigns for goblin swamp pirates out of the Cursed Marsh.

werekin wrote:
Everything else can be extrapolated from other articles.
Articles like those included in Empire In Flames and Mordheim Annual set a precedent of expanding the range of equipment, skills and animal in your campaigns. Further articles published with Border Town Burning and Mutiny in Marienburg brought warband achievements and objectives to expand the scope of warband's purpose in campaign play. Further expanding equipment options, skills, bestiarys, random happenings, exploration, post battle sequence visits* and advanced rules govern guidelines for mutations, vehicles, hired swords and more.

*Infamous Haunts/Marketplace/Undertown/Daemon Swamp

Quote :

Daemon Swamp
Townsfolk spend their coin at market while other creatures are abroad in the Daemon Swamp. After a long day haggling over exotic wares in the Craftsmarket, most Marienburgers will retire to the customary comfort of a waterside tavern to conclude business by exchanging rumours about foul monsters threatening trade routes. Tales of dashing Marsh-watchmen battling mutants of Chaos or thwarting swamp-goblin raids are recounted. News spreads quickly after reaching the ears of gossiping fishwives!

Instead of searching for a rare item during the post battle sequence, one or more of the Heroes in a Beastman, Fimir or Goblin warband may spend it pursuing sinister schemes in the bogs. Roll 2D6 on the Bog Chart to find out what happens. Apply a +1 modifier to the roll for each Hero beyond the first sent to comb the boggy mire.

2 Gas Vent. The party has found a temporary supply source for tapping the substance known as Bog Fire. A small sealed glass vial containing the eldritch vapour is capable when reacting with air to produce a volatile explosive gas which can cause an entire building to go up in flames!

6 Leeches. Each Hero receives a Strength 2 hit from leeches. No armour saves are allowed. Any Hero suffering a Wound receives a -1 Toughness modifier in the next battle.

7 Weeds. Each Hero must pass an Initiative test ferreting in the quagmire or receives a Strength 1 hit from insects. Undead and daemons are immune to insects. If a Hero passes the initiative test, then roll on the Herbs & Potions Chart (see Herbalist in the Marketplace). The herb is found in multiples equal to how many Heroes have passed the test.

8 Snotling Set. The party stumbles into a snotling set. Snotling dung is so potent that once it has been collected from a snotling set it can be used as a disguise from foes and a deterrent from greenskins and larger predators alike! Manure stench is an unpleasant and highly effective way to mask a warrior's scent. A bag of Snotling Dung can be emptied onto a Hero before the battle. Once smothered in dung the Hero becomes desensitized to the stink. Any model must pass a Leadership test in order to charge the warrior. Any model in close combat with the affected model suffers -1 to hit. Undead and daemon models are immune to its stench.

12 Profaned Shrine. The Heroes attend a crumbling temple to the gods of Chaos where tombs were erected to honour powerful Chaos Warriors and Champions. These places are foul and wicked. Surrounding them are trophies left by those who would honour the fallen. Roll a D6 for each entry to determine what was entombed within the shrine.

D3 helmets Auto find
D3 axes 2+
Banner 3+
D3 swords        4+
Chaos Armour 5+
Daemon Weapon 6+

15 Troll Lair. Cautiously approaching a sump the party encounters a friendly River Troll wallowing in the muddy pool. Trolls are always hungry. The troll can be baited out from its sticky pit using meat (a sack of rancid beastman meat will suffice!) to join the warband. The troll joins the warband if the player sacrifices enough meat to lure it out. D3 models will be required as bait. Hostages can be used, models from the warband can be sacrificed or a mixture of both.

If a goblin warband arrives at the hollow they encounter a River Troll (same as a Troll except River Trolls are aquatic). If followers of Chaos visit the hollow they encounter a Chaos Troll (same as a Troll, except that if the creature regenerates more than twice in a battle then roll on the Random Mutation Chart in the post battle sequence).

"One of the Little Big 'Uns in me clan had been a trollboss once. Told me about it, didn't he? It's all about the food, you see."
— Skarsnik, Goblin King
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Which list to use for a all-goblin warband?   Warband - Which list to use for a all-goblin warband? Icon_minitimeTue 24 Dec 2019 - 20:32

We use Pathfinder Dubstyles Night Goblin list from this forum.  The most recent version can be found on this forum and on Broheim.

If you want Night Goblins and 'international testing', (from this forum's members) its got 'em.

https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t1415-night-goblins-new-warband-fixed-broken-link
Back to top Go down
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Which list to use for a all-goblin warband?   Warband - Which list to use for a all-goblin warband? Icon_minitimeTue 24 Dec 2019 - 21:40

I prefer the more traditional goblins list. Spiders, bosses, hallucinogens. I still remember the golden age of collecting and painting greenskins, from before when goblin fanatic miniatures wore the stupid conical hats.

I'm sure if I worked on those warband lists now that I'd try to do things differently. At the time of those commissions I was effectively working as an intern, toiling under campaign gurus like Mark Havener and Ian Davies who had a decade of skirmish experience under their belts. I was young, enthusiastic about doing the research and my head was filled with lore. That was the only reason the old guard let me get involved. Shocked
Back to top Go down
owenmatthew
Youngblood
Youngblood
owenmatthew

PostSubject: Re: Which list to use for a all-goblin warband?   Warband - Which list to use for a all-goblin warband? Icon_minitimeSun 26 Jan 2020 - 15:46

I know I’m late to the party here, but, Forest Goblins aol the way. It’s a really nice list with a lot of useful options, it will keep you engaged with plenty of variety, and it’s honestly just stronger than the other lists in question, imho, which will keep you in the game/campaign longer.

What did you choose?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which list to use for a all-goblin warband?   Warband - Which list to use for a all-goblin warband? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which list to use for a all-goblin warband?
Page 1 of 1