Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business

Go down 
+5
Von Kurst
theomar pius
floedebolle
DeafNala
Slannman
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Slannman
Hero
Hero
Slannman

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: none

My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business Empty
PostSubject: My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business   My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business Icon_minitimeFri 15 Aug 2014 - 19:28

Hello  Very Happy 

In this topic I would love to present the various ruins and buildings I started doing for our Mordheim games. Only one is done and painted by now but I hope this 'blog' will help me to finalize more and more of my ongoing projects Wink

I will start this topic with two of my buildings and will post the other buildings and updates in the following days and weeks.

Ruined Watchtower
This tower began its life as an accessible tower for Warhammer Fantasy (well, the unit had to be placed on top but anyways!). When I started building stuff for Mordheim I added the wooden walkways and gave the tower a more destroyed and decayed look by cutting the holes into the parapet and the walls itself.
As it's one of my very first buildings I would have done some things differently now but this tower is nontheless one of my favorite pieces and had some impact on the battlefield already thumbsup 

My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business 20140810

My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business 20140811

My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business 20140813

Townhouse
This is my current project and still in an very early stage. There will be a ruined second floor with the last remnants of the former roof on the side that is facing the streets. The flooring is modular and can be taken out for moving minis around.
I'm pretty happy how it turned out so far and hope to get to the decorational/finetuning part in the next days.  

My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business 20140815

My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business 20140816

My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business 20140817

My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business 20140818

My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business 20140819

My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business 20140820

All kinds of comments are always appreciated!

Cheers!
Jonas

Last edited by Slannman on Sat 16 Aug 2014 - 1:32; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : update)
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business   My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business Icon_minitimeFri 15 Aug 2014 - 19:41

That is a FINE start to you gaming board. I like the breached spots with the grass...very nice touch, & the brushwork is SPLENDID. The Town House is a BEAUTIFULLY detailed piece. The balconies are WONDERFUL additions. GREAT WORK!   thumbsup 
Posting your pieces as a blog is a fine way to get advice & receive motivating comments. A kind word or two can do wonders in maintaining your enthusiasm.   What a Face

Last edited by DeafNala on Fri 15 Aug 2014 - 20:33; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business   My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business Icon_minitimeFri 15 Aug 2014 - 20:14

WOW , thats a siper nice approach on getting some damn fine scenery pieces, great start!
MORE! bounce

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
theomar pius
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
theomar pius

PostSubject: Re: My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business   My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business Icon_minitimeFri 15 Aug 2014 - 23:31

That is looking good. I really like the cobblestones and woodwork.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business   My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business Icon_minitimeSat 16 Aug 2014 - 13:07

These pieces are a good start.  thumbsup 
Back to top Go down
Slannman
Hero
Hero
Slannman

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business   My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business Icon_minitimeSat 16 Aug 2014 - 20:14

Thank you guys for your comments, that's really the extra motivation I need Very Happy!

Townhouse
Today there is a small update on the Townhouse, well, in fact it's a probably basic lesson I learned the hard way: NEVER go on with the next floor if you're not done with the one below!
I had already done the walls in the second floor when I just realized that the flooring in the ground floor still needed to be done. Getting all those tiny cardboard pieces down the 'chamber' of three floors and in the proper positions teached me to never make this mistake again. Can't wait for the paintjob down there Razz 

This is how the flooring in the ground floor looks like as well as a small peak on the walls in the top floor. The second floor is mostly done by now, just need to do the last third of the flooring. The roof (or what's left of it) is on its way and made me realize how huge and especially tall this building will be once everything is in place. I will upload new pics of this one when I'm done with the roof and it's time for decoration and details (for which I most likely need any cool suggestions that come to your mind thumbsup).

My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business 20140821

Small Ruined House
Next I want to show you the building I did previously to the Townhouse. I'm really satisfied how my first try on a destroyed roof and the demolition in general came along Very Happy 
There's only a bit of polishing (if you can say so when talking about a brittle ruin) and adding details to be done before it's ready for the paint.

My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business 20140822

My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business 20140823

My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business 20140824

Thank you again for your comments guys! I will definitly join the discussions on all the amazing projects here soon.

Cheers!
Jonas

Last edited by Slannman on Sat 16 Aug 2014 - 20:24; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business   My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business Icon_minitimeSat 16 Aug 2014 - 20:26

It's a Wise Man who can learn from his own mistakes...making sure you can reach the inside corners with a brush is another thing to check. All that aside, the Town House is LOOKIN' GOOD! Keep up the GREAT WORK!   thumbsup
Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business   My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business Icon_minitimeSat 16 Aug 2014 - 23:09

Oh, wonderful advance on the house, super ruin, if you paint it it will be Superbe! Love it sir! thumbsup 

Back to top Go down
Slannman
Hero
Hero
Slannman

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business   My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business Icon_minitimeMon 18 Aug 2014 - 0:14

Here we go, the roof is done Very Happy

Townhouse
I'm pretty much satisfied how the roof-building went. The big empty front area definitly needs some details but apart from that it should be alright. Never expected this to become that tall Surprised
Next up is the final brushwork (only need to do a bit of drybrushing) on another ruin I didn't show here yet and once that's done and posted here I will come back to the Townhouse for details as well as the paintjob. Or I might as well paint the Small Ruined House first, let's see thumbsup

My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business 20140825My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business 20140828
My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business 20140829

Thanks again for your comments!

Cheers,
Jonas
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business   My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business Icon_minitimeMon 18 Aug 2014 - 0:41

That looks OUTSTANDING. The rafters on the roof is one of those niceties that rarely gets done...especially by moi. GREAT WORK!   thumbsup
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business   My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business Icon_minitimeMon 18 Aug 2014 - 1:27

Those buildings are coming along very nicely, Slannman. I really look forward to seeing them painted.

A humble suggestion for future buildings - something less narrow that the current bunch, maybe with interior rooms. Fighting inside a building, room to room, can be fun. Well, for us, not so much our warband members, but I tell them its character building.
Back to top Go down
Slannman
Hero
Hero
Slannman

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business   My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business Icon_minitimeTue 19 Aug 2014 - 15:20

@ DeafNala: Thanks! Yeah in this building the rafters are essential for the roof's stability as well, can't imagine anything as effective as those ones. Cardboard would be pretty risky I guess without any supporting structures Surprised

@mweaver: Thank you as well! I will definitly do broader buildings in the future and the idea with interior rooms sounds great as well! I'm not quite sure how to do upper floors then though as I don't like using a big piece of balsa wood as the flooring for a whole floor. Maybe I could just do destroyed upper floors on either sides of the building but not in the very centre? Future will tell thumbsup

Ruined House
I finished the painting on the first house I ever did for Mordheim. As with the Watchtower I'm not totally happy with the construction itself (gaps between the modular upper floors, placing of the inner wallpapers, no window framing, clean edge on the backside floor, ...) but I am quite pleased with the painting Very Happy
So, here you go.

My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business Collag10

My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business Collag11

Next up is details and painting on either the Small Ruined House or the Townhouse, don't know yet.

Cheers,
Jonas
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business   My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business Icon_minitimeTue 19 Aug 2014 - 15:34

It looks TERRIFIC...BEAUTIFULLY painted & detailed. The few faults you mentioned would be easy enough to fix should you have the inclination...terrain pieces tend to be eternal works in progress. VERY WELL DONE!   thumbsup
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business   My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business Icon_minitimeTue 19 Aug 2014 - 20:06

Lookin' good!
Back to top Go down
Slannman
Hero
Hero
Slannman

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business   My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business Icon_minitimeFri 22 Aug 2014 - 19:55

Thank you guys!

That's so true DeafNala but my motivation for fixing these issues isn't that existent I must admit Very Happy
But maybe one day...

Right now I'm quite busy with my job but when I find the time I'm slowly painting the Small Ruined House.

Cheers!
Jonas
Back to top Go down
Slannman
Hero
Hero
Slannman

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business   My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business Icon_minitimeMon 1 Sep 2014 - 14:11

Hey everybody!

Unfortunately I am not done with the paint of the Small Ruined House yet but to keep this blog running here are a few shots from our last gaming session we had a couple of days ago. You can spot a few buildings that I haven't presented until now but they will make their appearence here once I finished some stuff. Sorry for the poor quality!

Cheers!
Jonas

Edit: For some reason the image uploading doesn't seem to work properly, hope to fix it soon!

Edit 2: The gaming session pics sadly won't work. Instead I just did a snapshot of the current painting process Very Happy It's all just first layers, no washing, no drybrushing yet done. The walls itself haven't seen any paint until now but I aim for a dirty white so it may now look pretty much like the finished walls Wink

My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business 20140910
Back to top Go down
mikeyc222
Veteran
Veteran
mikeyc222

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers

PostSubject: Re: My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business   My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business Icon_minitimeWed 10 Sep 2014 - 18:50

very nice start. i wish my first buildings looked anywhere near that nice. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://mikeyc222.wordpress.com/
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business   My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business Icon_minitimeWed 10 Sep 2014 - 19:07

LOOKIN' GOOD! The cross beams are a particularly nice touch. GREAT WORK!   thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Slannman
Hero
Hero
Slannman

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business   My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business Icon_minitimeSun 22 Feb 2015 - 18:32

Finally!

University and work kept me so busy over the fall and winter but eventually every term comes to an end and every exam is done one day cheers

The Small Ruined House still pretty much looks the same it did about half a year ago. But today I spent a good Sunday afternoon finalizing another building I started building pretty early in my Mordheim scenery 'career': the tavern 'The Red Bird'

My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business 20150212

My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business 20150213

Just two very quick and dirty shots to keep you updated! I hope to finish the paint on the Small Ruined House in the next week or so before painting the tavern.

Glad to be back guys!

Cheers,
Jonas
Back to top Go down
proslogion
Youngblood
Youngblood
proslogion

PostSubject: Re: My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business   My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business Icon_minitimeSun 22 Feb 2015 - 18:51

Very cool! How thick is the foam you are using for the bases? Love the aesthetic.
Back to top Go down
Slannman
Hero
Hero
Slannman

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business   My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business Icon_minitimeWed 25 Feb 2015 - 15:07

Thank you Very Happy

The very bottom base I used on every building so far is 0,6 cm thick and the foam I used for the foundation of the tavern is 2cm thick.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business   My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business Icon_minitimeWed 25 Feb 2015 - 15:15

WELCOME BACK from the Cruel Clutches of Reality! The Tavern looks OUTSTANDING. The interior is particularly well done. Keep up the GREAT WORK...now that you've been released!   thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business   My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business Icon_minitimeSat 28 Feb 2015 - 4:20

Good to see an update. The tavern looks very promising.
Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business   My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business Icon_minitimeSat 28 Feb 2015 - 20:54

Top job!

Back to top Go down
darkmaterials
Champion
Champion
darkmaterials

PostSubject: Re: My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business   My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business Icon_minitimeSat 21 Mar 2015 - 10:40

Awesome work, love your red and stone colour scheme. Very earthy and suggestive of corruption. Will definitely be taking some inspiration from your work
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business   My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My first steps in the Mordheim-Ruins-Crafting-Business
Page 1 of 1