Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

No business like snow business

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
wobbly_goggy
Champion
Champion
wobbly_goggy

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead
Achievements earned: none

No business like snow business Empty
PostSubject: No business like snow business   No business like snow business Icon_minitimeWed 25 Aug 2010 - 23:40

Hi guys, I am here after a lengthy absence to ask:
'What's the best way to model snow on minis/what's the best snow flock/scatter to use?'

Today I purchased snow flock by Army Painter, and have just experimented with sticking some down, so when it's dry later/tomorrow, I may post up some pics to see what you think. But in the mean time...any ideas?
Is what I have bought any good? Could it be combined with any other types? etc.
I bought that particular one because:
a) It was cheap,
b) it looks like tiny snowballs not furry snow like GW makes.
c) I wanted to buy something from Cut and Thrust in Bristol ( new store, will do some General Shouting about it soon) as I go in there loads, chat, then leave without buying anything
d) My friend Scavengers board (WIP, when it is finished.......) will have a snow theme. Because it's cool. And we tend to play Mordheim in Winter and other games in summer.

And of course Hi everyone! and apologies if I have missed a thread with snow advice and this topic is utterly pointless. If there is such a thread I've been away so long it snow wonder I missed it. Ahem.
Back to top Go down
http://wobblygoggy.wordpress.com/
Ironfoundersson
Hero
Hero
Ironfoundersson

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: No business like snow business   No business like snow business Icon_minitimeWed 8 Sep 2010 - 5:51

I came across this problem with my dwarves a little while ago. I mixed the snow effects with white glue (and a tiny bit of blue paint to give it depth) and then put it straight onto the model base. Then I dipped the wet glue-snow into the dry snow effect to give it a fluffier look. Why don't you post some pictures of what you've got so we can see what you're talking about?
No business like snow business Img_2010

--Ironfoundersson
Back to top Go down
Speckie
Captain
Captain
Speckie

PostSubject: Re: No business like snow business   No business like snow business Icon_minitimeWed 8 Sep 2010 - 8:19

wobbly_goggy wrote:
...And we tend to play Mordheim in Winter and other games in summer.

Seasonal Tabletop Miniture Gaming! Epic Win!

And I heard baking powder was good?
Back to top Go down
Milliardo
General
General
Milliardo

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Shadow Warriors (Unofficial) Shadow Warriors (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: No business like snow business   No business like snow business Icon_minitimeWed 8 Sep 2010 - 10:40

I use Woodland Scenics stuff, as its fairly cheap... typically I mix it up with some PVA glue and some skull white GW paint and apply it in blobs where ever it would gather thickest, then apply a blast of aerosol PVA and scatter some snow flakes over the board. After its dry, I dust off most of it that hasn't stuck fast. I like this method because it doesn't cover all the terrain underneath, and makes it look like spring thaw.

No business like snow business DSCN0404
Back to top Go down
http://www.ulthuan.net/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No business like snow business   No business like snow business Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

No business like snow business
Page 1 of 1