Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Scarlet Lotus Samurai Clan

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
whiskeytango
Warlord
Warlord
whiskeytango

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

Scarlet Lotus Samurai Clan Empty
PostSubject: Scarlet Lotus Samurai Clan   Scarlet Lotus Samurai Clan Icon_minitimeThu 18 Apr 2013 - 9:50

I tend to drift in and out of posting stuff here, usually with at least a year between my forays, but if any of you guys remember from a while back, I mentioned once that my group was working on a supplement that takes place in Mordheim still, but includes a lot of foreigners. Well, you can't go too far into that idea without eventually running into Samurai and Ninjas, so we stopped beating around the bush and decided to just get to it on them (though Samurai and Ninjas will be two separate, rival warbands).

I usually don't add flavor text and stuff to WIP warband lists until they're a bit farther along than these guys are, so i'll just give you the jist of the stuff here. We knew we didn't want to just do "vanilla" Samurai, so to speak, since nothing in Mordheim is ever just normal. So we decided to flip the normal view of Samurai = good, Ninja = bad, and take that to the other end of the spectrum where this Samurai clan are servants of Chaos, and the forthcoming Ninja clan are trying to stop the encroachment of that evil into Nippon.

Since Nurgle already has a warband all to himself, and Possessed being able to essentially represent any Chaos god except Khorne, we thought we'd have him be represented by our Samurai warband, which actually works out pretty well. Lots of pride and arrogance in martial ability? Check. Ritualistic suicide if disgraced that is exceptionally bloody and ends in decapitation? Check. All seemed to fit together well.

Some quick terminology that i'll include here that'll be explained in the flavor text when i add it. Kyuunin is a Samurai rank thats sort of... mid-level officer, so it seemed fitting for a Captain parallel. Gashira were the heads of units. Sohei were warrior-monks who often wore the same kind of armor that Samurai did (though they just work a white band wrapped around their head instead of a helmet), and tended to favor the Naginata. I'm sure you all know what a Katana is. A wakizashi was the shorter blade that was paired with the Katana. A Nodachi was a very large katana that was worn across the back. A Naginata with essentially the equivalent of a halberd, though it was more like a pole-sword than a pole-axe. A Sashimono is the small banner that samurai wore on their backs. Ashigaru were peasant foot-soldiers.

On to the warband!

Scarlet Lotus Clan Samurai

A Samurai Warband starts with 500gc. 3 member minimum, 15 member maximum.

Special rules:

Far from home, and bad with the language: all rarity rolls from a samurai warband subtract 1 from the results, and may never hire any hired swords
Well Equipped: The Samurai and Gashiras may all purchase one piece of equipment at creation for half price, and the Kyuunin may choose one piece of equipment at creation for free.
Hereditary: One does not simply become "samurai", but must be born into it. If an Ashigaru ever becomes a Hero through a roll of The Lads Got Talent, he may not use the Special Samurai Skills as one of his two skill sets. Further, even if an Ashigaru gains the "Weapons Training" skill, he may never be equipped with both a Katana and a Wakizashi, as that combination is known as the "Dai-sho" in Nippon, and is worn exclusively by the Samurai class.

Samurai Equipment

Close Combat:
Dagger - 1st free/2nd 2gc
spear - 10gc
2-Handed Club - 18gc
Wakizashi - 20gc
Katana - 30gc
Nodachi - 30gc
Naginata - 30gc

Armor:
Heavy Armor - 25gc
Helmet - 10gc

Ranged:
Longbow - 15gc

Misc:
Sashimono* - 25gc
Oni-Mask - 30gc

*: Kyuunin only.

Sohei Equipment

Close Combat:
Club - 3gc
Spear - 10gc
Wakizashi - 20gc
2-Handed Club - 18gc
Naginata - 30gc

Armor:
Heavy Armor - 25gc

Ranged:
Longbow - 15gc

Misc:
Oni-Mask - 30gc

Ashigaru Equipment

Close Combat:
club - 3gc
spear - 10gc
Wakizashi - 20gc
2-Handed Club - 18gc

Armor:
Light Armor - 10gc
Helmet - 10gc

Ranged:
Longbow - 15gc
Handgun - 25gc

Kyuunin start with 20 experience, and may choose Strength, Speed, Combat, Shooting, Academic, and Special Skills
Gashira start with 12 experience, and may choose Strength, Speed, Combat, Shooting, and Special Skills
Sohei start with 8 experience, and may choose Strength, Speed, Combat, and Academic Skills

Heroes:

1 Samurai Kyuunin - 65gc to hire

M WS BS S T W I A Ld
4 5 4 3 3 1 4 1 8

Weapons/Armor: The Kyuunin may choose his equipment from the Samurai equipment list

Special rules:
Leader: Any warband member within 6" of the Kyuunin may use his leadership in place of their own.

0-2 Samurai Gashira - 40gc to hire

M WS BS S T W I A Ld
4 4 4 3 3 1 3 1 7

Weapons/Armor: A Gashira may choose his equipment from the Samurai equipment list

Special Rules:
Hara-Kiri: If a Gashira ever contributes to the warband routing due to being taken out of action, roll a D6 after the injury rolls, and before exploration. On a roll of 6, the character commits the ritualistic act of suicide known as Hara-Kiri in Nipponese culture. The character is removed from the roster, though all his equipment is retained. If the Kyuunin was not taken out of action during the game, he may choose to assist the character with his Hara-Kiri, and will decapitate him after he disembowels himself. If the Kyuunin does this, he gains +1 exp.

0-2 Sohei - 40gc to hire

M WS BS S T W I A Ld
4 3 3 3 3 1 3 1 7

Weapons/Armor: A Sohei may choose his equipment from the Sohei equipment list

Special Rules:
Tether: Each Sohei may be assigned a group of Onimusha or a Mountain Oni, whom they are responsible for keeping corporeal. As long as an Oni's assigned Sohei is alive and with the warband (not kidnapped/sold to the pits/sitting a game out due to injury/etc), that Oni is immune to Daemonic Instability and does not have to roll for injury after a game if it is taken out of action. However, if the Sohei is ever killed, any Oni who was tethered to the corporeal world by him is immediately thrust back into the Daemon Realm, and is removed from the warbands roster. If the Sohei is still alive, but not with the warband (kidnapped/sold to the pits/etc), his Oni become susceptible to Daemonic Instability again, until the Sohei is reunited with the warband.

____

Henchmen:

0-3 Samurai - 30gc to hire

M WS BS S T W I A Ld
4 4 3 3 3 1 3 1 7

Weapons/Armor: Samurai choose from the Samurai equipment list

Special Rules:
Hara-Kiri: If a Samurai group ever contributes to the warband routing due to being taken out of action, roll a D6 for ever member of the group who was taken OOA, after the injury rolls, and before exploration. On a roll of 6, the character commits the ritualistic act of suicide known as Hara-Kiri in Nipponese culture. The character is removed from the roster, though all his equipment is retained. If the Kyuunin was not taken out of action during the game, he may choose to assist the character with his Hara-Kiri, and will decapitate him after he disembowels himself. If the Kyuunin does this, he gains +1 exp.

0+ Ashigaru - 25gc to hire

M WS BS S T W I A Ld
4 3 3 3 3 1 3 1 7

Weapons/Armor: Ashigaru choose from the Ashigaru equipment list.

0-2 Onimusha - 55gc to summon

M WS BS S T W I A Ld
6 4 2 3 3 1 6 2 10

Weapons/Armor: Onimusha fight with their razor sharp claws. They may never be armed with any weapons or armor, but don't suffer any penalties for doing so.

Special Rules:
Fear: Onimusha cause fear
Flicker: Onimusha can move through walls, though they can't see through them.
Immune to Poison: Onimusha are immune to poison
Immune to Psychology: Onimusha are immune to psychology
Daemonic: Onimusha never gain experience
Daemonic Aura: Onimusha have a 5+ save that can't be modified, but is negated by magical weapons. Onimushas attacks are magical.
Daemonic Instability: Onimusha are bound to the world by Dark Rituals that are highly volatile and unstable. If taken Out Of Action an Onimusha is banished and effectively destroyed on a D6 roll of 1-3 (do not roll for injury). In addition, if the warband routs involuntarily then every Onimusha in the warband must take an immediate Leadership test. If this test is failed, then the Onimusha counts as destroyed.

0-1 Mountain Oni - 200gc to summon

M WS BS S T W I A Ld
4 3 1 5 4 3 3 2 10

Weapons/Armor: Mountain Oni carry a kanabo (2-handed club)

Special Rules:
Large Target: Mountain Oni count as a Large Target.
Fear: Mountain Oni cause fear
Immune to Poison: Mountain Oni are immune to poison
Immune to Psychology: Mountain Oni are immune to psychology
Daemonic: Mountain Oni never gain experience
Daemonic Aura: Mountain Oni have a 5+ save that can't be modified, but is negated by magical weapons. Mountain Oni attacks are magical.
Daemonic Instability: Mountain Oni are bound to the world by Dark Rituals that are highly volatile and unstable. If taken Out Of Action, a Mountain Oni is banished and effectively destroyed on a D6 roll of 1-3 (do not roll for injury). In addition, if the warband routs involuntarily then every Mountain Oni in the warband must take an immediate Leadership test. If this test is failed, then the Mountain Oni counts as destroyed.

Samurai Special Skills:

Master of the Katana: If a Samurai is armed with a Katana he may re-roll failed to hit rolls on attacks made with the katana when he charges.
Master of the Dai-sho: If the Samurai is armed with a Katana and a wakizashi, he may choose to dual wield them. If he does so, he counts as being armed with two wakizashi, suffers no -1 to hit for dual wielding, and may re-roll a failed parry.
Master of the Yari: If the Samurai is armed with a Spear, he will always strike first when he uses it, regardless of Initiative.
Master of the Yumi: If the Samurai is armed with a Longbow, he will never suffer "to hit" penalties for range or moving and shooting.
Master of the Heavy Blade: If the Samurai is armed with a Naginata or Nodachi, he will gain +1 attack with the weapon when he charges.

Samurai Special Equipment:

Sashimono (Samurai Only): If the Kyuunin is equipped with a Sashimono, the warband may reroll its first failed route test. 20 gc, Common

Oni-Mask: A character wearing an Oni-Mask causes Fear. 30gc, Rare 11

Katana: Range: Close Combat. Str: +1. Special Rules: Two handed: A Katana requires two hands to wield, and may not be combined with a shield/buckler/additional weapon in combat. Parry: As per sword "Parry" rule. Folded Blade: Critical wounds caused by a Katana add +1 to the roll. 30gc, Rare 10

Wakizashi: Range: Close Combat. Str: As per user. Special Rules: Parry: As per sword "Parry". Folded Blade: Critical wounds caused by a Wakizashi add +1 to the roll. 20gc, Rare 10

Naginata: Range: Close Combat. Str: +1. Special Rules: Two Handed: A Naginata requires two hands to wield, and may not be combined with a shield/buckler/additional weapon in combat. Strike First: As per spear "Strike First" rule. Folded Blade: Critical wounds caused by a Naginata add +1 to the roll. 30gc, Rare 10.

Nodachi: Range Close Combat. Str: +2. Special Rules: Two Handed: A Nodachi requires two hands to wield, and may not be combined with a shield/buckler/additional weapon in combat. Strike Last: As per Double-Handed Weapon "Strike Last" rule. Folded Blade: Critical wounds caused by a Nodachi add +1 to the roll. 30gc, Rare 10.
Back to top Go down
Soulblight
General
General
Soulblight

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Scarlet Lotus Samurai Clan   Scarlet Lotus Samurai Clan Icon_minitimeThu 18 Apr 2013 - 15:54

Well, since im not a player i can only appreciate the effort in this Warband! If I have had a group who plays I certainly would liked to test these out! They seem too cool for school!

Cant wait to see your ninja clan!
(and would love to see some miniatures that´s fits this band!)
Back to top Go down
whiskeytango
Warlord
Warlord
whiskeytango

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Scarlet Lotus Samurai Clan   Scarlet Lotus Samurai Clan Icon_minitimeFri 19 Apr 2013 - 8:36

Thanks. Probably wont be seeing any minis for a while. Most of the time we do quite a bit of play testing with proxies before anyone commits to making some actual models for it. I can imagine that'll go double for these guys since Samurai minis aren't as readily available, at least not at the shop.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Scarlet Lotus Samurai Clan   Scarlet Lotus Samurai Clan Icon_minitimeSun 28 Apr 2013 - 20:10

I really like the warband, although I am mystified as to the connection to Khorne, in particular, or chaos in general. Finally it seems like a great fit for BtB, so perhaps some setting specific rules?

Also, there are a couple of chaos oriented Hired Swords that would fit with the warband, the Chaos Emissary and the Cursed Hillman. Add the BtB HS like the ninja and the Mordheim HS who work for anybody. The outright ban on HS seems un-nessessary.

Reaper has a nice line of samurai and there are always old Clan Wars minis from e-bay.
Back to top Go down
whiskeytango
Warlord
Warlord
whiskeytango

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Scarlet Lotus Samurai Clan   Scarlet Lotus Samurai Clan Icon_minitimeSun 28 Apr 2013 - 23:50

Thanks Kurst. The Khorne connection will be a bit more clear whenever i get around to writing out the flavor text. Its all in my head at the moment. but the basis of it is that they don't worship "chaos" per se, but rather their own incarnation of the God of War and martial ability, in the same way that Dark Elves worship Khaine, who is of course really just an iteration of Khorne. I didn't want them to just be straight up chaos worshippers, there are already plenty of those warbands.

This band was written fairly specifically for Mordheim, which is why the outright ban on HS was included, but its fairly editable, and i'm not terribly attached to it to be honest. I just wanted something that gave them a persistent disadvantage, as otherwise, they are a fairly strong warband, with the functionally immortal daemons (as long as you keep your Sohei safe), cheap and powerful starting equipment for Samurai, and all around strong stats.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scarlet Lotus Samurai Clan   Scarlet Lotus Samurai Clan Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Scarlet Lotus Samurai Clan
Page 1 of 1