Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!)

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
matt
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
matt

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)
Achievements earned: none

Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!)   Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 7 Jan 2013 - 15:27

thanks for the comments so far! didnt expect them so fast! Smile

The orc is indeed slightly hunched over, not as much as GW orcs, yet enough to make him look 'orcy' (in my opinion, that is).
The armour is indeed a bit Chaos inspired. I wanted to make this more of a heavy armoured, more disciplined orc.
The face on the concept was pretty much a sketch, seeing that I dont really have a clue what I want to do with that yet. A good facial expression and pose can make or break the character, so I have no clue so far what to do with that.

and its funny that you mention the bigger chest actually, since at first his legs used to be 1 'block' shorter. (you can still see a vague sketch of the boots there). My girlfriend thought it made him look too silly with the small legs and big chest, so I changed the length of the legs :p

Love to see what else people have to say, please keep the comments coming! Smile

Honour Guard
Honour Guard
matt

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!)   Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 7 Jan 2013 - 15:30

oh, and on an entirely different note, for potential casting purposes, how would you like to see a model like this cut up?
say you'd buy this model in a store, how cut-up would you prefer to get it?

Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!)   Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 7 Jan 2013 - 16:06

Despite being a bit of a klutz on assembling, I usually prefer a mini with separate arms, torso, & legs as it allows moi to position the piece as I wish without having to cut it up. The possibilities for kit-bashing are increased with multi-part minis. Including extra parts & detail items is a real plus. What a Face
Back to top Go down
matt
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
matt

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!)   Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 7 Jan 2013 - 16:26

Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!) - Page 2 8357253507_77c70a15f4_b

that's the simplified version then!

I think I'll make it;

-legs
-chest+cloak (and shoulder pads)
-arms
-head+hair

now the real question, should I give him some kind of a beard? I think it could look cool, but Im not sure to be honest.

Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!)   Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 7 Jan 2013 - 17:17

Looks COOL...I like the cloak. AND I like the beard; a couple of Rackham's Orcs sported some facial hair. You can't go too wrong using Rackham as a guide...maybe. What a Face
Back to top Go down
matt
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
matt

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!)   Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 8 Jan 2013 - 23:20

Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!) - Page 2 8362935078_c5cb3726b1_b

he's got himself a nice 2handed axe! although Im considering resizing it a bit and giving him the option for a shield.
Im still considering what to do with the arms, mostly with weapon options. Any ideas are welcome!

Edit: ah, just notice you cant even see the more subtle details on the axe, like the rivets on the metal and the 'structure' of the wood.. hope that comes out better while printing!

Champion
Champion
9forsgren

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!)   Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 9 Jan 2013 - 8:12

Yeah multipart is almost always better, IMO! Easier to mod and make different characters out of the same model Smile
I really like the axe, not every day you see a big cleaver type axe.
Mr DeafNala: I have to agree with you there, everything is better with a beard, except perhaps the ladies..
Though the beard might make it complicated to get him to look really orcy and badass if you block the jaw and the lower part of the faces features, i don't know.
Back to top Go down
matt
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
matt

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!)   Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 9 Jan 2013 - 13:11

thanks for the reply again! Smile

Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!) - Page 2 8363493339_0093d416fc_b
a WiP of the chest. I think Im just going to try the beard, not really a full beard but more like a marauder beard or something (will look for a picture).

Comments etc are still more than welcome, please keep them coming ^^

Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!)   Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 9 Jan 2013 - 14:24

Maybe a long kind of wispy beard like the Martial Arts Master in Kill Bill had. Karate
The massiveness of the armor could explain his stoop...I like it. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
9forsgren
Champion
Champion
9forsgren

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!)   Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jan 2013 - 11:08

Love the armor Matt, really badass!!
How about something simple like this? More or less and old school captain Haddock Smile
Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!) - Page 2 006_JUP
Back to top Go down
matt
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
matt

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!)   Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jan 2013 - 13:14

thank you, thank you!
I was thinking of making it more of a complicated beard, but I might just leave it as is.
Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!) - Page 2 8366491859_2ac7fc221d_b
so that's what I got so far. As I said, I completely restarted it, seemed like the best option. Im still going to add hair to the top of his head, probably mohawk-ish (think Dwarf Slayer like).
I could use some serious advice on how to get his face a bit more serious though, it seems to miss something at the moment..

edit: by the way, that drawing, you didnt make that did you? if you did, you havent heard the last of me yet Razz haha

Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!)   Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jan 2013 - 13:51

The face looks better. It's not an expressive face, but I imagine that comes later in the process.
With the hair: a top knot might work also. How about a Fu Manchu style mustache? Shocked
Back to top Go down
9forsgren
Champion
Champion
9forsgren

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!)   Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jan 2013 - 14:21

Looking great so far, love the tusks! Smile
Dont know the name in english, but if you look at your profile picture, the bone that rounds the lower side of the eye. I think it should be a little more elevated, if that makes any sense?
Also IMO the jaw line should sort of connect with the lower part of the ears, and the curve of that line makes again IMO very different poses of the face ie. agressive or calm.
Wow its hard to put in english what you know from art classes Razz
Nope that sketch is by an awesome ORC comic book artist named Joe Flood, you might want to check out his work. He does really cool non-standard orcs Smile
Back to top Go down
matt
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
matt

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!)   Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jan 2013 - 14:01

Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!) - Page 2 8370486574_0acf768d87_b

small update. The parts are not added together ofcourse, still multipart! just wanted to show what it'd look like so far!

did some small adjustements with the jaw line and the cheek-bones (i guess that's what you meant).
added a VERY symplistic Mohawk (which obviously still needs work Wink)

hope you like it! please keep the C+C coming! Smile

Honour Guard
Honour Guard
matt

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!)   Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 12 Jan 2013 - 23:19

Did some work on the arms.

Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!) - Page 2 8373662197_b09a782b0c_b

The arms are rather long, past the knees. I imagined orcs to have a bit longer arms than humans, but this might be too much. What do you think? the axe is resting on the ground atm.

The left arm isnt positioned at all btw, it's just there so I didnt have to delete the unedited arm (Ill use that to position extra arms, add weapons, etc.)

And yes, I am aware of the lack of nails. Have to look into that!

Edit: fixed the nails, will redo the axe arm soon. so, should they be shorter or not?

Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!)   Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 12 Jan 2013 - 23:31

He's coming along. It looks like the forearms are somewhat too long; the upper arms look okay. His face is growing on me...fortunately, not literally.
This does seem like a pretty complex process; as such you have my admiration for your ability & perseverance. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
matt
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
matt

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!)   Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jan 2013 - 0:12

hehe, the face has had some modifications since last time. Some minor, but I think the more obvious cheekbones etc do add more character. Im very glad to see you noticed!
the process isnt as complex as you'd think, its just a lot of trial and error. Its basicly connecting-the-dots:advance-edition :p

Ill play around with the arms a bit tomorrow, see if I can figure something out Smile thanks for the comment!

Champion
Champion
9forsgren

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!)   Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jan 2013 - 10:17

As usual, looking good!
I have to agree about the lower arm, its proportionally a little long compared to the upper one IMO.
Kind of hard to see thou without the legs present, me thinks.
Your face edits came out great, if i may say so myself Smile
Back to top Go down
matt
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
matt

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!)   Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jan 2013 - 15:20

Thanks! Smile will add the legs soon ^^ and you're more than welcome to say so ^^

Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!) - Page 2 8375725663_38f758d39d_b

edited the arms. Looks way better imo. Gonna add more weapon options ofcourse, but I should do the legs first I guess. That and the cloak is what Im really fearing to do further. Everyone knows what it should like, but getting it to look like that is going to be hard Razz

Champion
Champion
9forsgren

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!)   Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jan 2013 - 21:52

Yes I agree, that looks great!
As for the cloak, it might be easier just modelling a blank, straight one and then add the "waves and swirles" (or fur if thats to your liking) with greenstuff? IMO its a pain in the ... to get the creases to look natural with 3d rendering
Back to top Go down
matt
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
matt

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!)   Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jan 2013 - 0:20

you're probably right, but then again it must be possible! Aargh! I mean, look at the GWS cloaks. (or even better, dark angle robes for example). No way they're hand sculpt. That's computer work right there. And if they can do it, there must be a way I can aswell, right? (/superconfidence mode). but yea, I might just do what you said actually :p.

Same for the boots, I want to add fur lining to it. No clue how to go there yet. I fear that the belt and boots are the most fine-detailed areas of the model, and Im a little scared to work on it atm.

I did, however, give options for both:
-an axe
-a shield
-a shotgun (holding it with both hands, f**k yea!)

I was thinking of adding fist weapons too.

sorry if this post doesnt make a lot of sense, pretty much just thinking on my keyboard at the moment.

PostSubject: Re: Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!)   Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Matt's sculpts (and other random stuff!)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2