Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log

Go down 
+89
SimpleAsWar
Athanatosz
cutp
Azmodan
DarkLordDaniel
havre
Dragonhunter
Unwanted
HarryMason
FioredeiLiberi
The Black Flame
Carantur
GWengerzink
Zak1
Talldrew
TenebraeLux
Lars Wurst
Paboook
IngoisT™
Jimmytrout
elde
jacques
wrinklestiltskin
umberoguen
flipchuck
Alex
bra'tac
Powerposey
HellspawN
SerialMoM
NoisyAssassin
mikeyc222
Grimscull
Etrigan001
Sinistar
Braxen
eBadger
izmerul
Novogord
christian
Ezekiel
Captain Ludwig of Altdorf
Cpt. Hand
Zab
HornedRat
Necoho
Caladan
Fat Rat
siredge
Da Bank
Kapitan_Hak
cianty
Sultan
Soulblight
Sgt. Mulcayhee
Lion01
Jerry_O
Jonadams2
Quase
tuxedokman
qazbnm
si
Vagabond
9forsgren
floedebolle
FKSN
Bezelfor
drakkol
FreddyAnal
Pervavita
2many
Wittgenstein
opaque
Dreng Tromm
Essmir.wolf
wanna993
Spectre76
AxelvonBremen
Mike
blessed knight
Theorox
folketsfiende
Macefist
Von Kurst
Captain Bernhardt
Bolbotos
JoaoS
DeafNala
theomar pius
93 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 27 ... 39  Next
AuthorMessage
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log   Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeThu 22 Aug 2013 - 3:51

I must spend more time in the juice aisle...
Back to top Go down
Zab
Warrior
Warrior
Zab

Trading Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log   Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSun 25 Aug 2013 - 0:50

I've had my eye on those juice caps for a long time now, though I was always thinking they would be good for a smaller scale. I hadn't thought of using them as a base. I'll have to put that one in my back pocket for later use. I like the idea of using a chess piece as well.

The onion dome looks great, btw. I look forward to seeing it up on the top of the tower.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zaboobadidoo.com
theomar pius
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
theomar pius

PostSubject: Re: Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log   Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSat 7 Sep 2013 - 5:16

This is the doorway to the temple/ church. You can see that the archways are made by cutting it from the foam, and then gluing it back in set back from the face. Also, sadly, not so sure the onion dome is going to work, it's just massive, and I'm not so sure the church can be built to the size that would match that dome. Not giving in though...

Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Tumblr_mslpy8YUZI1r4ni7eo3_1280
Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Tumblr_mslpy8YUZI1r4ni7eo4_1280
Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Tumblr_mslpy8YUZI1r4ni7eo1_1280
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log   Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSat 7 Sep 2013 - 10:31

Amazing stonework! Wow! That door looks proper. I love the various layers and the decorative design!!

Very inspirational as always!

Joao
Back to top Go down
http://fistful-minis.blogspot.co.uk/
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log   Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSat 7 Sep 2013 - 13:29

Oh good Theomar has an update!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log   Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSat 7 Sep 2013 - 14:30

It really is incredibly what can be done with foam; AND you take it to the limits. The Archway is a LOVELY creation. GREAT WORK!  thumbsup 
Back to top Go down
Fat Rat
Elder
Elder
Fat Rat

PostSubject: Re: Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log   Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSat 7 Sep 2013 - 21:02

Splendid thumbsup 

DeafNala wrote:
It really is incredibly what can be done with foam;
Yes, it is fantastic material for things like that.
Back to top Go down
theomar pius
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
theomar pius

PostSubject: Re: Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log   Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeMon 9 Sep 2013 - 17:15

Temple is getting pretty tall, but then I was looking at it, and the rest of the buildings on the island are going to be pretty tall, as buildings on islands tend to be, so now I’m not too worried about the height. So Now I’m working on another lower layer, which will probably be the base level. There will be a sloped roof where the two upper levels meet, I just haven’t gotten there yet. Also, I mocked up an alternate roof in case I want to lay off of the onion dome, but honestly, the onion dome is coming back into favor now.

Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Tumblr_msuxzsl2Cj1r4ni7eo2_1280
Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Tumblr_msuxzsl2Cj1r4ni7eo1_1280
Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Tumblr_msuxzsl2Cj1r4ni7eo3_1280
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log   Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue 10 Sep 2013 - 4:43

Wonderful.

Long ago I wanted to build a Kislevite city or village and I would spend a bit of time in the ornaments aisles of Hobby Lobby and Michael's around Christmas time. Never bought any though, so I'm watching this project pretty close.
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log   Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue 10 Sep 2013 - 8:34

Wonderful!

Why not have TWO domes then? Or two churches? Maybe from rival traditions? That can give you an excuse to make more than one church using a different style!

Joao
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log   Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue 10 Sep 2013 - 15:09

That is a SPLENDID piece...definite centerpiece potential there. FANTASTIC WORK! thumbsup 
Back to top Go down
theomar pius
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
theomar pius

PostSubject: Re: Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log   Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue 10 Sep 2013 - 23:30

Temple is coming along nicely.

I'm definitely going to have to mount it separate from the island, because it's way to tall to get out of the door. However, I can start to see how this will turn out, and I'm good with it. No, I don't plan this stuff out ahead of time, it's a wonder I finish anything.

Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Tumblr_msxibjzukY1r4ni7eo3_1280
Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Tumblr_msxibjzukY1r4ni7eo2_1280
Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Tumblr_msxibjzukY1r4ni7eo1_1280
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log   Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed 11 Sep 2013 - 1:58

I've had the "too tall" problem more than once. Having it separate won't detract from the scene...the Cathedral will be SPECTACULAR regardless.  What a Face
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log   Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed 11 Sep 2013 - 3:16

I would thing that the width of the town would be the problem, rather than height. Be that as it may, I am sure the finished product will be stunning. thumbsup 

[no pressure]
Back to top Go down
Cpt. Hand
Champion
Champion
Cpt. Hand

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ogres (BTB) Ogres (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log   Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed 11 Sep 2013 - 10:12

Your stuff is awesome, how you do the shingles earlier on in this topic, wow, can see myself enjoying that to be honest, haven't the skill for this kind of high standard though. I especially like the stained glass window effect and the amount of detail you put in. Looking through your Tumblr, I'd say you know where to look for inspiration too. I know you have probably been asked this before, but have you ever tried making open buildings? The kind you would find on a Mordheim table?
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log   Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed 11 Sep 2013 - 23:19

Cpt. Hand wrote:
Your stuff is awesome, how you do the shingles earlier on in this topic, wow, can see myself enjoying that to be honest,
I'm still to see someone enjoying doing the shingles and putting them up one by one! Wink
I only started making my own terrain a year ago, but thanks to Theomar's tutorials I was able to exorcise my lack of confidence. Give it a try and you will do really well!

Theomar, this church of yours has an amazing design and enough interesting angles to make it one of the best things I've seen terrain-wise!

Joao
Back to top Go down
Cpt. Hand
Champion
Champion
Cpt. Hand

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log   Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSat 14 Sep 2013 - 0:08

If anything all this great scenery is giving me itchy fingers. I've only ever worked on actual houses, brickwork (which I find theraputic) and fascia border etc, and some gardening, might try my hand. And yes definitely, this church is looking awesome, the structure of it could work for some kind of mage college scenery too! Sorry, getting into wizards and things at the moment haha.
Back to top Go down
theomar pius
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
theomar pius

PostSubject: Re: Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log   Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSat 14 Sep 2013 - 1:53

Cpt. Hand wrote:
Your stuff is awesome, how you do the shingles earlier on in this topic, wow, can see myself enjoying that to be honest, haven't the skill for this kind of high standard though. I especially like the stained glass window effect and the amount of detail you put in. Looking through your Tumblr, I'd say you know where to look for inspiration too. I know you have probably been asked this before, but have you ever tried making open buildings? The kind you would find on a Mordheim table?
I'm thinking of doing some open buildings on this project, just to see how they would turn out. But then again, I've built a church and a gatehouse, and neither of them were open. One problem I have with that style is that all of my building materials are way out of scale. Walls would be massively thick, unless I cat them so thin as to make them flimsy. We'll see, I am kicking it around.
Back to top Go down
theomar pius
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
theomar pius

PostSubject: Re: Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log   Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSat 14 Sep 2013 - 1:56

I’m working on spacing thins on the island, and needed to know just how large the griffin statue would be, what’s the footprint. This thing was a joy t put together, it will be absolute minimal filling and sanding, pretty much mostly on the head. As it will be a statue, I’ll also be putting him on a big plinth. You can also see the blue tape on the surface of the island, that is generally where the buildings will lie, and where the streets will be. I’m kind of geeked, I might start scratching out some basic foundation shapes this weekend.

Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Tumblr_mt35kbeupl1r4ni7eo1_1280
Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Tumblr_mt35kbeupl1r4ni7eo2_1280
Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Tumblr_mt35kbeupl1r4ni7eo3_1280
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log   Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSat 14 Sep 2013 - 2:54

Quote :
I’m kind of geeked, I might start scratching out some basic foundation shapes this weekend.
Woot! Can't wait to see more bounce bounce bounce 
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log   Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSat 14 Sep 2013 - 3:57

Von Kurst wrote:
Woot!  Can't wait to see more bounce bounce bounce 
I'll forego the "Woot" & bouncing, but otherwise the imminent progress reports get a solid OH BABY! thumbsup 
Back to top Go down
Cpt. Hand
Champion
Champion
Cpt. Hand

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log   Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSat 14 Sep 2013 - 19:36

Looking awesome! And with the open buildings, wouldn't 1cm be a good thickness to use? Showing thickness of walls etc, and the dimensions would fit well with that balsa wood everyone loves to use Very Happy
Back to top Go down
theomar pius
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
theomar pius

PostSubject: Re: Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log   Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSat 14 Sep 2013 - 21:19

Cpt. Hand wrote:
Looking awesome! And with the open buildings, wouldn't 1cm be a good thickness to use? Showing thickness of walls etc, and the dimensions would fit well with that balsa wood everyone loves to use Very Happy
Yeah, but the foam is .5", which is like 2' thick in scale. :/
Back to top Go down
Zab
Warrior
Warrior
Zab

PostSubject: Re: Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log   Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSun 15 Sep 2013 - 5:07

Wow, that is ambitious. I'm thoroughly impressed, and look forward to more progress. Makes me want to get back to my own ambitious project.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zaboobadidoo.com
Cpt. Hand
Champion
Champion
Cpt. Hand

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log   Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSun 15 Sep 2013 - 5:20

Ah I see, I'd just love to see what it would be like with the level of detail you use. Loving everything you've done so far though, and that island really gets the imagination going.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log   Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log - Page 16 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dunbrough and Gripenhem WIP log
Page 16 of 39Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 27 ... 39  Next