Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Trying to find/think of a setting

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Zartes
Hero
Hero
Zartes

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: none

Trying to find/think of a setting Empty
PostSubject: Trying to find/think of a setting   Trying to find/think of a setting Icon_minitimeMon 19 Sep 2011 - 8:22

Please excuse my rambling, I assure you I do have a point buried in here somewhere

Have you ever noticed that each setting for Mordheim is pretty much defined by the terrain that is expected in the setting, and the warbands that one could call the local flavour? Often the "local flavour" warbands are actually the more "evil/antagonist" guys, but not always. However, playing in a setting just doesn't feel quite right, to me at least, if you don't have the right terrain and at least one of the local flavour warbands.

For example:
Vanilla Modheim - More-or-less ruined buildings. Possessed and Skaven (Vampire count warbands in a pinch)
Lustria - Jungle and swamps. Lizardmen and Amazons
Khemri - Deserts and tombs. Tomb Kings and Tomb raiders
Mousillon - again, more-or-less ruined buildings. Bretonnians and Blood Dragon vampires
Karak Azgal - caverns and tunnels and great halls. Dwarfs and Goblins (either Night, or following Orcs)
Border Town Burning - forests and steppe-type land. Battle Monks and Norse/Beastman Raiders.

I recently got back into Mordheim, and dragged a few of my friends along with me :p I've got together a couple of warbands, and so have they, and I've been looking into what kind of terrain I can make from materials I have on hand. And it occurs to me that what warbands we have on hand, and what terrain we can cheaply make, don't mesh up with any of the existent setting warband/terrain combinations.

Terrain I can make cheaply: ruined and whole buildings, dead European-type trees, palm trees, hills, sand dunes, rocky outcrops.

Warbands that are likely to be playing in said terrain: dwarfs, orcs (sans goblins), ogre maneaters, dark elves, undead (the lead by a vampire kind), and my own bandit-and-criminal-themed mercenary warband.
Can anybody think of any locations and situations around the warhammer world that would fit the forces and scenery at our disposal?
Back to top Go down
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
BalrogTheBuff

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find/think of a setting   Trying to find/think of a setting Icon_minitimeMon 19 Sep 2011 - 17:22

Any coast region would work well. My southlands coast could work, but needs a lot more development. Just use the Empire in Flames setting rules but combine it with some of the Sartosa water rules. Or even just Sartosa would work great!
Back to top Go down
Zartes
Hero
Hero
Zartes

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find/think of a setting   Trying to find/think of a setting Icon_minitimeMon 19 Sep 2011 - 17:42

BalrogTheBuff wrote:
Any coast region would work well. My southlands coast could work, but needs a lot more development. Just use the Empire in Flames setting rules but combine it with some of the Sartosa water rules. Or even just Sartosa would work great!

A great suggestion. Pity water features are such a pain to do in a nice way on a flat board :p
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find/think of a setting   Trying to find/think of a setting Icon_minitimeTue 20 Sep 2011 - 1:45

I agree wholeheartedly that a campaign that is using a specific setting should have terrain and or warbands that fit. For me that is the draw of miniature wargaming and the joy of the hobby. I've never gotten into building a City of Mordheim table, but I love campaigning in Lustria, Khemri and Sartosa. My group has combined Sartosa and Khemri and we are currently sailing the seas of the Karibbean (Sartosa and Lustria).

If you are just starting out I would pick something that appeals to as many of the group as possible since creating a setting out of nothing takes a bit of time. For short cuts I recommend second hand stores and garage sales to pickup used playsets, silk/plastic plants and aquarium accessories.

I would definately not pick somewhere that the primary scenery builder is uninterested in.

As far as your group fitting a certain setting, it seems a pretty good fit in many of them:

Empire in Flames--as suggested.
Sartosa--as suggested.
Nemesis crown--the crown is more of plot than a setting, but adding the NC scenarios to an EiF setting is fun.

Lustria--your group includes a Dark Elf player, so you have one of the original warbands from the setting, dwarfs are incorrigable treasure hunters and orcs and ogres are everywhere. The vampire can be one of Luthor Harkon's minions from the Vampire Coast.

My group has adventured in Lustria a lot over the last 10 yrs. We have played campaigns that concentrated on the Undead, pirates and the usual steal from the lizardmen or the Amazons. Our current Karibbean campaign has no Lustrian warbands represented at all, but the Lustrian Hazards table from TC has encounters with pygmies, Amazons and Lizardmen, so we've had plenty of local flavor.

Karak Azgal--you have Dwarfs and orcs. Ancient conflict. The rest of the group represent adventurers come to loot the dwarfs.

Mordheim--you have a much more Mordheimy mix than some campaigns I've heard of. None of your warbands would not travel to Mordheim.

Bordertown--the Ogres are a campaign warband and all of the rest of the warbands are easily explainable.

Scenery--you can easily make the scenery required for any setting from cardboard and other common materials you probably throw out in the trash or put in the recycling bin.

All of my Khemri and Lustrian ruins or tombs are made from white packing foam looted from local appliance and stereo stores or pink or blue insulation foam that I begged from construction sites. Lots of places trash lots of useable material every day, you just have to ask for it and be prepared to take it away.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find/think of a setting   Trying to find/think of a setting Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trying to find/think of a setting
Page 1 of 1