Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery

Go down 
+4
Theorox
DeafNala
Von Kurst
whiskeytango
8 posters
AuthorMessage
whiskeytango
Warlord
Warlord
whiskeytango

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery Empty
PostSubject: Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery   Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery Icon_minitimeWed 7 Sep 2011 - 2:38

I've been playing alot more lately, but our group just kind of makes do with what our shop has. Mostly the paper mordheim buildings, trees, towers. All of it sub-optimal. So after looking around the threads here, I decided to get to it and start some more respectable mordheim stuff.

I've never made anything with foamcore before, so I thought i'd start easy with that old stand by "the only remaining corner". I should have planned it out better before I started. The wall with the exposed stone is 3 separate pieces glued together instead of one cut to the proper size. I still need to add a little bit of floor for the third level, some more debris laying around, and some sort of texture for the walls. I also know a base made of cardboard isn't the best idea, but its all i had.

Overall, I'm happy with it, but I would like to get more complex with further builds. I also need some advice: what kind of adhesive do you guys use? I'm just using PVA, which works well when gluing the wood to the foam, but it doesn't seem to do well gluing the foam to itself.

Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery DSC01543

Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery DSC01544

Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery DSC01545

Last edited by whiskeytango on Tue 13 Sep 2011 - 4:33; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery   Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery Icon_minitimeWed 7 Sep 2011 - 4:03

Looking good!

PVA should be fine actually. I use old Elmers all the time. If you have a hot glue gun you could also use that or Tacky Glue works pretty good and dries fast, always a plus.

I would switch to a hardboard of some kind--Masonite or MDF for basing the house. In my experience cardboard and foamcore warp a lot.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery   Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery Icon_minitimeWed 7 Sep 2011 - 4:36

VERY NICE! The woodwork looks GREAT & the boarded up windows are a FINE touch. Keep up the GOOD WORK! thumbsup

I'm a hot glue & tacky glue Guy myself. The Hot glue is super quick, flexible, & relatively strong. The tacky has an advantage over Elmer's in that it remains pliant. For VERY large pieces. (2'X2' for example) Liquid Nails is the best...they make on specifically for foam.

I usually base my buildings on the Fan Insulation Foam....the cross grain two ply variety is pretty warp resistant. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Theorox
Warlord
Warlord
Theorox

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery   Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery Icon_minitimeWed 7 Sep 2011 - 12:04

That isn't bad at all, nice job! Very Happy I'd base it on something sturdier though, MDF can be carved and sculpted to blend into the gamingboard better.

Theo
Back to top Go down
luckyjoe
General
General
luckyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery   Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery Icon_minitimeWed 7 Sep 2011 - 15:11

That looks great! Nice and open for easy playability. I've been basing my buildings on vinyl floor tiles.
Back to top Go down
smokezombie
Warlord
Warlord
smokezombie

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery   Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery Icon_minitimeWed 7 Sep 2011 - 15:42

Hey, good job on your first building. Nice and big with lots of space for a ruck on the first floor.
I use PVA for nearly everything ( not rooftiles tho.. ) I also use pins to hold the walls together when putting them together.
I would recomend having the floorboards a bit closer toghther, some of the gaps look a bit too large.
Time to get cracking on the next building Very Happy
Back to top Go down
whiskeytango
Warlord
Warlord
whiskeytango

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery   Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery Icon_minitimeWed 7 Sep 2011 - 21:25

Pinning the walls, thats a good idea.

Got started on another building. This one was a little more involved, but not terribly so. I like to imagine its the former home of a wealthier member of Mordheim society with a secret inclination. Still needs more stuff for detail, like rubble and wall texture, but its basically done construction wise.

Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery DSC01549

Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery DSC01550

Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery DSC01551

Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery DSC01552

Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery DSC01553
Back to top Go down
luckyjoe
General
General
luckyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery   Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery Icon_minitimeThu 8 Sep 2011 - 15:33

Wow! Very nice. I like that balcony a lot and the secret altar is very cool.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery   Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery Icon_minitimeThu 8 Sep 2011 - 17:01

VERY COOL! I love the precarious way the roof is balanced, the woodwork,,,particularly the railing, & the little altar...in other words, just about everything. Keep up the FINE WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
smokezombie
Warlord
Warlord
smokezombie

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery   Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery Icon_minitimeThu 8 Sep 2011 - 17:25

Nice!, the roof and balcony bit look fantastic. I would swap the cardboard as soon as possible as you'll be Sad sad when it warps, thick plastic card works well too.
You'r going to have a freat looking table. Where abouts in the world are you located?
Back to top Go down
whiskeytango
Warlord
Warlord
whiskeytango

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery   Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery Icon_minitimeFri 9 Sep 2011 - 2:30

Thanks guys. I gotta ask, what do you cut masonite/mdf with? Cause I don't have any power tools except a dremel, so if it takes some sort of saw, then its not viable for me.

So i got some spackle today and went to town on my complete buildings with it, and man, does it help them look better. I started to undercoat the taller building too, but ran out of spray before it was finished. Such is life I suppose, heres some pics of it mostly base coated.

Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery DSC01554

Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery DSC01555
Back to top Go down
whiskeytango
Warlord
Warlord
whiskeytango

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery   Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery Icon_minitimeFri 9 Sep 2011 - 6:27

So heres another one I'm working on. A ruined guard tower of sorts, i've still got to build a little roof for the small connecting building, add a ton of tiles to the pringles can, and build some ruined walls on top of the tower, and then a bunch of spackle. Its roughly about 4 stories tall. If anyone ever takes the time to get to the top of this during gameplay, it'll be a snipers mecca. Well, for long bows and long rifles anyways, as its height alone takes alot of range off of weapons.

Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery DSC01564
Back to top Go down
Vagabond
Ancient
Ancient
Vagabond

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery   Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery Icon_minitimeFri 9 Sep 2011 - 9:20

Just keep up the good work! Smile
Back to top Go down
luckyjoe
General
General
luckyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery   Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery Icon_minitimeFri 9 Sep 2011 - 17:17

That ruined tower is cool! I can't wait to see it finished. The other builds are coming along nicely also. It's amazing how a little spackle and black undercoat start to bring a project to life.
Back to top Go down
whiskeytango
Warlord
Warlord
whiskeytango

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery   Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery Icon_minitimeSat 10 Sep 2011 - 4:18

Got some more paint put down on the townhouse and started on a gallows/heads block. Building things out of just wood is a pain. Everything about the gallows looks a little off kilter, but I'm ok with it. Things in Mordheim should be off kilter.

Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery DSC01567

Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery DSC01568

Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery DSC01570
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery   Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery Icon_minitimeSat 10 Sep 2011 - 10:48

That painted up VERY NICELY! It's funny how I don't notice things until they're painted; in this case I hadn't noticed the shape of the upper story door...rather different; I like it. thumbsup
The Gallows is an EXCELLENT little bit of modeling...including the lever was a nice touch. Keep up the GOOD WORK! What a Face
Back to top Go down
smokezombie
Warlord
Warlord
smokezombie

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery   Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery Icon_minitimeSat 10 Sep 2011 - 12:17

I quite like the gallows too, it's something that you can actually play on ...insted of a small gallows that you can only play around.

Gotta love pringles towers too. Don't want to fall of there .. d3 strength 9 hits anyone? Very Happy

Great job. Keep them coming!
Back to top Go down
whiskeytango
Warlord
Warlord
whiskeytango

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery   Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery Icon_minitimeTue 13 Sep 2011 - 4:20

Thanks guys!

Haven't worked on the guard tower at all, all the tiles are daunting. I did get started on a livery building though. I noticed that everything I was building was pretty tall, so I thought it'd be good to build something a little shorter, and add some dynamic levels to the board. Also, I don't see alot of liverys, so i thought it'd be a good choice. Ran out of glue about half way through the shingling, so that'll have to wait.

Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery DSC01571
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery   Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery Icon_minitimeTue 13 Sep 2011 - 12:25

NICE START! I also tend to go for tall buildings. Having a variety of heights adds visual interest to the board. Keep up the GOOD WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery   Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery Icon_minitimeTue 13 Sep 2011 - 13:35

Nice work - those buildings are turning out really well.

Back to top Go down
luckyjoe
General
General
luckyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery   Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery Icon_minitimeTue 13 Sep 2011 - 15:30

That livery is looking nice. Kep em coming.
Back to top Go down
whiskeytango
Warlord
Warlord
whiskeytango

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery   Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery Icon_minitimeSat 17 Sep 2011 - 20:53

thanks guys.

Finally got some paint on the gallows, and I think it came out nice. The blood is a little more AAAGHHH I'M RED!!!! than it should be, so I'll need to tone that down a bit. Just need to add some nooses and I think I can call this one done.

Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery DSC01591
Back to top Go down
luckyjoe
General
General
luckyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery   Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery Icon_minitimeSun 18 Sep 2011 - 5:14

Very nice. That gallows is cool. I really like the headman's block.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery   Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Whiskeytangos Buildings! New Livery
Page 1 of 1