Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)

Go down 
+98
Csilva
ryryak
Rhydderch
Heretical
Lorka
Dapper
MagicJuggler
Sampson97
Citizen Sade
The Hobo Hunter
2704ENG
Yodhrin
Athanatosz
bitxo
mitokun
Calimbandil
Lord 0
Braddoc
FioredeiLiberi
Nordheim
Ranez
Grimscull
floedebolle
MasterSpark
Caledore
Josiah_Blessed
wrinklestiltskin
xarly22
Darthvegeta800
butthole_serfdom
DB 2.0
NoisyAssassin
beninator
Pikey
Aipha
avarua
Arathorn
Captain Ludwig of Altdorf
Mayonnaise
Pan Domingo
totzro
Jonadams2
Vagabond
qazbnm
BigD
Drut
tuxedokman
Nasse
HumanFly
WarbossKurgan
havre
Spectre76
brokenv
Pervavita
chaos wolf
aviphysics
plainoldandrew
Plutz
Lucas Blackwolf
Pilgrim Pod
Per
Pararoxy
Katsuhiko JiNNai
xlins
siredge
luckyjoe
Dribble Joy
Montegue
Eliazar
Pfreck
Soulblight
Bjornur
TreGod
felixjaeger
Alcaeus
Alex
BeanoMcsheff
Valtiel
Colonel_kex
Horatius
CountBale
Edyy
Rhoaran
smokezombie
jkeg
Commander Von Drake
BalrogTheBuff
Odin Morgrimmsson
Von Kurst
Louis
caratacos
SerialMoM
folketsfiende
Vissah
Saranor
Nexie
Skavenslayer
Dahag
102 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
Montegue
Champion
Champion
Montegue

Trading Reputation : 0

warband - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   warband - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 17 Aug 2011 - 15:08

I recently began with a Dwarf waband, and went with nine initial figures.

Noble, Hammer, pistol
Engineer, and Crossbow
Slayer - hammer
Slayer, hammer
(2) thunderers - Crossbow
3 Beardlings w/hammer

I got my butt handed to me by my wife's Undead warband in the first round, but I didn't lose anyone and one of my slayers picked up a Nervous Condition. I was a bit disappointed, but made enough cash to flesh out my weapons on my people for the next game and buy another Beardling.

The next game, I cleaned house, routing her after taking out several of her Dire Wolves and minions.

The third game between us, I cleaned house again, after rounding out my armament. I now have a 12 dwarf warband, pretty well armed, and ready to rock. The heroes and henchies have experience and some abilities (strong man on the slayer with the Nervous condition, mighty blows on the other, Step Aside on the leader, and Nible on the Engineer).

Back to top Go down
Dribble Joy
Veteran
Veteran
Dribble Joy

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

warband - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Black Orc Warband   warband - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun 21 Aug 2011 - 16:41

Hey guys, been lurking for a while and given my gaming group is thinking of doing a Mordheim campaign soon, I thought I'd get some advice on the Black Orcs I will be using.

Now, I generally like heavy armoured, elite forces (meganobs in 40k, black orcs in fantasy, etc.) and I'd like to stick to the theme of Black Orcs as much as possible, though I'd like to put my self in the best position to start with.

Black Orc Big Boss -165
Sword
Shield
Helmet
Heavy Armour

Black Orc - 135
Sword
Shield
Helmet
Heavy Armour

Black Orc - 135
Sword
Shield
Helmet
Heavy Armour

Young'un - 35
Black Orc Blood

Young'un - 25

Not a final list, as there's obviously some considerable holes, namely the lack of weapons on the young'uns.
The thing is that I'm not quite sure what to drop on the other three.
Given the small numbers, survivability is key, hence the swords, shields, armour and helmets.
I'd initially like to have the young'uns with bows or crossbows to support the others.
Drop one set of heavy armour for crossbows? Drop the helmets on the Black Orcs for bows?

Get a Troll?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   warband - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun 21 Aug 2011 - 17:28

I always recommend a troll. Trolls are great for starting orc warbands of any type.

I'd scrap all the armor except the helmets to start unless your group is playing with house rules that make armor worthwhile.

There are lots of Black Orc warbands about at present. The exploits of 2 of them may be followed in the Fluff and Battle Reports section of the forum. There is one in Flame On's Sartosa campaign and one in the Pirates of the Karibbean thread (Da 'Ard Knokkas). Both seem to be struggling. One took the 5 heroes with Heavy Armor approach and one is using crossbows. Da 'Ard Knokkas may improve if Chadwicc gets some games in.
Back to top Go down
luckyjoe
General
General
luckyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   warband - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 23 Aug 2011 - 5:00

Hi, folks. I just posted my first Undead Warband on my blog.

Here's what I went with. A mostly living warband with a Dire Wolf for a little speed. Most of the weapons choices for the Dregs were governed by what was already modeled on the minis.

Valkar's Legion 499 gc
Valkar The Red - Vampire - Sword, Mace (Old Reaper mini)
Eli Morte - Necromancer - Sword, Bow, Club
Larion - Dreg - Mace, Sword. This mini is a HorrorQuest Vampire Thrall.
Brother Darylion - Dreg - Axe, Mace, Bow
Other Brother Darylion - Dreg - Spear, Bow
Ghouls x 4 Names: Stench, Dread, Hungry, and Badness. (each in a separate Henchman group to increase chance of rolling The Lad's Got Talent). I used Heroscape Ghouls for these, with some slight conversions.
Dire Wolf x 1 (Named Goggie) Wanted something fast, besides I likes me some doggies.

C&C welcome.

I've got some pics on the blog if you're interested.

http://joesfamilyhammer.blogspot.com/2011/08/undead-warband-for-mordheim.html
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   warband - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 24 Aug 2011 - 2:22

Hey Joe,
Looks solid to me. The painted warband looks great as well.
Back to top Go down
luckyjoe
General
General
luckyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   warband - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 24 Aug 2011 - 4:18

Hi, Von Kurst. Thanks. I've got 3 more warbands just about ready, Orcs, Reiklanders, & WItch Hunters. Then Skaven, Possessed, Pirates, Chaos Marauders, Middenheimers, Marienbergers and Dwarf Treasure Hunters. Also seriously considering a Sisters of Sigmar Warband using Reaper Butt-Nuns. Smile
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   warband - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 24 Aug 2011 - 4:40

The warbands never end! I started out using models from warhammer armies, but there's always something to convert or a new model to buy. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
siredge
Captain
Captain
siredge

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   warband - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 24 Aug 2011 - 19:48

What do people think about my starting Skaven band? Any suggestions?

Assassin 122
-weeping blades
-sling

Black skaven 52
-Halberd
-Sling

Black skaven 52
-Halberd
-Sling

Sorcerer 57
-spear
-sling

Night runner 24
-extra dagger
-sling

Night runner 24
-extra dagger
-sling

4 Vermin 100
-mace
-sling

4 Giant Rats 60

Total 491g
Back to top Go down
luckyjoe
General
General
luckyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   warband - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 24 Aug 2011 - 20:12

Hi, Siredge. I would give each of the NightRunners a club for another 6 gc to bring you up to 497.
Back to top Go down
siredge
Captain
Captain
siredge

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   warband - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 24 Aug 2011 - 20:13

ahh i miss read that. I thought they could only choose from the heroes section. yes i would do that before giving them another dagger.
Back to top Go down
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
BalrogTheBuff

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   warband - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 25 Aug 2011 - 22:09

Warband List

Circle of the Loa list. The Campaign uses the special rule that after initial creation you get 100 gc, Leaders get 4 exp, other heroes get 3 and henchmen get 2 exp. This list reflects those gains.

Bokor - Bow, Sword, Death Vision (necro spell), Soothing the Beast (Shaman spell), Graceful Soul
Displaced - No Gear, +1 S
Warrior Acolyte, Bow, Sword, Club, Toughened Leathers, +1 T
Necromancer Acolyte, Bow, 2HW, Spell of Awakening (necro spell)
Wrangler Acolyte, bow, 2 clubs, T.Leather, Forceful Soul
Bossale Hero, Strength and Combat skill lists +1 A, Sword, Club, T.Leather
Bossale +1 Init, Sword, Club, T.Leather
Bossale Sword, Club, T.Leather
8 Zombies
Back to top Go down
xlins
Champion
Champion
xlins

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   warband - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 29 Aug 2011 - 19:24

Hey! I think it's time to post my very first Witch Hunter warband, and it goes something like this:

1 Captain (60gc)
dagger, pistol (15gc), sword(10gc), buckler(5gc), crossbow(25gc) 115gc

1 Priestess /heheh/ (40gc)
2x hammer 6gc 46gc

1 Witch Hunter (25gc)
crossbow (25gc) , sword (10gc),hammer(3gc), dagger 63gc

1 Witch Hunter (25gc)
crossbow (25gc) , hammer (3gc), dagger 50gc

1 Witch Hunter (25gc)
sword (10gc) , pistol (15gc) , buckler (5gc) 55gc

1 Flagellant with Flail 55gc
1 Flagellant with Flail 55gc

4 War Hounds 60g

Total = 499 gc

Note: I am using the rules that you can download from the gw mordheim official page.

¿Changes? ¿Improvements?

Damm I need more hounds! (just 1 on the warband...and one more coming from ebay... :/ )
Back to top Go down
Horatius
Warlord
Warlord
Horatius

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   warband - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 29 Aug 2011 - 20:10

xlins, that warband is definetely playable as it is, any changes are purely down to personal preference.
I would drop two crossbows and a sword to get another flagellant, more henchmen normally mean you get another hero faster. Alternatively you could buy him after one game.
I would not invest in a zealot until you get a flagellant hero, that way he does not "accidentally" become one and prevents the flagellants from it.
Back to top Go down
Katsuhiko JiNNai
Elder
Elder
Katsuhiko JiNNai

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   warband - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri 2 Sep 2011 - 17:41

My undead warband is finally complete, so I'm looking to create a marauders of chaos warband. Here two army lists I'm considering:

Ancient Khemri Cult of Harakhthe the Great God Hawk, Master of the Change. (norse)

NeRiGaL al-JiNN abd Harakhthe al Arabia, Chieftain w/hammer and sword= 108gc
Neferia Seer w/Mark of the Eagle, w/free dagger and hammer= 48gc
He'rur, Champion= w/free dagger and sword= 55gc
Azura, Champion= w/free dagger and steel whip= 60gc
Shaitan, Condemned= 55gc
Amir, Marauder w/free dagger and hammer= 38gc
Melchior, Marauder w/free dagger and hammer= 38gc
Ahzar, Marauder w/free dagger and hammer= 38gc
4 Warhounds= 60gc

TOT= 500gc
Models= 12

OR

Ancient Khemri Cult of Harakhthe the Great God Hawk, Master of the Change. (Kurgan)

NeRiGaL al-JiNN abd Harakhthe al Arabia, Chieftain w/hammer x2= 101gc
Neferia Seer w/Mark of the Eagle, w/ free dagger and hammer= 48gc
He'rur, Champion= w/hammer x2= 51gc
Azura, Champion= w/hammer and steel whip= 63gc
Shaitan, Condemned= 55gc
Amir, Marauder w/free dagger and bow= 45gc
Melchior, Marauder w/free dagger and bow= 45gc
Ahzar, Marauder w/free dagger and bow= 45gc
3 Warhounds= 45gc

TOT= 498gc
Models= 11

Any suggestion will be welcome. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
http://therealmofjinnai.blogspot.it/
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   warband - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat 3 Sep 2011 - 2:46

I am not familiar with the warband, but I love the names and the theme. What models will you be using?
Back to top Go down
Horatius
Warlord
Warlord
Horatius

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   warband - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat 3 Sep 2011 - 10:09

Go with the Kurgan version Katsuhiko, i ran a similar warband myself and the bows can really help you out. Shooting will never be their strong side but the occasional hit from an arrow can mean the difference between him or you routing. The Marauders are a bit of a glass cannon, really strong on the offensive but with low staying power.
Back to top Go down
Katsuhiko JiNNai
Elder
Elder
Katsuhiko JiNNai

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   warband - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat 3 Sep 2011 - 10:28

Von Kurst wrote:
I am not familiar with the warband, but I love the names and the theme. What models will you be using?

I will do a Tzeentch warband, using an egyptian style, here the topics where I speak about my warband theme:
https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t2910-marauders-of-chaos-tzeentch
https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t2950-egyptian-arabian-fantasy-miniatures

I will use some Aegyptus and Reaper miniatures. For the warhounds I will use the kroot hounds from WH40k. They have a nice tzeentch look (vulture head).

I'm considering what use for a spawn (when and if I will include it). The Scarab ogre from Crocodile Games is nice, the hooked terror from Reaper could be fine too...

Horatius wrote:
Go with the Kurgan version Katsuhiko, i ran a similar warband myself and the bows can really help you out. Shooting will never be their strong side but the occasional hit from an arrow can mean the difference between him or you routing. The Marauders are a bit of a glass cannon, really strong on the offensive but with low staying power.

Thanks. So the missile weapons are important. It's sad that I must equip all my marauders with the same weapon, I hoped to include some marauders for hand to hand combat.

Last edited by Katsuhiko JiNNai on Sat 3 Sep 2011 - 11:34; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Horatius
Warlord
Warlord
Horatius

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   warband - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat 3 Sep 2011 - 11:21

No that is not what i meant, they are a close combat warband first and foremost. The shooting is just a bonus and levels the playing field against other close combat forces like beastmen who have higher toughness.
I played against beastmen and undead in my campaign, which are both tougher but hit just as hard - or nearly so in the case of the undead, the player used lots of ghouls.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   warband - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat 3 Sep 2011 - 13:03

Since I commented on them, I'm glad both of those threads are a couple of years old.

Don't worry that carrying a bow will cut down on your close combat effectiveness. You can carry 2 close combat weapons plus your dagger AND 2 different missile weapons with no penalty.
Back to top Go down
Katsuhiko JiNNai
Elder
Elder
Katsuhiko JiNNai

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   warband - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat 17 Sep 2011 - 10:28

Here my new Marauders of Chaos list. I read better the rule book and I found that if I include the Mark of Chaos undivided to my Seer, I can include 0-3 Gor. Later I will give a Mark of Tchar to my Leader.

Ancient Cult of Harakhthe the Great God Hawk, Master of the Change. (Kurgan)

NeRiGaL al-JiNN abd Harakhthe al Arabia, Chieftain w/hammer x2= 9101gc
Neferia Seer w/Mark of chaos undivided, w/ free dagger and hammer= 48gc
He'rur, Champion= w/free dagger and hammer= 48gc
Azura, Champion= w/free dagger and steel whip= 60gc
Shaitan, Condemned= 55gc
Amir, Marauder w/free dagger and bow= 45gc
Melchior, Marauder w/free dagger and bow= 45gc
Isis, Gor w/free dagger and mace= 38gc
4 Warhounds= 60gc

TOT= 500gc
Models= 12
Back to top Go down
Pararoxy
Youngblood
Youngblood
Pararoxy

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   warband - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat 22 Oct 2011 - 0:50

Hello Ladys and Gentlemen,

I am planing to recruit my Orc Mob and now thinking how to spend my precious fish LEAVE! NOW! AND NEVER COME BACK!

Goldcoins.

its 200 gcs for the 4 heroes and 200 gcs for my troll "Chili" (Bridge -> Under the -> Red Hot),

leaves 100 gcs for equipment and henchmen.

suggestions please. Wink Laughing

current calculations is sword and axe / 2 axes for heroes (shaman gets nothing) and 3 gobbos w. short bows for firepower (guys are not good at climbing)
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   warband - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat 22 Oct 2011 - 2:00

No gobbos! Goblins are worthless since they can't get LGT and that is what you need to succeed.

No lad, you are going to buy 2 Boyz. Just 2 but they are a start.

Then you are going to buy axes and clubs to start, or just clubs because they are cheep. Get the boss a bow because he is a good shot.

The troll is going to win or lose you your first games, so the Boss has to stay within 6" of him. The Boss has a bow in case there is something that needs shooting and the troll is stupid. If the troll is stupid your band has to stop of slow down so it might as well fill the air with arrows or at least shoot one arrow.

After your first game buy more Boyz and get another bow if you can. Boyz are more important.

Edit: Welcome to the forum! Go Green!
Back to top Go down
Pararoxy
Youngblood
Youngblood
Pararoxy

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   warband - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat 22 Oct 2011 - 3:17

can heroes get clubs? thought only henchmen have them on their list... Shocked
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   warband - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat 22 Oct 2011 - 3:48

One of the things I love about Da Mob list is that after several re-printings and independent hosting the list still doesn't include clubs for orcs even though it was erratted right after the list was written. Yes orcs and orc heroes can have clubs.TC #12, p. 41.

There is no seperate equipment list for orc heroes at least not on all the copies I have of the list.
Back to top Go down
Pararoxy
Youngblood
Youngblood
Pararoxy

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   warband - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat 22 Oct 2011 - 4:08

hm... very good Very Happy

saves money for CROSSBOWS - should see if i could afford the cross.... *sigh*

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   warband - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)
Page 5 of 16Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next