Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Starting Warbands - Help me choose!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sampson97
Youngblood
Youngblood
Sampson97

Trading Reputation : 0

Starting Warbands - Help me choose! Empty
PostSubject: Starting Warbands - Help me choose!   Starting Warbands - Help me choose! Icon_minitimeMon 30 May 2016 - 3:00

So with Summer coming, I already have my dwarf list in the works, and the Bretonnian one I need to decide on with the local club to see their opinions on it, but now I'm making another warband that I could interchange, and would give me a little difference to the dwarves also, so I can get a flavour of different warbands! They're all the official versions, but if I'm missing anything important (Say an addition to the rules I missed), let me know please!

Possessed Warband

Spoiler:

Witch Hunter List

Spoiler:

Orc Mob List

Spoiler:

Undead List

Spoiler:

Beastmen List

Spoiler:

Skaven List

Spoiler:

Last edited by Sampson97 on Tue 31 May 2016 - 0:54; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Starting Warbands - Help me choose!   Starting Warbands - Help me choose! Icon_minitimeMon 30 May 2016 - 5:21

Again all of these lists are decent.

Witch Hunters--I would equip the Captain with the crossbow, he's the best shot. Giving an expensive weapon to someone who is unlikely to hit anything with it is a waste. Otherwise this list is exactly how I start my Witch Hunter warbands.

Orc Mob--again nearly the exact copy of what I always do. I like trolls.

Undead--I don't like zombies. If you have more ghouls, I would drop zombies to get ghouls.

Beasts and skaven--well mainly skaven, halberds? Unless there is some house rule or WYSIWYG reason, I would drop the halberds for any hand weapon combination.

Back to top Go down
2704ENG
Captain
Captain
2704ENG

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Starting Warbands - Help me choose!   Starting Warbands - Help me choose! Icon_minitimeMon 30 May 2016 - 12:06

It's quite fun starting with the Troll in the Orc Mob list. I'd drop the sword/axe/additional clubs and just stick with the good old club/free dagger combo for your entire warband. Might give you enough gc for an extra Orc Boyz which will be huge for you given you only have 6 models.

The biggest issue I had with this build was that skilled players will simply avoid your warboss tethered to your troll. Also given your low model count you're going to struggle on certain objective based missions. Lastly it only takes 2 casualties for you to start taking rout tests. This is somewhat mitigated by the fact that you're T4 across the board but it only takes a few 6s to wound to wreck your day.

Zombies are good especially if you can get their spell that raises them on your necromancer. Their biggest flaw is their slow M which means they'll never keep up with your ghouls and vampire. I'd trade the spear on for a bow on your necromancer and just have the zombies as his bodyguard. Move 4 then shoot every turn. BS3 sucks and it'll mean you'll only be hitting on 6s but hey it happens!
Back to top Go down
bitxo
Knight
Knight
bitxo

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Carnival of Chaos (EIF) Carnival of Chaos (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: Starting Warbands - Help me choose!   Starting Warbands - Help me choose! Icon_minitimeMon 30 May 2016 - 12:25

Yeah, those are good lists. I'm giving you some feedback, specially on the skaven:

WH - I agree to trade the pistol+helmet the Captain has for the crossbow. Great list overall.
Undead - pretty much agree with Von Kurst. Also, 2 swords don't make sense unless your are using a house rule. If not, change one of them for a hammer, it saves you 7gc and gives you better bonus.
Skaven - Remove the helmet from your sorcerer, he can't use it, and take another verminkin instead the giant rat. Appart from that is pretty much ok, but consider getting a few slings to have at least a few ranged guys for support, specially if you face something that causes fear. I wouldn't give so much protection to the night runners also, you are spending as much gold as they cost on their equipment, I would wait till they are worthy, but it's ok if you leave it like that.

Personally, I like to use the Assassin for mid-range support, giving him a warlock pistol and aim to make him a pistolier, or the underrated throwing stars and aim to make him a furry Johann the knife. Your leader giving Ld support behind your first wave of verminkin works great with skaven, and with a spear he will be relatively safe in second row. I know it isn't a very popular take on the Assassin, but belive me it works great after a few matches, I've made skavens rout many times because their leader went OoA against two of my beardlings in hand to hand. I usually give him a sword, club, warlock pistol and sling to start with a guy more close combat oriented, and if he earns an advance and gets a skill, I take eagle eyes, give him a spear and give the sword and club to other guy, usually one of the night runners. With the sling he can shoot every turn, but only if we are not using the houserule that forbids you to carry more than one ranged weapon. If he gets A2 or R4 with the first advance,then I'd consider to keep him as close combat oriented, but most times you are getting +WS/BS or skills.

Last edited by bitxo on Mon 30 May 2016 - 19:43; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sampson97
Youngblood
Youngblood
Sampson97

PostSubject: Re: Starting Warbands - Help me choose!   Starting Warbands - Help me choose! Icon_minitimeMon 30 May 2016 - 14:27

So I made some of the changes to the lists like you all have recommended, but I'll make some points below also!

-I agree the zombies would've been too slow, and ghouls seem so much better than even three of them for nearly the same cost!

-I went rather barebones with the Verminkin cause fits the skaven profile! Just waves of troops coming after them, and I may take slings in the future, but I think the waves of rats will do for now (I hope). Also, I took halberds initially as they were available to skaven from where I've seen, and S5, initiative high black skaven ain't that bad! But yeh, more attacks does sound better!

-Beastmen is just a mob of T4 really, and halberds there to give them something against T4 dudes or even bigger dudes.

-Witch Hunters I do quite like! Got some nice toys, and all the dudes are rather decent in what they do, with even S6 on the first round for the flagellants, and three of them should be enough!

EDIT

I've also added a possessed warband to the lists, as they're a peculiar and tough looking bunch, and the possessed are damn right awesome it seems! Also beastmen are T4 with 2 wounds too? I'll gladly take that!
Back to top Go down
Caledore
Champion
Champion
Caledore

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Starting Warbands - Help me choose!   Starting Warbands - Help me choose! Icon_minitimeMon 30 May 2016 - 23:27

If you're looking for a really different playstyle from your dwarfs, skaven are definitely it. Fast, numerous, low leadership - compared to the dwarfs who are slow, low in number, and high leadership. The list looks good, although I think a few slings are a good idea just in case you need a little shooting. I definitely think fighting claws are a great choice, though the assassin's BS does go to waste since he can't carry other weapons. Not a big deal though...fighting claws are awesome enough to make up for it.

I'm personally biased towards witch hunters and the list looks good; not dissimilar to what I usually start with. Some go with all crossbows on the heroes (sans the warrior-priest) but personally I like a mix between crossbows and pistols. The crossbow is an excellent use of the captain's BS, but keep in mind that it probably means the warhounds won't benefit from his LD which could be an issue versus fear-causing enemies. I favor kitting him with a crossbow pistol and keeping him nearby, but it also means he's closer to danger so it's a trade-off.
Back to top Go down
Sampson97
Youngblood
Youngblood
Sampson97

PostSubject: Re: Starting Warbands - Help me choose!   Starting Warbands - Help me choose! Icon_minitimeTue 31 May 2016 - 1:01

I would consider out of all the lists, the ones I prefer the most would certainly be (not in order) : The Witch Hunters, Orcs, and Skaven! Honestly they're also the easiest one for me to make I believe, as they still have the majority of the models I need, and aren't on the Last Chance to Buy (Or plentiful on ebay). With the Skaven, all I need is the Gutter Runner trio, the Night Runner box (which itself is fantastic), some sorcerer and a few metals. The Orcs, perhaps a savage box, with a troll, easily done! (Though depends how I'd like my orcs to look!). Finally the Witch Hunters; Tempted to get the huntsmen box (Also good if I decide to go mercenaries), couple of the heroes still on site, flagellants from site/ebay and dogs from somewhere (The Mastiffs from Warlord look grand!).

Also, took one Verminkin out, and almost all the dudes have slings now, oh good! XD But thank you for the help anyhow! And did the crossbow pistol, as still S4, can shoot any turn, and has an extra attack at S4, -2AS at BS which is great (So essentially hitting on 3's, wounding on 3/4's).
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Starting Warbands - Help me choose!   Starting Warbands - Help me choose! Icon_minitimeTue 31 May 2016 - 6:54

The great thing about the night runner box is that it is the old Mordheim sprue, so it literally has everything you need to make a skaven warband in it. (Except a rat ogre and giant rats). Heroes are easy enough to bash together with the bitz making it a cheap warband,

The Empire Huntsmen box is the new go to for Empire warbands of any type because of the usefulness of the poses, bodies and heads. If the bitz sites are still running you can cobble together weapons choices from there. I do recommend the flagellant box as well if you can afford it because of all the bitz for Witch Hunters and the usefulness of the bodies and heads in other warbands down the line.
Back to top Go down
bitxo
Knight
Knight
bitxo

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Carnival of Chaos (EIF) Carnival of Chaos (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: Starting Warbands - Help me choose!   Starting Warbands - Help me choose! Icon_minitimeTue 31 May 2016 - 11:50

I don't know if it's avaliable in stores outside of Europe, but MOM Miniatures has released cheap resin Empire characters. They look fantastic to make Mercenary heroes:
http://www.momminiaturas.com/divine-rage/hijos-del-grifo/
Five halberdiers for 5€ is an awesome deal for a henchmen group, also. If you get that Huntsmen box to make marksmen and swordsmen, you will have a complete warband with all choices.

Now that old Free Company Empire box is so difficult to find, Nightrunners are probably the cheapest way to make a band.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starting Warbands - Help me choose!   Starting Warbands - Help me choose! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Starting Warbands - Help me choose!
Page 1 of 1