Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)

Go down 
+98
Csilva
ryryak
Rhydderch
Heretical
Lorka
Dapper
MagicJuggler
Sampson97
Citizen Sade
The Hobo Hunter
2704ENG
Yodhrin
Athanatosz
bitxo
mitokun
Calimbandil
Lord 0
Braddoc
FioredeiLiberi
Nordheim
Ranez
Grimscull
floedebolle
MasterSpark
Caledore
Josiah_Blessed
wrinklestiltskin
xarly22
Darthvegeta800
butthole_serfdom
DB 2.0
NoisyAssassin
beninator
Pikey
Aipha
avarua
Arathorn
Captain Ludwig of Altdorf
Mayonnaise
Pan Domingo
totzro
Jonadams2
Vagabond
qazbnm
BigD
Drut
tuxedokman
Nasse
HumanFly
WarbossKurgan
havre
Spectre76
brokenv
Pervavita
chaos wolf
aviphysics
plainoldandrew
Plutz
Lucas Blackwolf
Pilgrim Pod
Per
Pararoxy
Katsuhiko JiNNai
xlins
siredge
luckyjoe
Dribble Joy
Montegue
Eliazar
Pfreck
Soulblight
Bjornur
TreGod
felixjaeger
Alcaeus
Alex
BeanoMcsheff
Valtiel
Colonel_kex
Horatius
CountBale
Edyy
Rhoaran
smokezombie
jkeg
Commander Von Drake
BalrogTheBuff
Odin Morgrimmsson
Von Kurst
Louis
caratacos
SerialMoM
folketsfiende
Vissah
Saranor
Nexie
Skavenslayer
Dahag
102 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
Dahag
Warlord
Warlord
Dahag

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) Icon_minitimeFri 18 Mar 2011 - 12:26

may I please get some comments on my list? I know it's rather a rare warband but as I am playing my first game tomorrow already, it would be nice to get a few comments until then...
Back to top Go down
Skavenslayer
General
General
Skavenslayer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) Icon_minitimeFri 18 Mar 2011 - 12:56

@Dahag

It looks good, onlly think i would change is drop the 3 helmet og buy 2 dogs, giving you 13 models (is the warband limited to 12 or 15 models?)

And maby change the shileds on the acolyts to hammers, giving more attacks.
You problay play with the 5+ armor save from shields, but sometimes i like more attacks Very Happy -it will also give the 2nd crusader a hammer insted of the dagger.

-Skavenslayer
Back to top Go down
Dahag
Warlord
Warlord
Dahag

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) Icon_minitimeFri 18 Mar 2011 - 13:20

thanks for the reply Smile

I forgot to mention: we play that two handweapons suffer a -1 to hit penalty and shields grant +1 if wielded in combination with handweapons. Hence my obsession with shields Smile

the limit of the warband is 15, so going up to 6 dogs would therefore be possible (which is excaclty the amount of dogs I have model-wise Smile )

So you wouldn't go for archers right away neither, would you? (cost 35gc + 15gc with longbow)...

btw. I plan to take the spell "hammer of sigmar" for my priest as we houseruled that casters may choose their very first spell (for further spells, they roll a dice as usual).
Back to top Go down
Skavenslayer
General
General
Skavenslayer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) Icon_minitimeFri 18 Mar 2011 - 13:39

We play with the -1 to his with 2hand weapons, but some times l prefer more attacks.
When my group first started playing with the house rules, i got all shields, but found that a good mix is best Very Happy

I wuld wait with the shooters, my rule of thumb regarting shooters is: go big or go home - i say get a minium af 2-3 suport shooters Very Happy

-Skavenslayer
Back to top Go down
Dahag
Warlord
Warlord
Dahag

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) Icon_minitimeFri 18 Mar 2011 - 19:04

thanks for your advice. Tonight I'll do my final corrections on the list. more attacks sounds great. even at -1 to hit ... Smile
Back to top Go down
Nexie
Youngblood
Youngblood
Nexie

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011 - 12:08

*Scrapped for now* No

Last edited by Nexie on Sat 26 Mar 2011 - 12:32; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Saranor
Warlord
Warlord
Saranor

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Shadow Warriors (Unofficial) Shadow Warriors (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011 - 12:15

First you should get ALL available heroes (i think you miss some of them).

i would only get 1 blunderbuss at the start. A Blunderbuss gives you only 1 shot, so you should have a second range weapon in your arsenal, which can shoot more often,

Later you can go for another Blunderbuss as Backup.

Toughened Leather is without houserules not worth its price. S4 or an Axe can ignore this armor. Perhaps later you can get these Armors for more WYSIWYG, but i would just ignore armor other than gromril+shield.
Back to top Go down
Nexie
Youngblood
Youngblood
Nexie

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011 - 14:35

Looking at the warband list for pirates, the last two heroes are cheaper but worse than regular crew, which is why I left them out - their ability to gain skills and such are your reason for suggesting this?

Good point on the blunderbusses - I had missed the part where they said one shot only. I'm thinking I may just ask the others to houserule them as bows, since guns are more of a pirate fit, whereas bows make me think feudal Japan (on boats).

The way I see it, Toughened Leather is my only option of getting any armour with my current band of scurvy pirates (WYSIWYG), aside from giving them a buckler at most. And since their warband list doesn't include heavier armour, I can't see how it hurts to get that small extra save bonus.

(But I could ofcourse be completely wrong - I'm still chewing through the core book and errata)
Back to top Go down
Saranor
Warlord
Warlord
Saranor

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Shadow Warriors (Unofficial) Shadow Warriors (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011 - 14:48

heroes give you income. As soon as henchmen advance to heroes you will perhaps dump these weak heroes, but until then, you need the money they give you.

you get a 6+ armorsave for 5 gold.
if you get 5 pieces toughened leather armor you spend 25 gold. For 25 gold you get another henchmen with dagger. He can attack, and your enemy has to hit&wound him. So this way another henchmen ist mostly a better "armor" than most equipment. And if you wound with a natural 6 you ignore the 6+ armor save... (there is more to explain with the game mechanics, which are making armor bad, but it would go to far in the rules, if you just startet with mordheim)

If you have no other option for armor, you should ignore the armor and go for offensive (and thats more pirate style).
Back to top Go down
Vissah
Veteran
Veteran
Vissah

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011 - 15:18

Can some of the experienjced Dwarf players maybe give me some tips on my starting Dwarf warband.

As you can see Im playing Orcs and doing pretty good with them but I want to try something else that plays different then the Orcs and Im getting a bit sick of animosity.

This is what I been thinking of to start with:

Noble
Dwarf Axe
Axe

Engineer
Crossbow
Hammer x2

Slayer x2
Axe x 2

Clansmen
Hammer x2

Thunderer x2
Crossbow
Hammer x2

Do you think this is a good warband to start with or do you got some other tips and tactics for me Very Happy

Thanx Very Happy
Back to top Go down
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
folketsfiende

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011 - 15:48

Vissah wrote:
Do you think this is a good warband to start with or do you got some other tips and tactics for me Very Happy
If possible you should get nine models, there's a world of difference between two or three models gone before having to take rout tests.

When it comes to tactics, I think you should go for lots of crossbows in the long run. Hammer is the best hw choice, so keep using them. Don't be too worried about being charged. Low M and I will probably mean that you strike last as a rule, so you might want to equip a couple of dwarves with 2hw as well (no need to wait for Strongman!)
Back to top Go down
Saranor
Warlord
Warlord
Saranor

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011 - 15:53

try to climb up something early in the game and get a good shooting position. From there wait. the enemy should either need to climb himself and cant swarm you or he has to use a narrow passage and cant swarm you. And from this you should think "M4 is faster than M3, but not faster than a crossbowbolt".
A shooting duell against you is mostly at your favour, because T4 and hard to kill.
Back to top Go down
Vissah
Veteran
Veteran
Vissah

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011 - 18:59

Thanx for the tips guys Very Happy

I play Orcs so Im used to striking last in CC.
Also what I been reading is that it is good to give your Dwarfs helmets as fast as you can to utilise there hard to kill rule even better.
Back to top Go down
Saranor
Warlord
Warlord
Saranor

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011 - 19:41

Helmets are very good for dwarfs. You should give it to the thunderes. Range fighters get more out of it. If you just go down instead of stunned you can shoot your next turn without penalty.
Back to top Go down
Vissah
Veteran
Veteran
Vissah

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011 - 20:29

Thanx never thought of that Very Happy

Ok then I got one last question what is a good amount of Thunderers to have?
I know you need to find a good balance between firepower and CC capabilities.

I was thinking og etting about 3 to 4 Thunderers and my Engineer as a firebase and fill the rest out with the Noble, the Slayers and Clansmen.
Back to top Go down
SerialMoM
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
SerialMoM

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011 - 22:09

3 crossbows at the start is fine.

I would throw out the dwarven axe of the leader and the clansman to bring in two beardlings.

Maybe you can spare some more to bring in a third one, with hammer and dagger of course.

Really nice is also the halfing scout as hired sword.

He is cheap has a nice range attack, and can become really fast with the right skills.
Back to top Go down
Saranor
Warlord
Warlord
Saranor

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011 - 8:15

i like to use a wardog after the first games. M6 is a nice thing in a dwarfen warband.
25gold +D6, rarity 10
Back to top Go down
caratacos
Hero
Hero
caratacos

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) Icon_minitimeSat 26 Mar 2011 - 10:09

Since we (my gaming group) are fairly new to Mordheim, we decided to restart our campaign. Some will change warbands, and so will I.

This time I will use Reiklander Mercenaries. I have the models, and currently don't feel like converting them. I will leave that for later. So I will present what I have, and my thoughts on how to start. And then I would like your opionions on what I can change - considering what models I do have, and without converting them. Thus, What I have is what I get Wink

Captain
Sword, Dagger, Crossbow
(Also wears Light Armour and shield, but I will maybe add that later)
/95 GC

Champion
Sword, Dagger, Pistol
(Hardened leathers, but will maybe add that later)
/60 GC

Champion
Sword, Dagger, Pistol
/60 GC

Youngblood
Dagger, Crossbow
/40

Youngblood
Dagger, Crossbow
/40

Heroes total: 295 GC

3 Marksmen
Longbow
(Also wears Light armour & Helmet, will add that later)
/120 GC

3 Marksmen
Crossbow
(Also wears Light armour, shield & Helmet, will add that later)
/150 GC

1 Marksman
Hunting Rifle
Helmet
/235

3 Swordsmen
Sword, Dagger & Buckler
(Also wears light armour, will be added later)
/150 GC

2 Swordsmen
Sword, Dagger & Buckler
(Also wears light armour, will be added later)
/100 GC

My starting warband
Captain - 95
2 Champions - 120
2 Youngbloods - 80
2 Marksmen with Crossbows - 100
2 Swordsmen - 100
/495 GC in total

Please comment this starting warband.

Back to top Go down
Louis
Captain
Captain
Louis

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) Icon_minitimeSat 26 Mar 2011 - 11:29

Looks like a nice starting warband.

IMO it's a tat overkill with crossbows for BS2 youngbloods, and you could exchange all crosbows in the warband for more marksmen and bows.
But if you want to use models with crossbows, then it's all good. thumbsup

Good luck with your new campain.
Back to top Go down
Nexie
Youngblood
Youngblood
Nexie

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) Icon_minitimeSat 26 Mar 2011 - 13:57

I went back and redid most of my warband to suit the suggestions I've received here. Whaddya think?
(Again - I am partially bound by WYSIWYG, since I am not comfortable with chopping up my models and changing their weapons - yet)

Captain 60
Dueling Pistol Brace 60
Cutlass 10

Mate1 35 (Tank material?)
Two-Handed Hammer 15

Mate2 35 (For some added range combat as suggested)
Crossbow 25
Cutlass 10

CabinBoy1 15 (Hero filler)
Cutlass 10
Pistol 15

CabinBoy2 15 (More Hero Filler)
Cutlass 10
Pistol 15

Gunner 25 (Sniper - needs a bigger melee weapon when blunderbuss empty?)
Blunderbuss 30
Dagger 0

2Boatswains 64 (Instead of regular crew - I like their climbing rules, for flanking or high ground support)
Cutlass 20
Pistol 30
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) Icon_minitimeSun 27 Mar 2011 - 14:53

Climbing crew are indeed handy. The warband would be better written if the ropes were part of the equipment list for all pirates. Ah well.

How WYSIWYG do you have to be? I draw the line at paying 15-20 dollars for a model I intend to mutilate, er, improve. For example you have no long range threat. I'd add a couple of crossbows after the first scrap if I could.
Back to top Go down
Nexie
Youngblood
Youngblood
Nexie

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) Icon_minitimeSun 27 Mar 2011 - 15:18

Yeah - the equipment list seems a little restricted when you read it through - ropes would be awesome for everyone.

It depends on the amount of bits and weapons I can manage to scrape together - the models I have decided on (at the moment atleast) all have a pistol and a cutlass on them. (with a couple of exceptions, but those are easy to fix).

The problem - as I see it, is that Pirates are very gunpowder heavy. You start giving them crossbows, and the salty seadog theme kind of falls apart. I might buy some additional models to sneak in as hired swords (elf ranger?) and some assassins as crew with crossbows. So that might be the way to go, I think. Smile
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) Icon_minitimeSun 27 Mar 2011 - 15:30

Aye, the crossbows take it down a bit, but we go heavy on the pistols, blunderbusses and a swivel to balance. The elf is a bit of a pixy. My crews hire the Tilean Marksman right off if the warband mix includes T4 things.

One of the best campaigns we did was our first Sartosa campaign. It featured lots of human bands armed with handguns. We fired volleys then advanced as the gunners reloaded. Then some damned elfs showed up and out came the crossbows.
Back to top Go down
Odin Morgrimmsson
Hero
Hero
Odin Morgrimmsson

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) Icon_minitimeMon 28 Mar 2011 - 14:04

Hi Guys,

This is my first post and I'm just looking for some feedback on an Undead Warband I'm planning. I'm well aware that this is not an 'optimum' set-up, but I'm more interested in using cool models and having them match the background I'm writing for them than I am in winning every game. Having said that, I'd like to be reasonably competetive so hopefully this list isn't too weak. I still have some cash to spend and I'm not sure what to spend it on. All feedback welcome!

Istvan (Vampire) 110+25
- great weapon, bow, dagger

The Physican (Necromancer) 35
- dagger

Lucius (Dreg) 20+20
- sword, bow, dagger

Titus (Dreg) 20+15
- great weapon, dagger

Fudge (Dreg) 20+3
- club, dagger

Brutus, Iago & Caliban (3 Ghouls) 120

Demetrius & Chiron (2 Ghouls) 80

TOTAL (so far): 468
Back to top Go down
Louis
Captain
Captain
Louis

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) Icon_minitimeMon 28 Mar 2011 - 16:20

Welcome to the forum Odin Morgrimmsson! Very Happy

From your comment I understand that you don't want to change their equipment.
So apart from that, the list looks fine. 10 members gives good number for rout test (though you might as well be 12 for wyrdstone value). Max number of heroes. thumbsup

I would probably spend the last gold on two zombies for meat shield.
You could even sell one of the ghouls, and Lucius' sword, and buy 4 additional zombies.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)
Page 1 of 16Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next