Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchRegisterBlogLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16
AuthorMessage
Wolfram

Wolfram

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers
Achievements earned: none

Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 16 Icon_minitimeMon 7 Oct 2019 - 22:32

Hi, all.  I've been playing Mordheim on Tabletop Simulator a bit and yesterday I purchased a box of Empire State Troops to start playing "for real."  I'm looking at building the following Middenheim mercenary list out of the box to start with:

++ Warband (MiddenHeim Mercinaries) [500pts] ++

+ Heroes +

Champion [45pts]: 8x Experience
. Equipment: Axe, Shield

Champion [45pts]: 8x Experience
. Equipment: Axe, Shield

Mercenary Captain [120pts]: 20x Experience
. Equipment: Axe, Dueling Pistol, Light Armor, Shield

+ Henchmen +

Swordsmen [50pts]
. Equipment: Buckler, Sword

Swordsmen [50pts]

Swordsmen [50pts]

Swordsmen [50pts]

Swordsmen [50pts]

Warriors [40pts]: Promoted, Skills
. Equipment: Shield, Spear

+ Stash +

Stash: 91x Warband  Rating

++ Total: [500pts] ++

(I mostly took axes on the Champions for the cumulative -2 save modifier when coupled with the S4 they get for being Middenheimers, and the dueling pistol so that I have at least some ranged firepower; hopefully the accuracy will make up for the lack of fire volume.)
Does this seem like a good direction to start with?
Back to top Go down
Leavhon
Youngblood
Youngblood
Leavhon

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue 8 Oct 2019 - 12:13

9+ models ... check.
Ranged weapon assigned to BS 4+ ... check.
Swordsmen ... check.
Full starting heroes ... missing.

I politely suggest you to hire a couple of youngbloods, they're essential in exploration: give a bow/spear/sword to each one and you can have both for 50 Gc, the same cost of a single swordsman.
Back to top Go down
bitxo
Knight
Knight
bitxo

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Oct 2019 - 1:19

Yep, always taking the complete set of heroes is pretty much a nº1 rule in Mordheim when setting up you warband list. I will tell you how I would run that list, if you don't mind.

The main issue I see with this list is it's a close combat warband with close to none shooting and no cheap cannon fodder. You definitely need them, both to approach shooting bands, and hold charges of close combat bands, or every casualty made by enemy marksmen or charging beasts (possessed, brutes, vampire...) will hit hard your wallet (two dead 50gc swordsmen in the after game would be a huge blow). Keep also in mind spears aren't that useful on I3 warriors, the revised rulebook says that spears strike first, but the charging model strikes first also, so anything with I4 hits you first despite the spear, and against I3 enemies you have to roll a dice.

If you want to keep the full close combat concept, I would drop some equipment like the spear, shields, and specially those bucklers that aren't that useful (start getting all of those after the first or second game), one less swordsmen, and get at least 3 or 4 warriors with just one hammer for 28gc to act as your meat-shield, then charge with the swordsmen from the back line. Since you got an Empire State Troops box, I guess that's the reason you want so many swords and axes, but making some of those into hammer wielders should be an easy conversion. Your youngbloods should work great as sweepers with halberds, charging knocked or stunned enemies to get exp points and develop fast. They end up being better fighters than champions after 2 or 3 games, since they develop much faster.

Good luck with your warband! that box has some nice looking models that perfectly fit Mordheim's setting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 16 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)
Page 16 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16