Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Quick shot and multiple targets

Go down 
+5
mweaver
Hrok
Lord 0
Mephysto
Von Kurst
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

Quick shot and multiple targets Empty
PostSubject: Quick shot and multiple targets   Quick shot and multiple targets Icon_minitimeSat 16 Apr 2011 - 17:45

This may be easy to answer but I can not find the rule.  Can you pick 2 targets for your quick shooting hero to hit? (one shot at each)

EDIT: See also
https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t6259-multiple-shots-from-1-model

The relevant FAQ is the 2005 Rules Review, pp. 14-5.

Last edited by Von Kurst on Mon 1 Feb 2016 - 17:52; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mephysto
Veteran
Veteran
Mephysto

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Quick shot and multiple targets   Quick shot and multiple targets Icon_minitimeSat 16 Apr 2011 - 18:07

I do not remember any rule that would forbid it (neither in the Shooting nor in the Skills section, at least), so as long as both targets are eligible per the rules of target acquisition (closest models not in cover or shooting from an elevated position &c.), I would surely allow it. Smile
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Quick shot and multiple targets   Quick shot and multiple targets Icon_minitimeSun 17 Apr 2011 - 2:02

The interpretation we use in my circle is this:

Quickshot allows you to 'shoot' twice.
Shooting consists of: you pick a target, roll to hit, roll to wound, then resolve any injuries.
So with quick shot you would pick a target, roll to hit, roll to wound, resolve any injuries, and then do it all again. Nowhere does it say anything about being forced to choose the same target so we allow that you may pick a different target.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Quick shot and multiple targets   Quick shot and multiple targets Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011 - 16:33

Thanks for the replies guys. I thought there was an FAQ but I couldn't find one.
Back to top Go down
Hrok
Hero
Hero
Hrok

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Quick shot and multiple targets   Quick shot and multiple targets Icon_minitimeThu 28 Apr 2011 - 6:53

Don't you have to shoot the closest guy?
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Quick shot and multiple targets   Quick shot and multiple targets Icon_minitimeThu 28 Apr 2011 - 6:57

Not always. Not if you are elevated, not if a more distant target is easier to hit, and not if there is a more distant large target.
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Quick shot and multiple targets   Quick shot and multiple targets Icon_minitimeThu 28 Apr 2011 - 13:29

I think you are right that it was in a FAQ somewhere, because I do remember the answer - you chose your target for shot #1, resolve that shot, and then chose your target for shot #2.
Back to top Go down
Ordo Septenarius
Warlord
Warlord
Ordo Septenarius

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Quick shot and multiple targets   Quick shot and multiple targets Icon_minitimeThu 28 Apr 2011 - 20:12

My question regarding this is different.

So often in games, people with multiple shots will shoot something until dead, then move to the next target if they have shots left. It's really meta-gamey, and I don't like it. Gunfire happens fast, and furthermore, you wouldn't know if your target is dead or dead-enough to within the span of 5 seconds to move to the next target.

I think my question is this: Do you have to declare which shots go where beforehand? That is, realistically, you'd have in mind that you're going to separate your shots before you shoot, not meta-gamily shoot one target until it's dead or OOA, then move to the next one. You could then feasible have a more real situation where you'd shoot target one, and he'd tough it out or make and armor save, and is unharmed, but the second shot is already declared on the next target. This bothers me about multiple attacks in H2H, too, sometimes (situationally dependent, though).

This always bothered me, and still does, in RPGs. Another one is dodging gunfire. Why would one be allowed to dodge only after they see if they're hit or not? Someone's leveling a gun at you, and you decide to jump out of the way. Dodging only after a successful to-hit roll is scored seems backward, unintuitive and gamey.

Back to top Go down
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
BalrogTheBuff

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Quick shot and multiple targets   Quick shot and multiple targets Icon_minitimeThu 28 Apr 2011 - 20:21

Dodge is a special saving throw so game mechanics wise it makes sense to have it be a reaction to a successful hit. Speeds up the rolling in my experience. And we always have played you declare all shots or attacks in melee before any rolling to hit. It speeds up the game and feels more smooth. But quickshot is supposed to be representing an extreem level of skill. I would allow the skill to shoot once then pick the second shot's target based on that. But things like a Sling that get multiple shots without a skill I would make pick targets beforehand.
Back to top Go down
Schoel
Knight
Knight
Schoel

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Quick shot and multiple targets   Quick shot and multiple targets Icon_minitimeThu 28 Apr 2011 - 20:27

Ordo Septenarius wrote:
My question regarding this is different.

So often in games, people with multiple shots will shoot something until dead, then move to the next target if they have shots left. It's really meta-gamey, and I don't like it. Gunfire happens fast, and furthermore, you wouldn't know if your target is dead or dead-enough to within the span of 5 seconds to move to the next target.

I think my question is this: Do you have to declare which shots go where beforehand? That is, realistically, you'd have in mind that you're going to separate your shots before you shoot, not meta-gamily shoot one target until it's dead or OOA, then move to the next one. You could then feasible have a more real situation where you'd shoot target one, and he'd tough it out or make and armor save, and is unharmed, but the second shot is already declared on the next target. This bothers me about multiple attacks in H2H, too, sometimes (situationally dependent, though).

This always bothered me, and still does, in RPGs. Another one is dodging gunfire. Why would one be allowed to dodge only after they see if they're hit or not? Someone's leveling a gun at you, and you decide to jump out of the way. Dodging only after a successful to-hit roll is scored seems backward, unintuitive and gamey.

I see your point. However, this would in many cases force everyone to shoot at the closest target. If that target has died along the way, what would then happen to the rest of your shots? Would they all be wasted?

Archers are smart enough to not all pick the same target, perhaps from experience or from talking things through a few seconds before they fire.

Declaring each shot beforehand takes a lot of time if you have a lot of archers (say in Reiklanders or Shadow Warriors) and it's also quite hard to remember where you said you'd shoot with 10 -12 guys.

So, to ease game play (and also, in my opinion, to make things MORE logical) let them declare one at a time and shoot one at a time.
Back to top Go down
Ordo Septenarius
Warlord
Warlord
Ordo Septenarius

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Quick shot and multiple targets   Quick shot and multiple targets Icon_minitimeThu 28 Apr 2011 - 23:07

Good point on the multiple firers.

I suppose the same could be said about having 7 archers. Realistically, they'd all pick targets and shoot; allowing archer one to pick, shoot and resolve and then repeat that 6 times could cause many, many more times the casualties than if all had to pick at the beginning (with dead targets just being wasted shots), but I guess I am overthinking things.

Back to top Go down
playtable
Ancient
Ancient
playtable

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Quick shot and multiple targets   Quick shot and multiple targets Icon_minitimeFri 29 Apr 2011 - 6:16

Quote from the on-line rulebook (p.13):

"Work through the models one at a time. Pick which
fighter is going to shoot, nominate his target, work
out whether he hits the enemy and, if he does, any
wounds or injuries that are caused. Then continue
with the next shooter. You can take shots in any order
you wish. Be sure to remember or note down which
models have already shot."

Pretty easy. Pick one shooter at a time and work out what happens.
No where does it say anything about decaring any shots except the one shooting at the time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quick shot and multiple targets   Quick shot and multiple targets Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Quick shot and multiple targets
Page 1 of 1