Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Louis' skaven log

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Louis
Captain
Captain
Louis

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

Louis' skaven log Empty
PostSubject: Louis' skaven log   Louis' skaven log Icon_minitimeThu 10 Mar 2011 - 17:45

So we just startet a new campain in my gaming group, and I thought I would try a new warband too.
I think the skavens are very "Mordheimy", and no one in the group has been playing them so far. So I placed the old witch hunters on the shelves, and startet assembling some rats fra mainly the night runner sprues, and from my friends bitz box.

My starting warband looked like this (as I recall it):
Assassin Adept - sword & brace of warplock pistols - 140gc
Black Skaven - sword & sling - 52gc
Black Skaven – sword, sling & buckler - 57gc
Eshin Sorcerer (gnawdoom) - Spear - 55gc
Night Runner - club & sling - 25gc
Night Runner - club & sling - 25gc
4x Verminkin - club & sling - 100gc
3x Giant Rats - 45gc

Total - 499gc and 13 members
Warband Rating: 109

I know warplock pistols was a bit deluxe, but they are rather hard to find later, and with the leaders BS4 and Perfect Killer they would come to good use I hoped.

The first game was a multiplayer against all the four others of the group. Dark Elves, Gunnery School of Nuln, Sisters og Sigmar and Dwarf Treasure Hunters. And we rolled a normal skirmish.

The Sisters started out spamming 15 Shocked sling wielding nuns at me. I guess thats a taste of my own medicine. Razz
The dark elves and gun school came at me on the other flank, and so i cunningly routed in 3rd turn.

Even though I had all my 6 heroes for seaching, I rolled pourly, and with heavy permanent loses, it was very bad income. I did though mannage to boost my numbers to 15 with giant rats.

The new list looked like this (as I recal):
Assassin Adept - sword & brace of warplock pistols
Black Skaven - sword & sling
Black Skaven – sword, sling & buckler
Eshin Sorcerer (gnawdoom) - Spear
Night Runner - club & sling
3x Verminkin - club & sling
6x Giant Rats

Warband Rating: 128

I really wanted to have bought lucky charms and rabbits feet for my heroes, and maybe a holy relic, for not routing so soon, but the fund was not sufficient...

The next battle was a 2-player vs gun school.
We draw opponents at random, after complete post battle sequence (so that that you cannot prepare for a specific enemy).

We rolled the chance encounter, and I got to set up first.
His warband includes a very deadly marksman sniper group, so I choose the deployment zone, that would give him the worst sniper positions, and then deployed in good cover with all my rats.

His Marksmen was positioned very close,to my rats, and very far from his other men, and I eyed a chance to get up and personal with them. But it included a slightly daring jump over gaps, with a 10” drop. And since I choose to roll 6's for the first 3 rats to make the jump (taking 2 of them OoA), I choose to skip the plan, and just hide and wait for his heroes, who where advancing towards me on street level. I lost another rat to his shooting allso.

With all my focus on outmanouvering his heroes, and staying out of sight of his marksmen, I actually mannaged to make him split up his heroes, and I was just ready for a ”sure-win” ambush on his leader, when i lost the last rat needed for the rout test.

And so, once again, secreting the musk of fear, and make safe return to the lair, with one hero and 3 henchmen out of action, and no warp-loot from the scenario.

I did however get good (average) income from the exploration, despite having only 5 dice.
My hero recovered, but must miss the next battle, and only one of the henchmen (a giant rat) died from the injuries.

On xp-advances, I had level up with my night runners, and just my luck, they rolled LD and I respectively.
My verminkin allso advanced, but rolled A. A really nice advance for a henchmen group I think.

I bought a lucky charm, some rabbits feet and a toughened leather. And I bought another rat for my verminkin group.

So my list currently looks like this:
Assassin Adept - sword & brace of warplock pistols – lucky charm, rabbits foot & foughened leather.
Black Skaven - sword & sling
Black Skaven – sword, sling & buckler
Eshin Sorcerer (gnawdoom) - Spear – rabbits foot
4x Verminkin - club & sling
5x Giant Rats

Warband Rating: 139

After next battle my black skavens and sorcerer are sure to advance, so I'm looking very much forward to that. I allso hope to afford more charms, feet an leathers for my rats. Just to give a litle more protection.

My long term goals are to get eagle eye, pistolier, knife fighter and throwing knives for my assassin, art of silent death and fighting claws for a black skaven, and then I relly want to try out the blowpibe with the other black skaven, probably with eagle eyes and trickshooter.
My sorcerer will use his skill advances for spells mainly i think.
And then i just strive towards maxing out my numbers.
I'm still considering saving up for a rat ogre, but I don't really know about that.

My next battle will be a multy-player vs all the others. I'll be back when it's done.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

Louis' skaven log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Louis' skaven log   Louis' skaven log Icon_minitimeFri 11 Mar 2011 - 5:12

Thanks for the reports! I'm always interested in how Mordheim plays and the mix of warbands in other campaigns. Any chance of photos? Smile
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

Louis' skaven log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Louis' skaven log   Louis' skaven log Icon_minitimeFri 11 Mar 2011 - 12:39

Thanks for posting. It's interesting watching a War Band progress or not in a campaign setting. Keep us updated on your adventures. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Louis
Captain
Captain
Louis

Personal Info

Louis' skaven log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Louis' skaven log   Louis' skaven log Icon_minitimeSun 13 Mar 2011 - 19:07

Thanks for the comments! It's nice to know I'm not just doing this for my self! Smile
There might be photos soon. At least of the next battles.

So we played a multy-player. We rolled Monster Hunt with a hippogriph. I became the first to deploy. So without knowing where the others would go I choose a spot from where I could climb a tower, and gain entrance to the monsters lair from a walkway. I wanted to wake the monster ealy on, so the gunschool, and perhaps dwarfs (the two most shooty warbands) could get to shoot at the monster, and so that I would be around to claim spoils, when it died.
But the problem was that there wasn't any terrain in any of the deployment-zones, meaning that I was quite vulnerable from both flanks.
The dwarfs was seccond to deplpoy, and took the opportunity to get into action with my rats. Fortuanately I got the first turn.
I considered to skip my plan, and run away from him, out of sight of his crossbows. But that would send me in the arms of the dark elves on my other flank, and I couldn't hope to outrun them. So I charged the dwarfs with everything I had. Except 3 rats who there just wasn't room for.
The combat lasted for 3 rounds, I took one of him out of action, and he took 4 of my henchmen, and my leader. For the rout test I rolled 12 (once again), and skipped off (once again in turn 3).
I was sad about the outcome. I really hap hoped to do better despite his T4, since I almost outnumbered him 2:1, and had 3 A2 models in the fight. But I just couldn't roll the 6 for OoA.

However I did rather ok on the post battle sequence. My leader got -1M, but that was all the losses I suffered. And going from 6 to 5 isn't that bad. I found alot of wyrdstone and a helmet, and both my black skaven and my sorcerer got an advance roll.
The sorcerer and a blavk skaven rolled skills, and I choose another spell (rolled sorcerer's curse) and art of silent death respectively.
My other black skaven got +1BS, as I want to make him a bit shooty.

I continued to stall my recruting, and bought minor stuff for my heroes. Oh and fighting claws for my black skaven! Smile

I find rabbits feet and lucky charms to be quite valuable items.

My current warband looks like this:
Assassin Adept - sword, brace of warplock pistols & helmet – lucky charm, rabbits foot & toughened leathers
Black Skaven (art of silent death) – fighting claws – rabbits foot & toughened leathers
Black Skaven – 2 swords & sling – rabbits foot & toughened leathers
Eshin Sorcerer (gnawdoom & sorcerer's curse) – spear & sling – rabbits foot
4x Verminkin (2A) - club & sling
5x Giant Rats

Any more c&c is very welcome!
Back to top Go down
Louis
Captain
Captain
Louis

Personal Info

Louis' skaven log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Louis' skaven log   Louis' skaven log Icon_minitimeThu 17 Mar 2011 - 19:56

Yesterday we played a multy-player all of us. We rolled the Ambush scenario, and the dark elves became the defender in the middle with 10 wyrdstone pieces. Lucky for him, he had just gotten the skill "hunch" after last battle, so he could place 3 heroes (with 8 wyrdstone between them) in a building near a table-edge, that none of us attackers controlled. So he actually won on turn 1, and there was nothing we could do about it.
But since he couldn't get all of the stones off, we had to play until he did, or at least 10 turns. And it became the later.
But it went really well for me at the beginning. I started between the sisters and the gun school, but with some very good positions. I took one out from each warband, but then it began to go wrong. I started to loose henchrats to the sisters. Actually it took him about 2 turns to take all my 9 henchrats OoA.
And on my other flank, I choose not to risk my heroes.

It was nice, however, not to rout in turn 3, and I felt like I was a little more a part of the game than ususal.

It ended with the last wyrdstone-carying dark elf dying few inches from the table edge, and my heroes hiding in safety from the gun schools handguns and hunting rifle.
In the post-battle I only permanently lost 1 giant rat, and I made 59gc. I allso got +1WS for my leader, and a skill for one of my black skavens. I managed to find 1 lucky charm, 1 set of throwing knives and 1 rabbit's foot, with the 4 heroes I had for searching.

So this is my current warband:
Assassin Adept - sword & brace of warplock pistols – lucky charm, rabbits foot & toughened leathers & helmet.
Black Skaven (art of silent death) – fighting claws – rabbits foot, toughened leathers, lucky charm & rope & hook
Black Skaven (eagle eyes) – 2 swords, throwing knives & sling – rabbits foot & toughened leathers
Eshin Sorcerer (gnawdoom & sorcerer's curse) – spear & sling – rabbits foot & toughened leathers
Night Runner - club & sling - rabbits foot & toughened leathers
4x Giant Rats
Back to top Go down
Louis
Captain
Captain
Louis

Personal Info

Louis' skaven log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Louis' skaven log   Louis' skaven log Icon_minitimeFri 25 Mar 2011 - 13:30

I'm back after playing a 1on1 against the dwarfs in our campain. It was a much dreaded battle after the bloodbath I had with them in the multy-player battle. It was their 8th battle and my 5th. So even though I had the higher warband rating (due to my large numbers, and his low), he had the best warriors of the two of us. And my advantage (many slings) was not a great advantage against his T4. So my only real hope was to win by speed.

We rolled the skirmish fight, and it was not the worst result for me. But certainly not the best either.
He deployed first, and deployed in the corner of the board. Making it hard for me to try and surround him.
It was my strategy to try and split his 7 killing machines up in smaller groups, and try and get them within my throwing knives and warplock range, so that I could hit him from safety with some strength 4 and 5.

He had 3 very deadly crossbows in his rows, so I needed to stay clear of those, witch almost succeeded.
We play with “Random Happenings” and I rolled a Bloodletter, who I threw at him from behind. It proved to be no real threat to him though. But it did split his band up a little.

But then I foolishly choose to charge one of his thunderes, who were alone, with my two night runners and two giants rats. Forgetting all about my WS2 and his WS4. confused
He took both night runners OoA, but the giant rats knocked him down, and then my claw wielding black skaven (who had been watching, safely hidden) could move in for the kill. Karate

I also managed to take a beardling of his OoA with Gnawdoom from my sorcerer.

That had him roll for rout test, but with LD9, it was no problem for him.

Then he shot my other black skaven and took a giant rat OoA. And I had to roll for rout, and with LD7 and an 8 on the dice (my best LD-roll so far!) it was time for escape.

He lost bot his warriors permanently, witch was sad because the thunderer had just become a hero.
But I don't feel to bad, as his warband it still much better than mine. tongue

I lost one night runner, the other got frenzy, and the black skaven made a full recovery. And the giant rat left.
With only 3 dice for exploration a found 3 shards, and that was sold for 60gc, since I was down to 12 members now.

My claw fighting black skaven got an advance, and got WS. he is quite the fighter now. I will use him for solo adventures like taking out snipers and kind of stuff.
My sorcerer also got WS. And my verminkin got I. Neutral

I bought a new night runner and gave him club and sling. Making a promise to try and keep the night runners out of close combat from now on. But giving my other night runner a shield and sword, just in case. I also bought three lucky charms. That was more or less it.

My warband looks like this now.

Assassin Adept – sword, buckler, sling & brace of warplock pistols – lucky charm, rabbits foot & toughened leathers & helmet.

Black Skaven (art of silent death) – fighting claws – rabbits foot, toughened leathers, lucky charm & rope & hook

Black Skaven (eagle eyes) – sword, throwing knives & sling – rabbits foot, toughened leathers & lucky charm

Eshin Sorcerer (gnawdoom & sorcerer's curse) – spear & sling – rabbits foot, toughened leathers & lucky charm

Night Runner – sword, shield & sling - rabbits foot, toughened leathers & lucky charm

3x Giant Rats

I really want some advances for my heroes, but they gain experience so slowly, when they don't do any killing.
I want “hunch” for my leader, which would give me some advantages in deploying, hopefully making it easier for me to exploit my mobility.
I also really want “weapons expert” for one of the night runners, so he can have a crossbow or something with long range. I really feel I miss that.

I also want some more verminkin. I'm thinking of a group with spears, to lurk out chargers for ambushes.

Next battle will be a multy-player, and will try to remember to bring a camera, so that I can put some pictures up here.

Hope you enjoy reading. C&c is as always very welcome!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

Louis' skaven log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Louis' skaven log   Louis' skaven log Icon_minitimeFri 25 Mar 2011 - 14:07

GOOD REPORT!...bringing your camera to the next game would add a WHOLE NEW dimension to the report. GOOD LUCK NEXT GAME! cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Louis' skaven log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Louis' skaven log   Louis' skaven log Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Louis' skaven log
Page 1 of 1