Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs

Go down 
+6
Mo!
Pirexian
Plague Docter
DeafNala
Rudeboy
si
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
si
Knight
Knight
si

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders
Achievements earned: none

orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Empty
PostSubject: Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs   orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Icon_minitimeThu 12 Aug 2010 - 17:01

Hiya,

ok started my first warband and I have a couple of requests. Firstly I don't know the mordheim background all that well yet, so any suggestions on which province these guys should represent?

Secondly, can anyone tell me what they're made from? It's not a pop quiz, I just bought a bits box from ebay a few years ago and would like to know who these guys are! The few dwarf weapons I know, but other than that at a bit of a loss.

Right then, the warband so far:

orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Warband_02 orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Warband_03 orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Warband_04 orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Warband_05 orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Warband_06

They are, left to right, the Captain with hammer and duelling pistol, champion with sword and axe, champion with sword and mace, marksman with longbow, and marksman with a brace of pistols.

There will be five henchmen, but the only models I had where old Advanced Heroquest henchmen I bought from ebay to be statues, so I didn't want to use them. I've got Empire Militia on order from wayland to fill the gaps.

I'm sure the weapon choices aren't optimum, but what little gaming I've ever done has always been more about character and aesthetics than winning Very Happy. The marksman dual wielding is my favourite, not sure why he just looks like a right smug b'tard.

All are paint in progress, though they probably won't get much better. They're just basic base coated and washed. Monk has had his skin highlight, others will get one, then face details and I'll probably get bored and stop there. Smile

Cheers for any input,
Si

Last edited by si on Sun 20 Jan 2013 - 11:05; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://gtazz.com/kataan/
Rudeboy
Elder
Elder
Rudeboy

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Restless Dead (BTB) Restless Dead (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs   orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Icon_minitimeThu 12 Aug 2010 - 17:58

Looks good!
Why round bases?
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs   orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Icon_minitimeThu 12 Aug 2010 - 17:59

From the neutral colors you've chosen the Lads could hail from just about anywhere. You could work out your own sub-province & do a "counts as" thingy...with the amount of fire power present, probably Reichland.

NICE CHOICE
of minis/bits! They're painting up into a FINE looking Gang. As a black powder loony, I LOVE all the pistols.I also tend to pick minis for looks rather than their possible value in a game. Keep the faith! orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs 544694

Last edited by DeafNala on Thu 12 Aug 2010 - 18:18; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Plague Docter
General
General
Plague Docter

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs   orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Icon_minitimeThu 12 Aug 2010 - 18:17

Looking good as Alan saidi would probably go for Reiklanders for the +1 to BS

DeafNala wrote:
As a black powder loony, I LOVE all the pistols. Keep the faith! orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs 544694
You will love the the warband im planing to use since just about every model carries a handgun or pistol plus some other additions im putting into there rules (*whipsers* exploding casks,firebombs and maybe some other 'surprises' that some might call animal cruelty)
Back to top Go down
Pirexian
Elder
Elder
Pirexian

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers

PostSubject: Re: Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs   orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Icon_minitimeThu 12 Aug 2010 - 18:19

Very cool minis!
Back to top Go down
si
Knight
Knight
si

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs   orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Icon_minitimeThu 12 Aug 2010 - 18:43

Cheers guys.

Erm, round bases out of habit I suppose. Too many years of 40k, just prefer the aesthetic. Those bases are temporary, I've literally just finished moving four of them across to their resin cobble bases from Fenris.

Thought I'd go for fairly muted tones. I'd like to do a really bright warband (erm, Marienburg?) so figured this would contrast well. Reiklanders it is then!

Anyone got any ideas on the components? The two marksmen's bodies in particular? Really like the fluted breeches.

Not normally a painter, but I've just sat and painted the second champion so maybe that's changing. There's definitely something cool about only having to paint 9 or 10 minis rather than the mountain of IG I've got sat on my shelf Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs   orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Icon_minitimeThu 12 Aug 2010 - 18:55

I found the same thing as far as painting goes. When I moved from army painting to fantasy for AD&D then Mordheim et al, the quality & enjoyment of painting became manifest. Painting the mind numbing, repetitious hordes required by "proper" war games develops a certain self discipline that will serve you well in life, but can turn you off to painting minis in general. orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Suspect
Back to top Go down
Mo!
Ancient
Ancient

Trading Reputation : 6

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs   orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Icon_minitimeThu 12 Aug 2010 - 19:32

1st 3 are brettonian men-at-arms command bodies... other 2 old plastic empire (bow is normaly holding a gun) the orther a canon crew member!

Nice warband me likey!
Back to top Go down
si
Knight
Knight
si

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs   orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Icon_minitimeThu 12 Aug 2010 - 21:11

Hah too true, though I think by 31 I've got all the self-discipline I'm going to get. I just find painting ten guys tedious. 1 guy is a lot more interesting.

Thanks Mo, I'll keep an eye out on ebay for others of the same set.

Another quick question. I've got my bases and they're similar to standard GW round ones, although the profile is a smooth curve rather than a vertical edge. Any suggestions on what colour to paint the edges? I was going to leave them grey like the cobbles, but when they're on the boards they sort of blend in. Maybe black?
Back to top Go down
Rudeboy
Elder
Elder
Rudeboy

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Restless Dead (BTB) Restless Dead (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs   orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Icon_minitimeThu 12 Aug 2010 - 21:23

I like the Round Bases too. I have always thought that they look better and in a scrimage game I think they work better, however they make it easier for more people to charge you.

They looks like a group of Reiklanders. I would look into the Hand Gunners. Most of them the body includes the left arm up to the wrist. It is so you can attach a crossbow or a rifle with ease. The other thing that is nice is that you can also add hands that are holding a pistol. I had a neat Thunderer pistol that was a left hand to the wrist and it fit perfectly.

I suggest looking at the Pistoliers because they have a lot of guns, and they also have really cool heads. They also come with Horses, which if you want to have your guys on horse back it pretty cool. I think that having a guy or two on horse back can be useful and it looks cool.

I am a fan of the Free Company box, because it comes with a lot of different weapons which is perfect for Mordheim.

I also really like the Flagellant heads. They make really cool former soldier heads because of their wild hair and beards, same with the Marauder heads. Sometimes you'll have to trim the necks so that they fit properly, but they work well.
Back to top Go down
Mo!
Ancient
Ancient

Trading Reputation : 6

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs   orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Icon_minitimeThu 12 Aug 2010 - 22:41

I have a stack of those old empire gunners and spearmen and bitz to turn them in puffy sleeved sword or spearmen... bought them for a mordheim warband i never build... plenty of pisols as well... maybe we can trade for them or something?
Back to top Go down
si
Knight
Knight
si

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs   orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Icon_minitimeFri 13 Aug 2010 - 21:45

Cheers for the offer Mo, though my trade pile is somewhat non-existant for fantasy. I think I should have enough bits with my new militia box (when it arrives) to be going on with, but ta anyway.

Thanks Rudeboy, some great info there. It's a very strange feeling not having a clue what things are or where to get certain parts. I know the 40k lines so well it's a bit like starting from scratch. Which is of course of huge appeal!

Inspired by how eager I was to sit down and paint these guys I've decided to seize the initiative. I have something akin to ADHD when it comes to hobbying (is that even a verb?), and have to pounce on any interest or it runs away.

As such I've just done a quick spot of ordering at Hasslefree and Heresy to get the basis for a possessed warband. We'll see how that goes when they get here.

In the meantime I'm looking forward to my free company so I can finish my reiklander starting group.
Back to top Go down
si
Knight
Knight
si

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs   orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010 - 16:21

RIght then. To occupy my time whilst waiting for my militia and new possessed guys to arrive I needed to fill my time. I did some work on the city but fancied some minis.

So a bit of bitz box diving, some inspiration from WarbossKurgan and my old 40k Freeboota plans and I came up with these guys:

Da Kabin Krew!

First up is Kaptin Kabin and his faithful (ish) shaman, Nuggit.
orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Pirates_01

Kap'n Kabin is just a black reach nob with an ogre's sword (reshaped to be more scimitar like), and a big club for a counts-as morning star. The head as the black reach warboss's, so I've removed the bionics ready for an eye patch and bit hat. I'm also quite happy with the balsa peg leg Very Happy
Nuggit is a normal orc boy with a cut down spear and slightly modified axe. His head is a cross between a boy and a night goblin.

Next up the Big 'Uns, Boz Un and Boz Wan.
orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Pirates_02
They are one piece plastic boyz (not sure where from, another bits purchase), with slight arm changes and a couple of plasticard scimitars. They need tricorn hats obviously.

Then we have the henchmen. Firstly, Da Arra Krew.
orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Pirates_03
Again one piece plastics with slight tweaks. Very happy with the guy on the right considering the source. Oh and lefty has a hook hand made from a bretonnian horn/flask/thing. They'll get bandanas.

Then Da Spika Krew:
orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Pirates_04
These are normal boys with converted spears, one with a peg leg and one with a hook. These guys are also getting bandanas.

Finally Da Kab'n Runtz.
orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Pirates_05
These are normal goblins, again will get bandanas. I love the guy on the left, blatantly saying "once I figure out how this works, you're gonna get it!", and the guy on the right looking up at one of the orcs getting his orders.

Hoping to start the sculpts today, shouldn't take too long. Kaptin's hat is the main point of concern as it'll make or break that piece. Everyone else is just tweaks and it's their paint work that'll sell them as pirates.

And no, I make no apologies for any puns contained herein Wink

Oh and a pic of the Reiklanders who now have bases and just await their tardy henchmen:
orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Warband_07

Cheers for looking.

Last edited by si on Sun 20 Jan 2013 - 11:08; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs   orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010 - 16:37

EXCELLENT STUFF! I especially like Kapitan Kabin & Nuggit...normally I like the Goblins best. The Orc Pirates all look the part...NICE PIECE OF CREATIVE MODELING! orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs 544694

The Reiklanders REALLY painted up well. The subdued colors look GREAT & the bases enhance the painting. VERY WELL DONE! orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs 544694
Back to top Go down
si
Knight
Knight
si

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs   orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Icon_minitimeFri 20 Aug 2010 - 18:40

Thanks mate! I'd love to say the subdued colour scheme was always my plan but to be honest once I've washed things with devlan mud I'm always afraid to add too many highlights for fear of screwing things up!

Speaking of which...

My first orc pirate is under way. I did all the sculpting a few days ago and got them primed. Now working through painting them. He'll get some highlights, and I may have a go at striping on the trousers, we'll see. And the sculpting, whilst not up to WarbossKurgan's fine standards, seems workmanlike enough. Here's the first guy, one of da Spika Krew:

orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Pirates_06 orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Pirates_07

On a side note, particularly happy with that first photo. Tried a different arrangement with the lamp and seems to have brought out the colours a bit better..

Cheers.

Last edited by si on Sun 20 Jan 2013 - 11:09; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs   orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Icon_minitimeFri 20 Aug 2010 - 18:51

NOW YOU'RE COOKING! OH BABY, ORC PIRATES! The harpoon/spear looks TERRIFIC! I like your skin tones & choice of colors as well. VERY NICE WORK! thumbsup

If you won't be giving away classified information, what do you have in mind for the base(s)? Shocked
Back to top Go down
si
Knight
Knight
si

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs   orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Icon_minitimeFri 20 Aug 2010 - 18:53

Hah thanks!

The base I was really tempted by boarding for a deck, but I'm going to go with the same cobbles as my Reiklanders. They will be scrapping in the same streets after all.

Back to top Go down
vampirekhaine
Warlord
Warlord
vampirekhaine

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs   orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Icon_minitimeFri 20 Aug 2010 - 18:58

Very nice! The colour-scheme is very basic yet powerfull. I like the skin of the orc in particular, what paints did you use on that?
Back to top Go down
si
Knight
Knight
si

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs   orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Icon_minitimeFri 20 Aug 2010 - 21:35

Thanks, but I think it must just be a trick of the light! So far the skin has only had one coat of goblin green and a devlan mud wash. I'll go back and lightly highlight the muscles to give it a bit of definition, but that's about the limit of my brush skills unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs   orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Icon_minitimeSat 21 Aug 2010 - 19:01

*Adds to list of threads to follow closely!*

That is a lovely paint-job on the harpooneer! Really nice earthy tones.

si wrote:
whilst not up to WarbossKurgan's fine standards, seems workmanlike enough.
Don't sell yourself short matey - this is some ship-shape work! orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs 665330
Welcome to the (Dis)Honourable Brotherhood of da Green Seas!
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
si
Knight
Knight
si

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs   orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Icon_minitimeSun 22 Aug 2010 - 21:19

Thanks, appreciate the comments! Going to have a go at a troll as soon as these guys can afford one. Not sure what he'll look like in a pirate hat but it's worth a go.

Painting is coming along, I'll get some new photos up asap. Four of the orcs are now done bar highlighting, and one of the new Reiklander young bloods is at the same stage.

On a side note just had my first (solo) game of Mordheim. Seems like it could be quite fun! I'd only ever played 40k before, and that was back in 2nd edition. A few things are quite familiar, lots of looking up tables and marking dozens of pages in the rulebook. Sure that'll get easier.

To be honest though it's the campaign side that drew me to the game. It's like Neverwinter Nights. Sure the fighting was ok, but my favourite part was always going back to the shops to buy some huge swords and shinies. Just love the idea of it all being wrapped up and eveloped in the same plotline.

Oh and the plan is just to play a few games to give me stuff to do. I want to advance my warbands so I can keep modelling, and write a few fluffy stories about their adventures. Basically it's about keeping me interested long enough to finish the bloody scenery!
Back to top Go down
si
Knight
Knight
si

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs   orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Icon_minitimeSun 29 Aug 2010 - 18:35

Ok some updates:

Firstly the Reiklanders are now complete. I need to go back and highlight a few, but they're playable now.

orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Warband_08

From left to right they are:

Abel (youngblood), Brother Yardstick*, Pistol Marksman (Falke's Fliers), Swordsman (Tibalt's Tankers), Longbow Marksman (FF), Albertus Brandt, Longbow Marksman (FF), Hans*, Swordsman (Harald's Hitters), Crossbow Marksman (FF), Wilber (Youngblood).

Unfortunately Brother Furlong passed away cleaved in twain by a rather annoyed dwarf clansman. Brother Yardstick was dispatched from the Monestary in his stead.

Hans is a new comer, the replacement for Dieter. Who was in turn a replacement for Reinhard. Something of a cursed seat at the table.

And then some updates to Da Kabin Krew. They're getting painted very slowly, Kaptin Kabin got his paintjob today:

orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Pirates_09 orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Pirates_10

Quite happy with him, looks suitably annoyed. But then if you had a massive ginger beard you'd be miffed too Wink.

And a quick shot of the painted members of the krew:

orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Pirates_08
A kab'n runt, a spika krew member, the Kaptin, Nuggit the shaman, an arra krew member.

Still got 7 guys to paint. And one of the big uns, Boz'Un has been renamed Boz Het. After getting his hat and facial hair he somehow ended up as a dead ringer for James Hetfield. Go figure.

Cheers for looking..

Last edited by si on Sun 20 Jan 2013 - 11:12; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs   orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Icon_minitimeSun 29 Aug 2010 - 19:17

VERY COOL looking Gangs of Rogues...both Green & otherwise. You have a very crisp & attractive painting style...ignore all advice & stick to what you're doing. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
si
Knight
Knight
si

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs   orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Icon_minitimeMon 30 Aug 2010 - 23:54

Cheers bud. I know I won't win any awards, but I like the way they look at a distance and after twenty years of searching I've found a technique that's so easy I don't loathe painting. Which is nice.
Back to top Go down
Narcissus
Knight
Knight
Narcissus

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers

PostSubject: Re: Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs   orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Icon_minitimeTue 31 Aug 2010 - 5:10

They look great. I have all the bits (except legs!!!) for my own orcs, I just have to get on them. Your post has helped to light a fire under me again. I like the bright colors and characterful poses. Looking forward to seeing the whole gang.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs   orcs - Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reiklanders, Averlanders & Pirate Orcs
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next