Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^

Go down 
+17
HornedRat
pascal the rascal
Bash
Foot_of_adhesive_tape
shotguncoffee
sianpää
hero
Mr.chair
Pirexian
DeafNala
El mastodon
Vallenor
Skavenblight
WarbossKurgan
Gobo
Von Kurst
Vent
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Vent
Champion
Champion
Vent

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^   Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 5 Jun 2010 - 4:06

sianpää wrote:
You actually didn't. You said it's not pretty. Dang you liar. Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 Icon_smile
In all honesty, compared to my first mini this one is far superior.
You've had some artistic hobbies before, or are you just one of those lucky ones who have the talent built-in?

I did a little bit of art in high-school and some of the lessons learned there helped me out; such as planning ahead, thinking about somethig before starting it and the like. But as for hobbies like this, not to much. Just a case of plugging away at something and getting advice about how to go about it... The folks at 40k forums were really good to me with hints and tips about things to try... Maybe that was it?
Back to top Go down
Foot_of_adhesive_tape
Warlord
Warlord
Foot_of_adhesive_tape

Personal Info
Achievements earned: Golden Tom Golden Tom

PostSubject: Re: Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^   Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 6 Jun 2010 - 3:11

Looking very nice vent! cant wait to face these in acouple of weeks at can opener Wink
Any ideas for the witch hunters yet?

-Foot
Back to top Go down
Vent
Champion
Champion
Vent

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^   Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 6 Jun 2010 - 10:34

Foot_of_adhesive_tape wrote:
Looking very nice vent! cant wait to face these in acouple of weeks at can opener Wink
Any ideas for the witch hunters yet?

-Foot

There will be red, and probably some black in there somewhere, or very dark grey... Also have a Elf Ranger to do which I think will look quite good in dark green...
Back to top Go down
shotguncoffee
Warlord
Warlord
shotguncoffee

PostSubject: Re: Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^   Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 6 Jun 2010 - 13:14

very nice, vent Very Happy

what about you foot, can we expect somthing from you soon?
Back to top Go down
Vent
Champion
Champion
Vent

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^   Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 9 Jun 2010 - 5:34

Alrighty, yet another finished figure. The pace is starting to show on this one... My exceptionally quick Elf Ranger. Three hours from start to finish and it really shows... Normally I would of taken a lot more care with the brown, but it's such a pain in the ass color to properly highlight. I am happy how the green came out though, I normally don't get a chance to paint large areas of green and the speed highlighting worked quite well... The red was the last addition. When it was just brown and green it seemed to miss something, and then it occurred to me that red will both tie him into Witch-Hunters and give him a little zing... Likewise there are meant to be little leaf clumps in parts I've just painted them an off-green and given them a wash... I normally don't like to complain about a miniature being responsible for painting short-comings but this was a bitch, lots of little fiddly bits to get in the way and overlapping bits of cloak / armor / leather make it quite hard to pick apart whats meant to be what color...
Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 4684315306_99dfeb65da_o Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 4684315242_10dbd4dd93_o
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^   Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 9 Jun 2010 - 12:32

VERY COOL! You did up a woodsy looking sharpshooter with a touch of sinister about him...VERY EFFECTIVE choice of colors. VERY WELL DONE! Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 544694
Back to top Go down
shotguncoffee
Warlord
Warlord
shotguncoffee

PostSubject: Re: Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^   Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 9 Jun 2010 - 14:38

Yes the others were better Sad
Back to top Go down
Mr.chair
Warlord
Warlord
Mr.chair

PostSubject: Re: Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^   Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jun 2010 - 17:54

Haha, that's the best looking first miniature I've ever seen. My original stuff was awful. Absolutely awful. I suppose that's what you get when you start painting in 5th grade though.

Anyways, the ranger looks great. You're getting this warband table ready at a stunning rate. Color me impressed.
Back to top Go down
Pirexian
Elder
Elder
Pirexian

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers

PostSubject: Re: Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^   Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010 - 7:18

Well, even though it gave you a hard time, the final result is great!
Congratz for the hard work and the well earned results mate!
Back to top Go down
Vent
Champion
Champion
Vent

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^   Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jun 2010 - 1:33

Wow work is a pain in the ass... Don't these people know I have miniatures to paint and a deadline to keep?!

The first Witch-Hunter Hero figure done. Not super happy about him, he seems a little muted in color, but for the time taken and the fact he was mostly done at night under lights instead of sunlight he's OK... If I had more time I think I would have tried to Green Stuff some long cloaks onto them, but alas time is not on my side...
Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 4694682970_73003eaca7_oSigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 4694682840_30c074d375_oSigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 4694682742_37e950aa4f_o

Photos are a touch dark too. Lost another bulb at home... Running count: Three miniatures left, six days...
Back to top Go down
Bash
Champion
Champion
Bash

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ogres (BTB) Ogres (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^   Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jun 2010 - 1:39

actually the longcoats can be quite easy ill post a pic tomorrow about how im doing it. but basically it comes down to using the long coat from the militia box cutting off the 2 lower bits and attaching them to the new model with some gs then all u have to make is the top part wich is significantly easyer than the long flap things. doesnt take long at all.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^   Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jun 2010 - 2:19

PRETTY COOL! I like your choice of colors; the base adds nicely to the feel of the mini; & all the little bits of paraphenalia make it more interesting. VERY WELL DONE! Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 544694
Back to top Go down
pascal the rascal
Ancient
Ancient
pascal the rascal

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^   Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jun 2010 - 18:05

holy kazooly !
if this is your speed painting after just a short while in the hobby ....
now that got me frustrated a bit !
the first pics you posted were great ! the only thing that was less my style was the metal ; a bit too bright to my taste. But hey, that's just a matter of preferences.
as for advice, i'd like to praise the dvd from Jeremy Treboul, a french painter.
A true artist ; check out his website.
keep on painting, & keep those pics coming !
Back to top Go down
Skavenblight
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Skavenblight

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Carnival of Chaos (EIF) Carnival of Chaos (EIF)
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^   Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jun 2010 - 19:54

Very nice mini! I'd only highlight a little this feather.
Back to top Go down
http://hakostwo.blogspot.com
HornedRat
Elder
Elder
HornedRat

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^   Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jun 2010 - 20:06

I love the more subdued red. For me at least it lends more to the efefct that it is cloth. Great Job, would love to see a group shot when you get them all done.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pbase.com/therat
Vent
Champion
Champion
Vent

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^   Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010 - 1:04

Thanks guys I appreciate your comments and normally would be responding to them, but I'm running out of time ^_^

This pace is slowly killing me... What's worse is the fact that my painting chair is NOT comfortable for looooong periods of time. Two hours? Fine. Four hours? Heeeeell no. Longer? You'll be in pain for the night... *sigh*

Anyway, my finished Witch Hunter Captain. Took me a full afternoon from say 1pm till 5pm, and then some little bits of extra time as I was doing the base... Four days left. Two Figures to go... Gonna be tight, especially if I want to get some scenery done as well...

Notes:

- Some people said my metals were to bright so I've given the metal a wash of Sepia after the black to take most of the shine off. Must say I kind of like the look for Fantasy-type armor...

- I've had a few people ask for various color recipes; when I'm finished I'll sit down and try and remember how I did them, most are simply foundation colors with a little bit of bleached bone added to lighten them and a crap load of washes.

- The face may look little black, had a splotch of Black wash land there, not quite sure how but had to do some rescue work...

Enough talk, photos:
Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 4700943637_93ef8366ab_oSigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 4701576458_7eecebee3c_o
Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 4701576316_a44835f755_oSigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 4701576242_59c0c09be9_o

As always I appreciate comments and constructive criticism on what I should work on with my stuff, so please don't be shy...
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^   Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010 - 1:10

FANTASTIC...appropriately! TERRIFIC choice of colors & a GREAT technique. VERY WELL DONE! Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 544694
Back to top Go down
HornedRat
Elder
Elder
HornedRat

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^   Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010 - 1:15

The new guy does look awesome.

The metal looks great, I have always found that shinny metal normally isn't a problem as the matte sealer typically gets rid of that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pbase.com/therat
Pirexian
Elder
Elder
Pirexian

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers

PostSubject: Re: Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^   Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010 - 4:38

That last guy is amazing! your washing was great mate!
Back to top Go down
shotguncoffee
Warlord
Warlord
shotguncoffee

PostSubject: Re: Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^   Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010 - 14:53

Very good Smile
Back to top Go down
Skavenblight
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Skavenblight

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Carnival of Chaos (EIF) Carnival of Chaos (EIF)
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^   Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010 - 14:58

Very nice. The cloak is the best!
Back to top Go down
http://hakostwo.blogspot.com
pascal the rascal
Ancient
Ancient
pascal the rascal

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^   Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010 - 21:20

your results are awesome !
i'm really jealous about the time you spent (i'm one of those deranged guys who spend days and weeks, just to get a similar result)
i'd like to know more about your washing techniques (i paint for about 20 years or so, and only recently getting the hang a bit on washing. Earlier, it was just GW wash straight out of the pot : too dark, blotchy, etc of course. Now i thin them and experiment with thinned paint instead of wash ; creates a whole different effect i found out)

I have the impression you use non-metal metal ; is that correct ?
if you have the time, check out rascal's random minis thread, and let me know what you think about the metal-metal on some of the last guys

keep those pic's coming ; we all love 'em !
Back to top Go down
Vent
Champion
Champion
Vent

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^   Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010 - 23:51

Thanks guys, I appreciate you taking the time ^_^

Pascal, I don't use NMM technique, in fact I've never even tried it. I see it as a very advanced technique and while I have tried small parts of the technique here and there I've never used it for trying metal. I'm nowhere near confident enough using it just yet. Plus it takes forever... As for my washing technique, it's not really that indepth. The key is multiple coats with a lighter / same color and then move up to using darker colors, but only in recesses. For example, the cloak is Mechinite Red Foundation. I made three coats of the red. Then when it was fully dry I glazed it with Baal Red Wash. Glazing is just painting the whole thing with wash, leaving a little bit of excess in the recesses of folds. When that wash was dry I used two coats of Sepia in the recesses. Then some Orgyn Flesh in the recesses and finally with exceptional care Devlan mud. Like laying and highlighting each coat of wash will act on the one placed before it, but in the cash of washing the colors will get darker not lighter. Then when all that was done I started highlighting... Oh and the only time I water down my washes is when I do faces. Other than that I just make sure I don't have too much on my brush when I use them...

Hope that helps Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Vent
Champion
Champion
Vent

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^   Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 17 Jun 2010 - 1:36

WARBAND COMPLETE BABY!

Stick a fork in me, I am done... Got a little bit of scenery to finish painting and I'll be all done and ready to go for Saturday. *phew*

These last two I did at the same time, made for a quicker but more frustrating process as my paint kept drying on my palette. I like the way these two came out. They have a lot more zing than the first Crossbowman I did. I think it's the yellow... I'd initially thought to do all three with a different color (Grey, yellow and possibly blue), but seeing that yellow sold me...

Photos:
Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 4707101213_3936b62f56_bSigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 4707744694_474b4ab1ec_bSigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 4707744748_fe81489617_b

And here is the final Warband. If the scenery is dry before tomorrow night I may try and get some photos of my guys on it. Otherwise it'll have to wait till Saturday during the tourney...
Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 4707101423_4c20205738_b

Thanks for taking a look... ^_^
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^   Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 17 Jun 2010 - 1:50

JUST BEAUTIFUL! That is an EXCEPTIONALLY G0OD LOOKING War Band...everything from the choice of colors through the basing works together so well. VERY WELL DONE! Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 544694
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^   Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^ - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sigmars Honor - Scenery! How Exciting! ^_^
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next