Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Pit Fighter Warband Need Advice

Go down 
+3
Snappy_Dresser
Shadowphx
GreyWolf
7 posters
AuthorMessage
GreyWolf
Veteran
Veteran
GreyWolf

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: none

Pit Fighter Warband Need Advice Empty
PostSubject: Pit Fighter Warband Need Advice   Pit Fighter Warband Need Advice Icon_minitimeThu 18 Feb 2010 - 20:23

Can anyone give me advice on starting up a Pit fighter warband?

and what other warband would be good for a Mordheim beginner

Cheers
GreyWolf
Back to top Go down
http://greywolfgames.blogspot.co.nz/
Shadowphx
Warlord
Warlord
Shadowphx

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Pit Fighter Warband Need Advice   Pit Fighter Warband Need Advice Icon_minitimeThu 18 Feb 2010 - 21:35

It’s been a while since I played Pitfighters, but I do remember having a lot of fun with them. Since it’s been so long, I can’t remember what starting stuff I had. I’ll have to get my Town Cryer out. But I do remember some Tactics. They don’t have a lot of options for ranged weapons. You’ll have to move in and around cover a lot until you can get into HtH. I believe this band already has the Pitfighter skill. This is the interesting point. The Skill benefits are effective in ruins and buildings. So try and move in those areas and draw in your opponent to fight in those areas. And let the Bodies hit the floor!

Some will call this “Power-Gaming” I call it “Good Strategy”.

The other part of the Question was: What’s a good beginner Warband. One word- SKAVEN. Without a doubt the best Starting Warband. Speed and Numbers! Their penalties don’t really come up until latter. Those penalties would be low Leadership and very limited access to Hired Swords.
Back to top Go down
Snappy_Dresser
Captain
Captain
Snappy_Dresser

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Pit Fighter Warband Need Advice   Pit Fighter Warband Need Advice Icon_minitimeThu 18 Feb 2010 - 22:23

Shadowphx wrote:
It

Um. No one would call that power gaming.
Back to top Go down
GreyWolf
Veteran
Veteran
GreyWolf

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Pit Fighter Warband Need Advice   Pit Fighter Warband Need Advice Icon_minitimeThu 18 Feb 2010 - 22:36

Shadowphx wrote:
It’s been a while since I played Pit fighters, but I do remember having a lot of fun with them. Since it’s been so long, I can’t remember what starting stuff I had. I’ll have to get my Town Cryer out. But I do remember some Tactics. They don’t have a lot of options for ranged weapons. You’ll have to move in and around cover a lot until you can get into HtH. I believe this band already has the Pit fighter skill. This is the interesting point. The Skill benefits are effective in ruins and buildings. So try and move in those areas and draw in your opponent to fight in those areas. And let the Bodies hit the floor!

The other part of the Question was: What’s a good beginner Warband. One word- SKAVEN. Without a doubt the best Starting Warband. Speed and Numbers! Their penalties don’t really come up until latter. Those penalties would be low Leadership and very limited access to Hired Swords.

The reason I like Pit Fighters was due to that article in Fanatic Issue #1 and #3 where you can play a gladiator style combat [Pit Fighter Game]. it confused me at first why were they saying "Orc fighter" when they showed a human miniature then it came to me they are using the "Orc style" of fighting [dam shift work muddles my brain] same went with the rest of the styles:

Chaos+
Empire+
Undead+
Orc+
Pit King*
Ogre*
Slayer*
Skink*
Witch Elf*

[(+) from Fanatic Issue #1, (*) from Fanatic Issue #3]

So I figured all this out after I had ordered a few Marauder minis. And then seen some pics with a Pit fighter with an Orc helmeted-head painted silver to show he is an Orc style pit fighter. also seen it done with a witch elf head as well.

So I might have a few extra marauder heads left over after my conversions. I now need to find just the right Orc and witch elf head to represent those style of fighters. as for the Skink style mmmm not sure on that one. Has anyone played this game? and are there any new stuff for this Mordheim variant game? eg Player created rules for wild animals, chariots in combat etc.....

Now part II:

Woop woop SKAVEN..... that was the top of my list.... I have not played them before even in my years of WHFB just didn't want to paint up that many figs just to get an army.

but for a skirmish type game they will be alot of fun....

So for a starting SKAVEN list what should I look at buying mini wise?

Cheers
GreyWolf
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Pit Fighter Warband Need Advice   Pit Fighter Warband Need Advice Icon_minitimeThu 18 Feb 2010 - 23:49

A single box of clanrats will do you for all your henchmen needs, and a single box of gutter-runners will do you for all your heroes. You will also need a few giant rats - at least 3 because one of the spells of your caster can summon up to three of them, and a few more won't hurt as they make excellent M6 meat-shields.

You will also need a caster. If you are feeling converty, then you can make one from the clan-rats. If you are feeling extravagant you might want to pick up a Grey Seer and paint him up as a normal warlock (grey seers aren't modeled with the mechanical stuff, and that is equipment only Skryer warlocks can buy).

If you are feeling super-extravagant you could consider getting a rat ogre, but to be honest I have never had much luck with these. They are expensive, and only really any good at the start of the game because they don't level. Towards the end most warbands can just chew through 3 T4 wounds to take them out and 200 gold is a lot for one model.

Maybe an impressively posed assassin for your leader, if there is one that particularly takes your fancy. I tend more towards the Weeping Blades ones than the claws, because claws have a rule saying you can't be equipped with any other weapon and I like to take advantage of the leader's high BS and Perfect Killer skill, but that is a matter of personal taste.
Back to top Go down
Dmig
Knight
Knight
Dmig

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Pit Fighter Warband Need Advice   Pit Fighter Warband Need Advice Icon_minitimeFri 19 Feb 2010 - 0:02

If you have enough extra bits like clubs around you can easily make a whole warband out of a box of gutter runners and some giant rats
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Pit Fighter Warband Need Advice   Pit Fighter Warband Need Advice Icon_minitimeFri 19 Feb 2010 - 0:38

Whoops, my mistake - for some reason I was thinking you only got 5 models in a box of night runners. Madness. Yeah, with 20 in a box you would only need a few other weapons and some giant rats.
Back to top Go down
GreyWolf
Veteran
Veteran
GreyWolf

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Pit Fighter Warband Need Advice   Pit Fighter Warband Need Advice Icon_minitimeFri 19 Feb 2010 - 1:22

I'll look at the box of gutter runners. I do enjoy converting my armies/teams/warbands.

done a bit of work on bloodbowl minis mostly and am working on a building up a space crusade set from the newer minis.

thx heaps.

Cheers
Greywolf
Back to top Go down
playtable
Ancient
Ancient
playtable

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Pit Fighter Warband Need Advice   Pit Fighter Warband Need Advice Icon_minitimeFri 19 Feb 2010 - 21:56

For the Pit Fighter warband ALWAYS take a pit fighter ogre henchman.
If he should ever get "Lad's Got Talent" you end up with an awesome hero.
Back to top Go down
Rudeboy
Elder
Elder
Rudeboy

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Restless Dead (BTB) Restless Dead (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Pit Fighter Warband Need Advice   Pit Fighter Warband Need Advice Icon_minitimeFri 19 Feb 2010 - 22:25

You can make almost all of the 1 race warbands (Humans, Skaven, Elves, etc...) with one unit box. You can also find on Ebay people who sell individual plastic figs and bits to supplement your box.

The Example I always give is the Empire Free Company, for $35 you get 20 guys, with a good mix of Guns, Swords, Bows, Daggers and Clubs.

You can also pick-up a Empire Flagellant Warband and be 10 guys into a Witch Hunters Warband for $25.
Back to top Go down
GreyWolf
Veteran
Veteran
GreyWolf

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Pit Fighter Warband Need Advice   Pit Fighter Warband Need Advice Icon_minitimeFri 19 Feb 2010 - 22:39

I've pretty much got about 4 marauder sprues with the torso and legs, and then got some bitz off ebay and will convert up from there. [didn't get the weapon sprues]

as for the 2nd warband I'll go Skaven and get a box of Night runners.

the other warbands I might make for brother inlaw would be an Empire Warband not which one yet.

Just waiting for my bitz to arrive and I should be able to start building up my Pit fighter warband.

was thinking of using these figs as my Dwarf Slayer & Ogre . [I'll have to do some weapon conversions on these.]

At the under coating stage of the Arena should get it hopefully finished by sunday night and get some pics posted soon.

Pit Fighter Warband Need Advice Gaspez_Ehuruk
Pit Fighter Warband Need Advice MK_Cyclops

Cheers
Greywolf
Back to top Go down
GreyWolf
Veteran
Veteran
GreyWolf

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Pit Fighter Warband Need Advice   Pit Fighter Warband Need Advice Icon_minitimeSat 20 Feb 2010 - 8:03

Got another question.

I have read the Pit fighter rules from Fanatic Issue #1 and #3. and today I finally got Town cryer issue #14 printed and read the rules set in there for a Pit fighter warband.

Which rules should I use? I want to play in my arena that I am building at the moment.

The rules from the fanatic show movement as being plotted [eg set moves that have set amount of squares and direction] does this rule also cover the Pit fighter article in the town cryer mag?

can anyone explain to me these rules better? eg which one i should use or are they all linked?

cheers
Greywolf
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pit Fighter Warband Need Advice   Pit Fighter Warband Need Advice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pit Fighter Warband Need Advice
Page 1 of 1