Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

White Dwarf Discussion

Go down 
+22
superscenic
vampirekhaine
Milliardo
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Zodiyum
Pirexian
Splendor
sartori
Mordheimer
Andy
WarbossKurgan
frog
MonkeyShaman
Captain Bernhardt
Myntokk
Turquoise Dwarf
magokiron
Drugart
Da Bank
Lysander
DeafNala
Mortimer
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Empty
PostSubject: White Dwarf Discussion   dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Icon_minitimeThu 26 Nov 2009 - 8:42

So, I thought why not begin a thread discussing White Dwarf??? (If that wont make GW shut the site down...)

I was namely thinking of the last issue, with the new Skaven Armybook. As usual, the models are absolutley awesome, and the new Deathmaster Snikch model is about the coolest skaven ever.

dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion M500738a_99060206086_SkavenSnikch_873x627

He looks like a giant shuriken that has grown a rat Smile

Also, the new Doomwheel and Screaming Bell/Plague Furnace is awesome. If I was playing Warhammer FB, I'd definately go with the new Skaven.

Also, the battle-report (Skaven vs Skaven vs Dwarves) was pretty cool, what with the Skaven players back-stabbing eachother despite being allies.

So, what you say, this thread unneccesary or a good, not half-bad, idea?
Back to top Go down
Mortimer
Warlord
Warlord
Mortimer

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Icon_minitimeThu 26 Nov 2009 - 9:41

I honestly haven't bought a White Dwarf in what must be 6 or more years now ... and mostly heard there is not much to the magazine anymore than a monthly miniature catalog ... which is a shame, it used to be filled with scenarios, mini-games and the occasional punch-out card building or scenery.

But I agree I do like the new Skaven.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Icon_minitimeThu 26 Nov 2009 - 9:51

Well, last time I checked, it was filled with scenarios at least. I definately think it is worth it Smile

THough, maybe a little too much LotR for my taste...
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Icon_minitimeThu 26 Nov 2009 - 10:09

WD died in australia around issue 310. I own issues 200-350, and all the issues prior to 300 I re-read all the time. anything after is just yuck.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Icon_minitimeThu 26 Nov 2009 - 10:25

Were at 359 here in Sweden (up to date with the UK I think, a week give or take).

I also enjoy the articles. in 359, there was a campaign for the Space Wolves vs Chaos (several special scenarios), aside form introducing several new LotR characters (stats, background, special rules etc.) and of course a very thorough and well written (and big) article on the new skaven, nackground of the clans and presenting the new models.

Sum summarum: I like.

About the new clanrats though: Dont like the fact they aren't 100% multipart. Left arm is static, and really hampers any attempts to convert them if you wish to use them in Mordheim (which I would like to as the models are really nice).

I thought that the idea of having a part of the model "melted" into the body was left behind years ago, and I was really dissapointed to see that was not the case. Especially since the multi-part right arms with handweapons/spears are also really cool and could very well be used in conjunction with the gutter runners.

But luck paying up for a whole box of clanrats, of which I will only use about half of the bodies (maybe 6 clanrats with shields for the warband, no more!) and getting access to their right arms, also creating too much contrast to the left arms for the gutter runners.

I thought the new give for WH was making the minis more interactive and convert-friendly.

Still, great looking models (if you want identically looking clanrats that is...)
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Icon_minitimeThu 26 Nov 2009 - 10:46

I used to SO look forward to the monthly arrival of my WD with all the UBERCOOL modelling & painting ideas, different approaches to the game(s) like the War Band rules...it was ALL just GREAT stuff. Sadly other than finding out what's new, the WD ceased to be of interest to moi as Mr.B. said in the low 300s...about the time they shut down all the national editions. SO I let my subscription expire & periodically reread the older editions. dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Suspect
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Icon_minitimeThu 26 Nov 2009 - 10:54

Really? I mean, I have several of the newest issues, and I cant really find anything to compain about. Maybe its just me having low standards Smile

Sure, it is quite expensive, and mostly its pics, but it is still a good source of inspiration. I do, however, agree with the fact that you got a lot more freebie goodies back in the days.

For example: Remember when Mordheimw as released, and everyone got a free Aenur, the sword of Twilight model? That was awesome! I think the last freebie was the "Mighty Empires" add-on where you got two hexagons and hexagon-features. Oh, and I think you got a free novel once since then also, but I didn't buy that issue for some reason... Razz
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Icon_minitimeThu 26 Nov 2009 - 11:22

Opheliate wrote:
Really? I mean, I have several of the newest issues, and I cant really find anything to compain about. Maybe its just me having low standards Smile

Sure, it is quite expensive, and mostly its pics, but it is still a good source of inspiration. I do, however, agree with the fact that you got a lot more freebie goodies back in the days.

For example: Remember when Mordheimw as released, and everyone got a free Aenur, the sword of Twilight model? That was awesome! I think the last freebie was the "Mighty Empires" add-on where you got two hexagons and hexagon-features. Oh, and I think you got a free novel once since then also, but I didn't buy that issue for some reason... Razz

How long have you been in the hobby? no offense, but the WD tends towards the newish members of the wargaming community. personaly I have been in it for around 6.5 years, and WD died for me around half a year ago (I still bought em for my collection).
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Icon_minitimeThu 26 Nov 2009 - 11:26

Hey Jon, if you enjoy the WD as it is now, you definitely should buy it...I just miss the way it was. As a non-subscriber this thread is of interest in that should a REALLY good issue of WD come out I might be persued to pick up a copy AND I can get the low down HERE.
Should the thread prove popular we could always sticky it. dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Fresse
Back to top Go down
Lysander
Warrior
Warrior
Lysander

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Icon_minitimeThu 26 Nov 2009 - 12:52

Quote :
How long have you been in the hobby? no offense,
but the WD tends towards the newish members of the wargaming community.
personaly I have been in it for around 6.5 years, and WD died for me
around half a year ago (I still bought em for my collection).

It seems to me, that your a verry uncommen 16 year old dude dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Icon_wink.

I start to buy WD at nr. 18 and for me it fucked up (or i at last cant ignor much longer) at nr. 140 (we are at nr. 167).

I will not spend a cent for it any longer. Once upon a time it was sooo good....
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Icon_minitimeThu 26 Nov 2009 - 14:08

Mr Bretonnia:

Well, I have been at it since at least 10 years back Smile
And I still think WD is first: Entertaining, Second: Educating (or third, but then wed have no second...). Worth its price anyway. Besides, I dont see how it matters.

DeafNala:

Yeah, I'll definately keep buying them, and discuss them here. I actually told a friend who is into Skaven he should check out the issue form above for the same reason. he isn't that interested in WD normally, so I guess its always good to have SOMEONE BUY THE MAGAZINES FOR YOU! dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Icon_mad
haha, just kidding, but yeah, I would love to keep this thread going!

And to all who oppose WD, feel free to comment IF you actually have read an issue and can comment on the articles/scenarios etc. Compaints about the general state of WD can be directed at the WD editors Smile
Back to top Go down
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Icon_minitimeThu 26 Nov 2009 - 15:59

I am finally jumping in. LOL

I have quit buying the WD for a few reasons but mostly cost at $9 USA this is way too much for a magazine and it no longer provides cool fluff that it used to.

Mordheimer and myself were discussing this the other day on the phone and the older WDs 220-250 (example) providing tons of fluff and stories.

Recently, GW comes out with the new IG Harker model (heavy bolter guy) and very very little in terms of fluff. I personally feel the fluff is a major component to the game. I never used to be this way until Mordheimer and I started working together on death squads and playing games together and Mordeimer can write some serious fluff, I call him a "fluffer" (some of you may get the joke as it is one we have) LOL.

Again, my two cents not saying one way or the other. We each spend money as we usually think best.

Happy Turkey Day to those in the USA.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Icon_minitimeThu 26 Nov 2009 - 16:12

Of course, fluff IS the number one most important thing, and I allways go "fluff" when playing. Which means I often get my arse kicked, because of my tendencies to over-fluff Smile

WD stimulates many other areas instead, such as inspiration and, mainly, keeping me up-to-date on the hobby. Besides, the feeling of a paper magazine in your hands beats flipping through web-pages any day Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Drugart
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Drugart

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Icon_minitimeFri 27 Nov 2009 - 5:06

I buy it every once in awhile. Was going to subscribe to it once before, but did not for some reason. While I do enjoy it and reading up on certain subjects, but they lean heavily on 40k or LoTR alot for my taste.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Icon_minitimeFri 27 Nov 2009 - 7:15

Anyhow, I will get a copy of the new issue as soon as it arrives, and we'll see what it contains Smile
Back to top Go down
magokiron
Ancient
Ancient
magokiron

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Icon_minitimeSat 28 Nov 2009 - 2:34

Most of you have already said this, but...

I don't buy the magazine anymore because it's VERY EXPENSIVE, it's a shemeless ad for GW products, and don't have all the cool stuff it used to carry back in the early days (I have been into GW wargaming for almost 20 years).

The index of an actual WD mag can be stripped to:

1 Cover: Behold the NEW "this month" gamusines!

2 Color pics of "this month" gamusines at the "News and new releases" pages

3 Designer's notes about "this month" gamusines codex.

4 How to paint "this month" gamusines

5 An interview with "this month" gamusine's sculptor

6 A battle report to show how "this month" gamusines BEAT THE HELL out of "last month" gamusines.

7 Lots of catalog pages showing all the "exiting new realeases" for "this month" gamusines

8 Oh, and there's stuff from our other core games too!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH but I'll pass.

BUT, if you find the magazine worthwile, by all means go for it! I just find better articles at the www and the cost to print an article THAT I REALLY WANT is much, much cheaper that to pay for a WD mag.

But then, that is only my opinion.

Best wishes.
Back to top Go down
Turquoise Dwarf
Champion
Champion
Turquoise Dwarf

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Icon_minitimeSat 28 Nov 2009 - 20:31

well my first white dwarf is 322 so I started in the dip. I would say that they are quite hit and miss. you get some amazing ones and a few that are mediocre. I think they are slowly getting better.
the one change I realy don't like is they have stopped putting what's in the white dwarf on the spine but thats only minor.

would it be good to review some of the old white dwarfs here to. I would be interested to know what was in white dwarfs before I started getting them.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Icon_minitimeSun 29 Nov 2009 - 5:39

Turquoise Dwarf wrote:

would it be good to review some of the old white dwarfs here to. I would be interested to know what was in white dwarfs before I started getting them.

Good idea! Then all of those who fancied the old style WD get to contribute as well Smile
Also, one CAN still buy old issues too, right? Any tips?
Back to top Go down
Myntokk
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Myntokk

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Icon_minitimeSun 29 Nov 2009 - 6:39

Well, I can say that I started around the time that 3rd ed. 40k came out, a couple years before 6th ed. fantasy came out, and at the time I really enjoyed it. I think I kept getting WD up until around issue 300 (not sure if I bought that one separately or not...). The only reason I quit is because it got very, very expensive and the rewards for subscribing got less and less impressive. Nowadays you do get a very cool subscription model along with the subscription, for $90 or so, although apparently you have to pay for it if you already hold a subscription at the time of it's release which is kind of a slap in the face of loyal customers, if you ask me.

Conversely, when I first started getting the magazine I payed $50 USD for the subscription (which was already a bit pricey at the time), but I got GORKAMORKA, the entire frickin game ($75 value or something), as a subscription bonus. Apparently they had just begun phasing it out. Imagine if GW was just handing out Space Hulk games with a WD subscription. Whenever I resubscribed there were various other tantalizing bonuses, such as $25 worth of mail-order goodies (which was a big deal since I used to order lots and lots of bitz), things like that.

That's another thing I miss - they used to send out TROLL magazine along with WD, which was basically a tiny mail-order catalogue that had all the part codes for bitz that were pertinent to whatever army or game they were featuring at the time, but occasionally featured mini-games, scenarios, and rules as well.

I haven't picked up and read a WD since 300, as far as I remember, so I can't give an opinion on exactly what the state of the magazine is nowadays. From the sounds of it, there are fewer mini-games, scenarios, or new lists/profiles and instead it more heavily features the newest factions and armies to be released. Nothing wrong with that, really.

EDIT: I don't have most of my older ones with me, but perhaps after I come back from Winter Vacation I'll nab a few and review "highlights" from the time period that I was subscribing. I remember being excited about WD around the time Mordheim came out in particular because the first 6 issues or so of Town Cryer were published there.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Icon_minitimeSun 29 Nov 2009 - 8:17

The Troll was one of the things about having a WD subscriptionthat I REALLY enjoyed...I sent off my first HATE message when they dropped it. In addition to special deals & a break down of the parts from new releases, there were some FINE articles about things to make with the various parts, modellling projects, & interesting little articles. GREAT STUFF! dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Fresse

Looking back on those WDs & realizing what GW COULD HAVE BEEN to the Gaming/Hobby Communitee, it is rather sad to see what they have become. dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Suspect
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Icon_minitimeSun 29 Nov 2009 - 12:28

AND on a positive note, four FAVORITE WDs: 296, 297, 298, & 301 Sept.-Nov. '04 & Feb. '05 contain the War Bands rules for WFB [max size 500 pts.]. Now realizing how rules normally effect moi; i.e., dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Sleep ...THIS IS saying something. I use these rules for my solo games of Mordheim. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion 544694

ALSO WD345 while, other than the pretty pictures, not of much interest, DID happily prove me wrong on an old prejudice. John Blanche to celebrate his 60th year among us took over The Standard Bearer column to talk about his recent hobby experiences. From previous articles, he had come across as a rather arrogant, pompous horse's petooty; in this one he seemed a different type altogether & I was pleased that I was wrong in my prior dislike of the man. Coupled with a greater appreciation of his work, this was a satisfying developement. dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion 544694
Back to top Go down
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Icon_minitimeSun 29 Nov 2009 - 13:30

I almost forgot about the "Troll" magazine. It was a nice addition to the WD.

I can't believe Myntook got GM with a subscription as they is really awesome but then it is sad because it was a game that they (GW) could have exploited for more sales and no one would have complained.

I really don't know what to say anymore as I enjoy their games but their business practices are unique.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jan 2010 - 9:43

WHITE DWARF ISSUE 360 - December 2009

dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion OCT091739_m

So, I'm sorry but I just recently got my hands on this issue as I've been away (and still is) so I have searched for a place that sells them, and at last, I found it.

So, the WD 360 is a conclusion of all the issues of the year. That said, much of the stuff in it are useless if you already got all of 2009 WD's. HOWEVER, if you dont got them, this could be an issue to pick up.

Besides listing some of the releases of the year, a great conclusion to the Campaign BLOOD & SAND for LotR are finished in some great Battle Reports that I found very exciting.

Scenarios for using a Fortress of Redemption, and a Tactica on Planetstrikes (with stratagem special rules for each of the races). I am not a 40k player, so I wouldn't know if it is any interesting at all to have, but I at least found the articles to be entertaining.

Also, building and paitning tips for the FOrtress of Redemption (40k) and Empire Coach Inn (which looks fantastic! Used for WHF).

In Eavy Metal masterclass, they paint the Skaven Verminlord from scratch and gives tips on a little converting too, and a little lesson in Directional Lightning paint technique.

It was when I turned that last page I realised I had already reached the Event Diary and the last pages of the issue. The recap of the year and the battle-reports took up that many pages! I felt like I wanted more, more of everything, instead of much of almost nothing.

As such, I cant really recommend anyone to go out and get this issue, except for any WD fans who accidentally missed all WD's of 2009, and has a fascination with Lord of the Rings and sieges. For the rest of us, let's hope the new decennia begins better than the last one ended.
Back to top Go down
Captain Bernhardt
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Captain Bernhardt

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jan 2010 - 10:25

humm, interesting discussion. and it states exactly what I thought, WD used to be ubercool! I just couldn't wait to get my issue but somewhere around 300 they started detoriating so I simply let my subscription expire. The biggest proof I have is a comparison between WD 280 and WD 334 (these are UK numberings). First thing you notice if you open them is the table of contents. In WD 280 it's about 2 to 3 times as long! secondly there's always been some advertising in the front pages but in WD285 the articles start at page 8, in the WD334 they start at a whopping page 40!!
But the most striking comparison: they both feature a tactica about fast cavalry: in WD 280 it counts 8 pages of text written in small print of which approx. 3 pages of pictures. The tactica in WD334 counts only 5 pages in big letters of which 4 page are pictures!! do the math!! and not only this but reading through both articles at the newer one I thought, okay that's obvious! but at the older tactica I really had the feeling I was learning new trics! I advise everyone who has these two issues to compare these articles!

It's not just these issues but generaly the older issues have waaaay more and cooler content (you couldn't read through them in one day, these days you can!) more fluff and they had some very cool contents about all the specialist games! there were even articles that were only fluff and nothing else!

about the free goodies: that also stopped after mighty empires dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Icon_cry
(and to be honoust I didn't even expect anything then, that was the first (and last) goodie for a very long time)

but it's not all bad!!: last summer we took one subscription with 3 friends to split the costs and I have noticed that they are improving again! if they keep this up then WD might actually become worth it's price again

ofcourse... those are just my humble opinions
cheers! dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Icon_king
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jan 2010 - 10:38

I agree, there have been some very low standard issues, but the last six months, I have noticed they have certainly improved! The december issue is an exception to this, obviously, but the Skaven issue, which I talk about in the first post, was a great one, and the one before that too (concentrated on the Sons of Fenris Space Wolves, with a lot of fluff, stories and stuff.)

I will keep posting updates on WD as time goes by, and feel free to comment them, or even add something if you have an issue yourself and feels I missed something or the other.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: White Dwarf Discussion   dwarf - White Dwarf Discussion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

White Dwarf Discussion
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next