Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Pistols using xbow pistol rules?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Ordo_Lyrae
Youngblood
Youngblood
Ordo_Lyrae

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders
Achievements earned: none

Pistols using xbow pistol rules? Empty
PostSubject: Pistols using xbow pistol rules?   Pistols using xbow pistol rules? Icon_minitimeFri 7 Aug 2009 - 7:10

Just like it sounds. Considering how much confusion there is regarding pistols in HtH why not just make pistols function like an xbow pistol?

You get 1 shot before combat begins at -2 to hit using BS instead of having to treat pistols like extra weapons.

My questions are:
a) does this make pistols unbalanced? my thinking is no since regular pistols are the same price as xbow pistols, have less range and have the prepare shot rule and are only -2 AS instead of -1.

b) should a brace give you 2 shots? once again I lean towards no as this may be TOO much in that you get 2 shots (with a dueling pistol and BS 4 your still hitting on 4's due to the accuracy rule with str 4 and -2 AS) before your opponent gets the opportunity to attack...

So tell me what you think: an elegant solution to a perplexing rule using an already existing rule or am I completely off and turning pistols into uber weapons of DOOM or somewhere in between?
Back to top Go down
JAFisher44
General
General
JAFisher44

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Pistols using xbow pistol rules?   Pistols using xbow pistol rules? Icon_minitimeFri 7 Aug 2009 - 7:26

Hmmm, -2 to hit is pretty brutal. I would prefer pistols as they work now.
Back to top Go down
Ordo_Lyrae
Youngblood
Youngblood
Ordo_Lyrae

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Pistols using xbow pistol rules?   Pistols using xbow pistol rules? Icon_minitimeFri 7 Aug 2009 - 19:10

Agreed, however when are you not taking -2 to hit with a pistol? due to the short range your generally moving to get in range of your target and your almost always at long range, all of which totals -2 to hit.

The strength of this would be that this shot gets resolved before any blows are struck in HtH meaning a pistol would always get its shot first, doesn't matter if they are charging, have higher I and combat reflexes/spear, it always goes before anything else.

And finally per my example above with a model with BS4 (the only ones I could see giving a pistol to in the first place) with a dueling pistol (which has the accuracy special rule giving it +1 to hit) even with the -2 your still hitting on a 4+. Even if its just a regular pistol your still hitting on 5+. Admittedly in HtH your probably hitting on a 3 or 4 depending on who your in combat with but the -2 to hit isn't necessarily as bad as it may seem.
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Pistols using xbow pistol rules?   Pistols using xbow pistol rules? Icon_minitimeSun 9 Aug 2009 - 19:34

I thought of doing this very thing for a house rule, without the -2 to hit, but in addition limit pistols so you can't fire when charged if you just shot on your previous turn. I gave it up when i realized i don't know how to balance weapons any better than the designers of the game, even if it makes more sense to change the rules...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pistols using xbow pistol rules?   Pistols using xbow pistol rules? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pistols using xbow pistol rules?
Page 1 of 1