Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins...

Go down 
+5
Ragnar
DeafNala
folketsfiende
perfesser
Pathfinder Dubstyles
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: None

Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins... Empty
PostSubject: Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins...   Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins... Icon_minitimeWed 24 Jun 2009 - 4:02

I'm trying to start, and finish, painting my Night Goblins for the warband list I'm authoring. Some encouragement might help me get motivated to keep working!

I don't have a lot of experience with greenskins, so any advice would be helpful. I have been messing around with skin tones, and i now present the best of my results thus far...

The first image i painted tonight and it took about 30 minutes. The second was done months ago and took considerably longer, but i can't remember the colors or techniques i used... While it does look better i will most likely go for the quicker method.

Even in the poor lighting condition i used, the camera picked up every speck of dust and the roughness of my paints, which i apparently didn't water down enough! Also the eyes look very sloppy, but you can't tell in person. The edges between highlights look really harsh in the photos but in person they blend better.
Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins... IMG_0021
goblin green with a thraka green wash, goblin green highlight, rotting flesh/goblin green highlight

Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins... IMG_0022
Can't recall, might be dark angels green, snot green, goblin green, with rotting flesh/goblin green highlight.

P.S. a spider attacked me while i was typing this.
Back to top Go down
perfesser
Champion
Champion
perfesser

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins...   Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins... Icon_minitimeWed 24 Jun 2009 - 5:39

Looks really good. The green transitions are a bit smoother in the faster method with the wash.

That's great green progression as well--the skin tone is really nice. It has the paleness one would expect from Goblins the shun sunlight and it really pops with the dark robes.
Back to top Go down
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
folketsfiende

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins...   Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins... Icon_minitimeWed 24 Jun 2009 - 9:27

I agree with perfesser, the first one looks really good. I myself tend to go for a darker green when painting greenskins, usually (on a black basecoat, of course):
Cayman green, drybrushed (It's a Vallejo Game Color)
American camo green, drybrushed (at least I think that's its name, a Vallejo Model Color)
Goblin green, highlights
Thraka green, a careful wash

I'll see if I can manage to take some pics, started painting a couple of squig hoppers for my son yesterday, though I think you are already headed the right way!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins...   Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins... Icon_minitimeWed 24 Jun 2009 - 11:50

VERY NICE START! Both skin variants have a nice smooth blend of colors; I like the lighter highlights on the second one slightly more...much better than GW's St. Patrick's Day look Suspect . Have you noticed how much nastier the new Night Goblins look in comparison to the old Lads...probably because they're shorter Suspect .
REALLY good photos tend to make minis look REALLY bad; has something to do with being blown up several times larger than they actually are.
Keep up the GOOD WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Ragnar
Warrior
Warrior
Ragnar

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins...   Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins... Icon_minitimeWed 24 Jun 2009 - 14:59

Look pretty good now, are you going to highlight more on the clothes area too??
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins...   Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins... Icon_minitimeWed 24 Jun 2009 - 17:15

About the picture, i used he macro setting and set the exposure time to 4 seconds to make the pic brighter, since it was taken at night, with only a single light source in the room. Still trying to figure out all the settings, and i need to make a permanent photo taking set up.

And yes i am going to paint the rest of the model, this is just me trying to find a skin tone i like! I like the 2nd one better, but it takes so much more time. Maybe i can get a similar effect if i give the first one one more layer of highlights.
Back to top Go down
Mo!
Ancient
Ancient

Trading Reputation : 6

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins...   Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins... Icon_minitimeWed 24 Jun 2009 - 18:14

Nice sickly looking skin I love it!
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins...   Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins... Icon_minitimeWed 24 Jun 2009 - 23:24

Argh! I painted the rest of the first goblin, then i tried to make yellow dags around his hood... lets just say it didn't work out, i am going to take a break and start over on the dags later.

edit, here's a pic, terrible! change of heart, it is ok, i will call this model done and move on, he is just a henchman after all!
Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins... IMG_0041
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins...   Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins... Icon_minitimeThu 25 Jun 2009 - 3:09

I gave up on dags and gave checks a shot. I think it turned out better.
Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins... IMG_0042
Back to top Go down
perfesser
Champion
Champion
perfesser

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins...   Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins... Icon_minitimeThu 25 Jun 2009 - 3:12

What's wrong with that? I like it.

What are you expecting / trying to achieve with the yellow? Perfectly straight lines can take forever...

EDIT: Post timing collision! The checks are fabulous Smile (And you can mix and match patterns for character and, as long as the colour is the same, they'll work together really nicely)

Last edited by perfesser on Thu 25 Jun 2009 - 4:59; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
PitFighterTrainer
Ancient
Ancient
PitFighterTrainer

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pit Fighters (Unofficial) Pit Fighters (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins...   Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins... Icon_minitimeThu 25 Jun 2009 - 3:32

Also, from another post here somewhere, it's easier to do the yellow, and then hit it with the black/greyish color to clean up the yellow slowly as you see fit.
Back to top Go down
ombres13

ombres13

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins...   Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins... Icon_minitimeFri 26 Jun 2009 - 5:32

The checks are looking nice. I liked the original look you were trying.. but the checks fit better IMO. The original look reminds me too much of THE REDEMPTIONISTS!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins...   Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins... Icon_minitimeFri 26 Jun 2009 - 11:16

Wow, nice dag marks. That is tricky, but you've done it well.

edit: I'm sorry, I meant to say that I like the check marks, which are way trickier than dags.

Last edited by UnderBheit on Fri 26 Jun 2009 - 20:25; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins...   Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins... Icon_minitimeFri 26 Jun 2009 - 11:47

VERY NICE PROGRESS! Being a fairly indecisive person, I like both patterns. Keep up the GOOD WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins...   Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins... Icon_minitimeSat 27 Jun 2009 - 4:01

I'm going to use checks dags and wavy lines (squiggly dags, like sun rays almost) Thanks for the encouragement, i hope to get some more goblins done this weekend, stay tuned for updates!

Update: Working on a Squig Herder Conversion here is the WiP:
Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins... IMG_0052
Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins... IMG_0050

And from a recent game with my Night Goblins, the Snotlings held up a Dwarf Slayer long enough for my warband to... er... rout!
Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins... IMG_0049
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins...   Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins... Icon_minitimeWed 1 Jul 2009 - 1:09

I messed around with a new palette and i must say that the red pleases me. My Night Goblins will paint their bows and arrows red to make them shoot faster Elf

If i can keep up the pace of one model a day i'll be done with this warband by the end of the month!
Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins... IMG_0060
Back to top Go down
ombres13

ombres13

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins...   Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins... Icon_minitimeWed 1 Jul 2009 - 1:15

waaagh?
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins...   Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins... Icon_minitimeWed 1 Jul 2009 - 1:25

Ombres! I'm like talking to you on Gmail chat as i type this, i should call you so we can truly feel the technology age communication supersaturation!
Back to top Go down
dwi
Warlord
Warlord
dwi

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins...   Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins... Icon_minitimeWed 1 Jul 2009 - 8:46

Well I must say that I like them,well done! thumbsup
Can you maybe greenstuff one of your gobos with a long beard so we have a mini greenskin DeafNala? Deaf Nala Smiley
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins...   Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins... Icon_minitimeWed 1 Jul 2009 - 9:30

REALLY COOL! The Lads are looking GREAT! VERY NICE paint job! By the end of the month you'll have a FINE band of little green psychos to enjoy gaming with for years to come. Night Goblins never fail to bring out a smile or a chuckle...THE major reason I LOVE 'EM! Keep up the GOOD WORK! thumbsup

The Lads about town shot was cool. Using your Snotlings to cover an advance in a different direction WAS a FINE strategy. Karate
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins...   Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Night Goblins, I never was good at painting greenskins...
Page 1 of 1