Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

GW Foundation paints?

Go down 
+2
Eliazar
Diegan
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Diegan
Champion
Champion
Diegan

Trading Reputation : 0

GW Foundation paints? Empty
PostSubject: GW Foundation paints?   GW Foundation paints? Icon_minitimeThu 18 Jun 2009 - 13:11

Hi, what's the use of the foundation paints? I was offered a cheap foundation paintings set, and I dunno if it would be a good purchase, because I don't really understand what are they used for.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1290200&prodId=prod1095433
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: GW Foundation paints?   GW Foundation paints? Icon_minitimeThu 18 Jun 2009 - 13:16

Foundation paints have a higher number of pigments and thus cover a surface much better than ordinary colour. For example, you can use the foundation yellow to get a nice yellow coat on a miniature which was undercoated black, whereas you'd need to paint about 3 to 5 layers of ordinary yellow until the black stops showing heavily.
Back to top Go down
catferret
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
catferret

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: GW Foundation paints?   GW Foundation paints? Icon_minitimeThu 18 Jun 2009 - 13:18

Basically, they take less coats over any undercoat to produce a good coverage.

One use is to provide a good base to put another colour over the top. Mechrite Red looks slightly pink, but a coat of normal red on top of that will give you a solid smooth red starting from a black undercoat. Same with Iyanden Darksun for Yellows.

Other colours like Khemri Brown and Dheneb Stone can be used in their own right as fantastic colours for cloth and such if you want a great beige tone.

Orchide Shade is great for painting orc skin.

Charadon Granite is amazing for any drab militaryish grey/green. Or for basecoating stone. Or also orc skin.

Treat them like you would any other paint really. Add water as with all paints. Even then, they will cover the undercoat in 1 or 2 coats.
Back to top Go down
Diegan
Champion
Champion
Diegan

PostSubject: Re: GW Foundation paints?   GW Foundation paints? Icon_minitimeThu 18 Jun 2009 - 13:20

So... they would be used only on those situations?

I mean, for any other case, I should use normal ones?

They are not primers, right?
Back to top Go down
TarZaN
Warrior
Warrior
TarZaN

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: GW Foundation paints?   GW Foundation paints? Icon_minitimeThu 18 Jun 2009 - 17:18

I used this to my first mini as a first layer of paint.

https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/painting-and-modelling-f3/first-miniature-painting-wip-t2120.htm

And it workt great Very Happy
Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: GW Foundation paints?   GW Foundation paints? Icon_minitimeThu 18 Jun 2009 - 17:33

The Foundation paints are brilliant! Combined with the new Washes (and their normal paints for some things) they really can transform they results you can achieve.

I love 'em!
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
Mexican_Ninja
Hero
Hero
Mexican_Ninja

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pit Fighters (Unofficial) Pit Fighters (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: GW Foundation paints?   GW Foundation paints? Icon_minitimeFri 19 Jun 2009 - 18:49

I love the foundation paints. I'm not the best painter, and painting isn't something I jump to but these paints make the job easier. Before these I painted an Empire army with lots of white and blue and it took a lot of coats to get the white correct, it was much easier using foundation paints when I started my brets with my Knights Templar theme.
Cathayan Monk 1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GW Foundation paints?   GW Foundation paints? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

GW Foundation paints?
Page 1 of 1