Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Which paints to use?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Trading Reputation : 12

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

Which paints to use? Empty
PostSubject: Which paints to use?   Which paints to use? Icon_minitimeSun 26 Aug 2007 - 16:01

Hi there!

I was wondering what acrylic paints you guys like to use.

Do you use the Games Workshop pots or any other brand?

I personnally prefer the Vallejo paints since they cost the same but contain 2ml more and have a squeeze-bottle system that prevents the paints from drying out and allow for a much better dosage.

Are there any other paints you recommend?

Tom
Back to top Go down
http://boringmordheimblog.blogspot.com
Brahm Tazoul
Captain
Captain
Brahm Tazoul

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Which paints to use?   Which paints to use? Icon_minitimeMon 27 Aug 2007 - 22:12

While I do use Vallejo because they are cheap (and that's the ONLY reason) I do prefer the GW paints because of the difference in viscosity between the two. I find the browns from Vallejo are runny as day-old cold eggs, and their yellows don't coat worth a pinch. I find that the Foundation line from GW (while limited in colors) is great! I've never seen a red cover black primer with one coat before. It's just awesome.

I also like the P3 paints from Privateer Press. While their yellows have the same problem that most do (not coating very well) I find that their color range is extensive enough and you get a good quantity of paint for the price (GW are $4.25/pot while P3 are $3/pot for 20% more paint).

I've found that undercoating with mixed colors works well (I've never seen a red-pop like it does after I painted a Tyranid pepto-bismol pink then painted the red) no matter what paint I've used. For that case, I actually like the Vallejo paints, as the squeeze bottle enables me to make a nice puddle of mix to undercoat my models with.

I'd just like to take this chance to compliment you on your work, Mr.Tom. Beautiful models, great conversions, awesome tables. Great job!

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
http://mrp.shawwebspace.ca
JohnYoung
General
General
JohnYoung

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Which paints to use?   Which paints to use? Icon_minitimeTue 28 Aug 2007 - 5:02

Nice usefull topic. I'll buy some new paints soon because I'm planning to finally finish my warband. Keep advice coming hehe. Im from Quebec though so I don't know if we have all these brand here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/skankinriot
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Which paints to use?   Which paints to use? Icon_minitimeTue 28 Aug 2007 - 12:21

Don't worry! I'm sure you can find Vallejo in Canada.
Au Quebec sans doute aussi Wink

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Brahm Tazoul
Captain
Captain
Brahm Tazoul

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Which paints to use?   Which paints to use? Icon_minitimeTue 28 Aug 2007 - 18:24

JohnYoung wrote:
Nice usefull topic. I'll buy some new paints soon because I'm planning to finally finish my warband. Keep advice coming hehe. Im from Quebec though so I don't know if we have all these brand here.
I'm from Alberta, and I'm sure that all of the brands that I mentioned are available in Canada. If not, just ask, and I'll add them to my webstore for you! Cool
Back to top Go down
http://mrp.shawwebspace.ca
Hari
Youngblood
Youngblood
Hari

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Which paints to use?   Which paints to use? Icon_minitimeMon 3 Sep 2007 - 20:46

My favourite colors are from revell. they are thicker than vallejo and GW and very cheap (between € 2 and 2,50/ 18ml). Other colors from HobbyLine (€ 2,50/20ml), I would compare them to valejo and they offer a lot of special colors (for special waggons; my father is collecting, building, owning a miniature railway installation)
and in addition I found a brand in a little shop I don't know the name cause tom has it at the moment. (yellow & lila). they cost 1,80 each and are OK!
please tom tell the name!

greetz hari
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Which paints to use?   Which paints to use? Icon_minitimeMon 3 Sep 2007 - 23:54

The name you are looking for Hari is "WACO Acrylic paints"

Had to dig the the pot out from under all my fantaaaaastic Vallejos geek
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which paints to use?   Which paints to use? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which paints to use?
Page 1 of 1