Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
lord marcus
Veteran
Veteran
lord marcus

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog Empty
PostSubject: warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog   warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog Icon_minitimeSun 12 Apr 2009 - 6:24

Quatar is ancient. So are its defenders. Called the palace of corpses after the ransacking and death dealing of nagash (may his soul be thrice damned to an eternity in torment) Quatar has been awoken from its long slumber. The great vizier has awoken the great kings, and they convened to decide the future of their city. After long debate, king Amon-zar was selected to become ruler and head of the coalition of kings, those rulers of Quatar who had awoken from their slumber to answer the vizier’s call.

His rule secure, Amon-zar has embarked on an extensive campaign of warfare to gather slaves and tribute from the rulers of distant lands, and has bowed before the seat of settra to show his cities loyalty to the first king of the sands.

----------

Intro fluff piece is there. This is to be my blog of my tomb kings army. Within you will see the mustering of the legions of d’jaf, death god of nehekhara, and the wonders that an imagination and love of ancient history can produce. Be warned……things will get whacky.

Onto the army, or what I have at the moment. I am currently taking pictures and writing fluff for each unit that I have right now, so bear with me as I get through the finished stuff and onto the WIP.

----------

Tomb prince Amon-Phakta

Amon-Phakta is the 2nd son of king Amon-zar, and thus supreme commander of the armies of Quatar second only to his father. During his lifetime the prince led many daring raids into the mountains to push back the greenskin menace, and secured a number of basalt and bronze mines for his father. It was a grievous blow to the king when Amon-Phakta was cut down by the orc warlord irontoof. The king subsequently led an army to avenge his son, and personally cut down the warlord. For the entire march back to Quatar, through rocky terrain and deluge’s of rainfall, the king bore his son in his arms back to the city, where he was mummified and entombed with great honor in the king’s pyramid, in a side chamber to the left of the king’s tomb vault.

After the court of kings elected his father supreme council leader, Amon-Phakta begged his father to allow him the chance to wipe out the greenskins from the mountains around Quatar and secure her well being. The king decreed an army be raised from the warriors stationed in the city necropolis, and so it was. Now Amon-Phakta fights at the forefront against the orcs, and awaits his father to join the battle.

warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog P1003921

warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog P1003922

warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog P1003924

Last edited by lord marcus on Sun 12 Apr 2009 - 22:59; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog   warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog Icon_minitimeSun 12 Apr 2009 - 11:05

GOOD START! This will be a particularly interesting blog to follow for moi as I MAY wind up painting my friend, John's Tomb King army.
The Prince turned out REALLY nicely. The muted shades you chose give the mini a Faded Glory look; VERY in character. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
lord marcus
Veteran
Veteran
lord marcus

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog   warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog Icon_minitimeSun 12 Apr 2009 - 14:53

thanks you very much deafnala. this is very interesting, is he (jhon) by chance willing to trade/sell some extra bitz?

secondly, thank you again. i can see what you mean by faded glory. quatar was originally called "the white city" so i figured i'd go with a scheme of white and bronze, with a light khaki, some little details in purple, and black to completment.

liche priest, then warriors are next.
Back to top Go down
Drugart
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Drugart

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog   warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog Icon_minitimeMon 13 Apr 2009 - 13:32

Great start. REady to see some more undead roaming the dunes of oblivian quickly disposing anything that comes there way. My poor dwarfs will have a rough time out there, due to not moving out of the way very fast. Sad
Back to top Go down
lord marcus
Veteran
Veteran
lord marcus

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog   warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog Icon_minitimeMon 13 Apr 2009 - 22:22

"All this sand is getting mae beard tangled! who dunnae a blasted good job of getting us inta this mess?"
Back to top Go down
Drugart
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Drugart

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog   warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog Icon_minitimeMon 13 Apr 2009 - 22:40

Ill be usin ya finger bones fer a toothpick dere.
Back to top Go down
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog   warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog Icon_minitimeMon 13 Apr 2009 - 22:56

Good start! Keep it going.
Back to top Go down
lord marcus
Veteran
Veteran
lord marcus

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog   warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009 - 3:47

the tomb guard of d'jaf
-----------------------

quatar has always been famed for its magnificent architecture and palace. one of the most commonly overlooked but powerfull beauty from the white city are the legion of d'jaf, the tomb guard of quatar.

traditionally, soldiers of quatar are buried with white shields to signify thier years of dedication to protecting the city. the tomb guard are an exception. as set down by the accord of d'jaf thousands of years ago between the priesthood of the jackal god and the kings of the city, the tomb guard were dedicated to d'jaf, god of death. thus empowered by the jackal gods priesthood, the tomb guards shields were painted black to show thier devotion to thier cities patron god and strike fear into the hearts of the enemy.

one of the concessions made by the kings of the white city in the accord of d'jaf was that not only would the kings be protected by the warriors of the jackal god, but the temple of d'jaf would be assigned its own regiment of the elite. even now the massive area set aside for the monolith like temple of d'jaf is filled with the tomb vaults of succesive regiments of dead tomb guard, thus alowwing the priesthood its own private army (after nagash's wiping of nehekhara, of course - note that the priesthood of d'jaf is NOT the mortuary cult and that they are seperate priestly bodies... a fact i am quite excited to take advantage of...watch this space)

even now they bear thier weapons into battle, even now enemies quail in fear at the sight of the jackal gods chosen warriors!!!

--------------

ok, so i am breaking with the general plan of going over my completed units in this update and the next because i have painted both my test tomb guard and my 1rst ushabti of ptra (different ushabti for different gods)

sorry for the shield pic, my camera's low on juice, so i got the best i could as of now.

warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog P1003948

warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog P1003950

warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog P1003951
Back to top Go down
lord marcus
Veteran
Veteran
lord marcus

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog   warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009 - 22:23

any thoughts guys???
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog   warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009 - 22:56

From what I can see it looks pretty good. It's VERY hard to get a proper idea with the white background. Shocked
Back to top Go down
lord marcus
Veteran
Veteran
lord marcus

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog   warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog Icon_minitimeThu 16 Apr 2009 - 1:04

what do you suggest for a background then?
Back to top Go down
Drugart
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Drugart

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog   warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog Icon_minitimeThu 16 Apr 2009 - 1:21

You can use a blue piece of paper board or something. With the white background and your flash, makes the minis glare. They do look great so far, keep going!
Back to top Go down
lord marcus
Veteran
Veteran
lord marcus

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog   warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog Icon_minitimeThu 16 Apr 2009 - 4:08

will do, 1rst ushabti of phakth tommorow.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog   warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog Icon_minitimeThu 16 Apr 2009 - 10:20

lord marcus wrote:
what do you suggest for a background then?

Funny thing about backgrounds, other than the scenic variety, is that they're at their best when you don't notice or remember them. SO...I did a browse of the Gallery. Shades of Grey & Charcoal seem to be the vogue with our better painters. The Blue Drugart suggested would also be attractive.
Also try less direct lighting; i.e., shine the light off the ceiling or on a spot over the object being photoed. AND...turn off or cover your flash.
There's a tutorial [sounds like advice on flute playing Suspect ] in that section about taking good photos. Presentation is a very important element in showing off your minis & especially so with fluff stuff. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
lord marcus
Veteran
Veteran
lord marcus

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog   warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog Icon_minitimeThu 16 Apr 2009 - 22:30

thank you deaf....i may not be able ot get blue paper, but i'll try my darndest to get good pics.
Back to top Go down
lord marcus
Veteran
Veteran
lord marcus

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog   warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog Icon_minitimeFri 17 Apr 2009 - 4:49

quick fluff overview of the ushabti of quatar

----

ushabti statues guard every dynasty pyramid. as such, thousands of ushabti have been created for the kings of quatar. as politics shift in the council of unliving kings, so do the ushabti. currently, a hundred ushabti each, dedicated to phakth and geheb the gods of eagles and the earth, guard king Amon-zar's pyramid on the outside. on the inside, many more dtand guard over the vaults, mostly dedicated to d'jaf.

---

ok. i have the first ushabti of phakth and a wip pic of my 1rst TG standard bearer for you.

----

warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog P1003979

warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog P1003980

warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog P1003982

and the tomb guard STD WIP

warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog P1003985

note that the wash on the ushabti is a bit darker than what the pics show. i was thinking of redoing the beak white but i wasn't sure. the muscles i was thinking of highlighting.

any washes used on ushabti are meant to confer the aspect of divine power to the model, and to show my current opinion that they are also partially mummified to keep the "rock/wood/metal" together, in addition to magic.

the standard bearer is a kitbash, like my other tomb guard, of grave guard bitz and tomb king bitz. belive it or not his sword comes from the GG sprue, and i think it is pretty tomb kingy.
Back to top Go down
lord marcus
Veteran
Veteran
lord marcus

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog   warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog Icon_minitimeMon 20 Apr 2009 - 4:55

headway is being made.

ushabti of usurian are finnaly GS complete, and are ready for painting.

more stuff is being painted.

cya.
Back to top Go down
dwi
Warlord
Warlord
dwi

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog   warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog Icon_minitimeTue 5 May 2009 - 22:46

OH MY GOD IT'S MUMMEY RUN LIKE HELL!!!!!! affraid

Ok me and my buddy love the Tome Kings amry so lets more!
Oh and your dooing gerate! thumbsup I just hope I don't turn in too Deaf
wateing for more Deaf Nala Smiley
Back to top Go down
lord marcus
Veteran
Veteran
lord marcus

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog   warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog Icon_minitimeWed 6 May 2009 - 1:57

more ushabti and stuff is in the pipeline, although it is stalled due to a large amount of bretonnians that landed at my doorstep...... Deaf Nala Smiley
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog   warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog Icon_minitimeWed 6 May 2009 - 10:45

Even as someone who is NOT a Tomb Kings Fan, I'd HAVE to say those ARE very cool minis. The Statue Guy turned out REALLY nicely, AND his Skinny Friend HAS alot of potential. Keep up the GOOD WORK! thumbsup

@dwi: You DEFINITELY do NOT want to turn into me. I' been trying to disassociate myself from me for years, but no matter where I go, there I am. Suspect
Back to top Go down
lord marcus
Veteran
Veteran
lord marcus

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog   warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog Icon_minitimeThu 7 May 2009 - 0:43

and there you are again. more ushabti are done, as are the skinny friends.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog   warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

warriors of the sands, a tomb kings blog
Page 1 of 1