Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Falling debris?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MonkeyShaman
General
General
MonkeyShaman

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead
Achievements earned: none

Falling debris? Empty
PostSubject: Falling debris?   Falling debris? Icon_minitimeTue 17 Feb 2009 - 23:33

Okay, so I've googled (albeit I might not have googled hard enough) rules for falling debris.
As in pushing down heavy objects/other enemies onto passing/charging/loitering enemies.
So far I havent found anything, We used to play it by making a strenght test for the object itself and
a "countering movement test" for lack of a more vague description. Razz

Basically, if the base of the object is as large as the base of the character/monster pushing it then it will fall (assuming its a. not a fixed location like a finely masoned chimney thats been refurbished after the comet or B. a crate full of antimatter Suspect ) as long as the character/monster passes his strength test.
If the character was in transit you made a movement test based on the enemy's movement to determine if you either make a wet misty cloud of the henchman, miss him completely (item gets stuck on the edge and falls down only seconds after he passes)
or blocks his path and in essence create a piece of difficult/impassable terrain only a hair in front of his nose. Mad
This works fine but if there is an official ruling or a more streamlined version of this I'd be glad to hear it!

Last edited by MonkeyShaman on Wed 18 Feb 2009 - 5:44; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.ministryowaaagh.site50.net
PitFighterTrainer
Ancient
Ancient
PitFighterTrainer

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pit Fighters (Unofficial) Pit Fighters (Unofficial)

Falling debris? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Falling debris?   Falling debris? Icon_minitimeWed 18 Feb 2009 - 4:15

It would be house rule of course, but I would think Initiative test on the model that is being targeted would prevent it from being 'crushed'. Also, perhaps Strength test against the object being pushed over as well. Just my two groats...
Back to top Go down
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: None

Falling debris? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Falling debris?   Falling debris? Icon_minitimeWed 18 Feb 2009 - 4:21

1) Model make an initiative test
2) Must be "X" amount of inches within edge to be pushed (4 inches).
3) Must be a object that all agree can be moved.
4) Works like a diving charge..roll a 4+ to score a hit.
5) Work out normall wounding and saves.
Back to top Go down
MonkeyShaman
General
General
MonkeyShaman

Personal Info

Falling debris? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Falling debris?   Falling debris? Icon_minitimeWed 18 Feb 2009 - 6:46

We are talking about things that are already on the edge, such as makeshift barricades etc.
These are pieces of movable terrain, a half a tonne broken bronze statue of a mounted knight just doesnt disappear into thin air, and you loose that LOS protection.

Diving charge is a martrix move for dealing with entering CC from above as in negatable characters falling full throttle screaming GERONIMO/SQUEE FOR ESHIN!

When standing still it is ruled as a large improvised projectile in a general blunderbus direction (ie more a question of timing than of aiming.)

There that problem endeth.

The movement part is like a vertical version of a running tackle intercept and can very well be judged by initiative vs initiative although that removes some survivability and some of the spontanious chuck norrisism of it.
a more attentive and perhaps more authentic test would be basic movement vs strength (as in is guy X strong enough to push it over the edge faster than guy Y gets into CC with guy Z)
the movement vs. D6 is quite fair in my opinion as it brings out the reaction/timing+strength vs. speed element. this said Id probably be willing to play against any of these rulings. Very Happy

I have a vague memory of a trap from an annual used during intercept, any one remember the wording on that one?

EDIT:
Does any one have more "Chuck Norrisisms"? as in rules for using modular terrain to the fullest?
Back to top Go down
Identity
Elder
Elder
Identity

Trading Reputation : -2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

Falling debris? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Falling debris?   Falling debris? Icon_minitimeWed 18 Feb 2009 - 7:14

MonkeyShaman wrote:
Does any one have more "Chuck Norrisisms"? as in rules for using modular terrain to the fullest?
Chuck Norris can re-roll a re-roll.

Does that count? Wink
Back to top Go down
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

Falling debris? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Falling debris?   Falling debris? Icon_minitimeWed 18 Feb 2009 - 12:30

When catapults and trebuchets fired their loads of stone block would shatter on impact. The chips of flying rock did more damage than the rock did as it landed. This varied depending on the surface on which the missile landed: soft mud: possibly no break up at-all, to: stone: breaks into a bizzilion flying chips each capable of killing.
Back to top Go down
MonkeyShaman
General
General
MonkeyShaman

Personal Info

Falling debris? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Falling debris?   Falling debris? Icon_minitimeThu 19 Feb 2009 - 13:49

@ Identity: lol, gonna have to wait for that DP, "Walker Tilean Road Warden"
(Albeit an awesome idea, as the one who invented the character would of course be god/honorary Chuck) I was thinking more like AOT improvised shields, table kicking and general scenerery demolition Very Happy
Sort of like the endless action packed fun of an ogre kicking a halfling out the window in CC with a critical hit making him paint the house across the street red. cheers

@ Chad: Of course if you push a badly masoned decrepid piece of wall section from the top floor of a cathedral
the effects might be different, Siege engines arenĀ“t really my strong point as I have only used them with fleshier materials Twisted Evil

About the I vs. I test:
I thought it sounded mighty familiar, and as I was doing some light reading yesterday and looked at the the skill lists and found the skill lightning reflexes.
As it is a skill I think it would be wierd to apply it on this situation for anyone without the skill?
Back to top Go down
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info

Falling debris? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Falling debris?   Falling debris? Icon_minitimeThu 19 Feb 2009 - 14:04

Not necesarily, a block of masonry is more likely to break up than a a solid block.
Back to top Go down
MonkeyShaman
General
General
MonkeyShaman

Personal Info

Falling debris? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Falling debris?   Falling debris? Icon_minitimeThu 19 Feb 2009 - 15:00

That it is, but as most ruined buildings are a 1-3 storey affair(since we are so lazy) this isnt much of an issue, I think the whole deal gets a lot more complex with larger buildings as there is a lower probability of proper LOS and the fact that things will hit harder from a larger distance to adress, things I dont feel so readily versed in to adress.

This is more 'Rules concerning massive/super heavy object intended to crush enemies on impact'.
This is a simplified version as to not halt the game to much and we made the rules under
the (at times) logical standpoint that if I have a brace of guns and good cover I would rather use them
than lob that flimsy barstool and lose my cover and be discovered by a now rather angry dire wolf/marksman.

I'm sure you can adapt and make rules for throwing of loose individual bricks but this is a more no questions asked approach to crushing enemies, I'd love to see notes on adaptations for shrapnel spread caused by dropping things from high placed (or trebuchets for that matter Very Happy) (A new use for nurglings perhaps?)
As Im also a big fan of encampment sieges bounce
(might even find a use for them barnyard cows and those plastic giants...)
Back to top Go down
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info

Falling debris? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Falling debris?   Falling debris? Icon_minitimeThu 19 Feb 2009 - 18:32

MonkeyShaman wrote:
I'd love to see notes on adaptations for shrapnel spread caused by dropping things from high placed (or trebuchets for that matter Very Happy)

Try checking WHFB, stone throwers use round templates with a hole in the middle, anyone under the template takes a hit, anyone under the hole takes a really powerful hit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Falling debris? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Falling debris?   Falling debris? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Falling debris?
Page 1 of 1