HomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsBlogLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Share | 

Falling

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mike
Elder
Elder

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Falling   Sun 17 Jul 2011 - 0:27

There has been some great discussion lately about house rules and I wanted to bring this up: falling.

Not the mechanics for falling actually but the lead in to falling. Warriors knocked down or stunned within 1" of an edge must pass leadership initiative or fall. This seems a sound mechanic except that it seems to me to be an almost certain fall. Even our skaven seems to never pass an initiative test and those of us with 2 or 3 initiative its a given we are going to fail.

One idea was a d6 roll for the direction of the fall, forward or back, towards the edge or away. And for terrain with railings we dont test at all.

I want the risk of taking a tumble but do you think it has to be so definite? Does this make elevated positions too much of a risk? What are your thoughts?

EDIT: corrected test, more proof reading!

Last edited by Mike on Sun 17 Jul 2011 - 11:40; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Falling   Sun 17 Jul 2011 - 6:46

For our group, if there was a definite railing (like a rampart), you rerolled the first failure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
Soulblight
General
General

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Falling   Sun 17 Jul 2011 - 6:52

Not an advanced Mordheim player, but i really like the idea with testing where to fall..

With that said, its seems to me quite certain that a model thats receive a frontal hit tends to fall backwards (by the force coming from the front that is..)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Falling   Sun 17 Jul 2011 - 7:34

Mike wrote:

Warriors knocked down or stunned within 1" of an edge must pass leadership or fall. This seems a sound mechanic except that it seems to me to be an almost certain fall. Even our skaven seems to never pass an initiative test and those of us with 2 or 3 initiative its a given we are going to fail.

We all got what you meant but for beginning players I have to point out that you must pass an initiative test or fall not leadership.

I am a big fan of the cinematic fall. Everyone who is shot in a 'B' movie pitches forward, staggers forward, crashes through the window or breaks the railing and falls. And we cheer when an elf falls.

We've tried the direction dice method of determining which way the warrior might fall and toyed with the 'he can't fall there's a railing'. Nowadays we only roll a dice for direction if there are multiple possiblities for the direction of a fall, like a warrior in a crow's nest or such. Otherwise if the warrior fails an initiative test he's falling.

Its a great way to clean out those snipers, even elfs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike
Elder
Elder

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Falling   Sun 17 Jul 2011 - 11:43

Direction dice may be fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Saranor
Warlord
Warlord

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Shadow Warriors (Unofficial) Shadow Warriors (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Falling   Sun 17 Jul 2011 - 13:11

i think the direction is the initiative test you have to pass...

Even if you pass your test, you still fall on the floor because your are knocked down or stunned. If you pass you "choose" to fall on the floor where you stand, if you miss you will fall in the wrong direction and crashed on the floor some feet below...

Sometime i would like something like voluntary fall down. If i have to choose to lay helpless in front of a vampire or posessed a fall will surely look more appealing to me...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Falling   Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 3:05

In my circle we use the railing-grants-a-reroll also. Seems to work well, seems balanced, adds a bit of fun and realism.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Falling   Tue 19 Jul 2011 - 10:29

Soulblight wrote:
With that said, its seems to me quite certain that a model thats receive a frontal hit tends to fall backwards (by the force coming from the front that is..)

Not to be picky/nerdy/annoying but the force behind most ranged attacks is not usually enough to cause a person to fall over. A projectile may only have the same force behind it as a punch. But the thing that makes it so much more effective is the fact it is concentrated into a much smaller area than the fist.

The force of the recoil of a weapon (or the energy built up by the flexing of a bow etc) will actually be greater most the time than the force of impact due to air friction, wind, etc. So if the recoil of your weapon (swivel gunners I'm looking at you!) knocks you over then it may knock someone else over. Otherwise most of the knockdown comes from being knocked off balance.

Also interesting fact is that the human body falls forward when unconcious.

Enough of nerdiness. The point of this whole thing is: I like the Init test representing them madly grabbing for the edge so they don't fall over. It is really FUNNY when a goblin falls off a ledge.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Falling   Today at 20:49

Back to top Go down

Falling
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1