Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Combat Questions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
2704ENG
Captain
Captain
2704ENG

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

Combat Questions Empty
PostSubject: Combat Questions   Combat Questions Icon_minitimeMon 13 Jul 2015 - 3:13

Hey guys wondering if you could help with a few combat questions.

Say my two warriors Merc A and Merc B charges Orc X with his buddy Orc Y next to him.

Merc A manages to stun Orc X with his attack. Can Merc B then automatically finish Orc X and take him out of action with his charge?

In the rule book it states that you can’t target knocked down/stunned opponents if there are standing opponents that you’re engaged with. But because both the Mercs charged Orc X then technically Orc Y (despite being right next to Orc X) isn’t in combat with the Mercs?

Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

Combat Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Combat Questions   Combat Questions Icon_minitimeMon 13 Jul 2015 - 4:31

You would be correct since the mercenaries are not fighting against Orc Y, he can't protect his comrade.
Back to top Go down
2704ENG
Captain
Captain
2704ENG

Personal Info

Combat Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Combat Questions   Combat Questions Icon_minitimeMon 13 Jul 2015 - 5:39

Von Kurst wrote:
You would be correct since the mercenaries are not fighting against Orc Y, he can't protect his comrade.

Hmmmm thanks for this...

So in general it's a really bad idea to have a staggered formation?

Combat Questions Bfpco4

Orc 1 will get smashed by three Mercs with his buddies unable to to anything... Chances are Orc 1 will get taken out of action.

It's all a bit silly though... I mean would you really stand still while your buddy who is only slightly in front gets taken to pieces by three attackers?

So if that's the case then is it far better to line up your guys with a unified frontage bunched up as closely as possible?

Combat Questions 35041lc

This way Orc 2 and Orc 3 will get a chance to intercept the charges as they'll be within 2" of the interception zone?
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

Combat Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Combat Questions   Combat Questions Icon_minitimeMon 13 Jul 2015 - 14:04

Quote :
It's all a bit silly though... I mean would you really stand still while your buddy who is only slightly in front gets taken to pieces by three attackers?

Games can only do so much to simulate reality. The interception rule is already a bit fiddly (and has grown out of house rules). I expect the folks who expand the interception zone to cover models 2" behind the target of a charge to show up any minute...

In the mean time, let me commend you on you clear graphics that illustrate the rule as written.

I am never too worried about that poor soul out there on his own. I usually use him to draw chargers so that I can counter charge. (Though I would use a goblin, hound or some other pawn.) Your example of using a line formation just reinforces that sometimes game designers can simulate real life. (The line being a popular formation for receiving melee attacks since the cave man thought of it.)

Back to top Go down
Aipha
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Aipha

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

Combat Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Combat Questions   Combat Questions Icon_minitimeMon 13 Jul 2015 - 15:08

Agree with Von Kurst here; if you want a guy up there in the front, he better be able to take some hits or be an expandable ally. This is if you wish to draw your enemy's attention.

The line is best for longer fights due to intercepts and being able to protect your comrade from getting auto-OOA from a KD/Stun -> attack. Also, should you not be charged, you have a higher chance of being able to charge with everyone, if they're in a line, compared to in front/behind each other.
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info

Combat Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Combat Questions   Combat Questions Icon_minitimeTue 14 Jul 2015 - 5:28

Von Kurst wrote:
...I expect the folks who expand the interception zone to cover models 2" behind the target of a charge to show up any minute...
I am summoned and so I am here Razz.

Another reason we use the 'can intercept from *all* of 2" is that it meant less painstaking arrangement of front-line models (not none, you understand, just less) and more actual playing of the game. YMMV, of course.

For your diagram, in practice what would happen is that M3 would charge O2, M1 would charge O2 and then M2 would charge O2. O1 would intercept at some point so there would be 2 Ms on one O and 1 M on another O and the final O would be unengaged. Usually. Exact terrain and small differences in placement could alter that, but nine times out of ten that would be the end result, the strategy being what order you charge in and who intercepts who at what point.
Back to top Go down
2704ENG
Captain
Captain
2704ENG

Personal Info

Combat Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Combat Questions   Combat Questions Icon_minitimeTue 14 Jul 2015 - 8:46

Von Kurst wrote:

In the mean time, let me commend you on you clear graphics that illustrate the rule as written.  

Thanks mate - it's going to be my first time playing Mordheim so just trying to get my head around the rules. I just have a hard time understanding unless I visualise everything lol.

Lord 0 wrote:

Another reason we use the 'can intercept from *all* of 2" is that it meant less painstaking arrangement of front-line models (not none, you understand, just less) and more actual playing of the game. YMMV, of course.

Yep agree that this is a very good rule - so am I correct to assume that the it is the interceptor that decides how far the charger has travelled before stopping him/her in their tracks?

Also Lord 0 I see that you run an Orc and Goblins warband! I'm actually in the process of assembling and painting a Orc and Goblins warband myself so will probably shoot over a bunch of questions sometime down the track in regards to starting warband composition and how they play.

Aipha wrote:

The line is best for longer fights due to intercepts and being able to protect your comrade from getting auto-OOA from a KD/Stun -> attack.

It seems that to actually OOA a model is quite difficult from a standing attack. Assuming that you're hitting and wounding on 4s you only have a 25% chance of making your opponent roll on the injury table.

On the other hand auto OOA from a KD/Stun seems very deadly indeed! I guess more the reason to make sure you guys are well supported.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Combat Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Combat Questions   Combat Questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Combat Questions
Page 1 of 1