Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Stacking of Modifiers

Go down 
+4
RationalLemming
Friedrich Hetzenauer
NoisyAssassin
Furry
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Furry
Youngblood
Youngblood
Furry

Trading Reputation : 0

Stacking of Modifiers Empty
PostSubject: Stacking of Modifiers   Stacking of Modifiers Icon_minitimeTue 19 May 2015 - 15:27

I'd like to start this question with an apology.  I'm sure this has been asked and answered but I don't know what phrase will search for what I need...

That being said, here goes:

Scenario 1
Assume BS of 3 (4+ to hit)
Long Distance -1 (5+ to hit)
Moved -1 (6+ to hit)
Target wearing Elven Cloak -1 (7+ to hit, can't be done in d6, Can the shot be taken?)

Scenario 2
Assume BS of 3 (4+ to hit)
Long Distance -1 (5+ to hit)
Moved -1 (6+ to hit)
Cover -1 (7+ to hit, can't be done in d6)
Target wearing Elven Cloak -1 (8+ to hit, can't be done in d6, Can the shot be taken?)

Does a d6 of 6 always succeed?  I know certain strengths can't hurt certain toughness, but can certain shots not even have a chance of hitting.

Where can I find this in the rules or FAQ's?
Back to top Go down
NoisyAssassin
Warlord
Warlord
NoisyAssassin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: Bronze Tom Bronze Tom

PostSubject: Re: Stacking of Modifiers   Stacking of Modifiers Icon_minitimeTue 19 May 2015 - 20:44

Mordheim, as an older GW game, doesn't really address what happens when you need a 7+ to hit. So, rules at face value, it is impossible to score a hit. Easy house rule would be to bring it in line with later versions of GW games, either allowing a nat 6 to always hit, or instituting a chart like the current version of Warhammer, in which:
7+ requires a 6+ followed by a 4+ on a second die
8+ requires a 6+ followed by a 5+ on a second die
etc...
Back to top Go down
Friedrich Hetzenauer
General
General
Friedrich Hetzenauer

PostSubject: Re: Stacking of Modifiers   Stacking of Modifiers Icon_minitimeWed 20 May 2015 - 5:21

NoisyAssassin wrote:
Mordheim, as an older GW game, doesn't really address what happens when you need a 7+ to hit. So, rules at face value, it is impossible to score a hit. Easy house rule would be to bring it in line with later versions of GW games, either allowing a nat 6 to always hit, or instituting a chart like the current version of Warhammer, in which:
7+ requires a 6+ followed by a 4+ on a second die
8+ requires a 6+ followed by a 5+ on a second die
etc...

It's interesting that you call that later versions of GW games. Because that exact rule can be found in the 5e book (and I think 4th as well, but I'm fuzzy on that one.)
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Stacking of Modifiers   Stacking of Modifiers Icon_minitimeWed 20 May 2015 - 7:56

Mordheim doesn't include rules for 7+ to hit/succeed so it is a miss/fail.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Friedrich Hetzenauer
General
General
Friedrich Hetzenauer

PostSubject: Re: Stacking of Modifiers   Stacking of Modifiers Icon_minitimeWed 20 May 2015 - 15:46

RationalLemming wrote:
Mordheim doesn't include rules for 7+ to hit/succeed so it is a miss/fail.

Technically true, but given the massive number of other house/unofficial rules we all include using a to hit chart that was used in other GW games both before and after Mordheim is a pretty small one in comparison. There are tons of unofficial warbands in constant use, most of us use modified armor and dual weild rules, etc.

So if you want to house rule this one go for it. It hardly ever actually effects the outcome of a game, but once in awhile it lets a miracle shot be made that gets talked about the rest of the campaign.

My group did one campain with the rule that if you managed hit, wound, and take out of action on a to hit that required two 6s you got the trick shot skill or the lads got talent for free. It never happened.
Back to top Go down
Furry
Youngblood
Youngblood
Furry

PostSubject: Re: Stacking of Modifiers   Stacking of Modifiers Icon_minitimeWed 20 May 2015 - 21:32

Thanks All
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Stacking of Modifiers   Stacking of Modifiers Icon_minitimeWed 20 May 2015 - 23:02

I have no problem with house rule for this. However, does it add extra dice rolls and slow down the battle for very little benefit? It might allow some miracle shots which create a talking point but that should be balanced against extra dice rolls.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Friedrich Hetzenauer
General
General
Friedrich Hetzenauer

PostSubject: Re: Stacking of Modifiers   Stacking of Modifiers Icon_minitimeWed 20 May 2015 - 23:53

If dice rolls are taking up that much time you either manage to do movement at light speed or need a faster way to roll dice.
Back to top Go down
Phantasmal_fiend
General
General
Phantasmal_fiend

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: Stacking of Modifiers   Stacking of Modifiers Icon_minitimeThu 21 May 2015 - 4:41

I personally think it slows down gameplay too, in a gaming group of experienced gamers maybe not so much, but in our group we have some players that are very indecisive and some young players, what works for one group may not work for another.
Back to top Go down
Aipha
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Aipha

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Stacking of Modifiers   Stacking of Modifiers Icon_minitimeSat 23 May 2015 - 1:56

We have implemented the 6 followed by 4, 5, 6 mostly because we thought it was already there, when we started playing. It's given the Undeads a little extra, as their Dregs might actually hit something once every other year.
Back to top Go down
Thespian
Champion
Champion
Thespian

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Stacking of Modifiers   Stacking of Modifiers Icon_minitimeSun 24 May 2015 - 12:19

We let a natural 6 always hit. I find shooting already to be weak for most warriors so penalizing it any further just makes it a waste to buy missile weapons in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Stacking of Modifiers   Stacking of Modifiers Icon_minitimeSun 24 May 2015 - 13:39

We started with the 7+ almost immediately since we were all Warhammer players and thought the rule was already part of the game.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stacking of Modifiers   Stacking of Modifiers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stacking of Modifiers
Page 1 of 1