Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Random Charges

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Callofthesiren
Hero
Hero
Callofthesiren

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

Random Charges Empty
PostSubject: Random Charges   Random Charges Icon_minitimeSat 14 Feb 2015 - 4:29

Our gaming group has moved to random charge range. Each warrior (non-animal) rolls 2D6 picking the highest, adding their movement value to the highest dice.

If the warrior has sprint they combine the 2D6 roll and add it it to their movement value.

Animals, will roll 3D6 for their charge range picking the highest and adding that dice to their movement value, due to their greater mobility with 4 legs.

With this random charge range we've also added that any player can pre-mesure at any time. I've found it adds an exciting, less predicable element to the game and the group I'm in agrees.

Any thoughts or similar ideas anyone else has used in their games?
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

Random Charges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Charges   Random Charges Icon_minitimeSat 14 Feb 2015 - 14:40

Since Warhammer 8th edition came out there have been a few threads on the subject. Since most of my group stopped playing Warhammer due to 8th, we are less receptive to any updates inspired by it...

It is harder transitioning Warhammer players into the Mordheim rules as the game systems grow farther apart. The pre-measuring heresy is particularly hard to cure.
Back to top Go down
NoisyAssassin
Warlord
Warlord
NoisyAssassin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: Bronze Tom Bronze Tom

Random Charges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Charges   Random Charges Icon_minitimeSat 14 Feb 2015 - 17:43

What you've done is almost identical to an idea I proposed to my group a while back about adding random charges into Mordheim. One thing that I like about this particular approach is that it makes Sprint less broken on high M models (this approach still adds an avg of 3.5 to charge distance [well, since it is the lower of two dice, might actually be less, not sure what probability technically says about that], which is comparable to what a M4 model gets out of it, but it stops the silly skaven 18" charge [spoken as someone who sometimes plays skaven]). In fact, in general this approach helps smooth out how stupidly important M is in Mordheim. Let's say that since you're taking the better of 2d6 you're averaging about 4" on the dice. The charge range of a M4 human is unchanged, but a M3 dwarf adds an average of an inch to his charge range, while a skaven loses an inch or two. All with the possibility of getting a lucky surge of speed or tripping over your own feet, which makes combat less about eyeballing 8", getting the charge and striking first all based on that.

And anything that allows for premeasuring is great! Switching between Warhammer where premeasuring is allowed and Mordheim where it isn't can be very strange sometimes!

Unfortunately for me, my group doesn't want to shake things up with any big house rules because we have so many new people cycling in an out Sad
Back to top Go down
Captain Bernhardt
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Captain Bernhardt

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

Random Charges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Charges   Random Charges Icon_minitimeSat 14 Feb 2015 - 23:25

We introduced random charges as well.
We use just M+D6 to keep it quick and simple
I think this adds axcitement to the game and adds more risk to your manouvres.
It also balances out the models with high movement who otherwise get a superlong charge range
Back to top Go down
Lindmarrrrrr

Lindmarrrrrr

Random Charges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Charges   Random Charges Icon_minitimeTue 17 Feb 2015 - 19:53

So what about running? Do you still double movement speed?
Back to top Go down
Callofthesiren
Hero
Hero
Callofthesiren

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

Random Charges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Charges   Random Charges Icon_minitimeTue 17 Feb 2015 - 20:12

Yes, we still double a models M for running. The basic explanation we've come up with is if a model that spends its whole turn moving, is able to focus on the task of moving. Sprint allows for triple M if the hero runs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Random Charges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Charges   Random Charges Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Random Charges
Page 1 of 1