Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making!

Go down 
+6
mweaver
Azmodan
Captain Bernhardt
Spectre76
WarbossKurgan
Grimscull
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making! Empty
PostSubject: You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making!   You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making! Icon_minitimeWed 26 Mar 2014 - 16:57

Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making!   You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making! Icon_minitimeWed 26 Mar 2014 - 17:35

There is already a thread about this (but is isn't named in a very helpful way!)

https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t7700-mordheim-city-of-the-damned
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
Spectre76
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Spectre76

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making!   You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making! Icon_minitimeFri 28 Mar 2014 - 0:17

Came out of hiding just in time to find this! Looks very promising.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thetonezone.net
Captain Bernhardt
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Captain Bernhardt

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making!   You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making! Icon_minitimeMon 1 Sep 2014 - 15:09

Is there any news on this?
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making!   You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making! Icon_minitimeMon 1 Sep 2014 - 15:13

Two weeks ago I put something new in the other thread that is linked here in post two.
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making!   You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making! Icon_minitimeTue 2 Sep 2014 - 13:26

Since you asked:
Quote :
Even for those of us who are familiar with tabletop Warhammer it’s very possible that you haven’t even heard of Mordheim. Especially as official support for the game has long since stopped. The basic idea is a much smaller focus than standard Warhammer games focusing instead on smaller ‘Warbands’ instead of armies. Sounds like a great premise for a tactical RPG to me. And the guys at Rogue Factor took the time to show off some of their new game at Gamescom. And I’m so glad they did.

Despite the fact the build I saw was pre-alpha the game is already looking extremely promising. At it’s core City of the Damned is a tactical turn based combat game. You control a ‘Warband’ made up of various (clears throat) ‘heroes’ and mercenaries from Warhammer. With the lore and massive amount of characters available from the Warhammer universe there’s already clearly more than enough content for you to create a properly unique squad.

One of the best things that became apparent is that your Warband is actually going to feel like your Warband. There are loads of customization options, loads of equipment slots to fill with loot and RPG style level ups as well. Even with the handful of units I got to see there was a definite sense that each was an actual character and not just a ‘soldier’ or ‘medic’ or whatever. Each character has two weapon load outs and plenty more besides. You can even have heavy armour on one shoulder and light on the other which not only looks cool but also has actual tactical benefits.

For example one soldier repeatedly tried to climb a high wall but his heavy armour meant he kept failing the dice roll and falling rather sadly back to the ground. Meanwhile his opponent got into a good position for the inevitable fight. But had he been lucky he would’ve had the high ground. The glory of dice rolls!

mordheim-05

Movement and positioning play a huge part in any turn based tactical game. Movement is handled in a very similar way to Valkyria Chronicles, which is undoubtedly one of the greatest turn based tactical games ever and one of my all time favourite games. And after me and the nice man from Rogue Factor had spent far too long talking about Valkyria and recommending it to a fellow journalist we managed to get back to City of the Damned. Like Valkyria Chronicles, City of the Damned avoids conventional tile based systems and uses orbs that represent energy. In City of the Damned you get 4 movement orbs, or at least this character did, which are each represented by a blue ring on the ground showing you how far you can move. The one thing me and strategy gamers around the world will love is that you can move back across a blue ring and not expend energy. No more knocking the controls and screwing up the entire game for a single mistake!

Combat is similar to the movement. Your character has a number of orbs they can use to attack. Any that are left over can be used for counter attacks. When you attack you can choose an ability and then ‘roll the dice’ and see what happens. It’s difficult to go into more detail because I only saw a handful of abilities but what I saw looked very good. An archer had a ‘knee shot’ (if you laughed you’re as sad as me) for example that aimed to cripple his target. The mage had several abilities one of which was very similar to rockets in Xcom: Enemy Unknown, friendly fire and all. Plus all spells have the chance of completely backfiring and even spawning hordes of chaos. There’s a huge risk reward to the mages which I can’t wait to either win the game for me or ignite my entire squad and call in hordes of chaos to eat their crispy faces.

mordheim-01

After you defeat an enemy they are unable to move or act for the rest of the battle and you can, if you feel the need, even steal their weapons. And when I say steal I mean it. As in they lose it and you gain it. To keep. Forever. It’s sadistic and hardcore and it’s awesome. You going to risk running in with rare loot equipped now? That’s going to be a dilemma!

So after your squad gets beaten and your lying in ruins as your enemy sprints of with bags of your hard earned swag over their shoulder you get to find out what damage your crew took. They might be fine. They might be out of action for a number of games. They might die, and of course in this game that means they’re actually gone. Or, and if there is a single feature that will set this game apart this is it, they might take some damage to a limb. Their hand could be crippled and effect their accuracy. They might lose an arm and only be able to wield single handed weapons. Or they might lose a leg and you can choose to have a peg leg and keep your character with some penalties.

So when you go online and an enemy has a peg leg you know this guy has seen action and is probably powerful enough that his owner decided to keep him despite the damage. I don’t know why this hasn’t been done before but it’s ridiculously cool. When you see a damaged character it’s not just an aesthetic choice something happened to him and he’s got the scars to prove it. Chaos can supposedly even mutate extra limbs and the arm of the guy we saw had become an axe which meant he had an awesome axe but no hand so couldn’t change weapons.

mordheim-04

There’s so much more to say about this game and I cannot wait to get on and play it. It’s already got procedural maps, which is impressive considering how dense and detailed the environments are. The permadeath, enemy looting and particularly the persistent damage is just plain cool. There’s PvP and PvE modes and plans to add entire factions as DLC in the future. The gameplay is basically Xcom: Enemy Unknown crossed with Valkyria Chronicles set in a Warhammer universe. They just happen to be two of my favourite games of all time which is useful.

City of the Damned is looking seriously good and I’ve only seen a small part of it. Easily one of the best games I saw at Gamescom this year and personally I just can’t wait to get on it. Mordheim: City of The Damned It’s due for early access late this year or early 2015 on Steam and there’s possibility of a PS4 version in the future although nothing is confirmed. This is the one to watch for any turn based tactical fan.
http://connecteddigitalworld.com/2014/08/27/first-look-mordheim-city-damned/
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making!   You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making! Icon_minitimeTue 23 Sep 2014 - 18:31

An interview with one of the gamedesigners:
http://redthirst.co.uk/mordheim-p-c-game-qa/

The games movement and combat are dictated by a units movement and attack points respectively play style of turns. can you explain the turn based game system you will be using a little more ?

The pacing of our video game is slightly different to the pacing of the table top. With Player versus Player, we need something more engaging than playing 10 units for 20 minutes and then wait 20 minutes for your next turn! We parted ways with the alternate Player turns for an Initiative ladder. The initiative of each unit is based on their unit type (Leader, Henchman, Heroes and Impressive unit) along with their equipment and their skills. From there you play your units as based on the initiative ladder’s order. It ensures a more dynamic game-play that suits perfectly with the fog of war and line of sight game mechanics.

Will war-bands have experience points ? if so how will this add to to game ?

There are multiple level of experience gain
Your units are levelling up, your warband is levelling up as well (used to allow the player to recruit certain type of units..) and finally, you as a player will benefits an experience points system

mordheim-05-hd

What Races will feature in Mordheim the digial game? Once it is released?

On release, we will have the four following warbands: Skavens of clan Eshin, Human Mercenaries, Sisters of Sigmar and Cult of the Possessed. Some monsters will also roam the gloomy streets of Mordheim… but we can’t give away more details on that matter though, so stay tuned.

mordheim-02-mini
What was your favourite part of working on this game?

Being a devoted player of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay for the last decade (if not more), I feel right at home on this project. The best part is to incorporate new material to Mordheim, which is not necessarily new to the Warhammer universe, but adds some very cool twists. Bringing such a great game to the digital format is a challenge rewarding in itself!

Were there any unexpected difficulty’s or challenges in the development of Mordheim?

Indeed. I think difficulties and challenges follow the sun and rise in front of us every day, haha! But there’s nothing we can’t tackle. This is a grim and perilous world after all, so it wouldn’t be Mordheim without some challenges on our way, right? I think we can blame Tzeentch for the small bumps in the road Wink

Were there any large changes you had to make to the rules of the board game?

As mentioned in the introduction, there’s the player turn by turn rules we modified. Among other rules we changed, units will have new statistics (Alertness for example). We are also bringing enchantment to equipment. All War bands will have 7 units to select from and are capped at 10 units, 1 Leader, 3 Heroes, 1 Impressive unit (like the Rat Ogre) and 5 Henchmen. There’re more changes, most of them are related to mechanic tweaking and pacing.

What’s it like working with Games-workshop ? They seem to have a lot of trust in the focus studio.

Rogue Factor’s relationship with Games-workshop is amazing! A lot of back and forth and sharing of ideas are done. We also have a lot of freedom to create new stuff and modify the rules, while on the other hand we definitely stay within the lore of Warhammer (don’t worry though, we are among Warhammer’s biggest fans and we remain very faithful to it!).

mordheim-03-mini

How much input are getting from Games work shop them regarding Mordheim rules and story lines ?

Since we are developing an adaptation that is not a direct digital port per se, we have plenty of leeway and inputs from GW. As for the story line, Mordheim being a special place required a special story that we developed with GW and one of their official Black Library writer.

What was it like working with a iconic part of the grim Warhammer World ?

Personally speaking, it’s like going home (although none of my characters went to Mordheim in any WRFP games I played). On our team we have fans of every GW products available, from Warhammer fantasy to Warhammer 40k to the Lord of the Ring setting they released as well, so we are all pretty happy working on this project.

Mordheim in Warhammer is a massive derelict city of the damned made of many streets and buildings in which death lurks behind every corner, and in every alley, how important was it in capturing this atmosphere?

This was one of our main challenge, and we are still working hard to make this even more accurate every day. We’ll keep working on this until the game is released to bring the best vision of Mordheim we can. Be careful of the mad stuff you’ll find in the maps, it could be dangerous for your health!

Mordheim the board game still has a good number of fans,but what kind digitail Gamer do you think will get the most out of Mordheim , Warhammer fans, fans of the board game, or fans of turn based games?

I think there is something for everyone to enjoy to be honest. Mordheim is a great representation of the world of Warhammer, it is still true to the table top in its core and it is a fun turn based game with challenges of its own.

Do you feel Mordheim the digial game will live up to the great game play of the Mordheim board game and gain new fans from the digital game ?

I am very confident we will gain new fans, especially those from the Turn-Base strategy game crowd that never played a Warhammer game in any shape or form. I sure hope our adaptation will live up to what the fans would expect from a Mordheim digital adaptation, even if it’s not a direct representation of all the rules.

Do you have plans to adapt the other original expansions set for Mordheim like Empire in Flames ?

Right now we are focusing our time and work on the original Mordheim, but it also includes some aspects of Empire in Flames if I can say so. For now I won’t point out what exactly, but we had enough freedom to get elements from Empire in Flames.

mordheim-04-mini

What races do you plan to include in later DLC and expansions for Mordheim ?

Unfortunately I can’t comment on that matter at this stage, but we will listen very carefully to the community on this topic. However, I can assure you that we do have plans for the future and they will be influenced by the success of our early access 

How much room do you think you have to expand the game outside of the original board game and expansions (if you were inclined to do so)?

It’s hard to say exactly without getting in details or revealing anything, but we do expand outside of what was released for the table top game.

And finally will there be a guild style multi-player part to Mordheim the digital game may be a town crier steam group for setting up campaigns ??

That is an excellent question! We will make sure to look into this and see what we can do! We really want to deliver the players an awesome and well-rounded multi-player experience, so a lot of work will be done on that matter.

p.s any chance of a necrumunda version too ?

Who knows what the future holds for us… It’s another project we would enjoy working on, that’s for sure!

cheers dan

Thanks for your interest in Mordheim: City of the Damned!

Bruno Parenteau and the Rogue Factor team

maybe it’s that energy drink… back to work I go!
Back to top Go down
Azmodan
Champion
Champion
Azmodan

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making!   You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making! Icon_minitimeSat 11 Oct 2014 - 15:59

great news!

Next week they will start the closed beta phase of the game. For you this is nice as it means that there might be more information on game mechanics and stuff, as there will be actual players testing it - and for me this is great as I take part in the beta. Whoooo! Very Happy

I'll have to sign a NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement) but maybe I'll be allowed to comment on rumors or something. Otherwise I'll just brag and anoy you from time to time Wink
Back to top Go down
http://mymortheim.blogspot.com/
Captain Bernhardt
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Captain Bernhardt

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making!   You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making! Icon_minitimeSat 11 Oct 2014 - 21:43

lucky bastard! I'm so looking forward to this game!
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making!   You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making! Icon_minitimeSat 11 Oct 2014 - 22:36

How did you get to become a playtester? Could one apply for it? I SO hope this is going to be a nice game...
Back to top Go down
Azmodan
Champion
Champion
Azmodan

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making!   You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making! Icon_minitimeSun 12 Oct 2014 - 12:58

Grimscull wrote:
How did you get to become a playtester? Could one apply for it? I SO hope this is going to be a nice game...

Some weeks ago I saw a short interview with Yves Bordeleau at E3, where he said that they are open to input from players. So I decided to write an email to the developer team to offer my.. help/advise/whatever. They answered that they were happy to read my message and put me to the playtester pool.

As the mail concerning the beta phase doesn't look too personalized I guess you might have a chance to enter as well. You can write to the PR of rogue factor and try.
I hope there won't be waves of mails spamming them now. But as I guess people reading this forum are basically the best candidates for mordheim playtesting they might appreciate your offer(s). Anyway I guess they'll be happy to hear how interested you are in the game. To further show your support you could as well follow their facebook page and join the official forum
Back to top Go down
http://mymortheim.blogspot.com/
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making!   You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making! Icon_minitimeSun 9 Nov 2014 - 15:33

There is a new trailer. Graphics might not be up to date, but it definitely has the grime:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl8ARu8RWLs
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making!   You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making! Icon_minitimeWed 19 Nov 2014 - 9:46

And a trailer with actual gameplay. Probably the most interesting and telling so far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o1H-qXAnO8
Now I'm REALLY looking forward to this game. Sad they didn't inklude the postbattle-sequence in the video.
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making!   You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making! Icon_minitimeWed 19 Nov 2014 - 23:07

Looking promising!
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making!   You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making! Icon_minitimeThu 20 Nov 2014 - 0:13

Looks cool. I'm not sure I like the member caps being the same in each warband but we shall see how it plays out.
Back to top Go down
Mike
Elder
Elder
Mike

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making!   You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making! Icon_minitimeThu 20 Nov 2014 - 22:18

Mordheim: City of the Damned is available today on Steam as early access. Priced with a 20% discount at US$31.99. I am eager to try it but afraid I will wait for it to flesh out more or for a later sale.

If anyone picks it up I would be interested in your views on it.
Back to top Go down
qboid
Elder
Elder
qboid

PostSubject: Re: You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making!   You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making! Icon_minitimeFri 21 Nov 2014 - 19:09

Having watched the new 10 minute gameplay video, the one thing i can say for certain is, it is not Mordheim. The core mechanics of the game have nothing to do with the GW statline, warband rosters are not going to look anything like the tabletop game, and the mechanics of the whole thing do not reflect a tabletop game of Mordheim at all.
Seriously dissapointed.
Back to top Go down
Alex
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Alex

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making!   You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making! Icon_minitimeFri 21 Nov 2014 - 23:40

Eh I actually think the game might be better by skipping GW's clunky game mechanics and just keeping the look and flavour of Mordheim. The gw app games that keep the dice rolling are horrible, especially compared to DoW.
Back to top Go down
http://echoesofimperium.blog
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making!   You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making! Icon_minitimeSat 22 Nov 2014 - 0:26

Unless they just made a virtual tabletop and let the 'puter roll for your guys, it was pretty much going to have to be different. From their first news releases I thought it looked fairly clear that it was a video game set in Mordheim, rather than an attempt to make a 'puter version of the game straight up. So I not disappointed from that point of view. Now, if it just plays well!
Back to top Go down
Captain Bernhardt
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Captain Bernhardt

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making!   You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making! Icon_minitimeThu 27 Nov 2014 - 11:35

Alex wrote:
Eh I actually think the game might be better by skipping GW's clunky game mechanics and just keeping the look and flavour of Mordheim. The gw app games that keep the dice rolling are horrible, especially compared to DoW.

+100000000000000000

this looks better than the tabletop
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making!   You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making! Icon_minitimeThu 27 Nov 2014 - 12:35

Having bought the early access, I gotta say it feels very true to the tabletop game. The base mechanics are there (all alone tests, route tests, initiative tests for climbing, jumping etc, charges). Skills have been altered, and some other concepts (warband size is the same all over the board). Remember though, it is in APLHA now, not even Beta stage, and it looks really good and feels great to play (albeit with many bugs).

Back to top Go down
Captain Bernhardt
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Captain Bernhardt

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making!   You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making! Icon_minitimeThu 27 Nov 2014 - 13:46

so you actually pay €30 to play a game full of bugs and help them to develop their game .... weird
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making!   You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making! Icon_minitimeThu 27 Nov 2014 - 13:53

Uhm... yeah. What's with the sarcastic tone? Of course I want to help the devs. Besides, it is very much playable, and the potential for this game is huge. If I can be a part of the process, I am glad to pay such a small price (seriously, 30€ is nothing next to what myself and many otehrs spend on minis).

Also, it's Mordheim!
Back to top Go down
Alex
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Alex

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making!   You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making! Icon_minitimeThu 27 Nov 2014 - 15:40

Does the 30$ go towards the finished version as well? Otherwise it sounds like you are paying to do the developers job...
Back to top Go down
http://echoesofimperium.blog
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making!   You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making! Icon_minitimeThu 27 Nov 2014 - 18:44

Early access is cheaper than buying it later and we do not have to buy the game again at launch, if that is what you meant?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making!   You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

You wount believe this - A Mordheim PC-Game in the making!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next