Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom)

Go down 
+15
witch hunter commander
Da Bank
Lanyssa Ryssyll
thatirwinfella
DeafNala
Pathfinder Dubstyles
lord siwoc
Hellfoot
Ashton
Tortiou
matt
Admin Tom
Erkwin
Tagnator
cianty
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom)   chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Apr 2008 - 12:37

cianty wrote:
Well, marauders don't use ranged weapons in Warhammer, which is mostly a balance reason. Chaos Warriors and Marauders were always among the best close combat fighters and giving them access to bows was probably deemed unbalanced or simply unstylish. If you have a look at their background, however, tribes such as the Kurgans make bows out of bones and use them for hunting. If you are interested you may like to have a look at the excellent "Tribes of Chaos" article in the Letters of the Damned issue 2, which was written by a very competent sage and Norse fanatic. That extract of the Border Town Burning supplement's background section describes the major tribes of Chaos marauders and is based purely on official Games Workshop publications (fiction books, WHRPG background, etc.).

Ah, but once upon a time Marauders DID carry missle weapons: bow & even a pistol or two. I sltill have a few of the bow/pistol armed neo-punk Marauders. I also have some of the old Thug minis; it used to be thugs, marauders, & on the top of the wyrd stone infused heap, warriors. I really wasn't being serious: most of my comments probably should carry a "cum grano salo'' caveat.
While I really like quite a few of the Citadel minis, I do tend to have a rather dim view of GW's business ethics & how this paucity of scruples impacts their games, but then that might be just me, & we ancient ones have a tendency to grumble.
The BTB sounds cool, but my poor old P.C. is incapabe [uncooperative like my possessed camera] of doing downloads, so......................
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom)   chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Apr 2008 - 12:57

Yeah, I have seen the old Chaos minis. Some of them look mighty strange. Some people don't even like current Chaos marauders for their "conan" look. I can totally understand how people - especially those who've been around long enough - be disgusted by GW's policy. Did/do you have any of the old White Dwarfs? I'm talking issues ~90 and lower. Man, that's when GW really provided a melting pot/getogether/contact point for people enjoying tabletop and RPG hobby. Nowadays White Dwarf is nothing but a 100-page ad. So I can see how people can be very frustrated if they were there to witness the downfall...

About BTB: Don't worry. The supplement isn't out yet and when the time is here I will make sure than everyone who wishes to have a copy will get one (you can open PDF files after all, don't you? Smile ). By the way, as a bonus for the veterans the supplement includes rules for Chaos centaurs and Temple Dogs so if you know these you might be happy to be able to put the old minis to use again.
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom)   chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Apr 2008 - 13:29

I used to have a LOT of the older WDs; an erstwhile old friend collected them,so I gave them to him in a moment of weakness [read stupidity]. With a few gaps here and there I had #2 through #100 with a scattering of later issues until I got a subscription in mid 2001.
I'm more of a modeler/painter/TERRAIN-MAKER these days, but I believe toy soldier have the right to be played with. Ergo, I do my minis et al to be game pieces. OPINION: collectors are sick puppies & opinionated snobs. I'm interested in anything that gives me ideas for usable minis, paticularly for games like Mordheim, Necromunda, Gorka Morka [love Orks with Machine Guns], Blood Bowl, that sort of game. BTB would be ever so inspiring [my Demonic PC does PDF in conversational Sanskrit].

The Chaos Centaurs [I have some of the ANCIENT ones] & Temple Dogs [Reaper makes some Fu Dogs/Lions, cool minis] sound great. Oh, & I like the Conan look. Marauders rock, the Warriors that don't look like Space Marines are cool, & the wizards are too twisted/sick not to love.
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom)   chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Apr 2008 - 14:24

Reminds me of the player vs. collector thing in collectable trading card games (ie, Magic). There is no way to "pimp" your miniatures like with Magic decks (other than sending them to Admin Tom to paint them for you). Ha ha, think of "foil miniatures"... sprayed with glitter spray or something. Sorry, I'm afraid this makes sense to magic players only.

I like the Chaos Centaurs and the Citadel Temple Dog models, by the way.

Alright now back on topic: Erm... no news yet.
Back to top Go down
thatirwinfella
Captain
Captain
thatirwinfella

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom)   chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 3 May 2008 - 0:58

in a few of the GW novels the marauders have bows... specifically in the Ambassador novel, which was only recently.

I'm not too concerned about the lack of it in the game, it would be nice to be able to use that extra phase for something [well, yes, I do have marauder horsemen who can take throwing weapons, but a 6-8" range is almost useless IMO].

But back to mordheim, and that chaos champion is ridiculously cool. I'd tried to make a marauder champion a while ago, but it ended up looking more like a skinny orc. That one truly looks the part. I think I'm gonna have to unashamedly rip it off.

Your original marauder poses are excellent, especially with the fella hiding behind the shield. Are those the arrows from the giant set at all? I've thougt of using them for similar but they seem a bit flimsy.

I've done a few GW conversions for my marauders using the flail arms, and replacing the chain with an axehead. Sounds ridiculously simple, but is very effective. You can get some nice raised axe chopping poses doing that.

I've also used the drum stick from the musician to sculpt a flaming torch. It wasn't too hard, I'm hopeless with greenstuff and I managed a seemingly decent flame. I found making the rough teardrop shape then attacking it with side cutters worked well.

Flails can also be made to look cool by having them swinging from all different directions. The left hand holding the dagger is extremely useful for this, it can be used to hold a second flail as well.

anyway, enough about what I've done, your's are looking excellent and I can't wait to see them painted. I thik you've just inspired me to make a marauder warband.

cheers, Adam
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom)   chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 3 May 2008 - 1:41

thatirwinfella wrote:
Your original marauder poses are excellent, especially with the fella hiding behind the shield. Are those the arrows from the giant set at all? I've thougt of using them for similar but they seem a bit flimsy.

Thanks! I'm using the arrows from the Nightgoblins regiment box I bought years ago (to include some archers in my Warhammer Beastmen army - horrible idea, I know... now..).

thatirwinfella wrote:
anyway, enough about what I've done, your's are looking excellent and I can't wait to see them painted.

Me neither, me neither...

thatirwinfella wrote:

I thik you've just inspired me to make a marauder warband.

Oh, I'd love to see you make a marauder warband! The rules allow for so many directions... a fully mounted Hung tribe on horses, a Kurgan warband worshipping Khorne with many many Chaos Hounds, a Slaanesh sado maso tribe or whatever they do these days (sick fellows)...
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom)   chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 17 May 2008 - 11:06

Now that the Monks are nearly done, are you going to get back to the Marauders, eh? I 'd love to see these guys done up with your touch. A shot of inspiration is a great motivator for us old folk. And they'd look excellent plowing through your newly completed woods. geek
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom)   chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 17 May 2008 - 22:25

DeafNala wrote:
Now that the Monks are nearly done, are you going to get back to the Marauders, eh? I 'd love to see these guys done up with your touch. A shot of inspiration is a great motivator for us old folk. And they'd look excellent plowing through your newly completed woods. geek

It will take quite some time before I can provide some shots of them. But I can promise that they are going to look totally awesome; you will love them! Muahaha!!! *makes some secretive gestures*
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom)   chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 17 May 2008 - 23:20

There are somethings that are worth waiting for. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom)   chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 11 Jun 2008 - 13:27

BEWARE

THE WRATH

OF THE DARK GODS!

Spoiler:

More gory evidence of doom are coming soon...

Last edited by cianty on Thu 12 Jun 2008 - 16:03; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tagnator
Etheral
Etheral
Tagnator

Trading Reputation : 6

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders

PostSubject: Re: Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom)   chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 11 Jun 2008 - 13:29

holy goodness, nice models dude! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lanyssa Ryssyll
Ancient
Ancient
Lanyssa Ryssyll

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom)   chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 11 Jun 2008 - 13:54

I love them all Shocked I'm stunned by them silent

AHHHH I'M DOOMED !!!
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Trading Reputation : 12

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom)   chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 11 Jun 2008 - 15:50

Cool Cianty! Really great pic.

How did you do that "Spoiler button"? Very Happy

cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom)   chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 11 Jun 2008 - 16:10

That's actually pretty easy. The "Spoiler" tag can be found between [Strike] and [Host an image].

Simply put anything between the start and end tag of the 'spoiler' and there you go.

See...

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom)   chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 11 Jun 2008 - 16:28

Thanks for the explaination Cianty! (and cool pic... again!)

It's nice to see how the white colour scheme fits the snowy bit of your cathayan table!
Turned out really great!

matt
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
matt

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom)   chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 12 Jun 2008 - 7:24

We Want CLOSE UPS Very Happy
good job on the warband Smile

Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom)   chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 12 Jun 2008 - 13:30

Well, the stupid old man [me if there was any doubt] finally figured out you're suppose to click the spoiler thingy to view the minis.
OH, MY GOD!!!! affraid
In addition to being truly great minis, THAT is the coolest, most evocative photo I may have ever seen of a group of minis. Using the spoiler thingy was a great idea; i.e., they leap out at you; a fantastic way to present the lads, if a bit of a shocker to the old heart.
TAKE A BOW, OH GREAT ONE, but do watch out for the keyboard. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom)   chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 12 Jun 2008 - 15:59

Here it is at last: the centrepiece warband of the Border Town Burning supplement - the Marauders of Chaos warband, painted by our unholy leader and twisted genius Master Tom himself. Enjoy (and succumb)!

The Chieftain
chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Maraud12

Champion and henchman marauder
chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Maraud13

Tchar Champion and Condemned
chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Maraud14

Condemned
chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Maraud18

Shaman of Tchar
chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Maraud15

Marauder Hero (LGT)
chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Maraud16

Henchman Marauder
chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Maraud17

You can also see some of the warband's heroes in "3D" here:

Last edited by cianty on Sun 14 Jul 2013 - 17:38; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom)   chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 12 Jun 2008 - 19:24

Bravo! I don't know how I missed yestardays posts, but I found them today! Great work man. Absolutely fantastic! I love the 3d gallery! Great work.

Such a bad ass warband Wink
Back to top Go down
http://mordheim.ashtonsanders.com
Tortiou
Warlord
Warlord
Tortiou

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom)   chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 12 Jun 2008 - 20:00

Nice models! The WIP miniatures were awesome but the painted & finished ones are way better! Admin Tom did a nice job!
My only critic however would be the choice of the colour for the condemned - the red-headed... red is always a good choice for demons but this red is simply too red! The condemned looks like a match to me and his head contrasts with the rest of the warband.
Anyway, apart from that, as I said, really nice job! I hope you'll play a lot with these guys and offer us some great battle-reports (and cool pics!)

cyclops
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom)   chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 12 Jun 2008 - 20:07

Well, I always wanted the Condemned's head to be red and it actually looks pretty amazing (at least it does to me). The red does stand out in the warband but that is not a bad thing at all. It only makes the warband more diverse. Maybe it's just personal preference but especially in the Condemned only pic I think he looks just perfect.

By the way, iIf you're familiar with the Condemned's background you'll notice how his conspicuity in a (Tzeentch in this case) warband is very fitting and apropriate.

Anyways, it's your right to not like it but I think he's just perfect. tongue
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom)   chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 12 Jun 2008 - 22:45

I'm in the Pro-Redhead cliche also. I do admittedly have a thing about red, but I think it looks perfect for the mini, & the character of the war-band. Excellent job Talented Tom & Cianty. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom)   chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 12 Jun 2008 - 23:12

DeafNala wrote:
Tom & Cianty. thumbsup

LOL This reads like "Tom & Jerry". What a Face
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom)   chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 12 Jun 2008 - 23:16

BOOOMBA!

The 3D Gallery is "kick-arse" Cianty! Very Happy Great job. Also: you took wonderful pics of all those heroes. Can't wait to see the "banner guy" and the "huge-axe-guy" in there too. farao

Erkwin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Erkwin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom)   chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 15 Jun 2008 - 11:42

Absolutly cool stuff!

Wonderful work, and a terific presentation! cheers

thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom)   chaos - Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom) - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Marauders of Chaos warband (painted by Admin Tom)
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next