Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Possessed Cultists WIP (updated)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

possessed - Possessed Cultists WIP (updated) Empty
PostSubject: Possessed Cultists WIP (updated)   possessed - Possessed Cultists WIP (updated) Icon_minitimeThu 18 Apr 2013 - 18:36

So I just got my Chaos Cultists from the Dark Vengeance pack (from an auction site, of course). Ever since I saw them, I wanted to HAVE them! I always thought they would make for great conversions for a Possessed Warband. I have just only begun, and nothing is glued yet, if I decide to make more modifications or re-do something.

FIrst up is a group shot
possessed - Possessed Cultists WIP (updated) Cultis10

Second is a pair of Cultists wearing wrist blades. Ihave removed their breathers, instead going for a Metal Mask look. THey will probably be equipped with two daggers each, and fluff-wise they will be the "assassin squad" or Scouts for the warband.
possessed - Possessed Cultists WIP (updated) Cultis11

Then there are two Cultists with shortbows. I LOVE the old plague-doctor masks! I gave them shortbows from an old LotR boxed set (corsairs I think), which fitted perfectly (with some green stuf...). They will act as scouts and cover friendly warriors with their bows as they move around the roodtops (I gotta get them to a high I, as they have crow-masks, and thus MUST behave like crows as well)
possessed - Possessed Cultists WIP (updated) Cultis12

The Magister is pretty much the original Cultist Squad Leader model, but with a Great Claw from the Chaos Spawn box, as I hope to get a mutation with him sooner or later. I will also keep the squad leader of the second Cultist Pack from Dark Vengeance (I got both!) as a Magister until I actually do get the mutation.
possessed - Possessed Cultists WIP (updated) Magist10

So, any thoughts?

Last edited by Opheliate on Fri 3 May 2013 - 21:20; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Captain Ludwig of Altdorf
Veteran
Veteran

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Possessed Cultists WIP (updated)   possessed - Possessed Cultists WIP (updated) Icon_minitimeThu 18 Apr 2013 - 19:12

Looks very cool! My first thought when seeing the cultist leader was 'that'd make a very cool model for Mordheim'. Good to see someone agrees with me!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Possessed Cultists WIP (updated)   possessed - Possessed Cultists WIP (updated) Icon_minitimeThu 18 Apr 2013 - 19:18

I know, right Smile

Anyhow, I notice the claw is a little too HUGE... maybe I should tone it down a bit? Any ideas for other mutations?
Back to top Go down
Veteran
Veteran

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Possessed Cultists WIP (updated)   possessed - Possessed Cultists WIP (updated) Icon_minitimeThu 18 Apr 2013 - 21:11

I think that if you paint the claw a not-too-bright colour, it won't look oversized. Only if it gets a really bright colour it will be bothersomely large because it draws all the attention.

For further mutations, I'd suggest raiding the bitzbox of someone who owns a Chaos Spawn or a set of 40k possessed, plenty of tentacles and claws there (and maybe even wings if you're lucky) Very Happy
Also, you could see if someone has some beastman legs/hooves left, they make cool legs for a hero with the cloven hoofs upgrade. For more subtle mutations, try the bare-headed chaos warrior heads, the ones with horns sticking out of them.
Back to top Go down
skipspence
Knight
Knight

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Carnival of Chaos (EIF) Carnival of Chaos (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: Possessed Cultists WIP (updated)   possessed - Possessed Cultists WIP (updated) Icon_minitimeThu 18 Apr 2013 - 21:25

Also tyranid arms and legs can work pretty well as well.

I don't think it looks too big, nothing is every do big when its mutated and possessed! Also using something to bulk him out in another direction could help.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Possessed Cultists WIP (updated)   possessed - Possessed Cultists WIP (updated) Icon_minitimeThu 18 Apr 2013 - 21:44

Yeah I agree, the spawn kit is awesome. I have lots of spare bitz since I bought the pack. Now, I have set my sights on those new mutants... what were they called... the afflicted, or some such? Awesome as mutants, and seems to have really many bits to play with Smile

Any suggestions on color-theme, then? I think I will play it safe and go for a crimson red, alternativley a burgundy shade of red. What color should the claw be then? FOr spot-coloring, Id go with grey hair and rims on the coat, which means a shade of grey would go on the claw (or maybe go bleached bone) but then it will, as you noted out, seem larger still. I like to have realistic colors, which means a claw will probably be a bone color rather than a red/green/blue color, even if I have seen many such painted models that look great, I cant quite pull it off.
Back to top Go down
Veteran
Veteran

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Possessed Cultists WIP (updated)   possessed - Possessed Cultists WIP (updated) Icon_minitimeThu 18 Apr 2013 - 22:38

Realistic colours you say? That doesn't mean it has to be bone coloured at all!
Muscle tissue is pink, so paint the claw pink if you want!
If it is infected (not unlikely, considering the rapid growth that had to occur), then it could be green or yellow too.
And last but not least, considering the fluff of Warhammer, the Chaos Gods have a thing for making mutations of the colour often associated with them, so feel free to paint it red, green, blue or purple!

As for the colour scheme, paint something you enjoy painting! Considering they are simple cultists, they would most likely be covered in brown rags, but don't limit yourself to realistic colours; this is the Warhammer World, after all Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Possessed Cultists WIP (updated)   possessed - Possessed Cultists WIP (updated) Icon_minitimeThu 18 Apr 2013 - 23:12

The Lads look like they have a lot of potential. GREAT START! thumbsup

HOWEVER, the gallery is reserved for finished pieces only. SO I'll move your thread to the Painting & Modeling Section where W.I.P. pieces are generally found. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Possessed Cultists WIP (updated)   possessed - Possessed Cultists WIP (updated) Icon_minitimeFri 19 Apr 2013 - 5:44

I agree with a ragged look on the henchmen. I often go that way and was thinking of the palette they use in the original set.

Thanks nala, i appreciate it:)
Back to top Go down
Lion01
Knight
Knight
Lion01

PostSubject: Re: Possessed Cultists WIP (updated)   possessed - Possessed Cultists WIP (updated) Icon_minitimeFri 19 Apr 2013 - 20:18

Holy crap, that looks excellent!
Yes, really excellent!

As I've been playing with the idea of starting a Posessed warband lately, I think I might steal your idea and make a warband just like this! Add some nasty looking Mutants (yes, Chaos Spawn comes to mind!) and all will run before you!

You might want to reposition the mutated claw on your Magister, because to me it looks a little awkward just pointing upwards. Try to put it at an angle so it looks like he's ready to pinch someone (if it doesn't make the model fall over, though).
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Possessed Cultists WIP (updated)   possessed - Possessed Cultists WIP (updated) Icon_minitimeFri 19 Apr 2013 - 20:24

I was thinking the same thing, or at least shorten the arm a bit.
Back to top Go down
Veteran
Veteran

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Possessed Cultists WIP (updated)   possessed - Possessed Cultists WIP (updated) Icon_minitimeFri 19 Apr 2013 - 20:42

Lion01 wrote:
...Try to put it at an angle so it looks like he's ready to pinch someone (if it doesn't make the model fall over, though).

Just glue a coin or some sand underneath the base, this will prevent it from falling over.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Possessed Cultists WIP (updated)   possessed - Possessed Cultists WIP (updated) Icon_minitimeFri 3 May 2013 - 21:19

So , I've repositioned the claw on my mutated magister, and also converted some mutants from the Dark Vengeance cultists that didn't fit into the henchmen groups.

These are my Mutants. One get "spines" which has a greenstuffed spine (its not THAT good, but its the best greenstuffed conversion Ive made...). The other one has an extra arm and a slithering tongue. I cut off the gas-mask muzzle and plan to make it a fleshy mouth that has fused with the helmet. He also has a tentacle.
possessed - Possessed Cultists WIP (updated) Mutant10
possessed - Possessed Cultists WIP (updated) Mutant11
possessed - Possessed Cultists WIP (updated) Mutant12

These are my Darksouls (the chaos marked masks works well with the fluff, and the chaos star great weapons too), along with the henchmen I showed earlier (now with added knives from dark eldar bits)
possessed - Possessed Cultists WIP (updated) Darkso11

These are my magisters again, but now, the claw on one of them is positioned to look more like he is going to lob someones head off!
possessed - Possessed Cultists WIP (updated) Magist10

These are some henchmen. Two of which has flails/clubs and knife, and the other two knife/sword and/or club (which will be painted as bloodies pieces of sharpened warpstone. Will look awesome... in my head at least)
possessed - Possessed Cultists WIP (updated) Henchm10

Comments and constructive critique is welcome!
Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Possessed Cultists WIP (updated)   possessed - Possessed Cultists WIP (updated) Icon_minitimeFri 3 May 2013 - 21:26

UUh, the tail-mutant looks super, well done!

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Possessed Cultists WIP (updated)   possessed - Possessed Cultists WIP (updated) Icon_minitimeFri 3 May 2013 - 21:28

floedebolle wrote:
UUh, the tail-mutant looks super, well done!

Really? Thank you, that makes me so happy. I was so unsure about it... I had to cover up his 40k backpack somehow Smile
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Possessed Cultists WIP (updated)   possessed - Possessed Cultists WIP (updated) Icon_minitimeFri 3 May 2013 - 21:48

COOL LOOKING STUFF! A few of the Lads(?) look like they could double for a 40K Gang...multi-purposing with prices what they are is a FINE idea. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Lion01
Knight
Knight
Lion01

PostSubject: Re: Possessed Cultists WIP (updated)   possessed - Possessed Cultists WIP (updated) Icon_minitimeTue 7 May 2013 - 8:14

Wow excellent progress! The green stuff conversions look really effective. Also your Magister looks a lot more menacing now with the repositioned claw, and the other one looks cool too. I like the Darksouls, isn't it amazing how well some 40K models can fit into the fantasy world? (So it seems at last 40K is good for something Wink )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possessed Cultists WIP (updated)   possessed - Possessed Cultists WIP (updated) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Possessed Cultists WIP (updated)
Page 1 of 1