Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Has anyone tried playing with 2-h striking first on charge?

Go down 
+2
Alex
gorenut
6 posters
AuthorMessage
gorenut
Veteran
Veteran
gorenut

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead
Achievements earned: none

Has anyone tried playing with 2-h striking first on charge? Empty
PostSubject: Has anyone tried playing with 2-h striking first on charge?   Has anyone tried playing with 2-h striking first on charge? Icon_minitimeMon 11 Mar 2013 - 17:30

Just curious on how many of you have tried playing the game with the same rules as Warhammer 6th and 7th edition for great weapons? Essentially if you charge with a 2-handed weapon, you still get to strike first. Does this throw balance off in Mordheim?

As a side note.. I know in 8th ed, they changed the game so it seems like everyone always strikes in Initiative order, even if you charge (unless I'm mistaken). Anyone try playing the game like this as well?
Back to top Go down
Alex
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Alex

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone tried playing with 2-h striking first on charge?   Has anyone tried playing with 2-h striking first on charge? Icon_minitimeMon 11 Mar 2013 - 18:58

First idea is more accurate if comparing to real world, but might be too devastating with the strength bonus on top.

Haven't tester neither so can't really say too much except poor dwarves if initiative is the decider Smile
Back to top Go down
http://echoesofimperium.blog
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone tried playing with 2-h striking first on charge?   Has anyone tried playing with 2-h striking first on charge? Icon_minitimeMon 11 Mar 2013 - 19:47

I wouldn't make Great Weapons stirke first on the charge. It would be a huge advantage for them.
A frenzied model is scary but toss on them a great weapon on the charge and they will cut anything down with ease.

initiative order wouldn't be too bad an idea (charge only) as they could strike first but in most cases it would be a 50/50 chance of it. Maybe a -1 Initiative on the charge too?
This would suck for Dwarfs a lot of the time though (though I think Dwarfs with Great Weapons isn't too uncommon so may not hurt them too much)

over all though I think the rules for 2 handers work great. Nothing like them on a young blood trying to get those easy kills.
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone tried playing with 2-h striking first on charge?   Has anyone tried playing with 2-h striking first on charge? Icon_minitimeMon 11 Mar 2013 - 22:38

I haven't played with changing how striking works with Great Weapons. I don't know how much it would throw off balance and I think some groups have experimented with this option.

@Pervavita... I often give Great Weapons to my dwarfs. They have low Initiative so usually strike last anyway (except on charge but their low Movement often limits the times they can charge anyway) and therefore do not feel the penalty of Great Weapons as much as other warbands.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
catachanfrog
Elder
Elder
catachanfrog

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone tried playing with 2-h striking first on charge?   Has anyone tried playing with 2-h striking first on charge? Icon_minitimeMon 11 Mar 2013 - 22:52

We play with WH charge rules. I though everyone does it since with "always strike last" bullshit (I can't find explenation why, unless in WH world each great sword weights 100 ponds) rule these weapons are only good:
a)when someone has strogman skill
b)as a backup weapon to easier take down KD models.
Without that house rule gweapons are really uselss and go to "unused weapon museum" with morning stars and other stuff. Besides, strenght bonus at first round is included in flails and no one whines about it.
The only models taking advantage fof this home rule are orcs and dwarves (Rational Lemming's case)who (if not fighting each other) will strike last most of the times (not many warbands with I2 except them).
Back to top Go down
gorenut
Veteran
Veteran
gorenut

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone tried playing with 2-h striking first on charge?   Has anyone tried playing with 2-h striking first on charge? Icon_minitimeMon 11 Mar 2013 - 23:08

catachanfrog wrote:
We play with WH charge rules. I though everyone does it since with "always strike last" bullshit (I can't find explenation why, unless in WH world each great sword weights 100 ponds) rule these weapons are only good:
a)when someone has strogman skill
b)as a backup weapon to easier take down KD models.
Without that house rule gweapons are really uselss and go to "unused weapon museum" with morning stars and other stuff. Besides, strenght bonus at first round is included in flails and no one whines about it.
The only models taking advantage fof this home rule are orcs and dwarves (Rational Lemming's case)who (if not fighting each other) will strike last most of the times (not many warbands with I2 except them).

So you're playing with the 6th-7th ed rules? Cause I think in 8th ed they changed it so even if you charge, everyone strikes in Initiative order. Haven't played a single game of 8th, but I think I saw it in the rulebook.
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone tried playing with 2-h striking first on charge?   Has anyone tried playing with 2-h striking first on charge? Icon_minitimeMon 11 Mar 2013 - 23:16

RationalLemming wrote:

@Pervavita... I often give Great Weapons to my dwarfs. They have low Initiative so usually strike last anyway (except on charge but their low Movement often limits the times they can charge anyway) and therefore do not feel the penalty of Great Weapons as much as other warbands.
That was what I was meaning. As Dwarfs have low Initiative already striking in initiative order for them wouldn't matter so the rule would be mute to them... unless they gained a +1 Initiative advancement.
Back to top Go down
catachanfrog
Elder
Elder
catachanfrog

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone tried playing with 2-h striking first on charge?   Has anyone tried playing with 2-h striking first on charge? Icon_minitimeTue 12 Mar 2013 - 0:28

gorenut wrote:

So you're playing with the 6th-7th ed rules? Cause I think in 8th ed they changed it so even if you charge, everyone strikes in Initiative order. Haven't played a single game of 8th, but I think I saw it in the rulebook.
Yeah that's true. I don't recomend 8ed approach to initiative.
Back to top Go down
Spectre76
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Spectre76

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone tried playing with 2-h striking first on charge?   Has anyone tried playing with 2-h striking first on charge? Icon_minitimeTue 12 Mar 2013 - 16:57

When combined with the "Strongman" skill, 2-handers are absolutely devastating. I still think the ASL combination really balances out the strength bonus, and never really saw a problem with it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thetonezone.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone tried playing with 2-h striking first on charge?   Has anyone tried playing with 2-h striking first on charge? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Has anyone tried playing with 2-h striking first on charge?
Page 1 of 1